Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

10 Different Routes Challenge

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-16, 08:59 AM
cbike

Bikes: Surly LHT (weekend ride & touring), GT Outpost (commuting), Brompton M6R (Weekend tours that involve flying), Co-Motion Periscope Torpedo (family weekend ride & touring)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Without really verifying that it's possible, I pledged to commute by bicycle to work and back using 10 significantly different routes. The ultimate goal is to do this within a week. You are welcome to join me in this ridiculous challenge and tell us how it's going for you here or tweet using #10diffRoutes .

First route done. That was easy.
Old 09-26-16, 09:04 AM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think there are enough roads for me to do 10 different routes all around the same distance. I could do it if I extended my commute by a bunch, but I'd much rather ride one of my more fun bikes if I'm going to be riding long distance.

I need to head north and west to get home from work. There are only 3 roads that go north between work and home unless I head in the opposite direction first.
Old 09-26-16, 09:26 AM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts
living within a dense city street grid, there are an uncountable number of possible routes for me to take; i still take the same route everyday because i'm a creature of routine and habit.
Old 09-26-16, 10:00 AM
cbike

Bikes: Surly LHT (weekend ride & touring), GT Outpost (commuting), Brompton M6R (Weekend tours that involve flying), Co-Motion Periscope Torpedo (family weekend ride & touring)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Steely Dan
living within a dense city street grid, there are an uncountable number of possible routes for me to take; i still take the same route everyday because i'm a creature of routine and habit.
Same here, I optimized my normal commute to be short, minimal hills, and away from traffic. But you'd are in an optimal situation to spice up your commute.

Originally Posted by corrado33
I don't think there are enough roads for me to do 10 different routes all around the same distance. I could do it if I extended my commute by a bunch, but I'd much rather ride one of my more fun bikes if I'm going to be riding long distance.

I need to head north and west to get home from work. There are only 3 roads that go north between work and home unless I head in the opposite direction first.
It's a challenge, so it's not supposed to be simple. I expect some of my 3.5 mile rides to be a bit longer, but I also need still to meet my obligations of dropping off/picking up kids from school and after school activities.

If you want to do something like that maybe you just accept that these three roads needed to be part of multiple routes and make other sections unique. Or you could do a totally different challenge like riding with different colored sock the next 10 days.

Keep in mind it's all for fun and totally optional.
Old 09-26-16, 10:09 AM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by cbike
Same here, I optimized my normal commute to be short, minimal hills, and away from traffic. But you'd are in an optimal situation to spice up your commute.
yeah, if i didn't have my two little ones to tend to, i'd probably try to spice up my commute more often.

raising a 2 year old and a 7 month old means that time is in extremely short supply for me these days.

so i have a route that balances directness and safety as best as they can be, and then i ride it everyday.
Old 09-26-16, 11:54 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,433 Times in 2,540 Posts
Wow, I'm not sure I could think of 10 different routes. I can think of 3 alternates that probably at least double the distance, of course if I multiply the distance even more there are unlimited alternates, but that's not really a 'route to work' or 'route to home', it's going out of my way to have a long bike ride.

Does it count if for a few hundred yards I take a gravel jogging path which is about 6ft to the right of the bike lane I usually ride?
Old 09-26-16, 12:03 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
I could probably come up with ten variants, but there's no way I could make ten significantly different routes. Most sections of the ride, there are only two or three options, of which only one or two makes any sense at all. But you know, that's my commute. If I had a lot of options, I would definitely mix things up a bit. So I give your project a big thumbs up but don't look at me.
Old 09-26-16, 12:25 PM
nitroRoo

Bikes: Gary Fisher Cake 3dlx, GT Force

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have probably ridden 10 different routes to and from work. The only thing I can't avoid is there's a lake/river to cross. There are two bridges, so I'm always going to cross at one of those two, although the bridge further north necessitates a 25 mile plus minimum one way ride. Once I'm across my usual bridge though I have lots of different surface streets I can take, some with some KILLER hills.
Old 09-26-16, 12:33 PM
nitroRoo

Bikes: Gary Fisher Cake 3dlx, GT Force

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's a heat map of my area from Strava. Makes it kind of interesting to see what routes I take the most. I work in the southern part of the map near Manchester Meadows Park and I live just north of the state line near the lake (you can probably tell what road I live down due to all the pink).

Old 09-26-16, 01:22 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7351 Post(s)
Liked 2,478 Times in 1,439 Posts
All alternates to the route I normally take are much, much worse than my normal one. They have busy streets with heavy traffic and impatient drivers. The noise level is high, and the air quality is poor. There are many lights on those alternates, and there are very few on my regular route.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-26-16, 02:57 PM
rfmarotti

Bikes: 2015 Redline Conquest Elite; 2014 Fuji Tahoe 1.1 27.5er; 2006 Scott Speedster S30 (sold); 2001 Specialized S-Works CX; 1990 Trek 750 (sold); 1999 Bianchi Volpe; 1988 Bianchi Campione D'Italia.

