Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Replacing BB/crank on '88 Centurion Ironman Expert... bunch of (dumb) questions

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-10, 08:58 PM
nebben123

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I would like to replace the BB and crankset on a stock 88 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott. The BB size is 68-113, the crank is 52/39, and the cassette is 7-speed. All components are Shimano 105. I took the BB apart and it is completely worn with pitting and scarring on the spindle. I'm guessing the hubs probably need replacement too.

Since it seems all components these days are 9 or 10 speed, will they work with my bike? For instance, I was looking at replacing the crank with a Shimano FC-5700-S paired with an appropriate BB, however it says it requires a 10 speed chain. Will it still work with a 7 or 8 speed chain?

I am replacing the rims with Velocity "Deep V" rims, so I figure it's a good time to swap out the hubs. Will any 126mm modern hub work with the 7-speed cassette? I would like to keep it so I don't have to replace the shifters too. Plus I don't ever need more than that. I barely shift as it is since it's so flat where I live.

I'm trying to keep my budget under $400. I have done some bike maintenance before but this is the first time I have replaced parts and it is confusing since bike components have changed so much in the last 20+ years. Please give me any recommendations you have that will allow me to upgrade the aforementioned parts (bb, crank, hubs), without getting stuff that is too "cheap" -- I would like to stay with replacements that are at least as good as the original 105 gear.

Thanks,
Ben
Old 06-30-10, 09:09 PM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by nebben123
I would like to replace the BB and crankset on a stock 88 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott. The BB size is 68-113, the crank is 52/39, and the cassette is 7-speed. All components are Shimano 105. I took the BB apart and it is completely worn with pitting and scarring on the spindle. I'm guessing the hubs probably need replacement too.
Are you interested in upgrading or do you just want a working bike? Square taper bottom brackets are easy to find and cheap. You could be back on the road for under $20 using the same crank.

Since it seems all components these days are 9 or 10 speed, will they work with my bike? For instance, I was looking at replacing the crank with a Shimano FC-5700-S paired with an appropriate BB, however it says it requires a 10 speed chain. Will it still work with a 7 or 8 speed chain?
Probably. I've had issues with 9 speed triple chainrings but I've heard that doubles aren't nearly as picky. Worst case, you just use a 9 speed chain keeping everything else the same.

I am replacing the rims with Velocity "Deep V" rims, so I figure it's a good time to swap out the hubs. Will any 126mm modern hub work with the 7-speed cassette? I would like to keep it so I don't have to replace the shifters too. Plus I don't ever need more than that. I barely shift as it is since it's so flat where I live.
"126mm modern hub" is an oxymoron. All modern road hubs are 130mm these days. Fitting one in your 126mm frame will likely not be an issue at all though. Rear triangles stretch surprisingly easily. Or you could have the hub respaced to 128mm (typically easily done) which would make it even easier to fit. The freehub body will be too long for a 7 speed cassette but spacers are readily available to make things work. I think the necessary spacer thickness is 5mm. Link: https://www.amazon.com/Wheels-Manufac.../dp/B000C17KV4

I'm trying to keep my budget under $400. I have done some bike maintenance before but this is the first time I have replaced parts and it is confusing since bike components have changed so much in the last 20+ years. Please give me any recommendations you have that will allow me to upgrade the aforementioned parts (bb, crank, hubs), without getting stuff that is too "cheap" -- I would like to stay with replacements that are at least as good as the original 105 gear.

Thanks,
Ben
More than likely, your hubs are salvageable which will save you a bunch of money. Likely worst case, you need new cones and ball bearings. Put them together will new grease and properly adjust them and they'll feel like new. If you want new wheels, there are a lot of off-the-shelf options for ~$200 that will do the trick. Try to save your current hubs first though (I would).
Old 06-30-10, 09:55 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
Just get on eBay and buy the same stuff already on the bike. Tons of new, used, NOS and in between show up constantly. I have several 126mm bikes and the conversion to modern is a PITA getting everything lined up and then there is the thing of these so called 20 speed 10 speeds and index shifting and brifters and all of that. The "many" speed bikes just don't seem to friction shift very cleanly like the six speed cluster do/did.
Old 06-30-10, 11:01 PM
nebben123

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is a replacement BB like this any good? I can't imagine quality for only $8 but maybe I'm wrong?

https://cgi.ebay.com/Shimano-BB-LP28-...item5888484bae

It also seems like some of these newer BBs have plastic cups (is this the right term?) on one side. Is this an issue? I'd rather pay for metal. Hell, I'll pay $40-70 for a BB if it's gonna last.
Old 06-30-10, 11:03 PM
nebben123

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This one looks better, no? And likely what I need?

https://cgi.ebay.com/IRD-QB-55-JIS-Sq...3#ht_500wt_928
Old 06-30-10, 11:05 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
Throw a un-54 in there, replace $5 worth of bearings in the hubs, $10 worth of cones if needed - good to go

https://bicyclewarehouse.com/product/...te=google_base
Old 07-01-10, 06:27 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
The plastic cup square taper bottom brackets are fine. I've used them for a lot of miles on my own bikes and seen them last just as long on others' bikes. All you do differently is use a lower torque on the plastic cup side. There are better square taper bottom brackets out there if you want to spend more:

https://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...8&category=268

You need a JIS taper (not Campy) for your cranks.

Either of the bottom brackets you linked to will work fine too.