Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How Many Tail Lights

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

How Many Tail Lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-13, 10:28 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
In the digital world the Cal Vehicle Code is online , if you really need to know.

https://www.google.com/search?q=california+vehicle+code&oq=california+vehicle+code&aqs=chrome.0.57&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

of course CHP interpretation is on the spot and variable. melanin level , etc.
Old 09-12-13, 10:35 AM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3376 Post(s)
Liked 5,519 Times in 2,861 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
He did a demo in one of his videos of a very strong magnet in a piece of straight box rim material. It provided enough magnetic resistance to prevent the magnet from just dropping off. Instead it slowly rolled down. He somehow harnesses this.
If you search for "eddy currents" on Youtube, you will find lots of videos of the effects of moving neodymium magnets close to conductive materials, eg aluminum, copper, etc. I have reproduced this at home with the neodymium magnets I use for cadence sensors, and pieces of aluminum stock from the hardware store.

I am *really* curious on how the Magnic lights harness this effect. It seems like this could make all other generation methods obsolete, *depending* on how much power can be extracted.
Old 09-12-13, 10:45 AM
Null66

Bikes: Built up DT, 2007 Fuji tourer (donor bike, RIP), 1995 1220 Trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
New lighting systems are ordered and in transit.

I'm running:

Active:
rear
1 cateye tl-ld110 screwed to rear rack. I bought a spare in case I ruin this one as I love the 2 row lighting I set 1 to solid, 1 flashing row. It has nice wide angle too...
1 PBSF turbo on the left chain stay on their flash mode.
1 self leveling blinkie. It's older tech, not that bright, nice wide angle, great runtime. It sold me on helmet mounted lights as cars see it as the come over hills much farther then rack mounted lights.

up front
2 cateye el-510 and 530...

Passive
rear
3 strips red 3-m reflector tap on rack stays about 6 inches but narrow
totally covered the crank arms with red 3m tape.

front
2 white 3m reflector strips on forks about 8 inches long
1 wide about 2 inch long white strip on sti mounted mirror

Due in soon
replacing headlights and helmet mount blinkie.

Light and motion 360+ for front and back. Due to run time limitations I'm going to use their pulse mode. So see me, and backup if primary fails.
Cheap dual light 2000 lm magicshine clone as primary head light (hi-med-low-strobe) plan to use med and strobe. I might need spare charger at the office.

Also replace helmet with high viz Specialized helmet asap. I will reflector-ize the heck out it too...

Any input appreciated.
Old 09-12-13, 04:33 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked 1,288 Times in 610 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
Eddy currents, per their web page.
I know eddy currents only require *conductive* material, but I'm not sure how these work.
Website: https://www.magniclight.com/magniclig...mepage-english
Huh. Who'd of thunk it?
Old 09-12-13, 05:49 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptCarrot
I think Reelight are doing something similar - maybe they purchased some rights to the tech.
No, they are not the same. Reelights require magnets mounted to the spokes. Magnic lights require no hardware other than the light unit itself.
Old 09-12-13, 05:56 PM
zacster

If you search for "eddy currents" on Youtube, you will find lots of videos of the effects of moving neodymium magnets close to conductive materials, eg aluminum, copper, etc. I have reproduced this at home with the neodymium magnets I use for cadence sensors, and pieces of aluminum stock from the hardware store.

I am *really* curious on how the Magnic lights harness this effect. It seems like this could make all other generation methods obsolete, *depending* on how much power can be extracted.
I think this is what he patented. He actually made it work. My light is plenty bright, but I don't know how much power the generator really produces.

Here's a funny thing. I built a stir plate for my beer making activities from neodymium magnets, and it is sitting right in front of me. It is a pair of magnets super-glued to a computer fan. An Ehrlenmeyer flask sits on top with an iron stir bar in the flask that turns with the fan. It keeps the beer yeast in suspension for growth and reproduction. I have some extra magnets so I'm going to give a try with my aluminum rim to see if I can feel any effects.
Old 09-13-13, 05:03 AM
CaptCarrot

Bikes: Heavily modded Cannondale Hooligan 1 (2009) and an upgraded Raleigh Max Zero-G

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think Reelight are doing something similar - maybe they purchased some rights to the tech.
Originally Posted by zacster
No, they are not the same. Reelights require magnets mounted to the spokes. Magnic lights require no hardware other than the light unit itself.
Maybe I should have used the future tense "going to do". I know what traditional Reelights are, I have 2 pairs of SL120's on my Hooligan.

