Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Sobering News for All of Us

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Sobering News for All of Us

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-23, 01:26 PM
Roughstuff
Punk Rock Lives

Location: Throughout the west in a van, on my bike, and in the forest

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker with BRIFTERS!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 40 Posts
Hand held cell phones, in any case

Originally Posted by wolfchild
Laws against distracted driving don't work. People continue to break these laws...There should be a law which would force all auto manufacturers and drivers to have a software installed which prevents cell phone usage while driving. Another serious distraction is that silly stupid infotainment screen right on the dash board which keeps getting bigger and bigger with each model year, there is absolutely no need or purpose for it.

I can see the restriction for hand held phones. It would be better to put the software in the PHONES, rather than in the car? It is the phone which is the provocateur in these cases.

As for people continuing to break laws, the emasculation of police has become endemic. Keeping the subject on cycling, how many times have you read about a cyclist killed by someone with multiple drunk driving convictions, and in some cases multiple violent felonies and fleeing the scene of the crime. The country needs to ask itself: why are these animals even on the street?
Old 06-18-23, 10:42 PM
DidntHearU

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
dd

Last edited by DidntHearU; 07-02-23 at 04:13 PM.
Old 06-19-23, 08:07 AM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 456 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Laws against distracted driving don't work. People continue to break these laws...There should be a law which would force all auto manufacturers and drivers to have a software installed which prevents cell phone usage while driving. Another serious distraction is that silly stupid infotainment screen right on the dash board which keeps getting bigger and bigger with each model year, there is absolutely no need or purpose for it.
Everything you said.
I see drivers watching movies on a regular basis.
Old 06-19-23, 09:16 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by Roughstuff
I can see the restriction for hand held phones. It would be better to put the software in the PHONES, rather than in the car? It is the phone which is the provocateur in these cases.

except that there are hundreds of perfectly legitimate and perfectly safe uses for a cell phone while in motion, as a passenger on a bus, train, uber, taxi, plane, boat. the dangerous part is the driving the automobile part, not the phone part. a camera in the ceiling above the driver’s seat which detects the screen of the phone would be dead simple, and would not violate the rights of the millions who use phones legally.

driving is a privilege, not a right.
Old 06-19-23, 09:59 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,921 Posts
Default the liability of any vehicle vs pedestrian [using non motorized transportation] onto the motorist[s] involved, by a form of law.
Make it hard for an operator of a vehicle to defend their case, as hard as possible.
instead of developing protected bike lanes, "protected" cyclist laws might be cheaper & more fruitful.
Old 07-16-23, 08:56 PM
Ttom

Bikes: Kona Sutra SE

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 34 Posts
When I see the police texting and driving I figure it is here to stay. Everybody does it and they aren't gonna stop.