Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

NY Times article on commuters dressing for work

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

NY Times article on commuters dressing for work

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-17, 10:02 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7350 Post(s)
Liked 2,475 Times in 1,438 Posts
Plus if we didn't have to be professional about it, there is a woman at work who, I suspect, likes the way I look, and the feeling is mutual, but I don't think we'll be talking about it. It's cool.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-06-17, 10:24 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Originally Posted by TimothyH
It is literally no big deal.
But it does mean that people need to think about it and work out an individual system for themselves. I've got a handle on my system because I developed it over time. Our solutions are all different, but maybe it helps to see how we each think. I have a lot of gear to keep track of.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 10-06-17, 10:48 AM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
These are all really great points from experienced commuters.

After a while we figure out what works, the infantile snickering stops and everyone goes about their work day.

Attitudes quickly change when they realize that you are no joke, and that you will commute on a really hot day, or cold, or in the rain or a blizzard. Several times I have walked in to work, and gotten the look, and they start in with "did you..." and I don't let them finish. I just say "yep" and keep walking. The look of disbelief is often worth the suffering of the temps or whatever.

I choose to carry myself differently when I ride in. Walking in with a full plate of confidence and energy often will negate the comments and looks that one can receive. You do get looks, some bad, and some good as mentioned above. Never had a complaint that what I was wearing was too revealing, and honestly, I look pretty damn good in a set of bibs and a nice jersey.
Old 10-06-17, 10:53 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

I don't get any of those looks. Maybe it's because this is New York? Weird is normal. Bike commuting is normal. Everything is normal.

Old 10-06-17, 10:57 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
If I had a short five km commute I'd ditch the spandex too and go with an upright. But the longer your commute the more specialized you have to become, mainly because you don't want to spend half your day on the road.
Old 10-06-17, 11:09 AM
phx1973

Bikes: 2019 Giant Contend 3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I like riding fast. I use my commute as a daily workout. One does not need to do this, but I just like it. I used to ride in regular clothes, but now I wear cycling clothes. At work, I like to say I'm changing from my Superman costume to my Clark Kent costume.

This winter, I'm not sure what I'll do. I'll see as time and weather progress.
This is exactly how I feel. I don't always treat my bike commute as a workout. But today I really put the hammer down and it felt great. Was very thankful for a clean set of clothes when I got to the office. One other day this week I rode in khaki's and polo...that was great too in the sense that I just got right to work. I guess I'm not all that consistent. Haha.
Old 10-06-17, 11:56 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Exactly, and some on the bike path may smirk at us "cat 6 commuters," but they may not know how far we go. I thought one guy in a super racer outfit was a bit much, but then I learned he commutes from Brooklyn to Westchester county, perhaps 35 or 40 miles each way, over a huge variety of terrain.

Old 10-06-17, 03:12 PM
liampboyle

Bikes: 2007 Kona Caldera

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Still figuring out my commute wardrobe here. I've been doing bike short liners under my work pants and T-shirts mainly, occasionally on cooler days just my office clothes, but I'm thinking I may want to start investing in more cycling specific stuff. I just wish it wasn't quite so expensive.
Old 10-06-17, 05:21 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
Originally Posted by liampboyle
Still figuring out my commute wardrobe here. I've been doing bike short liners under my work pants and T-shirts mainly, occasionally on cooler days just my office clothes, but I'm thinking I may want to start investing in more cycling specific stuff. I just wish it wasn't quite so expensive.
If you buy your bike clothes at you LBS, yes very expensive. But you can get stuff off of eBay or Amazon, or stuff from Nashbar/Performance and it's not too bad.

You've probably also figured out that commuting by bike takes a lot more planning than other modes of commute.
Old 10-06-17, 05:59 PM
liampboyle

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
If you buy your bike clothes at you LBS, yes very expensive. But you can get stuff off of eBay or Amazon, or stuff from Nashbar/Performance and it's not too bad.

You've probably also figured out that commuting by bike takes a lot more planning than other modes of commute.
I've belonged to the school of "broke and this is my only way to get to work" school of bike commuting for a fairly long time.
Old 10-06-17, 06:27 PM
VRC

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Yeah that's cool. If I lived about half as far from work I'd be one of those ladies who bikes in a skirt. But it's not, so it's a good workout so I change at work. I bring in a few outfits on car days.
Old 10-07-17, 10:40 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
These are all really great points from experienced commuters.

After a while we figure out what works, the infantile snickering stops and everyone goes about their work day.

That's what happened with me, especially as I got fitter.
Old 10-07-17, 12:48 PM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Every now and a gain I will wear normal clothes, and then remember why cycling specific clothes are far superior for an 11 mile commute in south carolina. I have a shower at work, and everyone but 3 people work upstairs. Hardly anyone ever sees me until I am cleaned up...though the accountant, she can stare of she wants.

