Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Did you ride today?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Did you ride today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-13, 04:01 PM
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts
We got in just 13 miles with rain on the way. In fact it just started while putting the bikes on the rack for the trip home. Seems winter is finally back to North Central Florida. With the front moving though the warmest and nicest part of the day was while riding between 8 and 9 this am. Now windy and cold... by FL standards that is.
Old 01-17-13, 05:21 PM
Old Sarge

Bikes: Specialized Expedition Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was a nice day today but chores kept me inside for much of it. Wife stole my truck to carry some stuff to grand-daughter/great-grand kids in Oklahoma so I had to ride the trails close to me. Bad timing in my part, just as school let out, so rather than fight that traffic I just rode the short trail around and around and around and then reverse for more of the same. Did 6.7 miles today then did a sick visit for the church. Try to get back up to eight or nine miles.
Old 01-17-13, 05:38 PM
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Old Sarge
It was a nice day today but chores kept me inside for much of it. Wife stole my truck to carry some stuff to grand-daughter/great-grand kids in Oklahoma so I had to ride the trails close to me. Bad timing in my part, just as school let out, so rather than fight that traffic I just rode the short trail around and around and around and then reverse for more of the same. Did 6.7 miles today then did a sick visit for the church. Try to get back up to eight or nine miles.
Old 01-18-13, 12:14 AM
vschippy

Bikes: CAAD 10/Avanti Cadent ER11 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad I got 30ks in early today ,record high temps today down in AUS 45c or 115f
Was a scorcher
Old 01-18-13, 06:48 AM
Bikey Mikey

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
60 min on a trainer.
Old 01-18-13, 06:53 AM
rdtompki

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Copied over from Clyde sub-forum. Tough weather conditions in Northern California, but I gutted out the 55-65 deg. temperatures. I wish I had a GoPro to capture the condition of the road, therefore accounting for the slow downhill speeds. I surprised myself by climbing reasonably well despite not having ridden much this month, but the last 3 miles of climb, left undone, is an absolute killer.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A timely call from work interrupted this ride 1000' and 3 miles short of the top. It's a nice climb, but the descent stinks due to the very poor condition of the road. I turned around at a false top overlooking a small valley.

Lone Tree (almost)

Old 01-18-13, 11:32 AM
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts
OK, it's official, we are no longer "Mainers". After moving to FL for the past 2 years our blood has thinned to Florida standards. With a 30 degree drop in overall temps today, in the 40's, we were only able to ride 11 miles. TOO COLD. However, we did make it to the local fruit stand and purchased a couple pints of fresh Floral City strawberries.
Old 01-18-13, 11:48 AM
johnnyboy1

Bikes: 1985 Raleigh Portage

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
12F this morning, 1" snow overnight- had to get my haircut, so only 11 miles round trip. Fantastic ride!
Old 01-18-13, 03:26 PM
Bikey Mikey

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey
60 min on a trainer.
+22 miles on the road this afternoon.
Old 01-18-13, 05:05 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Got out this morning for a chilly and very windy 19 mile short ride. Charity ride tomorrow morning. I hope the weather behaves.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 01-18-13, 05:41 PM
Old Sarge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today was a beautiful day to ride. About 55f. Did 9.8 miles according to Strava, a touch over 10 by my computer. Tomorrow at 2 p.m. I am going to ride with a young couple that are close friends, just like my own kids. Looking forward to riding with friends for the first time.
Old 01-18-13, 06:09 PM
momsonherbike

Bikes: All mine are electric bikes now

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts
9.6 miles around Key West, and up Duval Street with the GoPro recording. My sister and I had a blast! Home to piña coladas, and the fun of cracking open the two coconuts we bought enroute.
Old 01-18-13, 06:51 PM
chinkroadrunner

Bikes: 2014 Spec Roubaix SL4 Expert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It has warmed to the low 50's, 10 mph winds. Got in 24 miles yesterday and 50 miles today. Plan to get in a 30 mile ride tomorrow. Best weather of the year so far.
Old 01-18-13, 06:54 PM
lostforawhile

Bikes: 1972 Schwinn super sport, heavy no name each cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
about 7 miles on the trail, then back to downtown to the square, then a couple of miles down ist to the local Christian book store/hobby shop who also sells name brand bike parts, then back up fifth and up heart attack hill, then back to the house. There is something about an antique yellow Schwinn that makes people everywhere stop and ask questions about it. The wind has been horrible the past couple of days, yesterday we were under a wind advisory, blowing like crazy and cold. You know it's bad when it wants to try and blow your bike over while riding
Old 01-18-13, 08:25 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
8 miles this evening after work. Upper 30's. Supposed to be warmer but windy Saturday, then temp starts going down on Sunday (but sunny!). Mon/Tues will be Cold.
Old 01-19-13, 12:17 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
A few pics from today's ride: Pizza for lunch at Zio Carlo's. I love their pizza.

