Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Recommend source of "hard" solder

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-15, 07:29 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts

I just used up a little coil of hard solder that lasted me 20+ years, and have no idea the brand any more. Can anybody recommend a source of such a thing, maybe an ounce of silver bearing "hard" solder and flux for soldering ferrous metals? This would be for use with a propane torch.
Old 01-25-15, 07:47 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
A Google search for "silver solder" got a ton of hits and sources. One particular one I recognize and can vouch for is Brownells, the g-u-nnsmithing (forum censors won't let you spell out g-u-n) supply firm. Here is their link to the silver solder pages: https://www.brownells.com/items/silver-solder.aspx
Old 01-25-15, 08:07 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
TIX solder, the hardest soft solder on earth:
Tix Solder (Pkg. of 20 Three Inch Sticks)
Search Results - Micro-Mark
Great vendor, caters to model makers but lots of generally useful small tools and supplies.
Old 01-25-15, 08:15 PM
long john

Bikes: cuevas

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
I just used up a little coil of hard solder that lasted me 20+ years, and have no idea the brand any more. Can anybody recommend a source of such a thing, maybe an ounce of silver bearing "hard" solder and flux for soldering ferrous metals? This would be for use with a propane torch.
Just about all welding stores carry Harris products. Harris has hard silver solder.
Old 01-25-15, 09:41 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Can silver solder be used on stainless spokes?
Old 01-25-15, 10:34 PM
Gresp15C

Originally Posted by dwmckee
Can silver solder be used on stainless spokes?
I've used silver solder with stainless. In fact, while in grad school I soldered stainless fittings for high vacuum systems -- my biggest job was a 4 inch diameter joint using an oxygen hydrogen torch. That was fun. These days, as suggested by my post, I only use it for odd jobs.

But, will silver solder produce a joint that's strong enough to repair a broken spoke? I doubt it. I'd also wonder about the effect of the soldering temperature and atmosphere on the strength of the spoke wire.

In my experience, getting a good joint with silver solder takes some practice and an understanding of how the process works. Proud as I am of my skills, I wouldn't attempt a structural repair on a bike without getting some bike specific advice from the experts.
Old 01-25-15, 10:37 PM
randomgear

Bikes: '89 Specialized Hardrock Fixed Gear Commuter; 1984? Dawes Atlantis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I've used Harris 45% CF silver to braze stainless steel bits, but not spokes. I don't see a reason it wouldn't work. Just be aware that the 45% silver looks more "golden" than silver or stainless steel.
Old 01-26-15, 03:06 AM
RoadGuy

Bikes: 89 Schwinn 754, 90 Trek 1100, 93 Trek 2300, 94 Trek 1400 (under construction), 94 Trek 930, 97 Trek 1400

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Silver solder has been the most common kind since solder with lead as the primary component has been made illegal for most purposes.

You can get silver solder from any home improvement store as lead has not been allowed for use on plumbing for many years now. Lead solder is also not used for soldering most electronic circuit boards either. So you can get silver solder at most hobby stores, and electronic supply stores as well.
Old 01-26-15, 06:47 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 475 Posts
The stuff you can get at hardware stores is usually the 5% silver type that is just for soldering pipes, wire, etc. and has no real structural strength. If you want to join steel or stainless parts with any strength, you'll need at least 45% silver. It's not really solder, but brazing rod with silver for a lower melting temp, better flow and the ability to wet out on stainless. It can be found at most bicycle frame building suppliers. Cycle Design is one supplier Silver Brazing Wire « Cycle Design
Old 01-26-15, 07:17 AM
Gresp15C

Originally Posted by dsaul
The stuff you can get at hardware stores is usually the 5% silver type that is just for soldering pipes, wire, etc. and has no real structural strength. If you want to join steel or stainless parts with any strength, you'll need at least 45% silver. It's not really solder, but brazing rod with silver for a lower melting temp, better flow and the ability to wet out on stainless. It can be found at most bicycle frame building suppliers. Cycle Design is one supplier Silver Brazing Wire « Cycle Design
Yes, just to clarify, that's what I'm looking for. I have a fair supply of lead free electrical solder, since I run a small electronics business. In addition to lacking structural strength, I'm pretty sure that the tin-silver solder doesn't adhere to ferrous metals very well if at all.
Old 01-26-15, 09:29 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

But, will silver solder produce a joint that's strong enough to repair a broken spoke? I doubt it. I'd also wonder about the effect of the soldering temperature and atmosphere on the strength of the spoke wire.
Highly doubtful as no solder is anywhere near as strong as the stainless steel base metal and the joint would have so little surface area (assuming a butt joint, not overlapped) that failure is almost assured.
Old 01-26-15, 03:01 PM
Booger1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
On silver solder,the higher the number(more silver) the stronger the braze and the less it will fill gaps.56% silver is about as good as it gets without getting too special....But you will not fill any gaps with it.

You can buy Harris at any welding shop or supply.Get the flux you need for the material your brazing.....Or go old school and mix Borax with water and make your own.

You can find some good deals on silver on the Ebay.

