Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

When you have several bikes does one get all the Ride time?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

When you have several bikes does one get all the Ride time?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-22, 01:53 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
i only have three. the truth is really enjoy riding one more than the other two. one gets 80% of the hours, another gets 15% (it can carry a child ) and then one is down to 5%.
Old 07-16-22, 02:18 PM
jonathanf2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 442 Posts
I have a carbon road bike and an alloy gravel bike. I tend to ride my carbon bike more because it's faster and lighter. Plus I'm OCD about cleaning my bikes, after I ride the gravel bike on dirt, it takes me forever to clean!
Old 07-16-22, 02:56 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by AJW2W11E
I have a nice Specialized Diverge
I went out and bought a Defy just to see if I could go a bit faster.
Yes the Defy is a bit faster, and has lots more useable gears, but I missed the Diverge's handling and low center of gravity and the way its frame feels on really bad terrain.
So just like in the past, the Defy is gathering dust.
This isn't the first time this has happened as I've gone through different sets of bikes. If you have several bikes, do they all get used?
I have a good Ti road bike for recreational solo and group rides, and a cheap steel S/S for commuting. There is no crossover between the two and there’s no other cycling application for me that requires another bike. I honestly don’t see the point in tying up money, space and maintenance in multiple bikes for the same purpose, when each of the two bikes is ideal for its assigned purpose. Why would I want or need two road bikes or two commuters?
Old 07-16-22, 05:04 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
I have 5 road bikes. Roughly half fix gears. (My Peter Mooney goes both ways.) One of each drive types is a winter/rain/city ride with fenders, U-lock and racks. What bike do I ride? Going in town? Need that lock. Is today a cassette/FW day or fix gear? Once those are decided the bike is usually pretty obvious. Sometimes I have the choice of two. Then it come down to the gears or tires or "I want to ride ...".

There are times when I am preparing for a ride and do most of my prior rides on the same drivetrain type. This summer it's to be the week long Cycle Oregon on the fix gear, the Mooney. All my rides now are fixed except once a week to the farmer's market. Mooney for the most part but it just got painted and is now being tweaked so much of the time it isn't in my hands. (Right now it's getting a head tube pump peg and the Phil BB aligned.)
Old 07-16-22, 05:48 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
Originally Posted by joesch
The best chance I would have to attempt some of the climbing rides you do would be with the Habanero TI I recently got for a steal, as it has Dura Ace group with a triple. I need to get this bike to CA as its overkill for North Tx where I dont even need a compact chain ring.
joesch you and i need to hit south main divide west of murrieta. it would include ascending or descending both clinton keith rd and ca hwy 74 and finishing the loop with jefferson rd on the east side. one of the better 45-50 mile rides in all of socal. wild, challenging and scenic. i have the last few days of july and the first three weeks of august off. hopefully, you’re back in socal then. obvs, we would be doing dawn patrol this time of year.

*ps…did this ride one time on the ‘85 pinarello so fairly certain you can get away with whatever you bring. clockwise, nothing super steep…just a looong steady grade. counter-clockwise, a 7-10% grade of roughly a mile is the hardest part.

Last edited by diphthong; 07-16-22 at 05:51 PM.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 07-16-22, 05:54 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

The best chance I would have to attempt some of the climbing rides you do would be with the Habanero TI I recently got for a steal, as it has Dura Ace group with a triple. I need to get this bike to CA as its overkill for North Tx where I dont even need a compact chain ring.
yah, you don’t need that triple in tejas. you’ll need it for baldy, for palomar south grade and def for los gatos rd on the edge of de luz.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 07-16-22, 06:26 PM
mackgoo

Bikes: 87 Bianchi X4, 95 Bianchi Ti Mega Tube, 06 Alan Carbon Cross X33, Gold plated Columbus AIR Guerciotti, 74 Galmozzi Super Competizione, 52 Bianchi Paris Roubaix.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 540 Times in 166 Posts
I have a few bikes. Most are vintage soI only take them out on occasion, just old grail bikes. My one daily driver is really bordering on vintage, a 1995 Bianchi Ti Megatube, but that thing is as good as any new bike.
Old 07-16-22, 06:34 PM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
joesch you and i need to hit south main divide west of murrieta. it would include ascending or descending both clinton keith rd and ca hwy 74 and finishing the loop with jefferson rd on the east side. one of the better 45-50 mile rides in all of socal. wild, challenging and scenic. i have the last few days of july and the first three weeks of august off. hopefully, you’re back in socal then. obvs, we would be doing dawn patrol this time of year.

*ps…did this ride one time on the ‘85 pinarello so fairly certain you can get away with whatever you bring. clockwise, nothing super steep…just a looong steady grade. counter-clockwise, a 7-10% grade of roughly a mile is the hardest part.
Would love to get a chance to ride with you one of these days.
The ride you suggest sounds more reasonable than some of the others that I dont think Im ready for as I mostly train in Tx. Maybe back to SoCal later in Sept but probably not before then.
Likes For joesch:
Old 07-16-22, 06:40 PM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
I have a good Ti road bike for recreational solo and group rides, and a cheap steel S/S for commuting. There is no crossover between the two and there’s no other cycling application for me that requires another bike. I honestly don’t see the point in tying up money, space and maintenance in multiple bikes for the same purpose, when each of the two bikes is ideal for its assigned purpose. Why would I want or need two road bikes or two commuters?
N+1 backups are nice to have.
I have popped a few spokes recently and have 2 bikes needing wheels fixes.
Not a problem as I have other bikes in each category that serve as the choices.
Yes, for sure more maintenance but nice to avoid wheel swaps until fixed.
Old 07-16-22, 06:42 PM
IcySwan1 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 75 Posts
One of my bikes suffered a problem today after a 25 mile ride. I had the other bike in the shop for drivetrain work. The second was ready today and I will be back on the road while I sort out the problem with the first. Worked out well, although I can’t honestly say that is why I have these 2 bikes.
Old 07-16-22, 07:52 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Would love to get a chance to ride with you one of these days.
The ride you suggest sounds more reasonable than some of the others that I dont think Im ready for as I mostly train in Tx. Maybe back to SoCal later in Sept but probably not before then.
pm me when you roll back into socal.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 07-16-22, 08:15 PM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
2 fg/fw, 1 road bike CAAD9, 1 touring Novara Safari.

Since getting the 2 fg/fw I have put the majority of miles on them. Last year was the Wabi Classic, this almost exclusively the Wabi Thunder - fixed gear right now.
Old 07-16-22, 08:20 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
Duke Ellington was asked if he had a favorite among all the songs he had written, and his answer was, essentially, "Songs are like ladies: the latest is always the favorite." But he still played the other songs.

Same with my bikes, of which there are five. Newest one or two see 80-90% of the miles, but the others have their uses as well.
Old 07-16-22, 08:49 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Duke Ellington was asked if he had a favorite among all the songs he had written, and his answer was, essentially, "Songs are like ladies: the latest is always the favorite." But he still played the other songs
Funny, I have two bikes and like them for different reasons and the one I’m riding (or the one I just rode) is usually my favorite (at that moment).

Otto
Old 07-17-22, 09:17 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
I usually just ride one of my five. And I'm pretty embarrassed to admit that I haven't been on one of my bikes in years.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.