Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Biking is so expensive

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Biking is so expensive

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-16, 08:46 PM
mooder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Biking is so expensive

I just spent ~500, new shoes, pedal, tire and clothing. I am broke as hell and still student for a while. I carefully manage the few bucks I have but when it comes to biking I CAN'T CONTROL MYSELF! And it is far from being accessible...just changing from spd to spd-l is a good 200$! Would have been 300 if I did not find my shoes on clearance. Conti GP4000 are 100$ the pair! The rest went on clothing as I only had a cheap bib+ jersey from ebay.
I shopped around (local) every piece of clothing retail at around 100$. Shoes are nearly twice the price and the gp4000, 75$ the tire.
I love this sport but my wallet is telling otherwise. Every time I order, I need to order big to save on cost. There is a minimum for free shipping and I get charged extra fee at the custom. Sucks to be canadian!
Old 03-16-16, 08:51 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Performance Bike Shop clothing is a very good value. I got their second best shorts last month for $27 a pair. More than good enough for my needs. Very advanced.

Why new pedals?

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 03-16-16, 09:11 PM
Velo Dog

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't buy what you don't need. I ride a $4000 bike now, but I don't have 40 times as much fun as I did when my "good" bike cost $100. I have a drawer full of jerseys, but wear T-shirts for most rides. They work fine, and I don't look like an arrogant roadie prick. I replaced the clipless pedals on the bike I ride most with old-school platform pedals and toe clips so I can hop on and go in ordinary shoes (bonus: I'm no slower on the 25-mile commute I've done for 20 years).
You need good tires and good shorts, a helmet and pump. Pretty much everything else is optional. Save your money for things that will make a difference.
Old 03-16-16, 09:15 PM
DOS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 56 Posts
Shop around more. Usually I can find gp4000s for under 75 a pair someplace. Also there are many very good tires that can be had for Under $25.00. Tires like Vittoria Rubino Pro and others roll almost as well and offer a bit more flat protection.
Old 03-16-16, 09:20 PM
bobbyl1966

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Velo Dog do you mean $4000 bike and $100 bike is not make so much different in the average speed?
Old 03-16-16, 09:21 PM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Performance Bike Shop clothing is a very good value. I got their second best shorts last month for $27 a pair. More than good enough for my needs. Very advanced.

Why new pedals?
Agreed. Helmet, padded shorts, good saddle, and a bike that fits well is all I need. Only buy what you need, and the sport becomes reasonable. For 5 bills I would have bought a project bike or two and some parts.

just like most hobbies, it's only as expensive as you let it become.
Old 03-16-16, 09:32 PM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Order from UK. I got shimano R171 shoes and 105 carbon pedals for less than $200 combined. I just got a pair of GP4000s with free tubes for about $70
Old 03-16-16, 09:33 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
You're just a bad shopper.
Old 03-16-16, 09:36 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by mooder
Biking is so expensive
You should try golf!
Old 03-16-16, 09:37 PM
deepakvrao

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by mooder
I just spent ~500, new shoes, pedal, tire and clothing. I am broke as hell and still student for a while. I carefully manage the few bucks I have but when it comes to biking I CAN'T CONTROL MYSELF! And it is far from being accessible...just changing from spd to spd-l is a good 200$! Would have been 300 if I did not find my shoes on clearance. Conti GP4000 are 100$ the pair! The rest went on clothing as I only had a cheap bib+ jersey from ebay.
I shopped around (local) every piece of clothing retail at around 100$. Shoes are nearly twice the price and the gp4000, 75$ the tire.
I love this sport but my wallet is telling otherwise. Every time I order, I need to order big to save on cost. There is a minimum for free shipping and I get charged extra fee at the custom. Sucks to be canadian!
Try Indian. Shipping is huge, and 43% duty plus ****load of papers to get your stuff cleared by customs.
Old 03-16-16, 09:38 PM
FeltF2Tarmac
Woman make me faster

Bikes: 2014 Felt F2 Di2 2018 Tarmac Comp Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Agree about buying from UK. I picked up a helmet that from a US retailer would have been almost $200 more. That's not the case with every thing but it's usually a good margins of savings over US prices even most sale prices. As long as you can wait for it.
Old 03-16-16, 09:42 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 338 Posts
40 years ago I was going through the same thing. Shoes, $45, cleats, another $8. Training tubulars, $12 for whatever was on sale. Racing tubulars, $25. Shorts, $20, wool jersey, $25. Clip-on suspenders to hold the shorts up, $10. Hairnet helmet, $20. All on $2.75 an hour I was making as a lifeguard and resoling Nikes, Tigers, and Tretorns at a running store.

It was a learning experience. Learned how to glue and patch my own tubulars, build my own wheels (and some for my friends), pack my own hubs, pedals, bottom brackets and headsets, and wrap my own handlebars.
Old 03-16-16, 09:56 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 730 Times in 353 Posts
I always get a kick out of people's use of "I'm broke". If you just spent $500 on bike stuff, man you're livin'.