What I was referring to (and I am not surprised it has gone unnoticed as it is well hidden) is that Reelight were "supposed" to be demonstrating a what can only be described as a "magniclight of their own" at Eurobike 2013, the "Reelight CITY".

This is a Google cache of their page about it, as the original page is now offline.

Google Cache of "www.reelight.com/visit-reelight-at-eurobike-booth-no-a5-408" - originally posted 15/07/2013

this is what they said
Originally Posted by Reelight - Visit Reelight at Eurobike – booth no. A5-408
Our brand new power concept: ReelightCITY

The Reelight CITY is a battery-free bike light that’s sensible on price – but big on convenience, safety and reliability.

This breakthrough design never needs batteries – it’s powered by the wheel rim passing the light and making the integrated no-contact micro-dynamo inside generate a current. This makes Reelight CITY the ideal bother-free way to make sure you get seen – with no worries and no fines.

The movement of the wheel rim induces a current that continuously lights a high-intensity LED, making sure you and your bike are clearly visible.

Reelight CITY are light, smart and easy to click on and off, and slip in your pocket or your bag.
Here is another page that has the same info (but not cached - yet)

Visit Reelight at Eurobike : Cycling Embassy of Denmark

Last edited by CaptCarrot; 09-13-13 at 05:08 AM.
Old 09-13-13, 09:33 AM
Double0757

Bikes: 1984 Cannodale full touring bike, Giant full carbon dura ace, Belinsky frame Tandem

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Eddy currents, per their web page.
I know eddy currents only require *conductive* material, but I'm not sure how these work.
Website: https://www.magniclight.com/magniclig...mepage-english
Fascinating technology!

Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
Doesn't matter what the law says, I'd be willing to bet that if you run a flashing blue light on a bike you WILL get harassed by LEO's.
That's a good point. I have been stopped by a Florida cop for taking the lane on a narrow 2 lane road, going at 20 miles/hr on a 35 limit. I had the law on my side, but he suggested I take the right side of the lane (thought squeeze between cars and me) or side walk. To make long story short, they do what they want when cops them self don't know the law as well as they should.

Maybe I should have used the future tense "going to do". I know what traditional Reelights are, I have 2 pairs of SL120's on my Hooligan.

What I was referring to (and I am not surprised it has gone unnoticed as it is well hidden) is that Reelight were "supposed" to be demonstrating a what can only be described as a "magniclight of their own" at Eurobike 2013, the "Reelight CITY".

This is a Google cache of their page about it, as the original page is now offline.

Google Cache of "www.reelight.com/visit-reelight-at-eurobike-booth-no-a5-408" - originally posted 15/07/2013

Again, fascinating technology and competition to boot! Maybe those magnets are so powerful that they faintly and briefly, magnetize the aluminum rim and create the electricity that way? Just thinking!

Double O
Old 09-13-13, 01:45 PM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
question

do you have closer up view of what the light looks like on the bike and how you rigged it up?

Originally Posted by Dwayne
I run two on the commuter, one flashing DangerZone on the back of my helmet, and one battery-powered trailer light I wired up myself, very noticeable and bright, and very easy to see from a distance. On the road bike I run a PDW Red Planet on the seatpost, not as bright as the light on the commuter, but I'm moving quicker on those days, so I don't worry as much about it.

Here's the light on my commuter. I prefer a big, steady light that makes it easy to gauge distance from a car to the bike vs a bunch of small lights that flash.
Old 09-13-13, 05:09 PM
buzzbee

Bikes: 33yr old mtn bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Of course, there is no magic number.
I have 3 on the seat bag (2 face to the sides) and one on the helmet.
The one on the helmet is more visible and animated, since I look around,
I think it gives a better perception of a bike rider and of distance from 1/8 mile behind me, but I could be wrong.
Most of these lights run on AAA Eneloops and are plenty bright for my conditions... 1/2 watt to 2 watt.
Old 09-13-13, 06:48 PM
zacster

As for blue lights, even the NYC MTA had to turn off the blue flashing lights on their Select Bus Service buses. These are pay before you board buses that make limited stops. There were too many complaints that people thought they were emergency vehicles.
Old 09-13-13, 06:50 PM
zacster

this is what they said

Here is another page that has the same info (but not cached - yet)

Hmm, this sounds like a patent infringement, unless they bought the rights to use it.
Old 09-14-13, 06:19 AM
Medic Zero

Bikes: Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
Medic Zero~ nice job with the reflective tape man, right on!
Thanks! I ran out before I got to the fork, now I just picked up a replacement (nicer) frame, so that might wait for that bike instead, although I do have more white than I need... Hopefully that is what it looks like in a cars headlights, that is with my (phone) camera's flash. The reflective tape is wrapped most of the way around the tubes so it'll catch light from any direction...
Old 09-14-13, 06:22 AM
Medic Zero

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by degnaw
I know for one that it's illegal to have a flashing headlight in washington state... but I used one every day for three months and no police officer ever took issue. I'm sure there's some state with a similar (lack of) law for taillights, but an unenforced law is pretty much not a law.

