Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuter Bicycle Pics

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Commuter Bicycle Pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-07, 03:36 PM
ModoVincere
Riding Heaven's Highways on the grand tour

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My "new" old Puch Path Finder. Bought it this past weekend for $16.00 at the thrift store.
I've added a second water bottle cage (holds battery) , lights, and rack on back. Two new tires and its been good so far.
Old 03-15-07, 12:10 AM
donnamb 
tired

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fordfasterr
holy seat angle donna !!

Must be a lot of fun to ride that bike !!!
You're not the first person to be shocked at my seat angle. All I can say is to each (rear end) their own.
Old 03-15-07, 12:31 AM
wethepeople
Long haired freak.

Bikes: 2011 SE Old Man Flyer.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In the BMX world it's called the ***** stance .

It's actually angled for a reason though, keeps the seat out of the way on can cans, easier on the rails when it falls, looks better, actually comfier, and other reasons I cant think of anymore.

"the bus came by and I got on, that's when it all began...there was Cowboy Neal at the wheel of a bus to never-ever land."

Old 03-16-07, 07:13 PM
UnderDaHill

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is my commutor. I just converted it from flat bars to drop bars for the summer. I'll put the flat bars back on next winter.

I also have full fenders, but I took them off when I was cleaning and then converting the bike. They will be back on next week.

A quick parking lot test ride and everything seems to work great. Brakes are VERY responsive and even my cheap OEM brakes, with tirreble return springs, kept the levers poping right back like they should.

I definately like the looks. And hopefully the ride will be just as good.

Aint she pretty!

Don't be looking through my book selection.

I was happy to find this bar tape at the shop. I think it looks great on this bike.

The wiring isn't perfect, but I was happy with it considering it was me first attempt at wiring a bike. Thanks goodness I had a dremel for cutting the housing.

So shiny and clean. It's almost a shame to get it dirty again. But hey... It is a commuter bike. Doing 17 miles each way on in the spring, tends to pick up some grit. I left the fenders off while I was working on the bike. I'll have to put them back on again next week.

The cockpit.

This was also my first attempt with bar tape. I think it turned out ok if not a tad bumpy in spots.

V-Brakes with drop bars. The Dia-Compe 287v brake levers work perfectly. I'll have to get a few long rides in to tell for sure though.
Old 03-16-07, 08:48 PM
Brian Sorrell
My bicycle is fixed

Bikes: '08 Surly Steamroller, '07 Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thought I'd add some new pics of the various alterations I've made to the Fuji Touring. Here it is all tucked away for the night. The fenders are off because it's Southern California and there probably won't be a drop of water on the ground until November. This is my do-all bicycle -- until the wife lets me get another

fuji.3.2007.3.jpg
Old 03-16-07, 08:57 PM
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Joshua88
Just got the fenders today.

Doesn't that front fender get in the way of the down tube?
Old 03-16-07, 09:06 PM
Az B
Fattest Thin Man

Bikes: Miyata 610, Vinco V, Rocky Mountain Element

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Here's my commuter:

I've got a rack and trunk bag for the essentials, as well as headlight and taillight. This pic was taken a couple weeks before I started commuting with it. It's a 1982 Miyata 610, bought new and all stock except for the wheels, seat, pedals, and bar tape.

Az
Old 03-17-07, 11:51 AM
Joshua88
Ridin' Milwaukee

Bikes: 59 cm Soma Rush 08

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's about a cm. of clearance from the down tube. I just have to be careful not to hit my toes on it when I turn. It makes the foot overlap a little worse but not much. I like them so it's all good.
Old 03-17-07, 03:46 PM
dennislim
I'll miss the cold..

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey everybody, its my first post here, and i thought I'd start off with a pic of my trusty steed.

so here's my very loved sirrus elite 06. Been wanting one for awhile, and just got it a coupla weeks ago on closeout. And boy is it fast.. feels so much more nimble than my previous commuter. My two wheels are just about the only transportation i use rain or shine.