This is a painting at Zio Carlo's. This painting is like a train wreck. You want to look away but you can't. That's okay, the more you look, the more hilarious it gets.

You probably can't get the full effect of the painting from the image above, so I uploaded a much larger version here. I suggest viewing it full size so you can see the detail, start from the bottom and work your way up. Note, for instance, what the dancer in the front is holding in her extended hand.

Painted at a random intersection in Fort Worth's Near Southside:

My ride for the day- the 1983 Raleigh Super Course.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 01-19-13, 05:47 AM
Bikey Mikey

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
After riding yesterday afternoon, I saw there would be several areas that would be dangerously icy this AM(upper 20s)--so, I did 60 minutes on the trainer since I will be out of town in the afternoon and wouldn't be able to ride on the roads at that time.

Doohickie, that is one funny yet disturbing painting.
Old 01-19-13, 12:47 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Rode a 38 mile charity ride this morning. Started off really nice with little to no winds but it didn't stay that way for very long. Winds across the strawberry fields (and there's a lot of them) coming out of the north were killing us. And my sinuses running like a faucet didn't help matters. Some of the roads we had to take was like riding a road bike on a dirt trail. Needless to say, not many people were doing speed rides.

Had a female cyclist in the ride get hit by a dump truck, about a half a mile ahead of me. It appears she was riding in a group and her front tire hit the rear tire of the rider in front of her, dumping her and her bike in front of a dump truck going in the opposite direction. The truck destroyed her bike, but I don't think it hit her (or didn't hit her very hard) from the position she was in when I got there. I think she hit the ground and her bike skidded out in front of her and that's when the dump truck ran over it. Good thing he wasn't going very fast and was able to stop. I'm not sure of the extent of her injuries, but I really hope she is OK. I was going to offer my assistance, but there was already another firefighter and an RN with her.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 01-19-13, 01:18 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Originally Posted by Doohickie
A few pics from today's ride: Pizza for lunch at Zio Carlo's. I love their pizza.

This is a painting at Zio Carlo's. This painting is like a train wreck. You want to look away but you can't. That's okay, the more you look, the more hilarious it gets.

You probably can't get the full effect of the painting from the image above, so I uploaded a much larger version here. I suggest viewing it full size so you can see the detail, start from the bottom and work your way up. Note, for instance, what the dancer in the front is holding in her extended hand.

Painted at a random intersection in Fort Worth's Near Southside:
That is some Fine Art. The dentures in a glass are a nice touch.
Old 01-19-13, 01:20 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

19 miles today: Sunny, upper 40's, breezy/windy but not the kind of wind that makes you wonder if you're gonna get blown off the road.
Old 01-19-13, 03:10 PM
Old Sarge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The couple I was going to ride with didn't both make it, only the wife who is just like my own daughter. She hadn't ridden in a while and that slowed me down some. Then about 2.5 miles into the ride she got called away to photograph a structure fire (she and her husband photograph fires for our local fire department). So I finished up alone. Did 8.5 miles but it took a little longer than usual.
Old 01-19-13, 04:52 PM
John C. Ratliff

Bikes: Rans Stratus, Trek 1420, Rivendell Rambouillet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode 13 miles today on my Rans Stratus recumbant. 'Had a great ride through a park, and was able to stop beside a beaver chewing on clover. I was able to get several photos, which I'll post when I get them downloaded later this weekend. We had freezing fog this morning, so I did some chores around the house and waited until about 11:00 to get out, which made the ride possible.

Because of the air inversions, I wore a half-face respirator with a HEPA filter on it. There are reports of fairly high amounts of wood smoke particles in the air now, so I used the respirator for protection from those very fine particles. It worked well; I haven't done that for several years, but do carry the respirator on my bike just in case I feel it would be beneficial. Today, you could "see" the air, a blue haze between me and the Portland hills.

So far, 90.3 miles this month, but we've had a lot of very cold weather. My wife and I have a Schwinn Airdyne, and a recumbant trainer too. I have about 50 miles on those, plus many long walks with my wife, so I've had a pretty good month for exercise.

John

Last edited by John C. Ratliff; 01-19-13 at 05:07 PM.
Old 01-19-13, 05:04 PM
sotramk

Bikes: Trek 1100

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
out twice today, 1hr in 25/30 mph winds and a 1/2 hr round trip to the store. Total distance today -- 8 miles, lol
Old 01-19-13, 06:10 PM
Mort Canard

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
24 rural miles today at a nice 63 degrees. Felt like I was trying to work the cobwebs out of my legs. The bicycle computer seemed to agree. Still it was good to get out.
Old 01-19-13, 06:21 PM
bjjoondo 

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
23 miles with the Mrs. a stop at the LBS to have a 48/36/26 trekking crankset installed on her secondary bike, (had 42/32/22), we've found we don't really need that low of gearing and the 48 th. CW is nice when having to try to keep the pace with the Club riders on road bikes! 50F, sunny but a pretty CHILLY breeze came in after we stopped for lunch so we kicked it up a bit on the way home!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.