Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

New 2009 Cannondale Tandems are up!

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-08, 06:18 PM
Rahzel

Bikes: Trek 1500 road bike, Giant Trinity Alliance tri bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looks like Cannondale has updated its website with the 2009 tandem offerings. As the captain of a rather poor team that put off purchasing an RT3 last fall solely for financial reasons, I'm *very* interested in whether or not these tandems will stay at the same price point as last year's superb offerings.

Looks like they updated the colors (awesome white for the RT2, nice shades of black and blue for the RT3), beefed up the boom tube and stays, and kept the same componentry as the 2008 models.

Also, I can't be sure, but it looks like they got rid of the "bent" top tube on the smaller sizes (all the pictures show a straight top tube, though they could very well just be using a larger size bike as the model in the pictures)?

What does everyone else think?

Link: https://www.cannondale.com/bikes/09/cusa/tandem.html

Edit: well crap, looks like this is old news. If people still want to discuss this, then awesome. If not, I'll just go over to the "search" function and the mods can delete this post. Sorry, all.

Last edited by Rahzel; 09-17-08 at 06:22 PM.
Old 09-18-08, 08:58 AM
dvs cycles

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You post something here and get bent because no one replies 4 minutes later**********???
It's a forum not a chat room.
Old 09-18-08, 10:32 AM
Rahzel

Bikes: Trek 1500 road bike, Giant Trinity Alliance tri bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't "get bent." What happened was, I made the post, then did a search and realized that this topic had been discussed before. I think you misconstrued my genuine apology (for not using the "search" function before I posted) for sarcasm. I guess that wasn't clear in my edit, sorry about that.
Old 09-18-08, 11:19 AM
Phantoj
Certifiable Bike "Expert"

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
? A little trainwreck at the start of the thread...

But I'd like to see a little more discussion about the 09 Cannondales. Seems to me that the stoker seat tube lengths are getting a lot shorter. I guess that makes sense... a more compact frame will accommodate a wider range of riders - better for the tall captain/short stoker scenario.

But the severe slope in the top tube looks to me like it would make it more tricky to put a rack on, for touring or carrying a baby. I guess Cannondale doesn't think that many of their tandem owners do that.

The big machined dropouts are pretty wild! And the rear caliper is put on the chainstay, so there's more room to mount that aforementioned rack...
Old 09-18-08, 01:11 PM
Al Bundy

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I heard this from customer service at Cannondale

We now use hydro formed tubes for this frame and the Captain’s seat tube is 34.9mm in diameter. They are 2 to 3 lbs lighter than prior year’s road tandems.

all in all it sounds they are moving in the right direction
Old 09-18-08, 03:45 PM
dvs cycles

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rahzel
I didn't "get bent." What happened was, I made the post, then did a search and realized that this topic had been discussed before. I think you misconstrued my genuine apology (for not using the "search" function before I posted) for sarcasm. I guess that wasn't clear in my edit, sorry about that.
What gave me the impression I got was the time between the post and your edit.
Too many times on forums I have seen people expect instant results. Glad yours wasn't meant to be one of them.
Old 09-18-08, 04:34 PM
Knubby
Too lazy to pedal

Bikes: Trek road and mtn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the looks of the new 2009 Cannondale frames; much better than the 08 ones. Thinking about pulling the trigger for a RT2.
Old 09-25-08, 01:18 PM
the desert fox

Bikes: 1997 TREK 6500, 1998 KLEIN Mantra Race, 2004 KONA dew (SOLD),2006 SCOTT SUB (SOLD),2008 GIANT OCR (SOLD), 2006 TREK T900

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
have they set the pricing for these new tandem line?
Old 09-25-08, 03:20 PM
deanack
Cycling since 1978

Bikes: 1981 Custom Assenmacher, 27", full Campy Super Record. Canondale Tandem, 25.5"-21.5" , Giant Yukon MTN Bike 24", 2010 Trek 2.3 64cm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
But they got rid of the the jumbo large size.....
Old 09-26-08, 09:34 PM
embankmentlb

Bikes: 3Rensho-Aerodynamics, Bernard Hinault Look - 1986 tour winner, Guerciotti, Various Klein's & Panasonic's

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 162 Posts
The white bike looks like a tube of tooth past.
Old 10-19-08, 08:42 PM
Jim Bonnet
Somewhere in CA

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Has anyone taken the 2009 for a test drive yet? Are they on the floors? I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on RT2 for myself and my son..
Old 10-20-08, 04:24 AM
PMK

Bikes: 2006 Co-Motion Roadster (Flat Bars, Discs, Carbon Fork), Some 1/2 bikes and a couple of KTM's

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In regards to these new bikes / frames, what are we expecting size and fit wise?