Before this, i had a decathlon riverside, swapped out almost everything except the frame.. been good to me, rain, snow, crashes and all. Passed it on to my girlfriend as a spare.
Old 03-18-07, 07:00 PM
Joshua88
Ridin' Milwaukee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^I want to build a commuter just like these.
Old 03-18-07, 07:58 PM
DukeArcher 

Bikes: Thorn Nomad S+S, Trek 520 - 2007 (out on loan), and a crap Repco MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You DON'T want my commuter. Cheap and nasty. Unlike my new 520, which I'm too scared to ride for fear of a scratch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
424700633_6a1af57c6c[1] jpg.JPG (59.1 KB, 274 views)
Old 03-19-07, 05:52 AM
dennislim
I'll miss the cold..

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^I want to build a commuter just like these.
I really wanted to start building one, after my last crash on the decathlon bike, but then
i saw the sirrus on closeout and got lazy...

what kind of frame you looking at?

Last edited by dennislim; 03-19-07 at 11:28 AM.
Old 03-19-07, 08:49 PM
Joshua88
Ridin' Milwaukee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was going to build a fixed gear version of those out of a Giant Bowery frame, because it's a pretty strong frame, but I actually just found the Novara Big Buzz, which I really like. I wouldn't have to build anything then. (Not that I don't want to, but I get lazy like you, and I just got done building a cruizer) I'll have my Diamondback for road racing, and this for commuting and all that jazz. Here's a pic:

Old 03-19-07, 09:20 PM
chephy
Two H's!!! TWO!!!!!

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by wethepeople
It's actually angled for a reason though, keeps the seat out of the way on can cans, easier on the rails when it falls, looks better, actually comfier, and other reasons I cant think of anymore.
I can believe all those other reasons.. but "looks better"?? It looks awful in my 'umble!
Old 03-19-07, 09:26 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by slvoid
Doesn't that front fender get in the way of the down tube?
I have exact same fenders. It doesn't... If you adjust it right. Which is PITA to do.
Here is my bike:
Old 03-20-07, 06:41 AM
dennislim
I'll miss the cold..

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was going to build a fixed gear version of those out of a Giant Bowery frame, because it's a pretty strong frame, but I actually just found the Novara Big Buzz, which I really like. I wouldn't have to build anything then. (Not that I don't want to, but I get lazy like you, and I just got done building a cruizer) I'll have my Diamondback for road racing, and this for commuting and all that jazz. Here's a pic:

The big buzz looks pretty good though i dunno much about novara. I've never had disc brakes though, purely because i didn't think i needed them on the roads, and i was thinking with books, shopping and other stuff loaded on, it would be alotta weight to heft. Good fun building one up though eh..
Old 03-20-07, 11:26 AM
diff_lock2
Senior_Member2

Bikes: Beater + Nishiki Bigfoot X-29

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got a rack for this bike, its a bit thin (not wide), but its ok.
Old 03-20-07, 11:39 AM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dennislim
The big buzz looks pretty good though i dunno much about novara. I've never had disc brakes though, purely because i didn't think i needed them on the roads, and i was thinking with books, shopping and other stuff loaded on, it would be alotta weight to heft. Good fun building one up though eh..
I've got 4 Novaras,they're nice bikes. I only commute on discs;they don't add any noticable weight and have more advantages than rim brakes.

I like my Big Buzz,but it does have one drawback;the alloy fork. I commuted every day on my BB last fall and the fork bothered my carpel tunnel. If your wrists are good,and your roads are smooth then you should be ok. But I'm swapping on a carbon fork for the spring. Otherwise it's a great ride. The road double/MTB rear really gives a nice gear range for commuting.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 03-20-07, 12:36 PM
mozgj
russkie

Bikes: '06 Marin Fairfax, '89 Nopsa Picnic, '84 Nopsa beater

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by diff_lock2
I just got a rack for this bike, its a bit thin (not wide), but its ok.
...but why a seatpost-mounted rack? Your bike seems to have braze-ons for a normal one.
Old 03-20-07, 01:17 PM
diff_lock2
Senior_Member2

Bikes: Beater + Nishiki Bigfoot X-29

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mozgj
...but why a seatpost-mounted rack? Your bike seems to have braze-ons for a normal one.
I dont have the holes on the seat stay (at least i dont think so)

Also this was 1/2 the price, and its only for my bag. I hope i dont have to cary a frame anytime soon!.

Old 03-20-07, 04:35 PM
acidinmylegs
Cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I figure its about time I added mine to the mix. While I do have a rack for the bike, I'm not using it for commuting. I prefer to use my backpacks for that.

