Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Any tandem pictures from Interbike?

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Any tandem pictures from Interbike?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-08, 03:39 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
The daVinci ICS system has been around for well over a dozen years. And to their credit they are still around and doing more innovative work . . .
Rode one of the first daVs on the road; a great tandem. We've been riding in tandem so long it's tough to teach old dogs new trix and we did not particularly like the ICS function.
Their workmanship is impeccable and if something doesn't work to their satisfaction, Todd designs his own, and improved, component.
Many new folks to tandeming especially like the daV ICS system as it gives stoker a bit of independence in the pedaling choice.
And, they are great folks to deal with too.
Pedal on TWOgether!
Rudy and Kay/zonatandem
Old 09-30-08, 08:49 AM
WheresWaldo
Ride it like you stole it

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale EVO Ultegra Di2, Pedal Force Aeroblade, Rue Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
More tandem pictures from InterBike in this Road Cycling thread by BoSoxYacht:

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...=470530&page=5
Old 09-30-08, 09:49 AM
TandemGeek
hors category

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by WheresWaldo
More tandem pictures from InterBike in this Road Cycling thread:
Just based on a short visit to that thread, I'm quickly reminded why I seldom venture away from the tandem subforum...
Old 09-30-08, 10:20 AM
WheresWaldo
Ride it like you stole it

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale EVO Ultegra Di2, Pedal Force Aeroblade, Rue Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by TandemGeek
Just based on a short visit to that thread, I'm quickly reminded why I seldom venture away from the tandem subforum...
The pictures were still good, though.

TG, and others, something most of you already know but bears repeating, each forum has its own personality. they have their own characters and it is hard to jump from one forum to another when you do so infrequently. Just as you felt about the Road Cycling sub-forum, that is how I sometimes feel about this forum. I mostly lurk here but not enough to get the real feel, the lay of the land so to speak. You have to be patient with your single bike brethren, they mean you no harm.

Last edited by WheresWaldo; 09-30-08 at 10:41 AM.
Old 09-30-08, 10:55 AM
TandemGeek
hors category

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by WheresWaldo
The pictures were still good, though.
I'll save those of you who don't want to surf the bother by including hot links to the postings with the photos in my comments, below:

The Santana photos are interesting...
  • Good to see Mr. Bill working the booth in a number of shots and it looks like they've decided to raise the bar on the high-end of their offerings...
  • Beyond now appears to come with an optional translucent colored top coat instead of just a clear coat so that they can be personalized.
  • The Scandium and perhaps other models now seem to be sporting Exogrid Bi-Fusion down and boom tubes along with some sort of carbon seatstay...
  • The 26" off-road Santana hardtails reminded me of the old Cannnondale Headshock forks with what appears to be a crown-mounted mono-shock.

Other photos
  • KHS looks pretty much unchanged aside from new paint schemes and a shift towards lots of decals, ala Pinerello's 4Power and others in Europe.
  • The bike that caught my eye at the Co-Motion booth was the single Cross bike, which looked pretty sweet.
  • Calfee had a a SoCal customer's Tetra Tandem on display along with the shop's Bamboo tandem which garnered some less than flattering commentary from someone who doesn't seem too fond of Craig. However, what is interesting is what appears to be a prototype carbon stoker stem installed on the Bamboo tandem.
Anyway, I'll be anxiously awaiting the latest Santanazine with descriptions of all their latest offerings and, I suspect, some observations about their competitors latest offerings.

Last edited by TandemGeek; 10-01-08 at 07:08 AM.
Old 09-30-08, 11:29 AM
zzzwillzzz
shut up and ride

Bikes: supersix hi-mod,burley duet tandem,woodrup track,cannondale cross,specialized road

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[LIST]
[*]The Scandium and perhaps other models now seem to be sporting Exogrid Bi-Fusion down and boom tubes along with some sort of carbon seatstay...
[LIST]
all three materials, ti, aluminum + steel can be had with the exogrid downtube and boom tube. the person at the booth didn't mention the carbon stays and i missed them. i have the 'catalog' it doesn't show the exogrid stuff, i forget how much it adds to the price
Old 09-30-08, 05:10 PM
TandemGeek
hors category

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Here's one that slipped through the cracks... This is apparently an Ellsworth Ride2 tandem featuring the NuVinci CVP (Constant Variable Planetary) rear hub and some of the other features of Ellsworth's award winning "The Ride" design... BikeRadar suggests this will go into production but just looking at the bike it appears to be a concept bike that still needs some tweaking.