Any thoughts on a 5'10" / 5"6" team in regards to best fit?

https://www.cannondale.com/bikes/09/cusa/model-8RT2.html

PK
Attached Images
File Type: gif
cusa_road_tandem.gif (48.5 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by PMK; 10-20-08 at 04:31 AM.
Old 10-20-08, 07:25 AM
foretexas
Go Horns

Bikes: '09 SWorks Roubaix,'07 Tarmac,'09 Redline Conquest Pro,'09 Redline D660, '90's Bianchi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ordered a M/S for us, 5'10" and 5'7". The bike is not supposed to be here til mid December though. I will post up after we get on it for a ride.

Tim
Old 10-20-08, 10:16 AM
specbill
Riding Heaven's Highwayson the grand tour

Bikes: '10 C'Dale Tandem RT2. '07 Trek Tandem T2000, '10 Epic Marathon MTB, '12 Rocky Mountain Element 950 MTB, '95 C'dale R900, "04 Giant DS 2 '07 Kona Jake the Snake, '95 Nishiki Backroads

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FWIW, we have an older C'dale and run what is essentially a M/S. I'm 5'10+ and she is 5'3" but proportionally we are a bit goofy for our heights with my legs being rather shortish and her's on the long side. Since there is plenty of adjustability for her in the stoker area it is no issue. For the captain area I ended up with a slightly longer stem..all in all no big deal.

Size aside the MOST IMPORTANT deal is...Be sure to have the LBS that you buy from, spend whatever time is needed over the first few weeks/months to get the 'bike fit' for you and your stoker dialed in absolutely right. Getting the comfort level high for the both of you will enhance the overalll enjoyment considerably. Good luck...have fun.
Bill J.
Old 11-01-08, 01:58 AM
dubbelop

Bikes: Santos Dual Travel touring tandem, MSC Zion MTB-tandem, Santos SCC03 MTB, Santos STR01 trekking bike, Cannondale F500 MTB, Kalkhoff E-bike, Centurion Cross 4000 cyclocross bike (converted to road bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PMK
In regards to these new bikes / frames, what are we expecting size and fit wise?

Any thoughts on a 5'10" / 5"6" team in regards to best fit?

https://www.cannondale.com/bikes/09/cusa/model-8RT2.html

PK
Funny thing is: in the US they now use the same frame for both the RT and the Street Tandem. But the MT is still available in Europe: https://gb.cannondale.com/bikes/09/ce/model-9MT.html. Only the RT1 is sold in Europe, RT2 is not on the website. And if you click Street Tandem on the Cannondale EU website you get this Touring Tandem, a nicely thought out package for tandem touring. As pricing goes: all three models retail at 2,999 Euros.
Old 11-01-08, 08:10 AM
PMK

Bikes: 2006 Co-Motion Roadster (Flat Bars, Discs, Carbon Fork), Some 1/2 bikes and a couple of KTM's

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dubbelop
Funny thing is: in the US they now use the same frame for both the RT and the Street Tandem. But the MT is still available in Europe: https://gb.cannondale.com/bikes/09/ce/model-9MT.html. Only the RT1 is sold in Europe, RT2 is not on the website. And if you click Street Tandem on the Cannondale EU website you get this Touring Tandem, a nicely thought out package for tandem touring. As pricing goes: all three models retail at 2,999 Euros.

Again Cannondales marketing genius makes me wonder...Mountain bikes, Road bikes, Motorcycles, getting older and losing more hair from scratching my head.

PK
Old 11-01-08, 03:33 PM
dfcas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=dubbelop;7772639]Funny thing is: in the US they now use the same frame for both the RT and the Street Tandem. "

The USA tandem frames are not the same: the street frame has a 71* head angle, while the RT's have a 73* head angle. Also, the canti mounts are located different. For 26"/559 wheels for the street, and 700c/622 for the Rt's.

dan