I just spent $30 on tires and tubes. I mulled over that purchase for 2 weeks. Got the tires monday. Couldn't be happier. Michelins at Biketiresdirect, $9.
Old 03-16-16, 10:23 PM
OnyxTiger
Bonafide N00bs

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Quick CX 4, 2014 Fuji Sportif 1.3C Disc, 2012 Fuji SST 2.0 Ultegra Di2

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Should've looked up aliexpress.com for some China kit. I got some bib shorts that ride just fine for $20 - as well as my $70 shorts from Performance Bike. The more costly shorts obviously have better quality in stitching and maybe durability... but the comfort is fairly equal. I usually ride in Tech Tees that cost $10 at Walmart. Though I do have jerseys, I just don't see any more function to those as I do regular, breathable, dry-wicking clothes. Don't need a back pocket... all my stuff fits in my saddle bag. Got a repair stand from Amazon for $50. $500 can get you set up for everything you need apart from the bike, or at least very close to it.

Long as you know how to work with what you've got, you can sit pretty for your situation until you have more disposable funds down the road for the random indulgences.
Old 03-16-16, 10:30 PM
e30jean

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Why new pedals?
+1.

I picked up last year model (2015) performance ultra jerseys for $25 brand new , and performance elite jerseys for $20, couldn't pass up a great deal they had and picked up their perf elite bibs for $35 or so each.
You just have to wait for the right sale
Old 03-16-16, 10:40 PM
KonaRider125

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 4 Star, Kona Splice, Nashbar Carbon road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Dog
Don't buy what you don't need. I ride a $4000 bike now, but I don't have 40 times as much fun as I did when my "good" bike cost $100. I have a drawer full of jerseys, but wear T-shirts for most rides. They work fine, and I don't look like an arrogant roadie prick. I replaced the clipless pedals on the bike I ride most with old-school platform pedals and toe clips so I can hop on and go in ordinary shoes (bonus: I'm no slower on the 25-mile commute I've done for 20 years).
You need good tires and good shorts, a helmet and pump. Pretty much everything else is optional. Save your money for things that will make a difference.
Your an arrogant prick if you wear a jersey? I learn something new everyday!
Old 03-16-16, 10:53 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
If your area has a bike co-op or runs a bicycle swap meet go and take a look.
Bargai galore for nearly new/slightly uses stuff.
Picked up new Kenda 700x23 clinchers for $2 each toward the end of the swap meet.
Old 03-17-16, 01:33 AM
Zef

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Because conti gp4000s are just an absolute necessity.

Yes the sport is expensive. Not as expensive as others like golf, scuba diving, rock climbing, etc. but definitely not on the cheap end of the spectrum (running, basketball).

Your post makes it seem like you are buying high end and/or high priced stuff. Shop around for better prices. wait for sales, by gear a few tiers down from what you are currently buying...for example conti gp4000 is one their higher priced clincher tires while their ultra race is an excellent tire at nearly half the price (the last I checked).

Your b****ing about the expense of equipment after deciding to switch from spd to spd-l...because that was a necessary change....not.

Your 1st world problems along with your customs charges are not going to generate much sympathy if any.

Enjoy you stuff...hopefully it will last.

-j
Old 03-17-16, 03:09 AM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
The OP certainly doesn't sound broke to me. Perhaps a misplaced set of priorities?
Old 03-17-16, 03:53 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This often happens - we'll "get into" some sport or hobby, and the spending becomes addictive. The heelots get you!

At some point, though, passions cool and we figure out how much we really want to spend on having the "right" stuff, and eventually we sort out what we need from what we merely covet. This year I'm supposed to only wear team kit on rides, so that's quashed any impulse to get anything else new, apparel wise. Ironically, that dampening effect has been contagious - I've put off getting some new things I could really use, like replacement cleats, which are way down on the cost spectrum.
Old 03-17-16, 03:55 AM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
havent found an inexpensive hobby since i played pogs in middle school
Old 03-17-16, 05:55 AM
GravelMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Here's a thought: Don't spend what you can't afford.

Did you "want" or "need" new pedals and shoes? As a "broke as hell . . . student" could you have settled for less expensive tires? Every piece of clothing around $100? Where do you shop? I've got four LBSs in my area and each has a discount rack with mid-level shorts and jerseys going for $19-39 and some new basic stuff selling for $29-59.
Old 03-17-16, 06:31 AM
Peter2290

Bikes: Cannondale Supersix Evo Hi-MOD

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by redfooj
havent found an inexpensive hobby since i played pogs in middle school

Me either: cycling, photography, computers, cars, watches. Everything I like is expensive and I'm poor. I guess I should have stayed a computer science major in college so I actually afford stuff.
Old 03-17-16, 06:46 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 976 Posts

Why new pedals?
Unfortunately, shopping on US sites is a very poor deal for Canadians these days. The exchange rate is poor, and US retailers charge too much for shipping. By the time they arrive in Canada, those $27 shorts would cost close to $60. There are Canadian retailers like MEC who offer better value than that. UK sites are far better if you buy over a certain amount, shipping is free and very few orders under $100 are charged import duties
Old 03-17-16, 06:52 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by GravelMN
Here's a thought: Don't spend what you can't afford.

Did you "want" or "need" new pedals and shoes? As a "broke as hell . . . student" could you have settled for less expensive tires? Every piece of clothing around $100? Where do you shop? I've got four LBSs in my area and each has a discount rack with mid-level shorts and jerseys going for $19-39 and some new basic stuff selling for $29-59.
Depends on where and what you're shopping for...

Around here, if you need 1 cycling kit and a pair of tires...you'll walk into and out of the LBS $200USD poorer. You'll struggle to find a cycling jersey under $50 or shorts (even reg shorts) under $80 at all whether discounted or new. Tires for $50USD/each is about the best you can hope for and get something known to be reliable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.