Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Wet Weather Gear Suggestions Please.

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-13, 06:00 PM
CaptCarrot

Bikes: Heavily modded Cannondale Hooligan 1 (2009) and an upgraded Raleigh Max Zero-G

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I live in the UK, so weather is very variable.

I use my bike mainly to commute, and am very bad at getting up in the morning. I wear a uniform for my job, and while we have places at work to change and store clothes, I don't want to add that time to my morning.

I need to find some good quality, light weight, water proofs that will go over my uniform.

I have considered a rain cape, but as I have a very upright position, I am worried about gusting winds.

I also sweat A LOT, at the slightest thing - so it has to be really breathable.

The rain cape does seem to be one of the better solutions where sweat is concerned though.

Budget is limited - BUT if I can justify the cost, I will consider the higher end options.

I have a full mud-guard set-up.

So I am looking at

A rain-cape OR jacket

trousers

shoe covers.

Thank you.
Old 09-07-13, 06:22 PM
droy45
tougher than a boiled owl

Bikes: Fetish Cycles Fixation / Fuji S12S / Gary Fisher MTB / Raleigh Grand Prix / Ross Professional / Kent comfort cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I find any type of raingear is just too hot and nothing really breaths well or it wouldn't keep you dry. You more than likely will get wet from sweat or rain. I always found it worth while to take the time to change when you get to work. Start a little earlier if thats feasible.
Old 09-07-13, 06:46 PM
CaptCarrot

Bikes: Heavily modded Cannondale Hooligan 1 (2009) and an upgraded Raleigh Max Zero-G

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's fine when I start any time after 8. But when I am on an early shift with a 5am start, in the middle of winter - you have to crowbar me out of bed. If I am to cycle instead of drive my lovely warm car, then waterproofs need to be able to go over my uniform and not replace it.

That's the reason the rain cape appeals to me - but it is the issue of wind that is stopping me from trying one.
Old 09-07-13, 06:49 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If it has to go OVER your work clothes, buy two sizes too big.
Old 09-07-13, 06:50 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Cape is no wider than you are.. the Grunden's Portugal made one that I Found on Riv Bike's site is my heavy storm gear .

it doesn't breathe. but under there it's open, so ventilation is good.
Old 09-07-13, 11:36 PM
BaggerRyder

Bikes: Gary Fisher Sugar 4+, Kona Rove

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you sweat a lot, there isn't really a piece of rain gear that's going to keep your uniform dry. You're going to sweat more underneath rain gear no matter how expensive it is and how breathable it states it is.
Old 09-08-13, 12:34 AM
Isaiahc72

Bikes: 2015 Kona Rove AL, 2016 Giant Escape 2, 1995 Giant attraction SS,

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I bought a good rain suit by a brand called "Frogg toggs" and it's very breathable and keeps me dry. However, you only need about 15-minutes to change usually. So waking up 15-minutes earlier shouldn't be that bad
Old 09-08-13, 01:52 AM
Grishnak

Bikes: Ridgeback Steel Tourer,Recumbent SWB,Steel Road,,Raleigh Twenty,Elephant Bike,Pashley Pronto TNT.

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
rain cape should have loops for your thumbs,some have a waist tie as well.Its windy here a lot of the time.Its not at all as bad as i thought it would be.I wear a uniform for work, cape over the top,spats over the feet,waxed cotton baseball cap.Done.
Old 09-08-13, 01:56 AM
p1eman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As said already, waterproofs don't really stop you getting wet as you sweat inside them, unless you ride slow and your journeys takes less than 15 minutes you're barking up the wrong tree. I need about 10 minutes each end to change. When I start at 5 I get up at 0315 and have breakfast and get changed and go, my 15 mile journey is just under an hour so I have 45 mins to eat and get changed at each end and in case of mechanical problems, after a couple of days I'm up before the alarm. My uniform is either in my kriega rucksack or in my locker at work. My rain gear currently consists of a madison jacket £60 and even with vents and front zip and cuffs open it still sweats, altura shoe covers, and waterproof gloves. The rest of the stuff I wear ends up soaking when I arrive at work whether its raining or not so why bother covering it? I have some cheap overtrousers that came as part of my uniform issue for when it gets colder but its more about insulation than keeping the rain off!! Get your routine right and you'll be fine. Maybe try going to bed earlier? All the cycling should tire you out enough to sleep properly
Old 09-08-13, 02:50 AM
Isaiahc72

Bikes: 2015 Kona Rove AL, 2016 Giant Escape 2, 1995 Giant attraction SS,

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I still recommend the frogg toggs. It's an interesting very breathable design. It does tear a bit easily if your not careful about how far you stretch
Old 09-08-13, 06:01 AM
CaptCarrot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Cape is no wider than you are.. the Grunden's Portugal made one that I Found on Riv Bike's site is my heavy storm gear .

it doesn't breathe. but under there it's open, so ventilation is good.
It might only be as wide as me, but from what I have seen, it creates a "webbed-feet" effect between your body and arms, which could act like a sail.

Brilliant when the wind is behind you, sapping in front and dangerous from the side.

But the ventilation and ease of covering work clothes is what is making me consider them.

Originally Posted by Grishnak
rain cape should have loops for your thumbs,some have a waist tie as well.Its windy here a lot of the time.Its not at all as bad as i thought it would be.I wear a uniform for work, cape over the top,spats over the feet,waxed cotton baseball cap.Done.
Would you mind telling me which cape you use?

