Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Reelight: The ugly truth

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-17, 12:56 PM
cbike

Bikes: Surly LHT (weekend ride & touring), GT Outpost (commuting), Brompton M6R (Weekend tours that involve flying), Co-Motion Periscope Torpedo (family weekend ride & touring)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Relight proudly advertises 2 years warranty for their products however this warranty is not given. Seeing that their products don't last long and are non-repairable (shell is glued together so that there is no way to open it without breaking) I'd strongly advise lower cost lights from china or some a totally different solution.

"Unfortunately, we can not help you here at Reelight even if I wanted. This is because it is amazon.com, who has the responsibility for the products they sell. Therefore, I suggest that you check their warranty policy for information on what to do "

Of course Amazon doesn't warranty any product and it's the manufacturer's responsibility. I really love the "**** you" smiley at the end that really shows how badly I was ripped of for their overprices product.

The SL 120 could have been a product that I'd highly recommend for commuter but for over $50 I expect better quality and service.

Last edited by cb400bill; 10-10-17 at 08:15 PM. Reason: bypassing forum censor
Old 10-10-17, 01:00 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Sorry to hear you got suckered by reelight. I had one decent light from them, got my son through middle school. Tried their next offering, was crap. Their third, I didn't want to deal with them any more.

I am going through something else w/ amazon, a pair of avid sd7 v-brakes I bought got recalled. I would never have found out about the recall if amazon hadn't notified me. Thanks! First amazon offered me to credit price for one of them. Then both! I am still working on them about getting my damn sales tax back though.
Old 10-10-17, 02:21 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Did the light actually come from Amazon (shipped and sold by Amazon) or did it come from another retailer selling on Amazon? Big difference there with regards to returns and warranty policies.
Old 10-10-17, 03:58 PM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
Their website doesn't say their warranty is invalid if purchased third party:

We give a 12-month warranty on all Reelight products from the purchase date. However, the right to seek redress for defective products is valid for two years pursuant to the Danish Sale of Goods Act, covering manufacturing and material defects.
Maybe you need to look into that Danish Sale of Goods Act?
Old 10-10-17, 08:11 PM
cbike

Bikes: Surly LHT (weekend ride & touring), GT Outpost (commuting), Brompton M6R (Weekend tours that involve flying), Co-Motion Periscope Torpedo (family weekend ride & touring)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
Did the light actually come from Amazon (shipped and sold by Amazon) or did it come from another retailer selling on Amazon? Big difference there with regards to returns and warranty policies.
It was sold by Amazon and not a third party through Amazon. Their answer was:
Our returns procedures state that within 30 days of delivery of your order, you may return most merchandise in new condition, with the original packaging and accessories, or any defective merchandise, for a full refund.
Old 10-10-17, 08:12 PM
cbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lostarchitect
Maybe you need to look into that Danish Sale of Goods Act?
Do you know of a Danish lawyer that works pro bono? I don't.
Old 10-10-17, 10:31 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
It's a product designed for the Danish market and two years in the norm for a minimal warranty in the EU. That's why there isn't more information.

I'm assuming that your not in DK as you bought the light from Amazon.

Reelights aren't really a good solution and only exist to meet the minimum DK standards for bikes in CPH (not even in the countryside really.)
Old 10-10-17, 11:54 PM
acidfast7
Banned

also, I don't know what you paid ...

Reelight Cykeltilbehør - Sammenlign priser hos PriceRunner

but the SL120 light set is under 300 DKK

Reelight Magnet SL120 Light Set - Sammenlign priser hos PriceRunner

so, it costs about 4 pints or about one dinner out of $30 or so.

i wouldn't expect greatness at that danish price

Last edited by acidfast7; 10-11-17 at 12:20 AM.
Old 10-11-17, 01:21 AM
Boye

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm no lawyer but know some things about the Danish market laws.

First of all, the product doesn't have a two year warranty. They advertise 12 months warranty and then an additional 12 months of right to redress. The latter is required buy EU law, the first is an extra service granted by Reelight.

Here in Denmark, if you want to make use of the right to redress, you always have to contact the dealer, and he is responsible for the handling of the case. All dealers in the EU are obliged to do this. Amazon US is not, which I guess makes the 2 year right to redress useless if you are outside the EU.

You can then only make use of the warranty given by Reelight by making direct contact to Reelight within the first 12 months of purchase.
Old 10-11-17, 01:29 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by Boye
I'm no lawyer but know some things about the Danish market laws.

First of all, the product doesn't have a two year warranty. They advertise 12 months warranty and then an additional 12 months of right to redress. The latter is required buy EU law, the first is an extra service granted by Reelight.

Here in Denmark, if you want to make use of the right to redress, you always have to contact the dealer, and he is responsible for the handling of the case. All dealers in the EU are obliged to do this. Amazon US is not, which I guess makes the 2 year right to redress useless if you are outside the EU.

You can then only make use of the warranty given by Reelight by making direct contact to Reelight within the first 12 months of purchase.
I agree. I was just keeping it easy for those state-side.
Old 10-11-17, 09:14 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Bought online? too bad , If you patronize your local shop they could be helpful in working thru their distributors..
Old 10-11-17, 09:32 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Never trust ANY warranty on a product bought through Amazon.

Most of the import companies claim a really good warranty then pull the "It's Amazon's responsibility. If they won't help you...good luck finding us in China" tactic. That's if the company even still exists 6 months after your purchase. Many of the import companies are quick flip scams. They buy a pallet of poor quality junk, sell it cheap, claim a warranty, then go out of business and open up a new company to repeat the scam. Amazon can't kick that company off the site because it's already gone.

Even if the company is still in business Amazon likely won't take action against the shady seller...because they just don't.

This particular light seller seems like a little bit more stable of a company than the Chinese importers. But Amazon still won't do anything to them.

That isn't to say that all warranties offered on Amazon are invalid. Some companies are GREAT about it. Anker for example warranties every product they sell and are FANTASTIC about honoring the warranties on defective products. But you should never assume you can trust a warranty on a product bought on Amazon unless you know the company or they have a good reputation for warranty handling.
Old 10-11-17, 04:23 PM
odiolalluvia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I suggest against buying bike stuff online. Bike shops have relationships with reps for all the brands they carry and are able to get these kinds of problems sorted out with much less stress on your part. Sorry to hear about your experience with Reelite. Personalmente, I prefer a hub-driven lighting system with B&M lights.
Old 10-20-17, 03:59 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Reelight RL770

FWIW: I have the Reelight RL770 on my commuter and I haven't had a problem in 2-3 years. I've been told the tail light is very bright and can be seen easily from 100+ yards away.