Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Simplex Freewheel 14-24 5speed

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-23, 04:52 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,769 Times in 635 Posts
Simplex Freewheel 14-24 5speed

Looking for thoughts on value on this Simplex Freewheel 14-24 5 speed marked only with Simplex in script on front of freewheel body. Also does anyone know the likely age vintage and if it's English or French threaded. I was looking to come up with asking price to possible sell it here or on ebay. Cogs look good and the freewheel action is smooth and good but a bit noisy. Should clean up a bit nicer I just gave it a quick wipe down for photo's

Old 12-18-23, 07:03 AM
missingspoke

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 11 Posts
Years ago if something wasn't marked it was usually English threaded, but the only safe way is to measure the threads of try it on a hub.

Price wise, it'll depend on whether or not someone is looking for that particular part. I've had them sit for sale for a year with no takers at $30.
While if someone absolutely needs that for their restoration they may pay $80 or more. The problem is that lately no one seems to be buying anything.
Even former holy grail type parts just sit without so much as a look.
Shipping rates have gone nuts lately and most bidders just figure the cost of shipping as part of the price so if it costs $10 to ship, its $10 less your going to make.
Up until about the end of 2021 I was selling 30 items a day, since then, I've not sold that many in two years. I hear the same thing from other sellers as well.
I'd figure out what thread it is, take some good pics and put it up for some crazy price. Anyone who really needs it will pay or contact you with an offer.
Likes For missingspoke:
Old 12-18-23, 09:35 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2484 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
From the Sheldon Brown page for Traditional Thread-on Freewheels:

"A French freewheel may start to thread onto an ISO/British/Italian hub but will soon bind."

So (carefully) starting it on a BSA hub will answer the threading question.
Old 12-19-23, 07:56 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
I was only recently aware of Simplex as a brand of freewheels. My hunch would be French threaded, just not seen in any quantity.
save the Asian “reproductions” they started to market with single cog versions, then a 7 cog. No idea who the They is.

https://www.somafabshop.com/shop/sim...=976#attr=4338

there is a single cog now branded Nervar!

Last edited by repechage; 12-19-23 at 07:59 PM.
Old 12-19-23, 08:19 PM
Sedgemop 

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10 '78 Motobecane Le Champion '83 Motobecane Grand Jubile '85 Trek 830 '88 Merckx Team ADR Corsa Extra

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 1,214 Times in 651 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
I was only recently aware of Simplex as a brand of freewheels. My hunch would be French threaded, just not seen in any quantity.
Yeah, I got a vote for French threads too. Had one with no markings and it was French threaded.
Old 12-20-23, 09:43 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

I'm thinking French also since the old tool box I got it from at the thrift store also had a bunch French odds and ends from Simplex and Stronglight including a unmarked Stronglight crank pull, bb spindle which I also got along with Ultra 6 HKK chain that's a good match for the freewheel that I got for a couple bucks. I will probably end up just listing the stuff here after the Holiday's for a good price since I will don't have a use for this stuff and it would likely take a long time to get a good price from ebay.
Likes For zukahn1:
Old 12-22-23, 05:05 PM
zukahn1 

As a follow up did get around to checking it on a thread gage and test hub and measure it. It is ISO/English standrard thread with slightly narrower Ultra spacing so a late 70's vintage. Did list it on ebay for a good price if anyone is interested thanks for the help and interest.
Old 12-24-23, 02:32 PM
Sedgemop 

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10 '78 Motobecane Le Champion '83 Motobecane Grand Jubile '85 Trek 830 '88 Merckx Team ADR Corsa Extra

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 1,214 Times in 651 Posts
Originally Posted by zukahn1
As a follow up did get around to checking it on a thread gage and test hub and measure it. It is ISO/English standrard thread with slightly narrower Ultra spacing so a late 70's vintage. Did list it on ebay for a good price if anyone is interested thanks for the help and interest.
Good to know about the threads. Thanks for passing along. I’ll stop assuming I know anything about French freewheels.
Old 12-29-23, 02:16 PM
zukahn1 

As a follow up I was able to sell this one fairly quick on Ebay for $35 shipped so I ques there is some market for these.