Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Peugeot Mixte Value

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-23, 01:53 PM
Sedgemop 

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10 '78 Motobecane Le Champion '83 Motobecane Grand Jubile '85 Trek 830 '88 Merckx Team ADR Corsa Extra

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 1,214 Times in 651 Posts
Peugeot Mixte Value

Thinking about my next winter commuter. I like to buy bikes already setup with fenders and a chainguard of some kind. Chicago winters get pretty messy. Thinking about trying a Peugeot mixte. Never ridden a mixte before and this particular bike hits everything I need for commuting. I guess it's something like a mid-80s PH-18. Looks like the shifters aren't original, but may be an improvement. Tires need to go and the wheels are showing a fair amount of rust. I'd probably replace the wheels with a set I already have. Saddle and grips will go too. I'd probably offer $100 on this. Seller is asking $200 which wouldn't be bad if it was in better shape. What do you say? What's it worth?

Old 12-13-23, 02:17 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
-----

appears somewhat busy...especially cockpit

be frame a reasonable size for thee?

head tube stature can be somewhat misleading on mixtes

odd to see a lion rampante wearing freres huret mechs following decades of partnership with monsieur lucien

if curious as to a specific date they will carry a four digit marking, the first two of which indicate week of year and second two the year

-----

Last edited by juvela; 12-13-23 at 02:19 PM. Reason: add image
Old 12-13-23, 02:29 PM
Sedgemop 

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10 '78 Motobecane Le Champion '83 Motobecane Grand Jubile '85 Trek 830 '88 Merckx Team ADR Corsa Extra

Originally Posted by juvela
-----

appears somewhat busy...especially cockpit

be frame a reasonable size for thee?

head tube stature can be somewhat misleading on mixtes

odd to see a lion rampante wearing freres huret mechs following decades of partnership with monsieur lucien

if curious as to a specific date they will carry a four digit marking, the first two of which indicate week of year and second two the year.

-----
Thanks for the dating tip. I'd definitely declutter the poor thing.
Old 12-13-23, 02:30 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,783 Times in 638 Posts
The bike does look to be in pretty good shape. The wheels look like they should clean up fine. Needing a set of tires II would say $150 or so if you really like the bike and it is the right size with everything working good $200 seems OK price for a major market.
Likes For zukahn1:
Old 12-13-23, 03:33 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 666 Posts
The rims appear to be aluminum with brass eyelets. The "rust" appears to be just dirt. I don't know if the seller would go to $100. It is just about winter and it would be hard to sell a bike now. So, if they are eager to sell perhaps. If they have storage they may hold out until spring.

The bike appears to be in good condition. I believe it originally had stem shifters. If you prefer stem shifters, ask the seller if they still have them. Thumb shifters are a little less reach to shift, but fine tuning the shifter can takes some getting used to. It is a big plus that it already has fenders on it. You need fenders for a commuter. The dynamo powered lights? Nowadays, I would think you would probably prefer rechargeable battery powered lights for commuting. I would ditch the cycle computer as well.

It is almost too nice for a winter commuter. But that is up to you. If you get it give it a coat or two of wax to try to protect it against the slush/sand/salt mix that it is going to get washed with.

Commuting in Chicago winters, I give you credit @Sedgemop . I did it in Boston and came in each morning needing to thaw out. Then my boss would tell me "It's 19 degrees this morning" "Yes, Thanks for letting me know." . I don't miss that.

Maybe you can settle somewhere in between the asking price and your first offer. By the way, another option would be an internally geared hub bike, like a three speed. I'm thinking Raleigh Sport and their spin-offs or a Schwinn Racer/Breeze or similar with a Sturmey Archer AW. These weather the winter quite well, and are easy to shift with even the thickest gloves. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 12-14-23, 08:18 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
$80. And ask if you can leave the curious monstrosity of a saddle with the seller as it would take up too much room in your garbage bin.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 12-14-23, 09:16 AM
Sedgemop 

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
$80. And ask if you can leave the curious monstrosity of a saddle with the seller as it would take up too much room in your garbage bin.
Yeah, the saddle is hurting my eyeballs, for sure.

My experience with the Chicago market is that the (increasingly electric bike) Divvy bike-share business and other factors have decimated commuter bike value. Our estimates are probably about where this bike will sell. I think a few years ago, it would have sold at $200 without too much trouble. Ugly saddle and all.
Old 12-14-23, 09:26 AM
Sedgemop 

Originally Posted by Velo Mule

Maybe you can settle somewhere in between the asking price and your first offer. By the way, another option would be an internally geared hub bike, like a three speed. I'm thinking Raleigh Sport and their spin-offs or a Schwinn Racer/Breeze or similar with a Sturmey Archer AW. These weather the winter quite well, and are easy to shift with even the thickest gloves. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
Thanks for all the advice. I've had lots of 3 speeds over the years and they are great commuters. Like to try something different every winter and I'm thinking about a mixte this time. With Chicago being so flat, shifting isn't much of an issue. For commuting, I usually just use one gear unless the headwinds are egregious. I wipe down the bikes after a slushy ride too. Everybody's happy.
Old 12-14-23, 10:14 AM
Sedgemop 

I was assuming these are rusty steel wheels, but I guess they are just dirty aluminum. Might be willing to pay a bit more for that.