Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

eBay / CraigsList finds - "Are you looking for one of these!?" Part II

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.
View Poll Results: ...
a
100.00%
b
100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

eBay / CraigsList finds - "Are you looking for one of these!?" Part II

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-10, 01:59 PM
khatfull
FBoD Member at Large

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by i-timy
Am I the only one who thinks the offer over email/phone to pay the CL seller more than the advertised price with 0 desire to follow through with the increased price is a toolbag move?
I'll defend myself here.

1) Had the bike been the 58cm I was hoping it was (sellers frequently mismeasure and small grainy photos make it hard to tell) I would have paid the $150 I offered immediately and walked away. The 58cm would have been a no-brainer keep for myself.
2) Since it was the smaller 55 and I was really unsure if I would keep it or pass it on after I had my fun cleaning and shining it I offered the original sale price of $100, the extra $50 would go towards my time and the modicum of supplies necessary to really get it into top notch shape.
3) I was completely honest with the seller when I made that offer, explaining that the size was an issue and that a $100 price would maximize return for any time I put into it. I told him I'd give him the original $100 asking price if he wasn't interested in having more people come out to look.
4) I told the seller he was welcome to decline the offer, "totally up to you", and go with the other interested parties. He said, "I just want to get rid of it."

So, being perfectly honest I didn't go into it with the intention of making and offer, reneging on it, then hoping for the best. The frame isn't the size I had hoped but (this will sound corny) I saw the potential in the bike to shine again and I really wanted to work on it.

I was probably exuberant in describing the circumstances. I'm new at this and the previous 8-10 attempts to buy a bike of my liking have failed (except for one)....two of those I was told by the seller to come on out to take a look only to get to one and have it already sold and gone, another time called on the cell while in transit and told it was sold. Sellers pull "tricks" sometimes as well. So yes, I was probably excited to "snag" one finally, and that exuberance probably came through in my relating of the events.

I know the seller has visibility here so to you I'll say this: $150 would have been in your pocket immediately had it been the 58cm size. My agonizing over that point was genuine (I wish I was as good an actor as you're probably thinking I am...I'm not). My $100 offer was genuine as well, I made it in good faith thinking maybe, as you said, you just wanted it gone. I was there, the bike was there, I made the offer, you accepted. You "wanted it gone". But, I can certainly see how this looks like a sleazy attempt on my part and honestly, very honestly, it wasn't. So seller, if you'll contact me via e-mail again I'll get you an additional $50 as a show of good faith on my part.

I'm new to this community and enjoy it immensely and don't want to lose standing in the eyes of members here. I'm just learning the ins and outs of how CL and its nuances work.

I'm also going to e-mail the seller a link to this post in reply to his e-mail to me, I'll let him then decide how to proceed based on what he reads here.

-Keith
Old 02-25-10, 02:23 PM
khatfull
FBoD Member at Large

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Also, for those of you who believe in Karma and believe I was a total "toolbag" here, you'll like this. This morning as I'm driving to work I merge onto I694 behind a semi, goose the old Subaru Forester to pass and "clunk....tick tick tick tick". Rod bearing on #3 cylinder went...new engine $4800. So, if you take that into account I guess I do need to atone.
Old 02-25-10, 02:28 PM
TnBama

Bikes: Serotta Couer D"Acier

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by khatfull
Also, for those of you who believe in Karma and believe I was a total "toolbag" here, you'll like this. This morning as I'm driving to work I merge onto I694 behind a semi, goose the old Subaru Forester to pass and "clunk....tick tick tick tick". Rod bearing on #3 cylinder went...new engine $4800. So, if you take that into account I guess I do need to atone.
You are in Minnesota in February. You have no need to apologize for any behavior you may resort to.
Old 02-25-10, 02:36 PM
khatfull
FBoD Member at Large

