Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Would You Stop A Bike Thief That Is Just Like You Or Even A Beautiful Girl?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-10, 10:44 PM
folder fanatic
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

https://abcnews.go.com/WhatWouldYouDo/video/stop-bike-thief-10589721

Here Is An interesting hidden camera experiment On 3 different types of people (White Male, Black Male & A Stunning Blonde Female) stealing the same bike, wearing the same clothes (at least the males-the girl wore skimpy clothes) in a city park right in the middle of the day. After you see the video series (this link above is Part One-make sure you tune in the rest of the section), ask yourselves what would you do if you were there?

I bet the men would fell under the spell of the pretty bike thief girl!

Last edited by folder fanatic; 05-08-10 at 10:49 PM.
Old 05-09-10, 12:20 AM
Snowman219
VICTORY IS MINE!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I dunno if a cute blond would need to steal a bike. Don't they have their boyfriends for that?

Black guy: TASERED!
White guy: TASERED!
Me asking cute blond out: Hey wanna go out sometime?
Ahahah not with a loser like you! ...TASERED!

My justice doesn't discriminate...black/white/cute ALL TASERED!

There are my answers.
Old 05-09-10, 12:53 AM
zeppinger

Bikes: Giant FCR3, Surly LHT

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
That was amazing. Thanks for posting!
Old 05-09-10, 01:51 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
What I'd be worried about would be getting accused that I'm assaulting the female. Maybe I could turn the tables and yell at her for sleeping with my best friend.
Old 05-09-10, 03:47 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
A real bike thief would carry one of those portable grinders. He/She would be through that chain before the paster got to catch his breath.. probably less than 30 seconds. The video is, in that sense, bogus. The people passing by were probably wondering why the thief was so stupid.
Old 05-09-10, 05:42 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
That's probably what I would think, too -- must be an idiot, and must've been dumb enough to lose his key.

One scenario they could add would be to put the "thief" in a Park Service shirt.
Old 05-09-10, 06:47 PM
SunnyFlorida

Bikes: Sun Miami Trike - 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't see the blonde girl in the video segment. Just the black and white guys.

Hhhhmmmmm....you gotta wonder if the white folks would have been that confrontational if the black guy was as beefy as the white guy. That black guy looked pretty small. Something tells me, if he was, some of them just would have whipped out their cell phones - away from him - and called the police.

I agree with some of the posters above though, a real bike thief wants to get in and out of there quick. They definitely don't want to attract attention, which includes not making eye contact or engaging in any conversation.

Now, to tackle the real question, would I do anything? I honestly don't know. I would have to be pretty sure that the bike wasn't his before I placed a call. However, if I got the same answers both actors gave out, I wouldn't hesitate to call but it's doubtful that a thief would be that obliging.
Old 05-09-10, 09:29 PM
folder fanatic
Banned.

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SunnyMiami
I didn't see the blonde girl in the video segment. Just the black and white guys.

Hhhhmmmmm....you gotta wonder if the white folks would have been that confrontational if the black guy was as beefy as the white guy. That black guy looked pretty small. Something tells me, if he was, some of them just would have whipped out their cell phones - away from him - and called the police.

I agree with some of the posters above though, a real bike thief wants to get in and out of there quick. They definitely don't want to attract attention, which includes not making eye contact or engaging in any conversation.

Now, to tackle the real question, would I do anything? I honestly don't know. I would have to be pretty sure that the bike wasn't his before I placed a call. However, if I got the same answers both actors gave out, I wouldn't hesitate to call but it's doubtful that a thief would be that obliging.
When you scroll downward, you will find the little thumbnail for Part 2 Is Blonde a Bike Thief or Damsel in Distress?: https://abcnews.go.com/WhatWouldYouDo/video/blonde-bike-thief-damsel-distress-10589753?tab=9482930&section=9660855&playlist=9663633

This is the most eye-popping part of this segment. My apologies for being lazy too and not scrolling down to check for the link.
Old 05-09-10, 10:05 PM
travelmama