Last edited by TandemGeek; 09-30-08 at 08:21 PM.
Old 09-30-08, 09:46 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
R2 . . . very interesting/novel frame design! With CVP, could be a candidate for a belt drive all the way around???
Old 10-01-08, 06:36 AM
cornucopia72

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll save those of you who don't want to surf the bother by including hot links to the postings with the photos in my comments, below:

The link takes you to the Co-motion pic.
Old 10-01-08, 07:01 AM
TandemGeek
hors category

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cornucopia72
The link takes you to the Co-motion pic.
Whoops.. It's fixed.

I also added in the link to the photos that caught a little bit of Bill McCready working visitors to the Santana booth (the gentleman with the silver hair)

[*]Good to see Mr. Bill working the booth in a number of shots and it looks like they've decided to raise the bar on the high-end of their offerings...

Last edited by TandemGeek; 10-01-08 at 07:37 AM.
Old 10-01-08, 07:14 AM
mrfish

Bikes: Trek T200 plus enough others to fill a large shed

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Really liked the CVP idea - looked up the data sheet here https://www.fallbrooktech.com/nuvinci.asp which shows how it works. Normal limitation is either gear range, torque transmission or efficiency of the system. Some basic calculations to see what fails first in a tandem application:

Key data as follows (from data sheet):
Low ratio 0.5
High ratio 1.75
Max 130NM at the hub
Min chainring to sprocket ratio 2.0

Some minutes in Excel shows that this is an equivalent range to 53x11 and 34x25, i.e. a bit better than compact crank users would run with, so tick the gear range box. Then chainring to drive it to put the gear range into the right speed ballpark would be 36x13 or something similar, so entirely do-able.

Final limitation is the torque transmission = 130NM at the hub. Given the overall speed ratio 36/13*0.5 = 1.38, this becomes 180NM at the pedal in bottom gear. With 175mm cranks this gives a max weight of 105kg on the pedal, which I think would be marginal for larger and or stronger tandem teams, but eminently suitable for singles and cruiser bikes.

Final check is efficiency - There seems to be data on this, but the NuVinci people aren't releasing it as it's not good news compared with a derailleur system. However they say the benefit of always having the right gear outweighs the lower efficiency, which I buy for non racing use.
Old 10-01-08, 11:34 AM
MB1
DisMember

Bikes: Waterford RS22 Gearie, Waterford RS22 Fixte, Rivendell Rambouillet, Trek Madone5.5, Santana Beyond, GT Zaskar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jcs_396
Will these guys ever find someone that can weld their tubes together? The close up really shows the poor quality of their welding team. After spending all that money for a Santana, I would be ashamed to seen on one.
We are quite happy with ours, thanks.
Old 10-01-08, 12:20 PM
rmac

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MB1
We are quite happy with ours, thanks.
Right. The look of the welds are a feature not a defect. Stronger joints? An industrial look?
Old 10-01-08, 12:38 PM
TandemGeek
hors category

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
The welds on all of the production models depicted at Interbike looked pretty darn good, despite some of the really awful weld beads we've seen pictures of in the recent past, e.g., Beyond example comes immediately to mind.

However, I've actually discussed the aesthetics of welds with some of the builders and most are reluctant to draw too much attention to how welds look since the beads can sometimes be more of an art form than a gauge of the strength of the joint. And, because it's an art form, a change in welders or different welders will often times cause weld joints to look different.

In fact, the TIG welds on the Santana Cabrio-10 don't look all that different from the TIG welds layed down on our '02 Erickson S&S tandem... good welds but no style points.
Old 10-01-08, 04:37 PM

Bikes: 2005 LeMond Buenos Aires, 2009 Santana Tandem, 2023 Sanitas Custom Node

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
On our old Santana I loved the large radius welds (brazed I would think). The welds on our new Santana are not nearly as pretty; if I ever repaint the frame, I may have the joints brazed over just for looks.
Old 10-01-08, 07:42 PM
TandemGeek
hors category

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Great photos of a Co-Motion Periscope Torpedo (top-end racing Periscope) sporting the Gates sync belt can now be found here: https://www.bikeforums.net/showpost.p...&postcount=146
Old 10-02-08, 06:53 AM
jgg3

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Great photos of a Co-Motion Periscope Torpedo (top-end racing Periscope) sporting the Gates sync belt can now be found here: https://www.bikeforums.net/showpost.p...&postcount=146
Yes, that is very interesting. Is that a Salsa logo on the 71t chainring? Does anyone have comparative efficiency numbers for belt drive vs roller chain? It says "Carbon Drive", but the timing chain part itself looks like it is aluminum. Is Co-Motion advertising this yet?
Old 10-02-08, 07:22 AM
TandemGeek
hors category

