Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

If you could do your first tour again, you would change...

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

If you could do your first tour again, you would change...

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-06, 10:22 AM
David in PA

Bikes: Cannondale C400

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DavidARayJaxNC
I need to know, while I am preparing for my first long tour. What would you change if you could go back. I know there is a thread already on it, but lets start over.
This may sound like a weird response to your question, but I would have set a "method" for how I would handle dog "attacks" and stick to that method.

As I described in other posts, on my first long tour I tried to out pedal a dog, lost control of my bike, and fell hard to my left, smashing my upper thigh into the pavement. Eventually, a "doctor" looked at. His so-called treatment was to drain the injury, which caused rampant internal bleeding, which caused me to spend the night in the hospital.

My method now on handling dog "attacks" is to stop, put the bike between the dog and I, and walk until things cool down. If they don't, I might use dog spray, which I only did once in almost 4,000 miles.

David in FL
Old 12-02-06, 05:48 PM
jharte
Long Live Long Rides

Bikes: 1988 Specialized Rockhopper Comp, converted for touring/commuting. 1984 Raleigh Team USA road bike.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There are two things that I have changed over the last several years. One is adding a little extra time. When I was younger (a long time ago!) I could easily log 100+ miles, fully loaded per day. I could also eat lots of pizza, drink lots of beer, and get very little sleep! Wake up the next day and do it again!!

The last couple of tours were around 400mi ea. I rode a less miles each day and enjoyed where I was (instead of the challenge of riding 100+ mile days). I also watched what I ate. I find I need more protien and less junk food now. My legs didn't really feel very good on my last ride across Missouri. I felt very fatigued all day. I talked to a nutritionalist and they mentioned adding more protien along with lots of carbs. They even mentioned less beer. NOT FAIR! I'm sure all of these changes are due to age. Oh, well.
Old 12-02-06, 06:19 PM
Bizurke
Lost in Los Angeles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
- I would have eaten a lot more, I realized afterwards that I was consuming less than half of the calories that I was burning. This ended up in me running out of all energy and laying on the side of the road under a shade tree for hours with 20 miles left in the day.

- Water Proofing! I can't put enough emphasis on this. There's nothing quite as bad as having every single item you have, and your self, soaked, cold, and feeling like crap.

- Enjoy the time. A tour is not a race and if you try to make sure you make a certain distance in a certain time you will spend more time focusing on your speed then you will enjoying the ride. Take your time and enjoy the ride. Don't be scared to stop, if you feel like taking a break, or just spending some time in the area you're at then do it, but when you get back on the road don't try to make up for lost time or you'll end up not enjoying the rest of the day.

- Sleep! I spent the more than one day staying up late and partying and I payed for it in the morning. The day that I decided to go to sleep early and get as much rest as possible ended in me having the best ride of the week after I woke up.
Old 12-02-06, 06:43 PM
chephy
Two H's!!! TWO!!!!!

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
I wouldn't've "tuned up" my bike at a crappy LBS the day before the tour. I would've given myself more time to get places I was going (I was riding around the province going to various musical/theatre festivals, and was almost late for a couple of concerts). Would've packed MUCH less casual non-biking clothing. And would've taken some warmer socks and pants, given how early in the year my tour took place (I did seriously freeze my butt off one of those days on the road...) And yeah - would've been a lot more careful about making sure I don't run out of food and water in the middle of nowhere. That happened to me on that first tour, and it was seriously NOT fun!
Old 12-02-06, 10:41 PM
Critterpace
Have bike will travel.

Bikes: Cannondale road and mtn.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jharte
They even mentioned less beer.
Who are they? I need to avoid them and their "bad" advice. I love my Boulevard.
Old 12-03-06, 01:10 AM
Alekhine
1. e4 Nf6

Bikes: Mercian KoM with Rohloff, Bike Friday NWT, Pogliaghi Italcorse (1979)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yaya

Last edited by Alekhine; 12-07-06 at 09:32 AM.
Old 12-03-06, 04:58 AM
dreamy

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
My first tour was crossing the USA in 50 days.