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TnBama
You are in Minnesota in February. You have no need to apologize for any behavior you may resort to.
Haha, yes and no....I have less an excuse as you might think. I did get a 42 mile ride in last Saturday and 30 on Sunday. And this coming Saturday and Sunday look to be able 30 degrees and partly cloudy. Looks like some riding again! It's not quite to the point of The Shining here.
Old 02-25-10, 03:03 PM
rat fink
Iconoclast

Bikes: Colnago Super, Fuji Opus III, Specialized Rockhopper, Specialized Sirrus (road)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some idiot drewed a Lemond Zurich frameset in my size. However, it still looks to be a relatively good deal.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv...617233436.html

Freshly repainted by LizArt in Los Angeles - 1999 Lemond Zurich - 57cm Reynolds 853 Frame and Brand new (never used) Kestrel Carbon Fork with an uncut Steerer. Painted Day-Glow Yellow for those bright Classic Road Bikes or Fixies. this Frame is in perfect condition with no dings / dents / cracks etc...Now there are not even any scratches! Frame is aligned and straight. ready for a great fixie or road build...

Get the entire frameset (with the new Carbon Fork painted the same color) for the cost of the paint job!

Seat Tube = 57cm
Top Tube = 57cm

This is what the Original Bike Frame looked like

Old 02-25-10, 03:09 PM
tugrul

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
I'll defend myself here.
I'm not sure what you have to defend. You put yourself at a disadvantage in price negotiations in an attempt to get first dibs at it. The seller could have operated in your half of the field if he felt like it, but he chose not to.
Old 02-25-10, 03:10 PM
tugrul

Originally Posted by rat fink
Some idiot drewed a Lemond Zurich frameset in my size.
Drewed? Doesn't look like anything has been hacked off.
Old 02-25-10, 03:19 PM
rat fink
Iconoclast

Bikes: Colnago Super, Fuji Opus III, Specialized Rockhopper, Specialized Sirrus (road)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tugrul
Drewed? Doesn't look like anything has been hacked off.
Other than it's dignity. Beside that, where is the fork?
Old 02-25-10, 03:24 PM
khatfull
FBoD Member at Large

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by tugrul
I'm not sure what you have to defend. You put yourself at a disadvantage in price negotiations in an attempt to get first dibs at it. The seller could have operated in your half of the field if he felt like it, but he chose not to.
I don't know. I'd agree with i-timy, if offering over the asking price was solely a ploy to get in first then yeah, that'd probably be a "toolbag move". That really, honestly, wasn't my intention but from the way I described it yes, I can see one coming away with that perception. I just wanted to work on the bike.

The seller was an exceedingly nice guy and if he is watching my offer still stands. I felt like my reduced offer was made in good faith, for a valid reason, and accepted as such. If he feels differently he knows how to get hold of me and I'd be happy to follow through with my offer.
Old 02-25-10, 03:47 PM
tugrul

Purple Bianchi? ($95 BIN) My size, just not what I'm looking for right now.

Nice Bianchi frame, seat tube 61cm center to center, top tube 60cm center to center, if you need more measurements just ask. Been stored for years, few scratches and rust spots weighs 8lbs 1.5oz as shown headset is Shimano 600, bottom bracket is Shimano 36 x 24T threads. Also comes with the two matching bottle cages shown. I don't know the age of this, maybe from the 70's or 80's serial no. should be visible in the last photo if that helps. Columbus tubing and also comes with the Dura-Ace levers shown. The previous owner applied the red reflector tape shown in the photos, please look carefully at all the photos and ask questions prior to bidding, if you take the red tape off and clean this frame up it would look pretty sharp. Flat rate shipping in the 48 states of $35.00
Old 02-25-10, 04:17 PM
rat fink
Iconoclast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's just not right that this hasn't sold yet...

https://bakersfield.craigslist.org/bik/1616810082.html

1980 Stella Professional Road Bicycle, Columbus tubing with braze-ons, Campagnolo Nuevo Record brake set, shifters (downtube), deraillers, and chain ring/crank set, Phil Wood bottom bracket, Cinelli stem, Shimano clipless pedals, Rigida rims, 6 speed cluster, bullseye idler wheels
Paint is scratched in places.

