Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

The power of a cam

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

The power of a cam

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-13, 01:21 PM
rex_kramer
Acts 2:38

Bikes: '10 Marin Lucas Valley, '13 Scott Speedster 20

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The power of a cam

Yesterday, on my ride home, I was cut off by a dumpster bin hauler. Long story short, I uploaded the footage to my YT page and sent the link to the company. Within hours I received a written apology and a request for more info on the location where it took place so they could figure out who was driving that particular truck. Since they were cool about it, I was too. When they kindly asked me to remove the company name from the title and tags, I obliged them.

So just when I was starting to question the time involved to mess with my cams (changing/charging batteries, mounting, unmounting, video editing, uploading, etc.)...possibly hitting the road without them, I reaffirmed their importance.

Old 09-07-13, 01:52 PM
vatdim

Bikes: Drag Grizzly, Raleigh Pioneer Venture GT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great conduct from the company, whoever they are. I never considered using a cam, but this situation here definitely provokes some thought.
Old 09-07-13, 02:02 PM
John Lesar

Bikes: Ahearne CycleTruck, Marin Pine Mnt. Surly LHT,Spot SS MTB, Windcheetah trike

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Really? Thats it?
Old 09-07-13, 05:36 PM
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At least he crossed over the yellow line before cutting in front of you.
Old 09-07-13, 05:43 PM
CaptCarrot

Bikes: Heavily modded Cannondale Hooligan 1 (2009) and an upgraded Raleigh Max Zero-G

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have to say it didn't look that bad to me, there "appears" to be plenty of space there. That said, he "should" have waited for you to pass the junction or turn before he made the turn himself.
Old 09-07-13, 06:33 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
That happens to me every day. What's the big deal?
Old 09-07-13, 06:51 PM
megalowmatt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I kind of have to agree. At least the perspective of the video doesn't give much indication of great danger.
Old 09-07-13, 07:06 PM
longbeachgary

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It's not a matter of it being great danger or an extremely close call. It's matter of training so that the driver uses better judgement when driving around bicycles. He shouldn't be terminated - just talked to.

EDIT - and to those who say that this stuff happens all the time - you need a better place to ride because one of these days it won't just be a close pass.
Old 09-07-13, 07:07 PM
FenderTL5

Bikes: Trek 7.3FX, Diamondback Edgewood hybrid, KHS Montana

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a very similar incident, except I was in a left turn only lane, and the delivery truck made a left from the thru lane across in front.. about the same distance.
Old 09-07-13, 08:08 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by longbeachgary
It's not a matter of it being great danger or an extremely close call. It's matter of training so that the driver uses better judgement when driving around bicycles. He shouldn't be terminated - just talked to.

EDIT - and to those who say that this stuff happens all the time - you need a better place to ride because one of these days it won't just be a close pass.
I live in DC, rated worst traffic and worst drivers in the US. The cyclists aren't much better, frankly.
Old 09-07-13, 09:29 PM
walrus1

Bikes: Schwinn World Sport Jamis Ventura

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree this is actually extremely tame driving. I was expecting a giant dump truck to cut you with mere inches to spare whilst dropping its load everywhere.
Old 09-07-13, 11:31 PM
rex_kramer
Acts 2:38

Bikes: '10 Marin Lucas Valley, '13 Scott Speedster 20

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by John Lesar
Really? Thats it?
I've had 'em closer than that, but yeah, that's it (I'm pretty sure that's enough). My point is that this truck is a rolling billboard representing the company. Driving stupidly may not be a good idea if you value your job.
Old 09-07-13, 11:35 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
That happens to me every day. What's the big deal?
Agree ^^^ move on.

Old 09-08-13, 08:02 AM
justme23

Bikes: 96 GT Talera, 2000 Marin Sausalito

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not cool but not that bad either.This happens to me in Dallas daily.
Old 09-08-13, 08:14 AM
Notgrownup

Bikes: Trek Madone 2.1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Meh!!! Didn't look bad to me either... Not enough to report it anyway... I don't even see where you slowed down any...No eminent danger, move on...Glad it wasn't bad.
Old 09-08-13, 09:52 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Perhaps I can't tell from the video but it didn't look close. It didn't seem as if you had to brake. However in real life it was probably a lot scarier and more dramatic than it seems on video.
Old 09-08-13, 10:43 PM
Mr. Hairy Legs
Super-spreader

Bikes: shiny red tricycle

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 97 Posts
Looked like bad driving to me, but not really dangerous for the cyclist.

