Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Garage Security

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Garage Security

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-17, 07:43 AM
mrblue

Bikes: Canyon, Bowman & Colnago

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 20 Posts
Garage Security

I wasn't sure where to post this but I figured this is where the cleverest tinkerers of the cycling world hung out, who would most likely be able to offer up some ideas.

I have four bikes. They're nothing super fancy or super valuable (all mid-range), but they do hold value to me in that it took many years, and many grueling hours at a day job, to get them how I like them. And I'd like to hold on to them for the foreseeable future.

Having said that, I am looking into a garage motion detector for my alarm system. Aside from that, does anyone have any ideas for how to physically secure the bikes in the garage? What should I secure them to? Is there some kind of easily installed bike rack to lock them to, similar to what one would find bolted to a sidewalk?

I guess my point is, even with my home alarm system, once it is set off, it would allow a thief at least 30 seconds to grab a bike and run before it alerted the police of a break in. Of course my home owners insurance would cover the theft to some degree, but I'd like to not get to that point.

Thanks for you input.
Old 02-06-17, 07:46 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
my garage door opener has an electronic deadbolt. It will also email or text me if my garage door is left open. Right now there isn't a lot of crime in my area. If there is a big decline in the prison population so everyone around here loses their jobs, I might worry more about the bikes.
Old 02-06-17, 08:15 AM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Depends on how much room you need. Certainly lockable floor mount racks exist, if you have the space.
Not sold as lockable, but easy to add locks to is the wall mount: https://www.storeyourboard.com/stead...FZa1wAod8HYBQQ
Mounting these would be easy on the floor space and straight forward for stud walls, a little more challenging for
concrete walls. Police alerts value depends on response time and can't be depended on to foil a quick break in
and grab, so locking the bikes in place with a fairly tough to compromise locking system would be needed.
Another interesting lockable rack: https://www.bikerack.ca/lock_up_1.html

You have to consider the security of the lock itself. Numerous posts on the lack of security in many "bike locks"
have been made. You really need to weigh the security versus the owner hassle and thief hassle factors.

Last edited by sch; 02-06-17 at 08:20 AM.
Old 02-06-17, 08:37 AM
cradom

Bikes: Schwinn Sport Tourer, Dawes Lightning Tourer

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Is your garage finished? If not drill a large hole in a stud for a chain. Might not stop them but they will have to work for it.
Also if using a door opener, make sure no one can pull the release rope from outside.
That's been a problem around here somewhat. They stick a wire over the top of the door and catch that rope to release the door and open it.
Old 02-06-17, 08:52 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,876 Times in 2,315 Posts
The only point I'll add is that if you have gardening/lawn tools in the garage too they can be used to cut any lock/cable/chain you have securing the bikes. When I had my shop in Cleveland I heard of this happening a couple of times. Andy.
Old 02-06-17, 08:54 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by cradom
Also if using a door opener, make sure no one can pull the release rope from outside.
That's been a problem around here somewhat. They stick a wire over the top of the door and catch that rope to release the door and open it.
I've always removed the pull cord release rope from my garage door so that can't happen. I tied an "S-hook" to the pull rope so I can clip it in place if I ever need it but it's never left on the door itself.
Old 02-06-17, 09:09 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
I have lots of bike and a big bike rack. I lock up my 4 valuable ones with a chain and lock to the rack. The garage door is manual, so I put a lock through the end of the long extendable bar so the door cant be opened.
Old 02-06-17, 10:19 AM
CroMo Mike 
All Campy All The Time

Bikes: Listed in my signature.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 63 Posts
If you leave a garage door remote in a car in the driveway they can use that to get into the garage. This includes the built in remotes some cars come with. Lock the car? They break the car window.
Old 02-06-17, 10:19 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
A layered defense is the best. Keeping thieves out of the garage is the best starting point of a layered security system. If your garage door has a manual bolt (if not fit one) or better, one on each side, use it and fit a sturdy padlock to it. Most of them have holes for a padlock, otherwise drill one.

Put a magnetic or breakaway switch on the door and tie it into your alarm system so that if it is opened the alarm will be immediately activated. Get a loud siren on the alarm.