I've since added a longer front fender mud flap to help keep the bottom bracket area a little cleaner.

Last edited by acidinmylegs; 03-22-07 at 07:17 AM.
Old 03-21-07, 09:15 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
I posted pics of my Surly Long Haul Trucker a few months back. Time for updated LHT photos, and pics of my beater Schwinn!

Since my last post, I've exchanged the 1.25" slicks for 1.75" Panaracer T-Servs, which are fantastic tires. They suit the bike much better than the old slicks, in both appearance and performance. The extra half-inch of rubber doesn't seem to have slowed to bike down at all, and it's now a lot happier on rough pavement. The rubber compound must be better, too, because I get less wheel slip. I've also layered some blue cloth tape over the black cork. Mmm, looks and feels a lot nicer! And, of course, I installed a Brooks B-17 a couple of days after posting my last photos. This is an amazing saddle! Every bit as nice as everyone says they are, and it only took about 250 miles to break in. Looks real classy, too. That saddle is now mounted on my beater.

After 730 miles (I'm living a low-mileage lifestyle this year!), I'm even more excited about this bike than I was back in September. It is, without any doubt, the finest, most versatile bicycle I have ever had the pleasure of owning. The ride is smooth and steady and the steering on the slower side, but it is at the same time incredibly precise, with handling that inspires confidence and security. And did I mention that the ride is cushy? The frame is packed with features, and the set-up is perfect for me. Well, except for a front derailer intended for half-step gearing that chokes a bit on the 12-tooth jump from middle to big ring, but I spend more than 95% of my time on the 36T middle ring anyway. Yes, I break 20 mph on this ring. Bad knees have caused me to develop a good spin. Anyway, of the remaining 5%, most of that is spent in the granny, not the big ring! So I don't really feel too bad about my imperfect shifting. Anyway, it's the LHT is an astoundingly good bicycle, I'd highly recommend it.

The beater is a 1978 Schwinn LeTour III converted to single speed. The handlebars are Bontrager copies of an old 3-speed all-rounder bar, with longer grip sections to accommodate modern controls. They are very comfy, and pretty cheap - I highly recommend them. The gear (44/17, ~70 inches) is currently a bit high for the kind of riding I do with this bike, so I'll probably swap freewheels at some point. I also need to put the fender brace on the other side of the seatstay bridge to gain a bit more clearance over the rear wheel - it's pretty tight at the moment!

Oh, and I don't think it really counts as a commuter, since it lacks eyelets for racks and fenders, but I sometimes ride my Univega Gran Record 80's road bike when the weather is nice and I'm feeling frisky. It's been getting more work than usual lately, as I'm getting spring fever. Riding my nice weather bike makes me feel a bit more like winter is on the way out.
Attached Images
Surly indoors 001-small.JPG (98.7 KB, 382 views)
Surly indoors 003-small.jpg (67.8 KB, 173 views)
Surly indoors 005-small.JPG (90.6 KB, 186 views)
Schwinn 001-small.JPG (99.6 KB, 205 views)
Schwinn 003-small.JPG (96.0 KB, 110 views)
Unired001-small.JPG (96.0 KB, 216 views)
Old 03-22-07, 09:55 PM
voileauciel
Wildman in the Sky

Bikes: Bianchi Bergamo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UmneyDurak
I have exact same fenders. It doesn't... If you adjust it right. Which is PITA to do.
Here is my bike:
HOLD IT! Waaaaaaaiiiit a minute here...you commute on THAT?

Good beans, I'd be scared poop-less of having it scratched, doored, stolen or otherwise molested...

Do be careful, kind Sir.
Old 03-22-07, 10:25 PM
exfreewheeler
Stinky McStinkface

Bikes: Clemente Custom(not built-up), TI Raleigh Record SS, VitaSprint Mixte SS, IRO S.E.(coming) Ibex Trophy Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is not my bike but I would give up alot for it

Someone posted it on the fixed/SS forum. They took the picture in Tokyo. The head tube is brazed into lugs that go into the top and sloping tubes. sick!
Old 03-24-07, 08:18 AM
crumb

Bikes: Giant Boulder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Saw this on the way home last night (Queen & Yonge in Toronto):

Not sure if anybody commutes with it, but I'd like to see it! More pics:

https://msnomer.com/crumb/arugula/Strange%20bike/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.