Old 02-25-10, 04:26 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2938 Post(s)
Liked 2,934 Times in 1,497 Posts
that is actually a Metallic Violet '86 Limited. but a huge one

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 02-25-10, 04:29 PM
rat fink
Iconoclast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I might just go with the simple alloy Zefal...alloy is safe :-)

Had I looked closer I could have guesses the 58 was small for you...the stem is fairly elevated. That that one of those extra tall Nitto stems?

As far as the other thing...I'll try to avoid that. My wife is used to my goofyass stuff. As long as it's not horribly expensive I can usually get by. She let me drive from MN to IL to buy a used pair of Acoustic Research TSW-910 speakers (Google that ) that I had to refoam all the drivers on...so goofiness isn't outside the realm for me
Oooh nice! I don't know what your medium is, but I leaped at a chance to buy a Pioneer PL-530 and a Garrard Lab 80 for $20 at an antiques store two days ago... when I was technically 'broke'.
Old 02-25-10, 04:33 PM
EjustE
sultan of schwinn

Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
and the fork is bent
Old 02-25-10, 04:34 PM
slushlover2

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
quad cities craigslist > for sale / wanted > bicycles please flag with care:

miscategorized
prohibited
spam/overpost
best of craigslist

Avoid scams and fraud by dealing locally! Beware any deal involving Western Union, Moneygram, wire transfer, cashier check, money order, shipping, escrow, or any promise of transaction protection/certification/guarantee. More info
1989 Trek 520 Road Bike 22.5 - $200 (Moline)

Date: 2010-02-25, 12:58PM CST
Reply to: sale-6a7v8-1617554382@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

1989 Trek USA 520 Road Bike with New Tires! Great Condition, though a little dirty. I love this bike, and I hate to give it up, but I am moving and don't need it.

Trek's ultimate long distance touring bike features a stable and comfortable frame geometry and a full set of braze-ons for touring.

Shimano components include:

1. Wide range 21 speed drive train with indexed shifting

2. Deore II derailleurs and 105 shift levers

3. Shimano Deore II cantilever brakes with SLR

Additional features:

2. Blackburn rear rack

3. Vetta Gel saddle

Improvements for 1989:

Shimano 105 cassette hub system

Shimano Deore II crankset

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 1617554382

I can help with this if you'd like.
Old 02-25-10, 04:35 PM
khatfull
FBoD Member at Large

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Oooh nice! I don't know what your medium is, but I leaped at a chance to buy a Pioneer PL-530 and a Garrard Lab 80 for $20 at an antiques store two days ago... when I was technically 'broke'.
CD. My rack is all Cambridge Audio (not Cambridge Sound Works) from the UK, the TSWs are bi-amped and can nearly, literally, bring the house down. If you're familiar with Billy Thorpe's Children of the Sun...that's one of my favorites to rattle dishes around upstairs in the kitchen cabinets. For pure bass demo I use James Taylor's Gaia...'bout the last quarter of the song there's some timpanis that I swear get down below 25-30hz...to the feel and maybe hear area.
Old 02-25-10, 04:43 PM
Oregon Southpaw
Larger Chainring

Bikes: 1988 Schwinn Circuit. Bike-Boom-Puegeot. First "real bike" Trek 720 Hybrid in gross disrepair.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Other than it's dignity. Beside that, where is the fork?
Something is sketch with this sale.

Originally Posted by EjustE
and the fork is bent
Was going to post that.

