Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Some cyclists are just REALLY stupid.

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Some cyclists are just REALLY stupid.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-06, 07:30 PM
BigMacFU
Tornado of Teeth

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bike ninjas, wrong way bikers, welcome to NYC, it's everyday for us.
Old 12-12-06, 08:01 PM
BigDaddyPete

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross 2008 Schwinn Super Sport 1972 SS. Surly Pacer Rando bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
[QUOTE=chelboed]BigDaddyPete - "Where I am, there are 2 distinct groups of people that commute by bike, people like me, who wear bright clothes, have lights and pay attention to traffic laws, and then there are people from one of our many southern neighbors who have no clue. They are often seen riding Magnas...Some one needs to reach out to our immigrant community and educate them. When I have tried, I get creatively cursed out in Spanish."
Do you pledge your allegience to Hitler or are you just a mild racist?

Actually, living in California and working in the restaurant industry, I find that I manage many of the aforementioned people. I try to educate them one at a time. Definately not a racist, trying to help them. Many of them really aren't aware they are breaking the law and endangering themselves and others.
Old 12-12-06, 09:50 PM
Bikepacker67
Banned

Bikes: LHT, Kona Smoke

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by chelboed
Whoa! That thing is uglier than hat full of monkey butts.

Looks insectoid.
Old 12-12-06, 09:56 PM
Bikepacker67
Banned

Bikes: LHT, Kona Smoke

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
This is kind of an interesting thread to say the least...

Grasschopper - "Is he trying to get killed?.....As much as I hate and don't suggest riding on the sidewalk"
All of the cops I have talked to say that they'd rather see a bike on the sidewalk than on the street causing traffic congestion. What say you?

waterboy - "One accident is all it takes to change, or end your life."
If the idiot chooses to die in that manner...why should I care?

geog_dash - It annoys me because debates about making the town "bicycle friendly" inevitably take on a tone of "why should we help these idiots?"
How do you make a town bicycle friendly? What type of changes must be made? Is it a bike lane thing, build freeride parks, build trails in the public parks? What exactly is necessary for a "bicycle friendly" town?

Choccy - "stats for the UK last year there were 226 cyclists killed and 92% of those did not have lights or reflectives"
Was that stat obtained with only roadie data or did it include all facets of cycling?

BigDaddyPete - "Where I am, there are 2 distinct groups of people that commute by bike, people like me, who wear bright clothes, have lights and pay attention to traffic laws, and then there are people from one of our many southern neighbors who have no clue. They are often seen riding Magnas...Some one needs to reach out to our immigrant community and educate them. When I have tried, I get creatively cursed out in Spanish."
Do you pledge your allegience to Hitler or are you just a mild racist?

DataJunkie - "I could care less if they get themselves killed. It annoys me that they almost run into me or I into them."
Amen Brotha...if they wanna off themselves then you guys don't have to spend all this valuable time worrying about them like you seem to be doing. Just let them die and you can own the road!!! Wooohaaa!

jeff-o - "All of the obviously hardcore cyclist commuters have lights (including myself)."
I think this is my favorite one. Jeff-O is hardcore! He can clean any climb, huck any cliff, win any TDF, and commute through any hurricane, and still find time to tell all of the other bicycle enthusiasts out there that they are not hardcore unless they have a light. (sounds like a WalMart commercial preying on kids)

Well, my questions are valid so please answer them. If I didn't ask you a question but still commented about your post, it's because I just couldn't believe my eyes. It does prove though that some people do live in their own little world. I thought my ego was big...I really did.
What a contrarian you are.
Yo momma raised no fool!
Old 12-12-06, 10:24 PM
bmclaughlin807
Crankenstein

Bikes: Novara Randonee (TankerBelle)

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jeff-o
I define hardcore as, "Panniers, helmet, waterproof jacket, lights, and ankle straps." Basically, anyone who chooses to ride not out of necessity or income, but because they WANT to ride.

And yes, I could kick Lance's butt any day of the week.
Ah... so... even though I have 4000 miles on my bike since June 1st (90% of them commuting) I'm not a hardcore commuter? When it was 2 degrees F out, and 12 inches of snow on the roads, I was the ONLY one in my office on time, after a 14 mile bike ride.

I use grocery panniers to haul stuff, never wear a helmet, no ankle straps. I do have decent lights (nothing fancy), though, so I guess that helps a little.

I came up to a train crossing this evening, there was one commuter waiting... nice hybrid bike, panniers, fenders. No lights at all.

Even worse were the two cyclists who came along after I did... one on a fixie, crossed to the left side of the street, went around the gate, and proceeded to screw around in the space between the gate and the moving freight train. The fixie rider was so busy showing off his ability to ride back and forth and circle backwards that he didn't pay attention to the tracks he was riding on, caught his tire, and nearly fell into the moving train.