Last edited by Booger1; 01-26-15 at 03:05 PM.
Old 01-26-15, 05:48 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

I've used silver solder with stainless. In fact, while in grad school I soldered stainless fittings for high vacuum systems -- my biggest job was a 4 inch diameter joint using an oxygen hydrogen torch. That was fun. These days, as suggested by my post, I only use it for odd jobs.

In my experience, getting a good joint with silver solder takes some practice and an understanding of how the process works. Proud as I am of my skills, I wouldn't attempt a structural repair on a bike without getting some bike specific advice from the experts.
I was asking about spokes because some folks used to wire tie spoles where they cross and solder the joint to make the wheel more rigid. I was not thinking of soldering a butt joint to fix a broken spoke!

Thanks for the answers.
Old 01-26-15, 07:25 PM
HillRider

Originally Posted by dwmckee
I was asking about spokes because some folks used to wire tie spoles where they cross and solder the joint to make the wheel more rigid. I was not thinking of soldering a butt joint to fix a broken spoke!
OK, good to know. BTW, tying and soldering spoke crossings is an old fashion, ineffective and discredited method that was claimed to make the wheel stronger. It didn't. The only advantage to the technique was that a broken spoke wouldn't be able to flop around and get into the derailleur or fork blades as easily. Maybe worth the trouble if you break a lot of spokes.

Here is Sheldon Brown's reprint of a Jobst Brandt experiment to see if tying and soldering improved wheel rigidity: https://sheldonbrown.com/brandt/tied-soldered.html

Last edited by HillRider; 01-26-15 at 07:32 PM.
Old 01-26-15, 08:02 PM
dscheidt

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by randomgear
I've used Harris 45% CF silver to braze stainless steel bits, but not spokes. I don't see a reason it wouldn't work. Just be aware that the 45% silver looks more "golden" than silver or stainless steel.
Harris sell a 56% silver filler as well. It's pretty silver colored. It costs more, of course, since it's got more silver in it, but it's also easier to work with. If an ounce is going to last the OP 20 years, it's probably worth it.
Old 01-26-15, 08:18 PM
Gresp15C

Thanks for all of the tips. Like @dscheidt says, my anticipated use is minimal, but I have to keep some around for the odd job, and don't mind paying for good stuff.

The previous roll surely paid for itself many times over.
Old 01-26-15, 10:10 PM
dwmckee

Originally Posted by HillRider
OK, good to know. BTW, tying and soldering spoke crossings is an old fashion, ineffective and discredited method that was claimed to make the wheel stronger. It didn't. The only advantage to the technique was that a broken spoke wouldn't be able to flop around and get into the derailleur or fork blades as easily. Maybe worth the trouble if you break a lot of spokes.

Here is Sheldon Brown's reprint of a Jobst Brandt experiment to see if tying and soldering improved wheel rigidity: Tied and Soldered Wheels by Jobst Brandt
Thanks. I was mostly asking just out of curiosity. Not having any trouble these days.
Old 01-27-15, 08:59 AM
arex
Abuse Magnet

Bikes: '91 Mtn Tek Vertical, '74 Raleigh Sports, '72 Raleigh Twenty, '84 Univega Gran Turismo, '09 Surly Karate Monkey, '92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, '86 Miyata 310, '76 Raleigh Shopper

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
A Google search for "silver solder" got a ton of hits and sources. One particular one I recognize and can vouch for is Brownells, the g-u-nnsmithing (forum censors won't let you spell out g-u-n) supply firm. Here is their link to the silver solder pages: https://www.brownells.com/items/silver-solder.aspx
+1 for gunsmiths.
Old 01-27-15, 09:06 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Jewelers particularly art Metalwork uses the 'hard-medium-Easy Silver solders a lot , to solder 1 piece together with hard,
then attach it to the rest of the larger piece with something with an Easier.. ie lower melting point..
so 2nd joint wont melt 1st solder making the 1st one come un-soldered

So reading the melting point Data is where you can judge how a particular silver solder can be used in such sequential assemblies .

Last edited by fietsbob; 01-27-15 at 09:10 AM.
Old 01-27-15, 09:34 AM
HillRider

Originally Posted by arex
+1 for gunsmiths.
Wow, they let you spell it out!
Old 01-28-15, 06:47 AM
cradom

Bikes: Schwinn Sport Tourer, Dawes Lightning Tourer

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quick question...
Most solder from a hardware or plumbing store is acid core whereas electronic solder is rosin core.
Does it matter which kind to solder cable ends and whatnot?
Old 01-28-15, 07:55 AM
HillRider

Originally Posted by cradom
Quick question...
Most solder from a hardware or plumbing store is acid core whereas electronic solder is rosin core.
Does it matter which kind to solder cable ends and whatnot?
For galvanized cables, either will do. For stainless steel cables, neither will do.
Old 01-29-15, 06:23 AM
cradom

Bikes: Schwinn Sport Tourer, Dawes Lightning Tourer

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks.
Old 01-29-15, 08:52 AM
Curtis Odom 

Bikes: BSA, Confente, Hetchins, Peugeot, Winter, De Rosa (modern), Schwinn, etc...

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 17 Posts
Stick with Harris products. Stay-Brite solder and Stay-Clean liquid flux with Tie-an-Solder spokes. This is all about cleanliness and enough heat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
TAS2.jpg (81.1 KB, 11 views)