Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

arai drum discontinued

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

arai drum discontinued

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-09, 03:57 PM
jbyrne

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
arai drum discontinued

Hi,

I was able to order an arai drum brake from co-motion who still has a stock of these things. It seems that neither co-motion or Santana plan on offering a drum drag brake after the current stock is depleted.

I heard that QBP owns the rights to the Arai name and the design. Does anyone know if the Arai will ever go back into production by QBP or anyone else?

I just had the disk tab cut off my co-motion since I wanted to add proper rack mounts. I had been using the avid mech disc. I did a trip to France a few years ago in the Pyrenees and I think the performance of the disk was marginal. Granted the roads out there require extreme braking. The disc would fade, often accompanied by noise and vibrations. I also melted the front rim shoes and had to replace them a couple times during the trip. Our team is also pretty light (260 without bike and no big load).

Anyhow, it just kind of sucks that the proven technology is discontinued and all we are left with are marginal solutions.

Thanks,
Jason
Old 01-09-09, 04:05 PM
TandemGeek
hors category

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
There is purportedly an alternative drum brake in the works by someone but I don't have the particulars.

However, in the mean time, I believe there are a number of folks like Mel at TandemsEast.com who have also stock piled the Arai drums and it's not too hard to find used (or in most cases just previously owned) ones by posting "wanted to buy" notices to the tandem-specific classified ad sites and web lists.
Old 01-09-09, 11:34 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Perhaps the usage/popularity of disc brakes has had an impact on the sale of Arai drum brakes?
Agree, there is likely to be a supply of Arais for a few years to come.
Old 01-13-09, 03:13 PM
dubbelop

Bikes: Santos Dual Travel touring tandem, MSC Zion MTB-tandem, Santos SCC03 MTB, Santos STR01 trekking bike, Cannondale F500 MTB, Kalkhoff E-bike, Centurion Cross 4000 cyclocross bike (converted to road bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Haven't read all the threads on the Tandem Cycling forum so maybe I missed something on the subject of the alledged discontinuation of the Arai drum brake. Over here in Holland, a similiar rumour is around for about six months now but nobody knows anything for sure. "They say" it would have had something to do with the asbestos in the brake linings. But since car brakes are already asbestos-free for ages now, this seems hardly likely IMHO.

To shed some light on this matter and with all due respect to anyone who writes about this, I'd like to know if anyone can verify whether the Arai drum brake actually has been discontinued or is going to be discontinued in the near future.
Old 01-13-09, 03:24 PM
jbyrne

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is an email response that I got from QBP (Quality Bicycle Products):

Jason,

We do not have the rights to the Arai name.

At this time we have discontinued their products.

Arai has ceased production and is no longer in business.

Unfortunately I have no contact information for this manufacturer or any new manufacturer that has taken on this type of product to help in your situation.

Thanks for your inquiry.

-Tyler

Tyler R. McKay

Customer Service Agent

Quality Bicycle Products

tmckay@qbp.com

800.346.0004 ext. 1464
Old 01-14-09, 06:11 AM
TandemGeek
hors category

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dubbelop
I'd like to know if anyone can verify whether the Arai drum brake actually has been discontinued or is going to be discontinued in the near future.
As noted earlier and affirmed in the note back to jbyrne from QBPs Tyler R. McKay, the last production lot has been stuffed onto the shelves of OEM builders and retailers.

I'm not sure what the OEM builders like Co-Motion or Santana are holdling in inventory, but Tandems East has an ample supply of new units that will last for several years. In fact, they may have simply bought up whatever QBP had on hand as Mel's a savy businessman when it comes to such things.

Moreover, and as alluded to in my assessment of how long the existing inventories -- new and used -- may last, because of disc brakes,whatever remaining inventory there is will certainly cover future requirements for the folks who really need a drum brakes as most of the folks sitting on the fence these days opt to fit a rear disc as their belt & suspenders approach to rear brake technology. Again, there are just so darn many of these things that have been sold to teams who ultimately found they didn't need them. So, until the hundreds of new units sitting in inventory are gone and all of those second hand ones are redistributed to those who need them, the 'need' for a replacement may be a few years down the road.... at least for buyers who are willing to investigate.