I've found that drivers of dump trucks, food delivery trucks, etc. are the worst out there... obviously it doesn't take much to get that class of driver's license.
Old 09-09-13, 08:19 AM
spivonious

Bikes: 2012 Trek Allant, 2016 Bianchi Volpe Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Agree with the others that this doesn't look too bad. Obviously not the smartest driving, but I don't think I would have bothered contacting the company.
Old 09-09-13, 12:30 PM
Dwayne
Rocketship Underpants

Bikes: '94 RS Bikes Stampede (commuter), Scattante XRL Team road bike (formerly '05 Cannondale R5000), '05 Cannondale Prophet 1000

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here's one from last Friday, I plan on emailing it to the company. Approaching a blind hill doing about 20mph on a 35mph limit road, a driver of a "school" bus (in quotations because it's a rental bus, might have been for a school field trip, but looks like a school bus) thought it would be a great place to pass by going into the oncoming lane, screw the car that was already there. I'm surprised the oncoming car didn't drive onto the sidewalk to avoid the bus.

Old 09-09-13, 12:42 PM
Rootman

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 2 Hybrid

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Dwayne
Here's one from last Friday, I plan on emailing it to the company. Approaching a blind hill doing about 20mph on a 35mph limit road, a driver of a "school" bus (in quotations because it's a rental bus, might have been for a school field trip, but looks like a school bus) thought it would be a great place to pass by going into the oncoming lane, screw the car that was already there. I'm surprised the oncoming car didn't drive onto the sidewalk to avoid the bus.
]
Been there done that, actually had the guy pass me and stay in the left lane so long that the oncoming traffic had to swerve into THEIR left lane - and therefore headlong into ME - the car and truck passed each other on the wrong sides and I went off the road, thankfully it was a very shallow shoulder and mowed grass. I just stood and watched as this old beater truck probably took another 100 feet to mosey back into his lane, completely oblivious and didn't even touch his brakes.

Sometimes I wonder how we don't all end up as grease spots on the side of the road.
Old 09-09-13, 01:08 PM
Number400

Bikes: Cannondale Slate 105 and T2 tandem, 2008 Scott Addict R4, Raleigh SC drop bar tandem

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I believe the dumpster pass, while not too close to daily metro rider's experiences, was poor driving. While giving the cyclist some room, he swung across the double yellows and was driving too fast for the conditions (a cyclist in front of him and heading into an intersection), and in an unsafe manner.

Here is my issue with the scene. The dump truck DID NOT SLOW DOWN, just drove around the cyclist. Had there been a sudden oncoming car, or a pedestrian stepping out onto the intersection, the truck would then brake and swerve to avoid the new obstacle. This is where the just passed cyclist gets killed. If drivers decreased speed then assessed the situation (wait a ****ing second), we would all be safer.

It's all well and good that people are "so good" at driving that they can just dodge and weave past anything in front of them. It is a whole different story when they drive way too fast into a situation that has no outs. I drive many miles per year. Nearly every day, I almost get rear ended, or someone pulls out right in front of me. Just this morning, up a long hill on the interstate, I had to slow for some tools who were jumping to the right to go around slower cars and nearly collided going for the same space. I had plenty of room in front to decrease my speed and the fool behind me was skidding and came very close to rear ending me at 55mph. I used my available safe space that I leave in front so that I have plenty of reaction time and don't have to slam on my brakes for every single incident ahead. The guy behind me was lucky that I did because I had a little more space to give him by incrementally easing off my brakes. Despite this one near miss, he still tailgated me down the road for miles.
Old 09-09-13, 01:31 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Old 09-09-13, 02:35 PM
gregjones

Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mr. Hairy Legs
I've found that drivers of dump trucks, food delivery trucks, etc. are the worst out there... obviously it doesn't take much to get that class of driver's license.
Most of those drivers are paid by the load. Haulin' butt can mean one more load at the end of the day.....adding up to probably another paycheck in a month's time. Quite a chunk.

Logging trucks are prominent of these around here with a large lumber mill just up the highway. Even at that, I have had them all give me the whole lane as they pass.
Old 09-09-13, 02:56 PM
jrbee7

Bikes: Surly LHT, Soma Smoothie E/S, Cannondale Road Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't have a camera nor do I think about it very often, but I disagree with the sentiment that we should just ignore this type of driving because it happens all of the time or because the pass wasn't that close. I have a short commute and most drivers are pretty considerate, but I still encounter a few people each week in right/left hook situations. Some of them are close and some of them are not, as measured by whether my adrenaline goes up, but I see complaints all the times on these forums about buzzing and close passing.

Good for you for actually taking some action and good for the company for seeming to care.
Old 09-10-13, 01:29 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2496 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
If the self righteous panty waists had any shame, this thread would have slunk off to page two by now. Just saying... if I owned a bus fleet and someone called me to complain about one of my drivers I would sympathized with the caller, offer to fire the driver on the spot, offer to dry clean their bike shorts, anything to make them feel like they got satisfaction. I would do that. But we know that I don't for a minute think that anyone who would ride around with a camera strapped to their helmet deserves any sympathy. This thread is proof of that. Epic fail. Oh the irony is just too delicious.

H

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.