Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

What's Your Minimum Climbing Speed to Stay Upright?

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-08, 10:07 PM
mooncricket

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As a new tandem rider (around 250km so far), I noticed that our minimum speed for climbing hills is around 7 km/hr. Any slower and the bike feels like it will keel over.

Feels as though on a tandem, I have to climb a bit faster than if I were on a single.

What's your experience?
Old 01-22-08, 10:26 PM
JTGraphics

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My stoker is great at not throwing her weight around so we can crawl at 2-4mph if needed and I can hold the tandem at a stop for several seconds at times quite like a track stop. I give her great credit for the great trust she has in my ability to keep it upright I wouldn't dare do it with anyone else.
Old 01-23-08, 08:59 AM
oldacura

Bikes: 1998 Co-Motion Co-Pilot, 2015 Calfee Tetra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
When you get down really slow (& likely breathing really hard) you find out there is a big difference between 3.5mph & 3mph (5.6kph & 4.8kph). We have ridden as low as 3mph for a short distance near the top of a steep hill.
Old 01-23-08, 07:29 PM
TandemGeek
hors category

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
We've gone really slow and have never fallen over... but my wife is a petite flower and well-manner stoker which makes everything easier on a tandem.

I think the only way I can sum-up the difference is to note that it's simply different. So much of our riding is done on the tandem that almost everything has become rote and not all that much more unusual than similar experiences on single bikes.
Old 01-23-08, 07:59 PM
ROJA
Pepperoni Power

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Our limiting factor is cadence/gearing rather than speed, I think.
Old 01-23-08, 09:19 PM
bikeoutfit

Bikes: Santana Arriva S&S, Calfee Tetra S&S, Cooper, Ritchey, Trek T2000, Trek Carbon ATB to name a few.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to think that about 3 1/2 mph was as slow as we could possibly go. Then we got older and slower and more experienced I guess and we do 3 1/2 kph in France during the summer. I can not go that slow here in California in the winter, maybe because we are doing club rides most of the time and that slow is not allowed?? Back in about 1977 when Bill McCready was teaching me how to Captain a Tandem and teach tandeming, he would drop into granny and do an extremely tight circle, to make a U Turn, at about 2 mph or less. The key seems to be maintaining headway thru pedaling and then you can go almost zero and still keep balance. The key to a track stand is making headway while being stopped if that makes any sense. Not swinging from side to side is the other key. Smoothly my friends.

Dick Powell, www.OutfitterTours.com
Retired Founder & Former Owner of The Bicycle Outfitter of Los altos, California
Old 01-23-08, 09:58 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Slowest ever for us: 3 1/2 to 4 mph at 9,000+ ft. elevation with 6% steady grade.
Get into granny gear and just 'twiddle' . . . and yes, a good/trusting stoker is a huge + !
You know you're moving slow when a caterpillar can cross underneath your tandem and not get squashed!
Pedal on TWOgether!
Rudy and Kay/zonatandem
Old 01-24-08, 06:16 AM
mooncricket

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the tips, guys and gals!

I think it must be my gearing. We're new to this
Old 01-24-08, 08:47 AM
oldacura

Bikes: 1998 Co-Motion Co-Pilot, 2015 Calfee Tetra

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
"You know you're moving slow when a caterpillar can cross underneath your tandem and not get squashed!"

Rudy - I love this picture!
Old 01-26-08, 03:09 AM
dubbelop

Bikes: Santos Dual Travel touring tandem, MSC Zion MTB-tandem, Santos SCC03 MTB, Santos STR01 trekking bike, Cannondale F500 MTB, Kalkhoff E-bike, Centurion Cross 4000 cyclocross bike (converted to road bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeoutfit
... he would drop into granny and do an extremely tight circle, to make a U Turn, at about 2 mph or less. The key seems to be maintaining headway thru pedaling and then you can go almost zero and still keep balance ...
Indeed, keep on pedaling is important for making tight turns and I'd like to add that squeezing the rear brake makes it even easier. We went down some very tight hairpins on a mountainbike tour of the French Alps last year by using this technique. On many occasions we do a short trackstand in the middle of a hairpin to determine where the front wheel is to go. This to the amazement of many a solo rider
Old 01-26-08, 09:08 AM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
The slower you go the more difficult it is to ride a straight line, ditto the higher the
crank torque, as in steep hills. Higher cadence helps a little, but if you need to keep
a line it will take extraordinary balance to do so under 3.5mph up a hill. Doing slow
donuts is a lot easier, bears and chimps can do it. If you can wobble several feet
side to side then going slow is also less challenging on two wheels.
Old 02-07-08, 05:21 PM
72andsunny