Bikes: Kona Ute, Nishiki 4130, Trek 7000, K2 Mach 1.0, Novara Randonee, Schwinn Loop, K2 Zed 1.0, Schwinn Cream, Torker Boardwalk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The scenes were corny but I noticed how many congregated around the black guy as if he were a street dancer. The woman who was snapping photos with the camera phone was the best. The white guy had ten people pass which was no big deal. The girl is another story. The problem with each scenario is that there was no timer so we don't know which thief was there the longest to gain such a reaction.
Old 05-09-10, 11:52 PM
ClimbTheHill

Bikes: Haro V1 Vector

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've given this some thought before.

If I see someone working on a bike lock with tools, I'm going to act as if the bike is mine and ask "what the hell are you doing to my bike!?". If the guy runs off then I know he was a thief. If the guy confidently states that he owns the bike, I'll assume he's telling the truth.

(although the video isn't about bike thieves, it is about stereotyping)
Old 05-10-10, 12:02 AM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
The shot of the girl video, where they say, "Remember our other bike thieves?", as they saunter towards the camera...

There's no doubt that it's not about bikes, but about stereotyping instead. And as a white male, I'm pretty embarrassed..

And poor "Reg", who, on national TV, totally ignored his wife as he stepped up to help steal the bike.
Old 05-10-10, 01:44 AM
xray1978
Degenerate Grouch

Bikes: Kona Hahanna, Schwinn Speedster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have zero tolerance for bike thieves. I have had a bike of mine stolen; when it happened, I was even poorer than I am now and had to save up for a long time to replace it. Gender and race make no difference to me. I assume that if you don't have a key you are probably stealing.

I would make a scene, if that did not deter the thief I would not hesitate to call the police. God help you if you are trying to steal my bike.
Old 05-10-10, 06:01 AM
SunnyFlorida

Bikes: Sun Miami Trike - 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by travelmama
The scenes were corny but I noticed how many congregated around the black guy as if he were a street dancer. ....

HA!!!! Try lynch mob! I got such an uncomfortable feeling when they started to surround him.

Thanks Folder Fanatic for providing a convenient link to the blonde segment.

You know some of you guys should bow your heads in shame.

For shame...for shame...

The best proactive one of the lot was the female runner who observed the fake femal thief, made a silent judgement call, then walked a little away and called the police.

But, as BarracksSi said, it's really about stereotyping.

I'm sure if the thief was a senior citizen (male or female, white black or hispanic) something tells me people would help out too. You know how helpless us old farts are.

Last edited by SunnyFlorida; 05-10-10 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-10-10, 07:13 AM
Yaniel
SLO-1

Bikes: '09 BMC Road Racer SL01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i wonder what would happen if they hired an actor to form a ruckus around the white guy, like the first man did with the black actor. It might have been more about the one brave person to step and take a stand to make everyone else feel brave and stand up to the thief too. It's probably not the case, but its a nice thought.
Old 05-10-10, 05:51 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If another guy tried to steal my bike, his blood would run red in the street, regardless of color.

If I wanted a woman to take a bike out of my life, I'd marry her.
Old 06-01-10, 12:51 AM
JesusBananas
Banana-tastic!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BarracksSi
And poor "Reg", who, on national TV, totally ignored his wife as he stepped up to help steal the bike.
Reg ain't getting laid for a looong time.

Originally Posted by SunnyMiami
Hhhhmmmmm....you gotta wonder if the white folks would have been that confrontational if the black guy was as beefy as the white guy.
I wouldn't describe being out-of-shape as "beefy"...

And to all the people pointing out that the passerbys are wondering why the bike thief is so stupid, this is a moot point.
1) The person is obviously not a professional bike thief (so what?)
2) They are still trying to steal the bike (and therefore, the right thing to do would be to report them)

These videos were fantastic. Thanks for sharing!
Old 06-07-10, 10:38 AM
Novakane 

Bikes: Sekine RM40 1980, Miyata 1000LT 1990, Raleigh Mixte Sprite 1980, Raleigh Grand Prix 1979

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The stereotyping is not surprising, although the degree it manifested itself was. It really burned me up to watch people on bicycles do nothing about an admitted bicycle thief in the first segment, then actually assist an admitted thief in the second video. I would think that a cyclist would find it fairly easy to put themselves in the shoes of the bicycle's owner.