In retrospect it was a once in a lifetime experince, so I would have slowed down, spent more time relaxing and visiting places of interest on the way, had more days off, taken more photos and not been so preoccupied with getting to the finish.
Old 12-03-06, 12:15 PM
Prodigy4299

Bikes: 1990 Trek 850, 2005 Cannondale R1000, 2019 Cannondale Topstone 105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 21 Posts
I would have tried harder to get some cycling bussy to come with me. I really hate touring alone - there's no one there to keep your mind occupied mile after mile.
Old 12-03-06, 12:25 PM
qqy
▒▒▒▒▒▒

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wish I had more appropriate gearing for my tour. I went with a 50/34 and 11-32 - big mistake. I really wanted an intermediate chainring on those long, moderately sloped hills that were so common in central Europe. 48/38/28 would have been perfect. A GPS system would have been very helpful too, but I got quite good at reading maps really fast.
Old 12-03-06, 02:24 PM
lighthorse@eart
Florida to Oregon in 2007

Bikes: LeMond Buenos Aires, Trek 7500, Scattante CFR, Burley Hudson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Less stuff. My guess is if it is your first tour you are taking at least 25% too much stuff. I sure did.
Old 12-04-06, 11:38 AM
DavidARayJaxNC
DavidARay@gmail.com

Bikes: Trek 920 Fashioned into a Road Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
does anyone think the biopace would be good for touring?
Old 12-04-06, 11:53 AM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DavidARayJaxNC
does anyone think the biopace would be good for touring?
Dude, that is so 1989. Forget it. There's a reason no one makes it any more.
Old 12-04-06, 12:24 PM
niknak

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 35 Posts
Don't make any changes to your bike right before a trip. I was dumb enough to change pedal systems (from clipless to toe clips) right before a recent tour without taking a test ride. The achilles tendon in my right foot got really sore because the toe clips wouldn't let my foot slide far enough forward. Stupid and painful. Make sure your bike fits you well!
Old 12-04-06, 02:20 PM
FlowerBlossom
My tank takes chocolate.

Bikes: Trek 600 series touring bike, Trek 800 hybrid, Bianchi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nebben123
How many miles does it take to get saddle sores? Heh.
One.
Old 12-04-06, 02:57 PM
goldener
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
**** all the planning. Just grab your bike, some food, a little cash, and ride. Don't worry too much about the details..
Old 12-04-06, 08:24 PM
jharte
Long Live Long Rides

Bikes: 1988 Specialized Rockhopper Comp, converted for touring/commuting. 1984 Raleigh Team USA road bike.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bwhahahahaha! Those last few comments ROCK!
I love Biopace. I know they quit making it. I can't tell you how many articles I read (pros and cons) on the subject. However, I did yank them off my touring bike! (1988 Rockhopper Comp) I like them because I like old bike stuff. Kind of trendy....

How many miles does it take to get saddle sores? ONE is right!

Two really important things to keep in mind before a tour (there are really lots more than two!) 1) ride your bike a lot. This will get your sit bones ready, 2) Don't ever take an unproven weapon into battle. In other words....try not to make any major changes to your bike before a long ride.
Old 12-04-06, 08:34 PM
nebben123

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FlowerBlossom
One.
Sounds like that "... nails to finish a house?" riddle
Old 12-05-06, 11:02 AM
hairlessbill
Daily Rider

Bikes: 89 Bridgestone MB-3, 93 Bridgestone RB-1,93 Bridgestone MB-1, 95 Klein Fervor, 02 BikeE AT, 06 Surly Cross-check, 8? Schwinn Frontier

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Time: I would have taken more time to take more detours and layovers. We had a deadline and that put a lot of pressure to make our target miles each day.

Maps: I had good maps but they were only for one route (Adventure Cycling maps). Wish I had had some other detailed (bicycle scale) maps of the areas we were in.

Pictures: Take lots of them. It rained for half our tour so we didn't take so many but now I wish I had pix of those rain-soaked days. So get a weatherproof camera or learn to take pictures through a ziplock.

Friends: Talk to more people. People wanted to talk to us and you are so approachable on a bicycle. It is a great time to make more friends. The farther from home we got the more excited people were to talk to us. Stopping at bike shops always got us recommendations on food and lots of conversation.
1993BstoneRB1
2007IROSSBFGS
1986PanasonicDX4000
2014E-JOE
Old 12-06-06, 12:18 PM
jcwitte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would have taken my lighter tent and maybe left my stove at home. I only used my stove for coffee, and you can get that anywhere.
Old 12-06-06, 12:37 PM
flipped4bikes
ROM 6:23

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Lemond Tourmalet, Bridgestone MB-5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. Cut back on the daily mileage.
1A. Stop more often.
2. Carry less stuff.
Old 12-06-06, 01:13 PM
mooncricket

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would have reduced my load by 50%.

I would have sworn to myself not to linger anywhere longer than a week.

I would have sold ALL of my belongings before I went, instead of only half of what I owned.