Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

26" Tire users

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

26" Tire users

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-08, 07:22 PM
bootskelsey62
Bike nutz for 45+ years

Bikes: Which one?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
26" Tire users

Of those of you out there using 26" tires. What brand and style are you riding on? I need to replace my Raleigh tandem (Coupe) originals (Kenda Kross plus 26x1.95). I'm looking for a little more speed but keeping in the 1.75 to 2.00 range for the comfort factor. We are a 380 lb team and do ride some Rails to Trails paths but looking to do some day touring this coming summer. Thanks All!
Old 12-29-08, 10:58 PM
tim24k

Bikes: To many to list. I like them all!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
I have a set of Schwalbe Big Apples 26x2.00 on a KHS tandem that I like. I also run them on three single bikes and a Surly Big Dummy cargo bike. https://www.schwalbetires.com/big_apple

Ciao,
o^^o
Old 12-30-08, 12:25 AM
pel

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ditto on Schwalbe big apples - I run 2.35 for ruggedness and comfort for my stoker.
Old 01-01-09, 08:49 AM
dubbelop

Bikes: Santos Dual Travel touring tandem, MSC Zion MTB-tandem, Santos SCC03 MTB, Santos STR01 trekking bike, Cannondale F500 MTB, Kalkhoff E-bike, Centurion Cross 4000 cyclocross bike (converted to road bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ditto on Schwalbe but in our case they are Marathon Supreme 50 mm. We used to run Big Apples which we loved but the tire clearance on the rear wheel, combined with a slight sideways wobble in the BAs makes them hard to mount properly. So this year we switched to the Supremes which are also very OK.
Old 01-01-09, 10:12 AM
masiman

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
We are currently running a Ritchey slick (26x1, rated 100psi) on the front and a Continental City Contact (26x1.5, 70psi) on the rear. The City Contact is definitely a softer tire but a nice compromise for speed and wear. If we were doing more trails I would consider City Contacts for our front and rear. We do less than 20% riding on trails. We are a 290-300lb team, but often have a TAB and/or trailer attached which probably adds another 30lbs of tongue weight.

We also liked the Soma New Express (26x1.25, 80psi) tires, but they are not widely available.

We have not tried Schwalbe's yet but will this coming season.
Old 01-02-09, 02:50 AM
rdaviesb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We are running Schwalbe Marathon Racers, 1.5 inch wide. Great, fast tyre. If going a really long way on a tour, I'm going to invest in Marathon Supremes.