Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

2010 Mercier Kilo OS

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

2010 Mercier Kilo OS

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-10, 12:15 PM
mihlbach

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by xsnakobx
I have to agree with Mihbach on this one. The idea of a 3-speed fixed gear hub is ridiculous when you really think about it. I've only experienced the KiloTT, and personally, I'm glad I've moved on from there. After stripping the stock hub while taking off the stock lockring, I realized what I was in for as a BD customer.
No offense to BD, but I think there's a reason that they price things so cheaply. You definitely get what you pay for.
(also, the double-top-tube is so ugly and pointless I kind-of can't even wrap my mind around it)
To be clear, my argument is not that BD sells inferior quality bikes. For the price, the quality of the frames and components is quite good and I wouldn't necessarily avoid buying them. However, whereas most brands put some thought into the design and componentry of the bike before releasing it, BD tends to just throw random ideas out there without thinking much about it, other than how well it might sell. Thats why you end up with 10,000 different models based on the same 2 or 3 frames. Its also why they don't care about the little details, such as if the fork rake matches the frame geometry correctly, or if a frameset with fender eyelets actually has clearance for fenders. This is the number one reason why, despite being tempted to buy a bike from BD, I never actually have. There is something that is just always off.

Their road and MTB offerings are not so misfit, probably because with those bikes its easiest to stick to the standard formula, with a series of bikes based around a few different style framesets that are priced according to a standard component hierachy (e.g. tiagra, 105, ultegra, duraace). ALso you aren't going to find people in the roadie or MTB crowds that are willing to buy mismatched parts, or pointless dead weight like double top tubes, or unpainted frames.
Old 02-14-10, 12:22 PM
xsnakobx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fair enough. I still don't think they're really worth the money (cheap parts don't often last long).
I agree with you about the "something off" aspect. I always kind-of wondered why the kilo had eyelets for fenders (and why every kilo tt fork looks like it has different rake).
Old 02-14-10, 01:40 PM
Brian

Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
Just because the government is stupid is no reason for a responsible manufacturer to be so as well. Either BD is just interested in following the letter of the law in order to avoid lawsuits from ignorant consumers, or they are total idiots themselves and think that a rear brake is the best way to stop a bicycle quickly. They should either ship a FG bike without any brakes with a warning sticker in a dozen languages declaring that this bike is for "track use only" or supply it with 2 brakes. I don't buy the "meeting a price point" arguement either. There are other cheap bikes out there that cost less, are of comparable quality and provide 2 brakes.
I think Mike has ridden enough miles to know that a rear brake is hardly the most efficient way to stop a bike. Beyond that, I'm not in a position to comment on his business decisions. He's obviously on to something, as he sells a lot of bikes.
Old 02-14-10, 02:02 PM
mrvile
The bus, Gus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xsnakobx
Fair enough. I still don't think they're really worth the money (cheap parts don't often last long).
From this comment I'm wondering what bike/components you ride. Tiagra is Tiagra, DA is DA. You do get them for considerably less money from BD, though.
Old 02-14-10, 02:58 PM
preston811

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrvile
From this comment I'm wondering what bike/components you ride. Tiagra is Tiagra, DA is DA. You do get them for considerably less money from BD, though.
What are you talking about? Are you trying to say that no BD bike has any cheap parts?
Old 02-14-10, 03:13 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian
I think Mike has ridden enough miles to know that a rear brake is hardly the most efficient way to stop a bike. Beyond that, I'm not in a position to comment on his business decisions. He's obviously on to something, as he sells a lot of bikes.
OK, now I understand. You're saying that BD is knowingly promoting an unsafe practice, but somehow that is justifiable based on success in sales. Good old business morality. Gotta love it.
Old 02-14-10, 03:17 PM
Brian

Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
OK, now I understand. You're saying that BD is knowingly promoting an unsafe practice, but somehow that is justifiable based on success in sales. Good old business morality. Gotta love it.
No, I stated that he's complying with a law that's a misguided attempt at making bicycles safe. If the bikes that only come with a single rear brake were such a liability, I doubt he'd be selling so many. Obviously, people are not hurting themselves on them.
Old 02-14-10, 04:31 PM
bikesdirect_com

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just because the government is stupid is no reason for a responsible manufacturer to be so as well. Either BD is just interested in following the letter of the law in order to avoid lawsuits from ignorant consumers, or they are total idiots themselves and think that a rear brake is the best way to stop a bicycle quickly. They should either ship a FG bike without any brakes with a warning sticker in a dozen languages declaring that this bike is for "track use only" or supply it with 2 brakes. I don't buy the "meeting a price point" arguement either. There are other cheap bikes out there that cost less, are of comparable quality and provide 2 brakes.

I do not write the CPSC rules
lots of bikes do not allow the code: but I try to make sure ours do

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." – Mahatma Gandhi
Old 02-14-10, 06:30 PM
bikesdirect_com

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mihlbach

The pointless double top tube on the Kilo OS

3-speed fixed gears

naked frames

an aluminum frame with a steel fork

a 29er SS MTB with an absurdly tall gear

You either gotta love it or hate it.

we have about 175 models - about 150 are what I would call main stream - about 20 or 25 at a time we are just throwing ideas on the wall to see what sticks.