Looking forward and again as noted earlier, there is some product development on-going that could yield a new drum brake in the future. If it does come to fuition for use on tandems, just don't expect it to be cheap like the Arai. Like most new products, covering development costs on a low-volume product = premium pricing.

Last edited by TandemGeek; 01-14-09 at 06:16 AM.
Old 01-18-09, 05:29 AM
dubbelop

Bikes: Santos Dual Travel touring tandem, MSC Zion MTB-tandem, Santos SCC03 MTB, Santos STR01 trekking bike, Cannondale F500 MTB, Kalkhoff E-bike, Centurion Cross 4000 cyclocross bike (converted to road bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TandemGeek
As noted earlier and affirmed in the note back to jbyrne from QBPs Tyler R. McKay, the last production lot has been stuffed onto the shelves of OEM builders and retailers.

I'm not sure what the OEM builders like Co-Motion or Santana are holdling in inventory, but Tandems East has an ample supply of new units that will last for several years. In fact, they may have simply bought up whatever QBP had on hand as Mel's a savy businessman when it comes to such things. [SNIP]
@Tandemgeek and Jbyrne: thanks a lot for this information.
Old 11-14-10, 09:55 PM
TandemGeek
hors category

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I'll be covering this in a blog entry this weekend, but just to close the loop on this thread for anyone who might find it doing a search of the archives, here's a photo of the Arai drum brake replacement currently being developed and about to begin pre-production testing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
drum_proto..jpg (97.6 KB, 140 views)
Old 11-15-10, 08:43 AM
Philly Tandem

Bikes: Too many! Santana tandems and triplet; MTBs; touring bikes

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
Interesting. Looks like a Tandems East shaved model. I had wondered if they'd lose the heat sink in the prototype.

I still have 4-5 Arai's in my parts box that I somehow acquired over the years. I'm good for the next century, I guess!
Old 11-15-10, 11:05 AM
ct-vt-trekker

Bikes: 2024 Specialized Tarmac SL8Pro, 2022 Specialized Epic Evo, 2021 Framed Alaskan Fatbike,2019 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro, 2018 Trek Stache 9.7, 2013 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert, 2009 Ritchey Breakaway Cross, 2016 Lynskey ProCross, 2008 Trek T1000 Tandem,

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TandemGeek
I'll be covering this in a blog entry this weekend, but just to close the loop on this thread for anyone who might find it doing a search of the archives, here's a photo of the Arai drum brake replacement currently being developed and about to begin pre-production testing.
Interesting. Who's developing this brake? I was just curious who will be selling this in the future.
Old 07-10-13, 12:18 PM
TandemGeek
hors category

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
The Mad Dog Drag brake from Maddock Machine is now available; more information on my blog.

https://tandemgeek.wordpress.com/2013...now-available/

Old 07-12-13, 10:36 AM
twocicle
Clipless in Coeur d'Alene

Bikes: Tandems: Calfee Dragonfly S&S, Ventana ECDM mtb; Singles: Specialized Tarmac SL4 S-Works, Specialized Stumpjumper Pro, etal.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
As White Industries has discontinued the Daisy (threaded side for drum brake) rear hub, what are the alternatives once the Daisy stock is gone?
Old 07-12-13, 11:10 AM
TandemGeek
hors category

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
... Shimano HF08, Phil Wood, the Rolf Prima Vigor Tandem (yeah, go figure) and I suspect that White will still produce a left-side threaded hub. I'd have to drop a note off to Lynette, but they do all kinds of custom drillings and other made-to-order work so I wouldn't count them out.

Other than that, there's a lot of inventory out there as well.