Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Putting a suspension fork on cannondale's "street" tandem?

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-07, 07:23 PM
streetlightpoet
Banned.

Bikes: Masi Speciale Fixed, Surly 1x1, 2 70's Bianchi folders, Swingbike, Columbia Cruiser 3 spd, Specialized Big Hit and P.2, Cove G-Spot, Xtracycled Bianchi San Jose.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm looking at putting an '07 cannondale street tandem on layaway tomorrow and starting to think about what upgrades I will be wanting to do down the road a bit. I'd like to know going in some more stuff than is found on the cannondale website, like if their Mountain frame found on the Street tandem if suspension corrected/compatible? It doesn't look like the stock fork is sus. corrected, but will it take a short travel fork ok? Thanks!
Old 12-20-07, 02:08 PM
dubbelop

Bikes: Santos Dual Travel touring tandem, MSC Zion MTB-tandem, Santos SCC03 MTB, Santos STR01 trekking bike, Cannondale F500 MTB, Kalkhoff E-bike, Centurion Cross 4000 cyclocross bike (converted to road bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Street Tandem will certainly take a short travel. For some mysterious reason only us Euro customers (still) get the Mountain Tandem, with a Rock Shox Argyle 409 fork. The weirdest thing is that a Dutch shop has official company pictures of this tandem but it's not on Cannondale's Euro website. Or any other Cannondale website AFAIK ......
Old 12-23-07, 02:12 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Only thing I would suggest is that you look at the fork you are planning to get and find out if super heavyweight springs are available for it- Or if an Air Suspension- Whether it can safely be over pressurised to take the extra weight of a tandem.

I ride an MT with Boxers fitted and these are 150mm travel. We need those for the aggresive offroad but simple XC should be fine with a shorter travel fork fitted. Th frame will take it and so far we have had 100mm- 135 and the boxers fitted- without noticing any effect on the steering. Only thing we did find was that the 100mm were bottoming out on the downhills.- then we went to the 135's but were worried in that they were quick release. Front suspension- offroad- disc brakes point to a Bolt through axle being required for peace of mind if not for safety.

Spike Milligan
Old 12-23-07, 06:08 PM
dudewtfhillary

Bikes: touchy. pout.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry that you're still not allowed to buy a tandem, boyfriend. Busted you on bikeforums, for the win.

PS: I am going to be very upset if it is too big for me.
Old 12-23-07, 06:51 PM
streetlightpoet
Banned.

Bikes: Masi Speciale Fixed, Surly 1x1, 2 70's Bianchi folders, Swingbike, Columbia Cruiser 3 spd, Specialized Big Hit and P.2, Cove G-Spot, Xtracycled Bianchi San Jose.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
uh-oh, unhappy stoker already and I haven't even brought it home yet!
Old 12-23-07, 10:41 PM
dudewtfhillary

Bikes: touchy. pout.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Paint it pink!
Old 12-24-07, 06:08 AM
TandemGeek
hors category

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)