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jgg3
Yes, that is very interesting. Is that a Salsa logo on the 71t chainring? Does anyone have comparative efficiency numbers for belt drive vs roller chain? It says "Carbon Drive", but the timing chain part itself looks like it is aluminum. Is Co-Motion advertising this yet?
It's a Gates logo and Carbon Drive refers to the belt, not the drive gears. You can learn more about Gates' Poly Chain® GT® Carbon™ Belt system here: https://www.carbondrivesystems.com/

The Gates site doesn't speak to the tandem application and I've not yet seen anything from Co-Motion aside from their August Blog entry soliciting photos for their new catalog. In fact, the only reason I saw that was because I'd hoped to find some mention of the belt drive in the blog...

Perhaps someone who attended Interbike could advise if they had the new catalogs on hand at Interbike and what they said.
Old 10-02-08, 01:53 PM
Murf524

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Belt drive. Cool. I need to replace the timing chain on our Speedster I wonder if I can get an upgrade? Are they using a Bushnell eccentric with it?
Old 10-02-08, 10:37 PM
zzzwillzzz
shut up and ride

Bikes: supersix hi-mod,burley duet tandem,woodrup track,cannondale cross,specialized road

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfish
Really liked the CVP idea - looked up the data sheet here https://www.fallbrooktech.com/nuvinci.asp which shows how it works. Normal limitation is either gear range, torque transmission or efficiency of the system. Some basic calculations to see what fails first in a tandem application:

Key data as follows (from data sheet):
Low ratio 0.5
High ratio 1.75
Max 130NM at the hub
Min chainring to sprocket ratio 2.0

Some minutes in Excel shows that this is an equivalent range to 53x11 and 34x25, i.e. a bit better than compact crank users would run with, so tick the gear range box. Then chainring to drive it to put the gear range into the right speed ballpark would be 36x13 or something similar, so entirely do-able.

Final limitation is the torque transmission = 130NM at the hub. Given the overall speed ratio 36/13*0.5 = 1.38, this becomes 180NM at the pedal in bottom gear. With 175mm cranks this gives a max weight of 105kg on the pedal, which I think would be marginal for larger and or stronger tandem teams, but eminently suitable for singles and cruiser bikes.

Final check is efficiency - There seems to be data on this, but the NuVinci people aren't releasing it as it's not good news compared with a derailleur system. However they say the benefit of always having the right gear outweighs the lower efficiency, which I buy for non racing use.
my brother and i rode a couple of commuter bikes with the nuvinci hub. it's really heavy when you pick the bike up but other than that is very nice. it's pretty cool to dial in the gear and be able to tweak it ever so slightly to keep it comfortable gear as the grade changes. it really good for someone that doesn't understand gears and isn't necessarily interested in going fast. instead of trying to figure out which lever to push or turn and which way to turn it, just twist the bar until you find what you like. it's great for someone new to the sport and perhaps a little intimidated by the technology.
Old 10-03-08, 05:22 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
I don't come here enough to remember the couple's name but a team here raced their tandem in a TT - white and green kit, with an enormous rear disk brake. I believe I saw a huge huge poster of them at IB. Can anyone confirm that? If it's the same couple then I wonder if the booth will be dismantled and tossed, and therefore a huge mounted poster would be available to the couple. For the life of me I can't remember the booth, may not have been a tandem booth per se.

cdr
Old 10-03-08, 06:56 AM
TandemGeek
hors category

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Hermes (Richard & Mary Ellen A.)

Santana also used this photo on the back cover of it's more recent catalog.

https://www.bikeforums.net/showpost.p...10&postcount=1

Last edited by TandemGeek; 10-03-08 at 07:00 AM.
Old 10-03-08, 02:58 PM
72andsunny

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Hermes (Richard & Mary Ellen A.)

Santana also used this photo on the back cover of it's more recent catalog.

https://www.bikeforums.net/showpost.p...10&postcount=1
They are even faster than they look.
Old 10-04-08, 08:17 AM
dubbelop

Bikes: Santos Dual Travel touring tandem, MSC Zion MTB-tandem, Santos SCC03 MTB, Santos STR01 trekking bike, Cannondale F500 MTB, Kalkhoff E-bike, Centurion Cross 4000 cyclocross bike (converted to road bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whoops.. It's fixed.

Is that a Cannondale Headshok in some of their models or have they adopted some other in-headtube suspension? I've seen a similar system in a Koga Miyata single bike recently, I believe.
Old 10-05-08, 04:57 PM
Brian

Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have a few tandems shots amongst my photos.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.