As soon as the train was past, they darted behind it, and started riding down the road. I waited for the gate to lift, and passed them a half block down the road. So much for their awesome biking skills.
"There is no greater wonder than the way the face and character of a woman fit so perfectly in a man's mind, and stay there, and he could never tell you why. It just seems it was the thing he most wanted." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old 12-12-06, 10:35 PM
nebben123

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At least your stealth bike ninjas wear helmets.

Here in Athens (GA) I think about 1 in 10 bike riders wear helmets. And out of those 10%, only half of them use blinkys or any reflective material when riding at night. So basically, about 5% of bike commuters here wear helmets and have blinkys. It's crazy. I'm surprised none of them have been hit or killed this year.
Old 12-12-06, 11:13 PM
Munchkin
Jawa

Location: In the rain...with brief scatterings of beautiful blue skies.
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+5 gazillion regarding black clad walkers on the BIKE PATH. Here in Vancouve we have two distinct paths along the sea wall; one for peds, on for bikers/in-line skaters. But I cannot tell you the number of times I've come upon dark-clothes-wearing, not paying any attention to the bright HID light coming towards them, casting their own shadows in front of them walking singles/pairs with no light clothing, reflective elements. The best I can say is they usually don't make any sudden movements. Perhaps it's the bright light making their own shadows before them? I'm sometimes almost scared to use the bell, for fear of them starting and bolting into my path.

As for unlit cyclists...I just wish they would realize I can't see them. For all my wattage, I'm not a car, and they are not ephemeral. I feel more comfortable around cars, really. And that makes me sad.
Old 12-13-06, 03:25 AM
CommuterRun
Conservative Hippie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I saw someone else say it recently on this forum and it's true:
"Bicycling isn't dangerous, but there are dangerous cyclists."
By extension some pedestrians are just as dangerous.
Old 12-13-06, 05:50 AM
ed 

Bikes: Hecklah

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bmclaughlin807
Ah... so... even though I have 4000 miles on my bike since June 1st (90% of them commuting) I'm not a hardcore commuter?
He was kinda just kidding...you're hardcore too.

bmclaughlin807: You leave my momma outta this!!! Yeah, I'm only a fair weather contrarian...I eat meat.
Old 12-13-06, 01:33 PM
jeff-o
Recumbent Evangelist

Bikes: Rebel Cycles Trike, Trek 7500FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
He was kinda just kidding...you're hardcore too.

bmclaughlin807: You leave my momma outta this!!! Yeah, I'm only a fair weather contrarian...I eat meat.
Yeah, b'mc... you're hardcore too. But why no helmet?
Old 12-13-06, 02:32 PM
Topher_Aus

Bikes: GT Avalanche 1.0 non disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting thread.

One thing I will say is that it does show there is some value in bikes having reflectors out of the store. There are a number of bikes I've seen when driving only because of the reflectors. Reflectors are definitely inferior to lights, but better than nothing.
Old 12-13-06, 07:25 PM
SingingSabre 
BF's Level 12 Wizard

Bikes: Diamondback Sorrento turned Xtracycle commuter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jyossarian
Your ninja cyclist reminds me of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal. Here's what the Guide has to say:

"Daft as a hairbrush, the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal is arguably the most insanely idiotically dense creature in existence. It believes that if you can't see it, it can't see you. "
You, sir, just made my night.

I actually said all that in Vogon, but your Babel fish translated it.
Vanity
Originally Posted by Bklyn
Obviously, the guy's like a 12th level white wizard or something. His mere presence is a danger to mortals.
Old 12-14-06, 01:39 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by thdave
I was on the road (a 25 mph side street) and saw her coming out of a school parking lot at pretty high speeds. She wasn't going to stop, but finally did when she saw me.

Moments later she passed and rolled down her window and said, "I can't see you!" I replied I had my lights on, and, of course, I had all my reflectors installed and my tires have a reflective sidewall. She answered that I didn't have lights on the side of my bike.
I call BS on her. She should've seen your reflective sidewalls. She prolly just wasn't paying attention.

My motorcycle helmet is super bright orange. Shoei made the color for off-shore racing. I've had many drivers look me in the eye and pull out on me. They either aren't registering anything smaller than a car,or they just don't care.

No amount of safety gear can cancel the stupidity of some people. But at least when you get to court the judge can ask them why they didn't see your hi-viz,reflective tape,and blinkies.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 12-14-06, 04:10 PM
mastershake916

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I once saw real bike ninja, that's right.
Not in training or a wanna-be, a real one.
He wore the ninja head coving and everything, black bike black clothe black everything.