I have been looking at the Water Off a Duck's Back Cycle Cape or the much cheaper Cyclepro Cycle Cape Of the two the Duck's back looks less - erm - dorkish?
Old 09-08-13, 06:42 AM
Grishnak

Bikes: Ridgeback Steel Tourer,Recumbent SWB,Steel Road,,Raleigh Twenty,Elephant Bike,Pashley Pronto TNT.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I have 2 carradice capes,1 yellow hi-viz,1 waxed cotton DUXBACK,with reflective,and one of these.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Cyclin...item1c3284e107
Old 09-08-13, 08:08 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Found side winds your legs are getting wet, a bit, so light rainpants are a benefit , likewise strong headwinds ..

but that is nothing too dreadful .. out in a Hurricane is different, of course..
Old 09-08-13, 02:17 PM
CaptCarrot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have 2 carradice capes,1 yellow hi-viz,1 waxed cotton DUXBACK,with reflective,and one of these.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Cyclin...item1c3284e107
Which do you prefer? Do any work better than the others?

I have been doing some more research, and the Water Off A Ducks Back Cycle Cape I like the look of may be a bit small around the neck according to one review on Evans Cycles. Which is a pity, as I am not overly keen on the eye-scorching yellow or the forest green.

Of the two I think I prefer the Duxback though. I am less sure about ebay items, but they might be as good.

Found side winds your legs are getting wet, a bit, so light rainpants are a benefit , likewise strong headwinds ..

but that is nothing too dreadful .. out in a Hurricane is different, of course..
That's what the spats are for (which I have only just found out about - thanks Grishnak).

The benefit of both the Caradice items is that they have matching, over-the-knee, spats. Other than that, the only other decent looking spats are from Eager (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eager-Spat...-/110639685217). There are available through SJS, but they claim only up to size 7 and that they have been discontinued.

Other than that I am edging towards the Duxback, trouble is I have no shops locally that sell anything like this which makes my indecision worse.
Old 09-08-13, 03:09 PM
Stryver

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm of the camp that no raingear is really breathable, certainly not in the context of an aerobic activity like cycling. The capes are interesting possibilities. I've used a poncho walking/hiking, but never tried one on a bike. More venting than a jacket, but a bit more awkward. If you look at cycling jackets, look for armpit vents, chest/pocket vents and a vented (or mesh) back.

I'd suggest a partial change in really wet stuff. Wear your shirt, but bring the pants and workshoes in a bag and wear shorts. You can wear a jacket (or cape) and not have to worry about the waterproof bottoms, and changing is a 5-minute task of pulling on pants and shoes.

Or, ride slowly in full rainsuit and enjoy the rain.
Old 09-08-13, 03:32 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Ponchos can lay flat, being rectangular .. .. Bike capes are like cones in shape ..
Old 09-08-13, 04:20 PM
CaptCarrot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ponchos can lay flat, being rectangular .. .. Bike capes are like cones in shape ..
They can still lay flat though - they just won't lay square.
Old 09-08-13, 04:24 PM
CaptCarrot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stryver
I'm of the camp that no raingear is really breathable, certainly not in the context of an aerobic activity like cycling. ...
I'm with you on that, that's why cape's interest me so much, due to the fact the amount of air underneath and that it is not trapped against your body.

The way I am/sweat, a rain suit would be no good. A cape will be pushing it as it is, but I am beginning to think that it is my best bet.
Old 09-08-13, 04:33 PM
floatsinwater

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've tried various rain jackets and they are all crap. I am also a heavy sweater and I find that the absolute best thing to wear during rain has been just a thermal long-sleeve bike jersey. The sweat wicks away and you don't really feel the rain.

I'm actually curious to see if you guys have recommendations for rain booties. All the ones I've tried basically do nothing. I always end up with drenched socks no matter what.
Old 09-08-13, 05:03 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
I use a J&G rain cape, and it keeps me pretty dry with far less sweating than a rain jacket and pants. You do get buffeted by the wind, however. How far, and how exposed to wind, is your commute?

It is pretty good but not perfect. The fairly long elastic thumb loops mean there is too much flapping of the leading hem, and it doesn't keep my gloves dry. Other wise it is very good and long enough over the butt

Remember to tie the waste ties. One time I didn't and it blew upwards all around my head like an inverted cone. Scary.
Old 09-08-13, 05:20 PM
fietsbob
Banned

semantics experts cycle cape Wouldn't double as a 'Shelter Half'. [Korean war surplus gear]
Old 09-08-13, 06:38 PM
CaptCarrot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
semantics experts cycle cape Wouldn't double as a 'Shelter Half'. [Korean war surplus gear]
Fair enough - but then I am only cycling to work, not the Eastern Front or Afghanistan
Old 09-08-13, 11:55 PM
Grishnak

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Hello again,
I like the duxback in winter,its a better heavier cape.The lightweight ones are still good,even easier to pack.The ebay one has no waist strap,this has never been a problem,quicker to put on .Plus putting your cape on usually stops the rain in a few minutes..
Old 09-09-13, 02:21 AM
CaptCarrot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
... Plus putting your cape on usually stops the rain in a few minutes..
Very much like applying the hand brake causes a red light to change to green.

Cheers for the update.
Old 09-09-13, 04:05 AM
p1eman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have altura luminite shoe covers. They go nicely even over my mtb shoes and have been through a couple of heavy showers already (1 hour commute) without letting anything in, although again there is a slight issue with sweat. This will be less of an issue now the temperature is rapidly decreasing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.