Blue taillights, on the other hand, may attract much more attention from police.
They will! I had a friend who had a blue headlight on his bike. Cop stopped him and took it from him. Told him he was lucky that was all he was doing!

First I've heard that it is illegal to have a flashing headlight here. Seems most cyclists have them and I've yet to hear of anyone having any problems with the police about that. Although, given how little of the law most police actually know, I suspect they are ignorant of it.
Old 09-14-13, 06:24 AM
Medic Zero

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by PlanoFuji
Actually, I disagree. I feel quite comfortable riding on the roads all over Texas with just a basic dyno lighting set-up. Luxos B up front with reflector, and B&M 4D+ on the back (also with a reflector). No need for 1 QUADRILLION Lumens or whatever the Chinese are selling today.

I do use some clip on blinkies (PDW and/or Cygolite Hotshot) if I am riding in heavy fog, just because it seems like a good idea.

My post was for those who are paranoid about 'being seen'. The same folks with multiple tail lights and a Tim Allen 'more power' fetish. For those they should seriously consider blue flashing lights (if legal in their state) since nothing gets a motorists attention like blue flashing lights. If I can ever find a commercial blinky that is either blue or easily modified, I may get it, just for those occasional heavy fog mornings.
This is bad advice!

There's a reason blue lights aren't readily available to the public. There probably isn't a state in the union where they are legal.
Old 09-14-13, 10:12 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7350 Post(s)
Liked 2,475 Times in 1,438 Posts
Hello everyone,

Please read this and tell me if you disagree.

There are big differences among various regions of this country and the planet when it comes to regard for the law and how it is enforced. 1. In some places, enforcement may be light but people move about lawfully and orderly anyway. 2. In some places, things are orderly and there is heavy enforcement, too. 3. In some places, people don't give a hoot what the law is and they just do what they want, and they get away with it because enforcement is lax. 4. The fourth type of place is the type where things are disorderly and law enforcement is there with heavy artillery but this doesn't make the place orderly anyway.

You have to take these four different styles into account when talking about how to ride through traffic or how to equip your vehicle. People are shocked at joeybike's riding style, but if they lived where he lives or in NYC, you'd see it in its proper context. I'm not saying it's right or wrong. I'm saying they would feel differently.

Flashing lights didn't seem like a good idea to me, but now that I've seen a lot of them, I see they have their place. If they're illegal, they should be made legal, because I don't think they're overly distracting, nor do they cause confusion that makes it hard to distinguish a cyclist from a law enforcement officer. If they are illegal where you are and you would be cited using a blinky, then by all means, don't use it.

If you don't want to do it AND you think they're a good thing AND you know that users don't get cited for using them AND you wouldn't merely because it's against the law, then you are a stupidhead. (Wow, my browser doesn't flag that word as misspelled.)

If you think they are a bad thing, don't use them.

If you think they are a good thing, use them unless you don't want to be cited AND you think it's likely that you will.

Isn't that all there is to the issue? Or have I left something out?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-14-13, 02:13 PM
CaptCarrot

Bikes: Heavily modded Cannondale Hooligan 1 (2009) and an upgraded Raleigh Max Zero-G

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Regarding the legality of flashing lights and blue lights.

In the UK, blue lights are reserved for emergency vehicles only, but in the last few years the law has changed to allow for flashing lights on a bike.

However, before the law was changed, it was unlikely that the police would detain you for having a flashing white light on the front or flashing red light on the rear. They just wanted you to have lights.

Now even if red/white flashing lights are just as illegal blue lights wherever you are, I can guarantee you that you will get less bother from the police if you avoid the blue lights.
Old 09-16-13, 08:39 AM
Double0757

Bikes: 1984 Cannodale full touring bike, Giant full carbon dura ace, Belinsky frame Tandem

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by noglider
Hello everyone,

Please read this and tell me if you disagree.