I heard there is a new subforum, and I got a sneak peek of it. Check it out:

Last edited by Oregon Southpaw; 02-25-10 at 05:19 PM.
Old 02-25-10, 04:43 PM
P4D 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by EjustE
and the fork is bent
Is it me, or are there weld marks on the top tub just past the lug and the downtube just down from the lug?
Old 02-25-10, 05:31 PM
senisbs
59 cm Member :)

Bikes: 1974 Gitane CdM, 1984 Miyata 710, 2002 Raleigh Pro (SS), 2006 Sycip Touring Roadster

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
My size! Those stickers in the worst possible spots. Covering more deep rust? Anybody in LA can check this in person?
Old 02-25-10, 05:36 PM
DVC45

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
700C mans Nishiki 14 speed road racer - $250 (St. Charles)

Date: 2010-02-25, 4:22PM CST
Reply to: sale-ztsxw-1617912540@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

https://stlouis.craigslist.org/bik/1617912540.html

Mans Nishiki Prestige road racer has 700C tires, Araya aluminum wheels that are quick release front and rear, 14 speeds with Suntour Accushift shift levers that are frame mounted, Suntour Edge derailers, Suntour 3 piece aluminum crank with aluminum pedals with sturips, Suntour Edge quick release brakes, good handle bar padding, Vetta Gel seat on an aluminum seat post, Champion aluminum handle bars, a 30" standover height and a 19 1/2 frame. The frame is 4130 chromoly steel, this is a nice, clean, light weight, high quality racer.

Call 636 447 3252, call before you come out. 636-447-3252 If you are reading this ad I still have the item, I will delete this ad as soon as it sells, thanks.

Click on web page below for directions to my house, put your address in the first box, mine is already in the second box, then click on get directions. https://www.mapquest.com/directions?f...&2g=-90.615745

My address is 4645 Onondaga Trail, Saint Charles, MO, 63304.

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
Old 02-25-10, 05:51 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 730 Times in 353 Posts
RRB on ebay. Its Rons noncustom frame. Nice bikes.
https://cgi.ebay.com/RRB-CYCLE-CUSTOM...item2559016016
Old 02-25-10, 06:38 PM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
The forks straight.....I think.
Old 02-25-10, 06:48 PM
khatfull
FBoD Member at Large

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I don't know. I'd agree with i-timy, if offering over the asking price was solely a ploy to get in first then yeah, that'd probably be a "toolbag move". That really, honestly, wasn't my intention but from the way I described it yes, I can see one coming away with that perception. I just wanted to work on the bike.

The seller was an exceedingly nice guy and if he is watching my offer still stands. I felt like my reduced offer was made in good faith, for a valid reason, and accepted as such. If he feels differently he knows how to get hold of me and I'd be happy to follow through with my offer.
Just FYI, the seller and I resolved the situation to our mutual satisfaction. Life lesson learned for me, no hard feelings on his part. Karma restored Oh, crap, I forget, the car is still $4800 worth of broke Off to mix an adult beverage
Old 02-25-10, 06:50 PM
scale

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
how about this guy:

not mine but sure wish it fit me

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ra...617927327.html

Bianchi "Superset II" road bike, vintage (Greg LeMond era, approx. 1986) in great shape and it rides nice! It has the Shimano 105 set, headset and PD6401 clip-in pedals, Araya CT-19N rims, aero bars and an Avocet 30 computer (that needs a battery). 58cm, 14 gears, 13-23 cluster rear. Really cool though semi-functional original Bianchi frame pump and water bottle. I'll throw in the shoes, if they don't fit at least you get the clips. The trainer is also for sale for another $75. It's a Minoura Super Mag Turbo. Regrettably I just don't use either one anymore. Own a cool piece of history in the original one and only Bianchi green!
Old 02-25-10, 07:16 PM
BobHufford
Keeper of the SLDB

Bikes: '75 Schwinn Paramount P-10, '86 Ritchey Commando, '87 Schwinn Cimarron, '91 Trek 990, '87 Schwinn High Sierra, '73 Schwinn Super Sport, '4? Schwinn New World, '76 Swing Bike.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by miamijim
The forks straight.....I think.
I think the fork tubing decal is crooked ... and the glow from the reflective tape makes it look distorted. Love the color!

Bob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.