Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tandem Roof Racks in Europe?

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-10, 03:09 AM
tandemracer
Geek

Bikes: Speedvagen, Serotta Ti, Snyder track, Co-Motion Periscope Trident Convertible, Mosaic GS-1, more

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We have moved to Poland for business for the next few years. We brought our bikes with us and purchased a station wagon (kombi) assuming that we could just buy a roof rack for it like we have in the states. Turns out that Thule does not sell the 558P tandem roof rack in Europe. Yakima is not available - according to their website the closest dealer is in Newfoundland.

Short of buying one on our next trip stateside, is there a good quality tandem roof rack available in Europe?
Old 10-06-10, 12:24 PM
dubbelop

Bikes: Santos Dual Travel touring tandem, MSC Zion MTB-tandem, Santos SCC03 MTB, Santos STR01 trekking bike, Cannondale F500 MTB, Kalkhoff E-bike, Centurion Cross 4000 cyclocross bike (converted to road bike)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tandemracer
We have moved to Poland for business for the next few years. We brought our bikes with us and purchased a station wagon (kombi) assuming that we could just buy a roof rack for it like we have in the states. Turns out that Thule does not sell the 558P tandem roof rack in Europe. Yakima is not available - according to their website the closest dealer is in Newfoundland.

Short of buying one on our next trip stateside, is there a good quality tandem roof rack available in Europe?
There certainly is: it's made by the Dutch company Vittorio. The tandems is loaded onto the rack at the side of the car and after securing it, the entire rack plus tandem goes horizontally onto the roof. Look at THIS PAGE for details (requires QuickTime). There also is a PDF file on the site.
I know for a fact that Vittorio ships these racks by mail to Germany, hopefully they'll want to ship to Poland too.
Old 10-06-10, 01:30 PM
tandemracer
Geek

Bikes: Speedvagen, Serotta Ti, Snyder track, Co-Motion Periscope Trident Convertible, Mosaic GS-1, more

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting rack, but I don't think I would put any of our tandems on it. I may just have to get an ATOC shipped over from the States especially since we will be getting a triple next year and will need to be able to carry that also.
Old 10-06-10, 01:33 PM
uspspro
Tandem Mountain Climber

Bikes: Calfee Tandem, Litespeed Gravel, SuperSix Evo HM, Larry vs. Harry Bullitt (e-cargo)

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Damn! That's pretty cool!
Old 10-07-10, 02:26 AM
Peak Team
Hill Riding Team

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You could try these:

https://www.atera.co.uk/scripts/rbveh...p?query=AR2213

https://www.pendle-bike.co.uk/shoppin...nted-Racks.php

https://www.discountbicycles.co.uk/bi...php?xProd=6780
Old 10-08-10, 04:15 PM
dubbelop

Bikes: Santos Dual Travel touring tandem, MSC Zion MTB-tandem, Santos SCC03 MTB, Santos STR01 trekking bike, Cannondale F500 MTB, Kalkhoff E-bike, Centurion Cross 4000 cyclocross bike (converted to road bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tandemracer
Interesting rack, but I don't think I would put any of our tandems on it. I may just have to get an ATOC shipped over from the States especially since we will be getting a triple next year and will need to be able to carry that also.
Just curious: why wouldn't you put any of your tandems on this Vittorio rack? Personal experience (and that of a lot of other - mainly Dutch) people tells me that the tandem is secured rock solid to the rack and thus to the car. What more can one wish for? Except for space for another bike or a luggage container on the roof, of course

If you prefer keeping your tandem upright on the roof, this D. Frey tandemrack from Germany might be an alternative.

Last edited by dubbelop; 10-08-10 at 04:18 PM.
Old 10-08-10, 06:04 PM
tandemracer
Geek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dubbelop
Just curious: why wouldn't you put any of your tandems on this Vittorio rack? Personal experience (and that of a lot of other - mainly Dutch) people tells me that the tandem is secured rock solid to the rack and thus to the car. What more can one wish for? Except for space for another bike or a luggage container on the roof, of course
I am sure the Vittorio rack will get a tandem from point A to point B without dumping it on the side of the highway. The things I don't like about the rack in no particular order are:
1 - As you stated, I would like to be able to carry additional bikes on the roof.
2 - I don't like to attach my bikes to the rack at point on the frame where the finish could be damaged
3 - We will be carrying at least 3 different tandems on the rack. Just a guess, but it looks like this rack may need a good bit of fiddling when switching between tandems.
4 - The frame brackets don't look big enough for the oversized tubes on our Ventana MTB tandem
5 - I would be surprised if we could find a way to safely attach a triplet to the rack. We don't have a triplet now, but we are ordering one soon.
6 - We live in a 4th floor apartment in the middle of the city with no garage and no elevator. If I need to remove the rack to carry something else besides a tandem on the roof I would have to carry this rack up 4 flights of stairs and find someplace to store it. I am already using all of our available wall space for bike storage.

If you prefer keeping your tandem upright on the roof, this D. Frey tandemrack from Germany might be an alternative.
Better. But I still like the ATOC much better.