We only have about 15 people who work in our office on a full day. Everyone knows I cycle.

In the summer I'll even sweat on a 1 mile ride on an upright bike as I go do thing like get my hair cut or ride to lunch. There is no "staying slow and cool" here. Wear what you want
Old 10-07-17, 02:47 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
My boss bought a bike hanger for my work area, so I think he knows that a few of us ride.
Old 10-07-17, 04:49 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
I wear cycling specific clothing for my commute, but no spandex. Most of my stuff is poly but I have a few wool pieces. I wear poly knickers or shorts, poly liner shorts, poly tops in layers and poly socks with my Pearl Izumi shoes. A convertible vest/jacket as a top layer.

It's not an either/or proposition. There's plenty of good athletic wear without spandex. There should be an age and shape requirement for spandex and I sure as heck don't meet it. As a courtesy to all, I wear comfortable performance clothing that's easy on the eyes.

- Kedosto
Old 10-08-17, 11:05 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
One thing I found was that I got some ribbing about whether I was going to wear "those tight bike shorts" when I started commuting. I didn't wear them, but by the time winter came around no one said a word when I wore tights. I'm not sure what the longer legs would have to do with being less likely to cause me to get kidded about wearing them, but the only comments I got about how I was dressed was wondering how I was going to stay warm during the trip.
Old 10-08-17, 11:45 AM
vol

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
And he once forgot to bring his work clothes, which meant he had to buy an outfit before starting his day.
How many would go and buy new outfit in that situation?
Old 10-08-17, 04:38 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by vol
How many would go and buy new outfit in that situation?
I'm sure it's easier to do in Midtown Manhattan than here in the burbs. I dont't think it would save me time vs. going home for them.

The other guy sounds like a ******, daring his office mates not to indulge him.
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 10-08-17 at 04:42 PM.
Old 10-08-17, 05:44 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
I wear my padded spandex road shorts, and cool-max type shirts from Target, socks and my running shoes. I tried riding in jeans on a casual Friday once and regretted it as I have a 10 mile commute each way so it is just a little too far to just wear the street clothes. I change at work where I wash myself down, but no shower. And like a few others on this thread I commute in NYC. I try to take it easy on the way in, but the Manhattan Bridge is a climb and I end up sweaty no matter how easy I try to do it. On the way home I ride as hard as I feel. It is only 10 miles but it still takes an hour no matter how I ride it. People in the office know I commute sometimes, and it is always funny to see the ones that don't necessarily know in the lobby as I lock my bike up there. I always warn people away if they come to talk. Most know better.

As it gets colder, if it ever gets colder this year, I'll start adding leg warmers and a light jacket. When it gets really cold I just keep adding layers, but I'm not a die hard so once it gets too cold I'm done.

Last edited by zacster; 10-08-17 at 05:50 PM.
Old 10-08-17, 06:20 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Yeah, I have some commuter Levi's but I only wear them to ride during the cool mornings half the year, and coldest evenings for only Dec-Feb-ish
Old 10-09-17, 07:34 AM
liampboyle

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Yeah, I have some commuter Levi's but I only wear them to ride during the cool mornings half the year, and coldest evenings for only Dec-Feb-ish
How much do those run? I'm still not sure what I'm doing for winter. In my older days of bike commuting on Walmart specials, I just wore work clothes, but in those days I worked in warehouses and factories so we all stank and it wasn't much of an issue. Since I work in an office these days, I'm expected to maintain more of that "professional" type appearance. (Which of course gets lost with the long hair and beard )
Old 10-09-17, 01:58 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

I don't remember. Macy's not Penny's prices. I have three pair and though they're all the same listed size the feel of the fabric and the fit is pretty variable between the colors. Try them in person if you can, they are a close fit. I started with a pair that fit and ordered two more, got one tighter but softer and stretchier, and one looser but coarser.
Old 10-09-17, 03:06 PM
liampboyle

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Darn, I can sometimes afford Penny's prices, but I'm generally stuck with Walmart clearance rack prices as what I'm able to budget. Working on letting the wife give me more of a bike gear budget though
Old 10-10-17, 01:28 PM
cbike

Bikes: Surly LHT (weekend ride & touring), GT Outpost (commuting), Brompton M6R (Weekend tours that involve flying), Co-Motion Periscope Torpedo (family weekend ride & touring)

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I dislike article like that. The only half way decent advise is "you don’t have to ride fast".

Ride your bike, wear your cloths, and don't imitate others.
Old 10-10-17, 02:27 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
There's more to cycling than riding fast.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.