Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

I saw the dumbest thing today!

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-13, 07:30 PM
walrus1

Bikes: Schwinn World Sport Jamis Ventura

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I was going to the grocery store this afternoon when I saw a guy in a sedan who decided he was fed up waiting for a few cars to turn left in front of him. So simply he drove into the crosswalk missing a couple pedestrians and back into the travel lane. I was so shocked that I think my mouth was hanging open I've seen drivers do some crazy things but this is certainly in the top 5.
Old 09-08-13, 03:51 AM
Jimi77
Used & Abused

Bikes: GT Avalanche 2.0 + Burley D'lite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reminds me of a left by my old condo. People used to honk at me all the time as I gave the right of way to the oncoming traffic. I guess it didn't occur to them that if I went into oncoming traffic and got into an accident that that would actually tie up the intersection and slow their commute even further.
Old 09-08-13, 05:47 AM
CaptCarrot

Bikes: Heavily modded Cannondale Hooligan 1 (2009) and an upgraded Raleigh Max Zero-G

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A while ago I watched one of these Police camera shows, that showed a bus in London turning left (would be akin to a right turn in most of the rest of the world).

He was so impatient that he mounted the kerb and drove his bus inside the traffic light and back out on to the road.
Old 09-08-13, 07:39 AM
phillybill

Bikes: paratrooper, bullhead, cdale bad boy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
very common in the philly area ..... nowhere is safe
Old 09-08-13, 09:11 PM
Isaiahc72

Bikes: 2015 Kona Rove AL, 2016 Giant Escape 2, 1995 Giant attraction SS,

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Motorists are too unsafe. I had one come around a blind corner in a parking lot driving the wrong way in my lane and almost hit me
Old 09-08-13, 11:38 PM
Ozonation

Bikes: Helix, Brompton, Rivendell, Salsa, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I wasn't on a bike, but I was exiting from a wholesaler with a massive trolley cart full of supplies for the orientation session we were putting on for first year university students. I had boxes piled up to maybe 10 ft high, it was broad daylight, and lots of space in the parking lot to move around for pedestrians and cars. A car pulled into the special needs stall, and it stopped, so I assumed it was there to stay. As I moved behind the car with my huge trolley towards my car, it slowly started backing up. I was thinking, "... surely he has to be able to see me with my massively loaded cart in broad daylight... " but no, he just kept creeping back. I finally had to yell.

If I can, I almost always reverse into a lot so that I don't have to struggle to check for traffic when leaving.

And the other week when I was out riding, I was watching one driver as she yapped away on the cell phone, looking the other way, and clearly not bothering to check that there might actually be a bicyclist on the bike path with the green. She looked only a bit startled when she finally met my gaze and realized I was there. Again, broad daylight, and me in pretty bright colours. I'm not that easy to miss!