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
In the US: 5 MPH
In Europe: 5 KPH

Someday I'll try setting the computer to metric at home, and see if I can match my European speed.
Old 02-07-08, 09:23 PM
regomatic
Cyclist- Bike 'n a half

Bikes: Custom S & S Bushnell Tandem, Eddy Merckx Ti

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
About 3 mph tandem or single. If we/I can't go any faster than that, it's probably safer to walk.
Old 02-09-08, 02:48 AM
Front Half

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We have managed a long, steady climb at about 4.7 km and occasionally we have been slower. Our 'trick' is to have the Captain's pedals advanced by 90 degrees ahead of the Stoker's. That way there is always someone in 'power', and there are no power surges.
Old 02-10-08, 11:25 AM
bikeoutfit

Bikes: Santana Arriva S&S, Calfee Tetra S&S, Cooper, Ritchey, Trek T2000, Trek Carbon ATB to name a few.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Front Half
We have managed a long, steady climb at about 4.7 km and occasionally we have been slower. Our 'trick' is to have the Captain's pedals advanced by 90 degrees ahead of the Stoker's. That way there is always someone in 'power', and there are no power surges.
During the late 70's and early 80's we had all our floor model tandems set up with the front crank leading by 90 degrees. Bill McCready had convinced me this was a more efficient setup. However, most of my staff did not like it and eventually we ended up in sink on our own tandems as well.

I never thought about any effect on going slow, but what you said makes sense. I think I will try it again.
Dick Powell, www.outfittertours.com
Founder & Former Owner of The Bicycle Outfitter of Los Altos, CA
Old 02-11-08, 03:50 AM
Front Half

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With no power surges, the whole transmission should last much longer than if there is strong pulsing from two riders pushing at the same time. However, you will no longer be able to rise out of the saddle.

You will notice your shadow, and be convinced you are at different cadence. Know that it is an optical illusion.
Old 02-11-08, 08:39 AM
cornucopia72

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Front Half
With no power surges, the whole transmission should last much longer than if there is strong pulsing from two riders pushing at the same time. However, you will no longer be able to rise out of the saddle.

We start, climb and lately sprint out of phase (90 captain leading) out of the saddle. Our slowest constant climbing speed is about 3 mph. Never encounter a hill that required us to go slower... or maybe the fear of falling gave us that little extra push to keep the speed up.

You will notice your shadow, and be convinced you are at different cadence. Know that it is an optical illusion.
No idea what you are referring to...
Old 02-11-08, 09:25 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 373 Posts
I'm afraid we're going to find out. Just decided to enter the Tandem division for Everest Challenge.

17% grade at 10,000 feet, after 28,000 feet of climbing (in the 2 days) should produce the answer.
Old 02-11-08, 09:32 AM
TandemGeek
hors category

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
I'm afraid we're going to find out. Just decided to enter the Tandem division for Everest Challenge.
I know you did this last year on your single bike, but how many times have you and your stoker done anything like this?

Last edited by TandemGeek; 02-11-08 at 09:39 AM.
Old 02-11-08, 10:24 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 373 Posts
Originally Posted by TandemGeek
I know you did this last year on your single bike, but how many times have you and your stoker done anything like this?
Never. Starting a 7 month plan now to get ready.

She's done some fairly hard riding in past years. (70 mile ride finishing up L' Alpe de Huez would be her toughest ride to date.)

Most of our tandem rides have been a bit more leisurely.

We have our work cut out for us.
Old 02-14-08, 04:05 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Never. Starting a 7 month plan now to get ready.

She's done some fairly hard riding in past years. (70 mile ride finishing up L' Alpe de Huez would be her toughest ride to date.)

Most of our tandem rides have been a bit more leisurely.

We have our work cut out for us.
7 months seems about right- When I can get the dates right- I do a 100 mile offroad ride that is hard. Nothing to suggest on training but we normally use 24/32 as our lowest gear and 3 mph is the slowest we can stay upright. However for training- we put on a 26 in place of the 24. 15% hills and you can't slow down to 3 mph with that gear. We would stall on the pedals.

Just find the steepest hills in your area and do repeats on them. Didn't help us but I like to suggest others to suffer the pain we did.

Spike Milligan
Old 02-20-08, 04:34 AM
Dr.Deltron

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
The slowest we go is about .3 mph.

No falling over as we have a tandem recumbent TRIKE!

Old 02-20-08, 08:18 PM
Michel Gagnon
Year-round cyclist

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
In 2006, with the loaded tandem pulling a loaded trailer (self-contained touring for 3 persons), I climbed most hills at 5 km/h, but a few at 2,5-3 km/h.