Then. lock your bikes to an immovable object like a lally column, or a reinforced hole through a stud, or an eye anchored to the floor, with a heavy chain or cable and good lock. Lock the wheels to the frames with a good, tightly-fitting U-lock. Basically take all of the steps you would when locking a bike outside.

For bonus points, get a dog, any size really but bigger is better, or more than one, and give him the run of the garage. They make good companions, too.

The other suggestions about keeping your garage door always closed are good ones.
Old 02-06-17, 10:43 AM
Kopsis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Security cameras in plain view covering each point of entry provide a layer of deterrence prior to the thief gaining access. Making it difficult to tell when the home is unoccupied also helps (automated lighting, leaving vehicles at home when traveling, etc.).
Old 02-06-17, 02:27 PM
Vintage_Cyclist

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 176 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
A layered defense is the best. Keeping thieves out of the garage is the best starting point of a layered security system. If your garage door has a manual bolt (if not fit one) or better, one on each side, use it and fit a sturdy padlock to it. Most of them have holes for a padlock, otherwise drill one.

Put a magnetic or breakaway switch on the door and tie it into your alarm system so that if it is opened the alarm will be immediately activated. Get a loud siren on the alarm.

Then. lock your bikes to an immovable object like a lally column, or a reinforced hole through a stud, or an eye anchored to the floor, with a heavy chain or cable and good lock. Lock the wheels to the frames with a good, tightly-fitting U-lock. Basically take all of the steps you would when locking a bike outside.

For bonus points, get a dog, any size really but bigger is better, or more than one, and give him the run of the garage. They make good companions, too.

The other suggestions about keeping your garage door always closed are good ones.
Excellent recap. Layers increase the time needed to steal something, and time increases the chances of discovery.

In addition to the normal lock on my garage door, I drilled holes and installed eyelets in the door and the driveway, that line-up when the door is closed, for a heavy padlock.

Inside, my bikes are stored standing up against the wall. I use an old aluminum extension ladder (about 20 feet and doubled up in closed position), that lays across the base of the wall, to attach heavy cables to lock the bikes with. Bikes are paired, with one cable going through the rear wheel, and one through the front. Either or both catch the frames as well.

While all of this can be defeated, it would take more time than most burglars would usually want to spend at a place a hostile homeowner, neighbor or cop might end-up appearing at. Usually, they're going for a quick grab-and-go.
Old 02-06-17, 04:24 PM
bikeme

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 31 Posts
I have all my bikes cabled and padlocked to a boat trailer so that no one can just grab one and go. Others can drill and lag-in a big eye bolt to a stud. You can get 3/8" cables from 6 to 30 feet long at any big box store. Additionally, I have a zip tie on the emergency pull cord lever so a thief can't pull it with a coat hanger from outside and roll the door up. Lastly, we don't park any car inside right now due to clutter (lol), so I can use the door's jamb slider to prevent it from being opened at all except from inside.
Old 02-06-17, 04:51 PM
migrantwing

Bikes: '07 Carrera TDF / 2011 Ghost Race Actinum 5000

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Drill, hammer, smash a hole in the floor. Get some kind of tough anchor in there at least 8 inches down. Mix some strong concrete. Use a good, tight fitting U lock and a good chain and padlock, the more the better. Lock all bikes together. Or, take a brick out/part of the wall and set the anchor within the wall.

I cut the top off a butane gas bottle and concreted that into my floor. Just make sure all the gas is out of it before you start cutting, especially if using flame

Strengthen doors, windows and use good locks/padlocks.
Old 02-06-17, 05:30 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
To a large extent it depends on your usage. An intelligent thief can have access to a lot of time and the full tool arsenal of your garage (cutting tools!). Fortunately, most thieves are not of that variety, and a modest chain can easily protect against a door left open.

A garage with no cars can be fairly readily secured. A garage with daily driven cars is going to be very limited in options for door security.