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
all alternates to the route i normally take are much, much worse than my normal one. They have busy streets with heavy traffic and impatient drivers. The noise level is high, and the air quality is poor. There are many lights on those alternates, and there are very few on my regular route.
+1
Old 09-26-16, 03:51 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
My route has two major variants... one requires a MTB. Other than that, it's just adding distance and not getting any more pleasant.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 09-26-16, 07:05 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
I used to take a different route to work on a daily basis, with some common stretches, but then I just got too lazy to think about it, so now I just resort to the same old route with minimal traffic and shortest distance. It's another thing I don't have to think about. There are enough things to think about without worrying about my route--lights, clothes, lights, food, lights, and more lights.

But more power to you, if it helps keep you motivated. All the best.
Old 09-26-16, 08:05 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), Yess World Cup race BMX, Pure Cruiser race BMX, RSD Mayor v3 Fatbike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 190 Times in 132 Posts
I probably could do this, but it would require a little thought - There's always going to be some overlap, but with my normal 3-4 routes ranging from 17-20km, I'm pretty sure I could do it.

Today, for instance, the ~8km closest to work was completely different, but the rest was about the same (both ways were 18-19km today). I recently mapped out a route with the cleared winter routes map from one of the cycling groups here in town, and there're definitely a couple other routes that aren't just looping around for no reason. I am limited by 2-4 sensible (non-death wish) routes north past the highway, and there are only 4 bridges to choose from (major river to cross).

Interesting exercise - might find some new options that work out, too. Friday afternoon I tried a new route for the first time, and I think it may become my go-to.
Old 09-26-16, 08:12 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by cbike
Without really verifying that it's possible, I pledged to commute by bicycle to work and back using 10 significantly different routes. The ultimate goal is to do this within a week. You are welcome to join me in this ridiculous challenge and tell us how it's going for you here or tweet using #10diffRoutes .

First route done. That was easy.

Been there... done that. I vary my route to not get bored. I think it is a good thing to do all of the time. Good luck!
Old 09-26-16, 08:14 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
The end points of my routes are often fixed. But, I have a middle section that goes through a section of city about 20 blocks wide and 42 blocks long.

I usually like to add an open loop in the middle of my RT ride. But, will mix it up a bit. Maybe 3 or 4 main routes through town, but I'll occasionally do something like a stair-step diagonal through town.

1/4 mile from my house, I could, in fact, make a big loop, and enter the city from a different direction, but that road is just miserably busy, so I avoid it like the plague.

Sometimes I'll add a couple of extra hills in if I'm headed out to Mom's house, and I suppose I could change my route to hit them from either direction.

So, 10 routes? Maybe, but mostly variations of the same.
Old 09-26-16, 08:21 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
You don't always have to have boring routes either...
https://www.bikeforums.net/general-cy...-drawings.html

I had fun with this one.

Old 09-27-16, 08:00 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7351 Post(s)
Liked 2,478 Times in 1,439 Posts
Uh, how did you do that?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-27-16, 10:12 AM
dougcornelius

Bikes: Beater commuter; BMC Teammachine

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Challenge met and exceeded.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/7461...2847/-71.10592
Old 09-27-16, 10:38 AM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I learned my current route after a lot of experimenting with routes. I found a great one. No point in going back to the bad choices so I can meet a challenge.
Old 09-27-16, 11:37 AM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I can come up with a few mildly different routes, but certainly not 10, and not 10 vastly different routes. The bulk of it will still have to be on the one road that goes from my part of town into the city that has a bike lane. I have or 3 options to get to that road, but they also all end up on the same connecting road. The only way to really change it up is to run our club ride backwards going from home into work, or normally going the opposite direction, but I would rather ride that route on my road bike.
Old 09-27-16, 12:45 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
I was poking around with routes.

My normal route to work is 5.3 miles. It's about 1 mile of residential, 1 mile of minor artery, 1 mile of dirt road, and 2 miles of bike path along a lake. It has a couple of climbs up bridge footings and a pedestrian overpass, 75 ft up total, but it's overall downhill. Reversed, it has about 190ft of climbing. Google doesn't give this much credit but my bum ticker and how it feels in the afternoon makes it a solid 5 minutes longer, maybe more.

Just for fun I plotted another route... on the other side of the lake. This one is almost entirely on a major artery roads (Greenback and Folsom), no bike path. It's steady downhill overall. Google Maps says it's 1.1 miles longer but estimates about the same ride time. In the morning, because it's clockwise around the lake, it's nearly unobstructed. There's one dangerous spot where the route would cross an onramp if I stayed on the road, or would add some elevation and distance if I moved onto the MUP. In the afternoon, ccw, it would not be suitable due to many large intersections. I'll have to give it a try if I'm ever able to ride a bike again.
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 09-27-16 at 12:48 PM.
Old 09-27-16, 04:34 PM
cbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's looking good so far.

Old 10-03-16, 07:36 AM
cbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I finished the challenge last week. Quite the variety or routes. Some out of the way ones, some gravel road, some rec path that wiggles all across, plenty of narrow roads with no shoulders, bridges, tunnels, ... Photos are on the 10diffRoutes Twitter stream.

Now it's your turn.

Old 10-04-16, 07:40 AM
dougcornelius

Bikes: Beater commuter; BMC Teammachine

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a bit more obsessive. I see those unmarked roads in between the routes and want to color them all in.

Commuting my way through the streets of Boston, all the streets of Boston.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.