I've never actually come across a bicycle theft in progress, but I would stop and question someone trying to forcedly remove a locking chain regardless of race or sex. Sadly, if they where able to convincingly tell me it was their bike I would be at a loss of what to do regarding it - however, there would be a police call made certainly if they admitted to theft.
Unfortunately, being male and at the mercy of my own hormones - the pretty blond might have an easier time convincing me, and even getting a hand - if I thought it was her bike. The men who actually helped her steal a bicycle knowingly should be ashamed that a pretty girl could convince them to become accessories to a crime in progress without even trying. I've done some things that I thought where a little questionable to impress a pretty girl - but to commit a crime? Never.

As to direct physical confrontation as some have suggested, I consider that a last resort action and only if it was my bike or I knew the owner. You never know what weapons people are carrying and I'd rather not find out what kind of damage bolt cutters could do to a person - I am not likely to risk injury over an anonymous stranger's property. That's what the police are for. Take some pictures so the police have something to go on if they don't arrive fast enough, call in a report, and keep an eye on the situation from a safe distance.
Old 06-07-10, 02:05 PM
benajah
One legged rider

Bikes: Kuota Kharma, Surly LHT, CAAD9, Bianchi fg/ss

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Great video,
My guess would be that in plain daylight in a park, most people's first impression if someone has a big bag of tools and is not acting suspicious is that they lost the key to their own bike lock.
If it takes you longer than 60 seconds you don't know what you are doing anyway.
Old 06-08-10, 04:45 AM
Motobetird

Bikes: Colnago n' Cannondales

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Americas racist... what moron didn't already know that?
Old 06-08-10, 05:11 AM
Metzinger
Primate

Bikes: Concorde Columbus SL, Rocky Mountain Edge, Sparta stadfiets

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Motobetird
America(')s racist...
Name a country that isn't.

... and how is this a Living Car Free thread?
Old 06-09-10, 04:31 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Peeked in on this again, just to see what else has been said.

I'll just summarize what I said earlier: if you have your hands on my bike, I will have your blood on my hands. But you will NOT get my bike.
Old 06-11-10, 09:12 AM
mr geeker
Day trip lover

Bikes: '16 Giant Escape 3 (fair weather ride), Giant Quasar (work in progress), 2002 saturn vue (crap weather ride)

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
personaly, i dont think id bat an eye at either guy, but the blonde, id help her. on the other hand theres a couple rules that aply here:

rule #52 - Never ask when you can take
rule #218b - Sometimes what you get free costs entirely too much.
rule #285 - No good deed ever goes unpunished.
Old 07-03-10, 01:56 PM
nashvillwill

Bikes: Globe Vienna 3 Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i think another acting flaw in this video was the age of the actors. I might be an old fart, but i tend to give an adult the benefit of doubt. Teenagers, i assume they are always up to no good. I was when i was that kids age.

I imagine my response would depend upon who i was with. If i'm with my girlfriend, or nephews, i generally avoid all confrontation. If i'm alone or with another adult male, i might check into things.
Old 07-03-10, 04:07 PM
akohekohe
The Professor

Bikes: Alex Moulton Double Pylon, Surly Big Dummy, Alex Moulton GT, AZUB TiFly

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
This thing is typical of our idiotic mass media ... why aren't they doing real investigative reporting? If these clowns weren't manufacturing stories like this maybe they could be breaking real news stories - like finding another prostitute who had sex with Tiger Woods ...
Old 07-06-10, 09:23 AM
captainkanji

Bikes: Giant Rincon & Iguana

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All I know is, if they were stealing my bike, they'd get a closeline. Don't care what race/gender they were. It's gonna take me a month and a half to buy a $975 bike. Unless they've got a gun, they are not getting away with my baby.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.