Concrete anchors are an excellent option, plus a heavy duty security chain. Wall-anchors or other options also work well, be creative! Remember, something is only as secure as the weakest link. Don't buy a mega chain if you're bolting into a wimpy hasp.
Old 02-06-17, 06:26 PM
Choctaw

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No matter how badly my wife cries. I bring mine inside, through the house and into my office. When I purchased my bike the dealer said the garage is the place most people get their bikes stolen.
Old 02-06-17, 06:59 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Move to a better neighborhood!
Old 02-06-17, 07:07 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,585 Times in 1,433 Posts
First rule of security ----- Out of sight, out of mind.

Most bikes that are stolen from garages are stolen for garages that were left open, especially in homes where the garage faces the street, rather than the side or rear of the house.

I see these open garages all the time when riding on suburban side streets, and call it "window shopping for burglars".

So, step one, move the bikes to the hidden side of the garage, if possible, and keep the doors closed. Step two, use some kind of chain or heavy cable to slow any potential thief down, and convince him that he simply won't have the time to escape if he continues trying for the bike.

If your wife has some interesting knick knacks, you might move them near the bike, so the thief might choose between an easy score o risking getting caught going for the bikes.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 02-06-17, 08:21 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
Good Homeowners insurance.

Epoxy and eye bolts drilled into the floor and epoxied.

https://lockitt.com/Lockitt/category/SPAN.html

https://www.toggler.com/wejit/power_sert.html

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Quikrete-...2031/203604182

Last edited by dedhed; 02-06-17 at 08:27 PM.
Old 02-06-17, 10:00 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
At least cable your bike to something in the garage. About 10 years ago my mountain bike was stolen when the door was open when my wife was working around the house on her flowers.
Old 02-06-17, 10:07 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,585 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
At least cable your bike to something in the garage. About 10 years ago my mountain bike was stolen when the door was open when my wife was working around the house on her flowers.
You've confirmed my earlier point. The best security move is to KEEP THE GARAGE DOOR CLOSED except when moving stuff in and out. People get lazy and assume they're OK working in the back yard, with an open garage door in front.

This let's any passing stranger know what's available, and makes taking something a 15 second process, with little chance of getting caught.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 02-06-17, 10:09 PM
xenologer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Have your Rottweiler sleep in the garage at night. With his leash anchored to the bikes.
Old 02-06-17, 10:27 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1612 Post(s)
Liked 2,594 Times in 1,225 Posts
I just pile mine on top of each other. By the time they separate the pedals and handlebars from each other, my German neighbor will have secured the area.
Old 02-06-17, 10:47 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1612 Post(s)
Liked 2,594 Times in 1,225 Posts
Really, a visible security camera and a sign out front. Something as simple as a tether will slow down the quick snatch thief. And, close the door...
Old 02-07-17, 02:05 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
The only point I'll add is that if you have gardening/lawn tools in the garage too they can be used to cut any lock/cable/chain you have securing the bikes. When I had my shop in Cleveland I heard of this happening a couple of times. Andy.
I have to chuckle on this one because I cable lock my bikes and they are right next to my work bench, with all the power tools a thief would need to steel the bikes. Even have extension cords handy. But it will stop someone from just grabbing one and riding off. Of course, side cutters are all that are needed for cables.

Locks and an alarm would probably be the best bet.

John
Old 02-08-17, 05:40 AM
okane

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Best protection is a good neighborhood as in neighborhood watch. Second layer is metal door with very small frosted windows at top so inquisitive thiefs can't see what's inside, Third keep door closed except when in sight of the garage door (door is closed when cutting grass cause I cut from back to front and sometimes entrance is out of sight). Fourth, keep bikes at far end of garage so that scum canvassing the neighborhood have difficulty seeing bikes when the door is open. Five, alarm system with loud siren. Six, chain or secure bikes.

Nothing is fool proof and determined theifs will get what they want but don't make it easy.

Spoke with 2 people 2 years ago from another part of town who left garage open to the alley in back while they were in the back yard, heard a noise and went to see what was happening and were just in time to see scum riding away with their bikes. It was a city environment and scum was long gone by the time they could get car keys from the house and start a futile chase. Neither were recovered. My guess is they had a nearby stash house or garage, put the bikes inside and had a good laugh when they saw the owners looking for their lost bikes.

Last edited by okane; 02-08-17 at 05:43 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.