Cafe Noir was the first model FlatBar road Bike that most people ever saw - it was considered really strange - got lots of ugly comments -- I showed that bike at InterBike about 10 years ago; it took off in sales; we do 3 Cafe models now: adding 4 more this year and everyone seems to do bikes like that

Double TT bike is a 'style' statement - bike is selling in our shops and online: we will be out before Summer - it is a one time run - next version I will alter a few things.
Lugs also do not make bikes ride better: they are a style statement
But I am doing at least 5 models with lugs this summer - several the lugs will be chromed [which also does not improve ride]

S3X bike sold out - trying to get more with a lowered price point - this bike was in response to interest from customers --
Kilo WT5 with internal 5-speed and bar cons and WTF spacing landing soon - another not main stream bike -- but one of my favorites

naked STRIPPER - which we call RAW sells out faster than any color in that bike: customers seem to love it -- I have an employee that commutes on the original sample in Florida: after a year it still looks great - he likes it

an aluminum bike with a steel fork {I think trek Soho has that} -- we do lots of Aluminum beach cruisers with steel forks -- our two SS/FG in AL have CF forks {SST-AL and Moto track team}
Fantom CX and CX3 are two of our biggest selling bikes - AL CX frames with nice 4130 forks
{I do not like Aluminum forks: I prefer 4130, CF, or Ti for a fork}

29er with large chainring -- OUTCAST 29 has TruVativ Aluminum 42T 170mm with bash guard with a Bonus 33t Chain Ring -- which means it comes with 42T on crank and a extra 33T in parts box -- ride it as street or off-road -- buyer has options; 42T is mounted as that leaves chain longer and if mounting 33T you just shorter chain {how does that not make sense}

Yes - with about 175 options in models: you can love or hate any that you wish
I like options

But I am not going to stop trying new things because a few may not be accepted

{as a side note: 'comfort' mountain bikes and full aluminum cruisers were crazy ideas I tried out that about 3 years later most companies did}

In the mean time - anyone have some wild idea for production bikes - just throw it out there - I may give it a shot: nothing to stop me from adding another 'non main streamed' bike to the mix. I seem to move enough of the main stream stuff that I can afford the risk on a few different bikes.
Already have several wacky ones in the works -- which keeps things fun

I like fun
I like options
I like bikes

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." – Mahatma Gandhi
Old 02-14-10, 06:39 PM
xkillemallx16

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
pursuit kilo, with some new things such as a 27.2 seatpost, 1 inch threaded (or 1 1/8 threadless - 1 inch threadless is hard to find), track geo, under 250 (or <300 for reynolds 631/753, as that is what the mark v pro/angus have). im not paying 500 dollars for an affinity lo pro.

Last edited by xkillemallx16; 02-14-10 at 08:43 PM.
Old 02-14-10, 06:52 PM
mihlbach

Originally Posted by bikesdirect_com
In the mean time - anyone have some wild idea for production bikes - just throw it out there - I may give it a shot:
Tandem. Nothing weird or experimental. Just a good affordable tandem. Make it a low-cost ss version, but put it on a frame and wheelset that will take gears.
Old 02-14-10, 06:54 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian
No, I stated that he's complying with a law that's a misguided attempt at making bicycles safe. If the bikes that only come with a single rear brake were such a liability, I doubt he'd be selling so many. Obviously, people are not hurting themselves on them.
Obviously? Maybe people are having accidents that might have been averted if they'd used a front brake, but don't know any better and say nothing. I've seen people have accidents on chopper motorcycles with inadequate front brakes that might have been avoided with decent brakes. These motorcycles are completely street legal and pass state inspection, but they are still unsafe. Motorcycle manufacturers don't care because they sell a lot of these bikes and don't get sued over accidents because they've got the law on their side. Like I said, good old business morality.
Old 02-14-10, 06:58 PM
mihlbach

Obviously? Maybe people are having accidents that might have been averted if they'd used a front brake, but don't know any better and say nothing. I've seen people have accidents on chopper motorcycles with inadequate front brakes that might have been avoided with decent brakes. These motorcycles are completely street legal and pass state inspection, but they are still unsafe. Motorcycle manufacturers don't care because they sell a lot of these bikes and don't get sued over accidents because they've got the law on their side. Like I said, good old business morality.
Get over it man. BD offers plenty of bikes with front and rear brakes. No one is dying. There are many other more important things to stress out over.
Old 02-14-10, 07:04 PM
PlatyPius
Arsehole

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
But I am doing at least 5 models with lugs this summer - several the lugs will be chromed [which also does not improve ride]

You're intent upon making me by a Motobecane, aren't you?

29er with large chainring -- OUTCAST 29 has TruVativ Aluminum 42T 170mm with bash guard with a Bonus 33t Chain Ring -- which means it comes with 42T on crank and a extra 33T in parts box -- ride it as street or off-road -- buyer has options; 42T is mounted as that leaves chain longer and if mounting 33T you just shorter chain {how does that not make sense}
I ride a Raleigh Mojave 29 with a 50/36 road crank. Big chainrings are good.

In the mean time - anyone have some wild idea for production bikes - just throw it out there - I may give it a shot: nothing to stop me from adding another 'non main streamed' bike to the mix. I seem to move enough of the main stream stuff that I can afford the risk on a few different bikes.
Already have several wacky ones in the works -- which keeps things fun

I like fun
I like options
I like bikes
If you were to make a bakfiets-type bike, and have a wholesale-to-dealer option, you would be my new hero.
Old 10-17-10, 11:11 PM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Agreed. Go untraditional. Grant Peterson would agree with you. Be daring.

Most bike companies play it safe - and oh the bike people denounced on this thread as hideous has almost sold out!

It seems the market is willing to accept something that looks different.

Don't be afraid to try something new!