There are big differences among various regions of this country and the planet when it comes to regard for the law and how it is enforced. 1. In some places, enforcement may be light but people move about lawfully and orderly anyway. 2. In some places, things are orderly and there is heavy enforcement, too. 3. In some places, people don't give a hoot what the law is and they just do what they want, and they get away with it because enforcement is lax. 4. The fourth type of place is the type where things are disorderly and law enforcement is there with heavy artillery but this doesn't make the place orderly anyway.

You have to take these four different styles into account when talking about how to ride through traffic or how to equip your vehicle. People are shocked at joeybike's riding style, but if they lived where he lives or in NYC, you'd see it in its proper context. I'm not saying it's right or wrong. I'm saying they would feel differently.

Flashing lights didn't seem like a good idea to me, but now that I've seen a lot of them, I see they have their place. If they're illegal, they should be made legal, because I don't think they're overly distracting, nor do they cause confusion that makes it hard to distinguish a cyclist from a law enforcement officer. If they are illegal where you are and you would be cited using a blinky, then by all means, don't use it.

If you don't want to do it AND you think they're a good thing AND you know that users don't get cited for using them AND you wouldn't merely because it's against the law, then you are a stupidhead. (Wow, my browser doesn't flag that word as misspelled.)

If you think they are a bad thing, don't use them.

If you think they are a good thing, use them unless you don't want to be cited AND you think it's likely that you will.

Isn't that all there is to the issue? Or have I left something out?
Yes, no. You hit the nail on the head! Thank you! Double O
Old 09-16-13, 10:28 AM
Dwayne
Rocketship Underpants

Bikes: '94 RS Bikes Stampede (commuter), Scattante XRL Team road bike (formerly '05 Cannondale R5000), '05 Cannondale Prophet 1000

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RidingMatthew
do you have closer up view of what the light looks like on the bike and how you rigged it up?
Oh, it certainly won't win any beauty competitions, that's for sure I wired in a high-low switch, too, low is regular running lights on the light, high is activating the brake light circuit. I run low at night, plenty bright, and high during the day. On high it uses 0.25A if I remember right, so with my 14.4V 4000mAH battery I have a theoretical run time of 12-14 hours on high, and something ridiculous on low. I usually throw it on the charger every weekend out of habit.

Old 09-16-13, 11:12 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7350 Post(s)
Liked 2,475 Times in 1,438 Posts
Well done, Dwayne!

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-16-13, 11:41 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I'm interested in the brake light function. How does that work? Some sort of microswitch mounted somewhere near one (or both) brake levers?
Old 09-16-13, 12:03 PM
Dwayne
Rocketship Underpants

Bikes: '94 RS Bikes Stampede (commuter), Scattante XRL Team road bike (formerly '05 Cannondale R5000), '05 Cannondale Prophet 1000

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
I'm interested in the brake light function. How does that work? Some sort of microswitch mounted somewhere near one (or both) brake levers?
Sorry, I think my explanation was vague. I can choose between high and low when I turn it on, it's not connected to the brake levers. I've thought about doing that, but I prefer being able to just leave it on high during the day.
Old 09-16-13, 02:32 PM
simpleton.

Bikes: 2012 Rivendell Atlantis, 2012 Soma Double Cross DC,1984 Fisher Mt. Tam, 1992 Trek 970, 1993 Bridgestone MB-2, 1985 Trek 870

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think i mainly depends on where you ride. If you ride in the city with a lot of flashing lights more is probably better. I mostly ride at night on pitch black country roads so I use a Super Flash Turbo and a Knog strapped to the back of my helmet and I have yet to have a problem. Knock on wood.
Old 09-17-13, 12:28 PM
enigmaT120

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
We need a chart that plots number of tail lights on one axis, and risk of being hit on the other axis, derived from real world observations. At some point the drop in risk as light numbers increase would taper off, and that would tell us how many to use. I really doubt I can find that data. As a driver I can say that even one red blinky on the rear, if it's a half way bright one like a planet bike superflash or one of the good Portland Design Works lights like I have, is visible for a very long distance in the day time, even when I'm heading into the morning sun.

We need to be careful though that we use one less than what would prompt people to call us paranoid.

Last edited by enigmaT120; 09-18-13 at 02:38 PM.
Old 09-17-13, 01:20 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I posted earlier that I have four lights in the rear, but after some observation and thought, I don't think that many is really necessary.

I say two decent lights is all you really need. I say two because of the "redundancy by design" concept. You could have one uber light, but if it fails, then what?

I'm going to move the 4D Toplight from the seat post back to the rack (where it was designed to be) and the NR Cherrybomb will either be on the seat post (currently just under the wedge pack) or the helmet, depending on what and where cargo is on the rack.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.