Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

80s Dawes Sport Touring model mix up.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-22, 10:56 PM
Senior Ryder 00 
Old bikes, Older guy

Bikes: A few modern, Several vintage, All ridden when weather allows.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 115 Posts

Hi folks,

This afternoon I took a recently acquired Dawes bicycle out for the first test ride, but have not been able to identify the model. I got the frameset from The Bike Farm in Portland thanks to the help and facilitation efforts of @Robvolz. In addition to the frameset, it came with Weinmann CP brakes, a Sugino BB & a Tange headset.

Research with available Dawes catalogues and the UK web site, Retrobike. It appears that three different models used a similar color scheme, Jaguar, Shadow & Countryman. As far as I can tell, the Jaguar & Shadow were introduced in 1982 when they went to the new head badge. That color scheme, dark gray fading to medium gray, was only shown on the Jaguar in the 1986 catalogue and that picture with accompanying data has a different headset & side pull brakes, but the same decals as mine. All of the previous Jaguar listings show it in red. I couldn’t find any catalogues from 87-89. The 1990 catalogue doesn’t have any of these bikes in it.

The Shadow uses this paint coloring in the 82-86 catalogues with variations in the labeling. They are also shown with stamped dropouts, lower level components and no 531 decal. I only found one picture of the Countryman and it had canti brakes and a 531 sticker plus guards.

A few interesting details about my bike. The date code in the BB spindle indicates January 1983, but one of the Weimann brakes had a date code of December 1984. The serial number is WD4891, but I couldn’t find any data base for it. It also had one of the cheaper Tange headsets with the knurled top race nut instead of a hex. No date coding on it. An interesting find, there is a tiny “72” on the top of the seat post lug. Input from the UK said that this is most likely the seat tube angle. The best fitting seat post is 26.8. Sounds more like straight gauge than 531 DB which the sticker says. The dropouts & fork tips are forged & stamp “DAWES”. Another UK input was that this might have been an export model that had different specs from the English models.

So, is this frame production line or supply chain snafu or a export model destined for North America. Since Dawes primarily imported the Galaxy model to the US, could it possibly be one of those? They came with Weinmann center pulls, but most of them had a full 531 frame. @T-Mar, do you have any info on Dawes bikes imported to North America?

Any info on this brand will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks & regards,

Van

AKA: Senior Ryder 00

Last edited by Senior Ryder 00; 11-21-22 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Dumb Mistake!
Likes For Senior Ryder 00:
Old 11-17-22, 05:55 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts
I've seen this paint-scheme before, and I think it was Galaxy. I've seen Galaxies with no reference to 531 forks and stays. Interesting that there are no fork decals and that the Reynolds sticker does not specify "531 fork & stays". It has the later Dawes lugs and dropouts, so I'm thinking early-'80's. Wish I could be more help. Very nice frame-set.
Old 11-17-22, 07:06 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
The 72 on the lug is most likely the degree of angle
Old 11-17-22, 07:28 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Don't know that it helps much, but it reminded me of the paint on yours. This big gal is for sale on Craigslist in my area, listed at $195.00. No mention of specific year, just says '80s. The head badge seems a match for yours.

Likes For TugaDude:
Old 11-17-22, 09:20 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,038 Times in 1,876 Posts
Originally Posted by Senior Ryder 00
... @T-Mar, do you have any info on Dawes bikes imported to North America?...
I've got a few pieces of information for 1984 and 1986, from old buyers' guides, though it's text only, with no photos. At the time, Dawes had a USA division, called Dawes Cycles, located in Hamden, Connecticut.

The 1984 specs show several differences from the UK, ranging from minor component variations, up to different model names. The only touring model mentioned is the Galaxy but it has a significant difference that is pertinent to the subject bicycle. While the UK model is " Reynolds 531 butted tubing through out" , the USA model is "Reynolds 531double butted main tube", like the frame in question.

My 1986 literature mentions only the Super Galaxy, with the tubeset and stated frame features (cantilever studs, brazed-on shift lever bosses) matching the UK catalogue.

The Reynolds decal on the subject bicycle is the style introduced for the 1983 model year, so it should be no earlier than that, provided it is original. Given that features match between the two countries on the 1986 Super Galaxy and that the UK catalogue doesn't show any models with centre-pull brakes, the subject bicycle would appear to be 1983-1985. Furthermore, since the USA had a Galaxy during this period that was know used Reynolds 531 only in the main tubes, my leading candidate would be a 1983-1985 Dawes Galaxy.
Old 11-18-22, 09:39 PM
Senior Ryder 00 
Old bikes, Older guy

Thanks & an update.

Hi folks,
Many thanks for the feedback & a special thanks to T-Mar. His knowledge and the extent of his database never cease to amaze me.

The info indicates that this frame is most likely a Galaxy model produced for the North American market in late 1984 or early 1985. The ride & handling are comparable with a pair of 60s English club racers I have, but a little less sprightly than my custom made sports tourer from 1980. I haven’t put enough miles on it to assess the comfort.
Cheers,
Van
Old 11-19-22, 02:01 PM
Schreck83 

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 162 Posts
Originally Posted by Senior Ryder 00
Hi folks,
A few interesting details about my bike. The date code in the BB spindle indicates January 1983, but one of the Weimann brakes had a date code of December 1984. The serial number is WD4891, but I couldn’t find any data base for it..... The dropouts & fork tips are forged & stamp “DAWES”.
Here's another data point that may be helpful or not. I have a Dawes Atlantis of similar vintage. It has the same oval head badge and a serial number of ZD5905. Pedals and derailleurs are dated 1982, so likely to be a 1983 model year at the earliest.
The color is red sunburst, which is not listed in the 1982 US catalog on 2velo.com. The specs are a very close match to the Imperial model in the UK catalogs for 1984. So, a bit puzzling. Hope this is helpful to you.
https://2velo.com/dawes-bicycle-catalogs/

Old 11-21-22, 08:47 PM
Senior Ryder 00 
Old bikes, Older guy

OK, My original post contained a significant senior moment (Giant brain f@rt) 😳! I referred to the BIKE FARM where I got this frameset as the Bike Tree. Sorry for the confusion, I guess I’v reached that age.
Cheers,
Van