Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Ignoring winter?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Ignoring winter?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-17, 11:17 AM
Bikewolf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Ignoring winter?

A typical winter commute landscape: people with no lights, no hat, no gloves etc. Occasionally one with shorts.

This winter: SLIPPERS and no socks!! Some people seem to simply ignore winter*...

Anything that made your eyebrows frown?

[ * It was freezing. ]

Last edited by Bikewolf; 12-30-17 at 03:29 PM.
Old 12-30-17, 12:22 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
I saw a woman in flip flops, a skirt, no socks. It was 5F outside. I nearly stopped and took a picture of her
Old 12-30-17, 01:52 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Florida?
Old 12-30-17, 05:58 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
I saw a woman in flip flops, a skirt, no socks. It was 5F outside. I nearly stopped and took a picture of her
This last week I saw 3 people with flip flops outside... -29*C 4" snow... WOW. WTF is wrong with people today...?... Yea, I know they "just" went from their warm cars to the warm store, but what about if you hit the ditch, or have mechanical problems and have to sit there for Hrs...??? I carry snowmobile suit/boots, mitts, hats... You know "just in case stuff happens...

Ooopps, I don't really think this has anything to do with bike commuting but, the title of this thread drew me in...

Last edited by 350htrr; 12-30-17 at 06:20 PM. Reason: add stuff
Old 12-30-17, 07:54 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
We usually have the opposite. It will be 65F and you see riders dressed for an arctic expedition.
Old 12-31-17, 08:47 AM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by 350htrr
but what about if you hit the ditch, or have mechanical problems and have to sit there for Hrs...???
Most people have an optimistic view of personal security. Cell phones and "connected" cars have certainly enhanced this view; however people failed to plan ahead long before these modern devices. The key is that, once stranded, do they learn anything?
Old 12-31-17, 09:30 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by 350htrr
This last week I saw 3 people with flip flops outside... -29*C 4" snow... WOW. WTF is wrong with people today...?... Yea, I know they "just" went from their warm cars to the warm store, but what about if you hit the ditch, or have mechanical problems and have to sit there for Hrs...??? I carry snowmobile suit/boots, mitts, hats... You know "just in case stuff happens...
Back in '83 a couple of friends and I got caught and stuck in a multi-day, sub-freezing blizzard driving by Lake Erie. After a couple of days we tried to make a break for it Christmas Eve. But we didn't get far, becoming stranded in another motel for another couple of days.

We arrived just as an ambulance was leaving. Apparently, after being snowed in for a few days this guy threw on his windbreaker, no hat, no gloves, and attempted to drive a quarter mile to a convenience store for some cigarettes. He skidded and became stuck in a snowbank, and after the car ran out of gas he walked to the motel we just arrived at.

The other stranded travelers were still talking about it. Lucky for the frozen smoker there were some EMTs stranded also. They stripped this guy down to his underwear and did the same, hugging him from both sides to warm him up while a warm bath was drawn using the shower head in one of the motel rooms. They then stood hugging him under the shower head until there was enough water for him to lay in the tub and warm up. The final consensus was that we would loose portions of his fingers and toes.

That made a real impression on me, and when I pushed my low temp threshhold back down to 12F a few years ago (now 10F), I carry an extra layer of bike clothes, socks and glove liners.
Old 01-01-18, 11:45 AM
Bikewolf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
That made a real impression on me, and when I pushed my low temp threshhold back down to 12F a few years ago (now 10F), I carry an extra layer of bike clothes, socks and glove liners.
Yep. And doesn’t even take a lot of extra weight.
Old 01-01-18, 12:02 PM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
We usually have the opposite. It will be 65F and you see riders dressed for an arctic expedition.

As a fellow Californian, I second this observation. What are these people thinking? I would much rather be slightly under-dressed than slightly over-dressed. Don't these people's bodies warm up at all when they start pedaling?

I have not ridden with covered legs for all of this fall and "winter". As winters go, this one has been a pretty darned tame tame one, even for California. One small rainstorm a few weeks ago is all we've had in the Fresno area.

And where do people get those day glow green jackets anyway? I've never seen them for sale anywhere. Also, what is the deal with those guys who pedal with their knees WAYYY out to the side? Is is bad knees, a beer gut getting in the way, or just really bad pedaling form? I have never been able to figure that one out either.
Old 01-01-18, 01:13 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
It's in the 30s in north Florida today. If anyone is out there ignoring winter it will escape my attention as I have no intention of leaving the house in this weather.
Old 01-02-18, 05:11 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
Originally Posted by Colnago Mixte
Also, what is the deal with those guys who pedal with their knees WAYYY out to the side? Is is bad knees, a beer gut getting in the way, or just really bad pedaling form? I have never been able to figure that one out either.
DH and I saw one on our Sunday ride. Dude was truckin', but we couldn't figure out what was up with his knees.
Old 01-02-18, 05:32 PM
K'Tesh
Commander, UFO Bike

Bikes: Giant, Trek

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Are you in China too? I swear if the temperature drops below 20C, you start seeing the heavy jackets... Me, I'm in shorts until the end of October.
Old 01-02-18, 06:23 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
For a winter drive to another state for the holidays my then-teenage daughter insisted she was fine barefoot in shorts and a short sleeve top for the car ride. "Oh, this is just what I do!" she chirped. Meaning, she was so fashion conscious she had to dress for the boys even when none were around to appreciate it.

I told her to bring plenty of warm clothes and shoes because if we got stranded it would be in the middle of nowhere for hours and she'd die or lose some toes and fingers wearing summer clothing. Fortunately there were no problems on the trip.

Having grown up in New York and spent part of my adult years in some very cold places I have no problem dressing or overdressing for the weather. It's easy to remove too much clothing. Harder to replace toes and fingers.

When the weather dips toward 40F I have no problems wearing women's tights ($5 from Walgreens) under my jeans or trousers for long walks or bike commutes. They're comfy, warm and only the cats know. Cheaper than cycling knee or leg warmers, just as effective -- the material seems identical to my Nashbar knee warmers.
Old 01-02-18, 09:40 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
For a winter drive to another state for the holidays my then-teenage daughter insisted she was fine barefoot in shorts and a short sleeve top for the car ride. "Oh, this is just what I do!" she chirped. Meaning, she was so fashion conscious she had to dress for the boys even when none were around to appreciate it.
Ha - this reminds me of the time I met my stepdaughter in Chicago for a college visit...in February. I met her at a train station, from which it was about a mile (walk) to the hotel. She had on a crop top and equally short jacket. To this day, I still give her crap for that

Our neighbor is the one that gets me, though. He lost his license for a while, and we saw him one day riding his bike to the convenience store in full on expedition getup - snowpants and everything - when it was about 40F. But going out in the car, it's PJ pants and flip flops. His car is decent, but even decent cars here have trouble starting when it's as cold as it has been.
Old 01-03-18, 03:56 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
I'd like to see anyone ignore tomorrow ...
Old 01-03-18, 09:12 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 401 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I'd like to see anyone ignore tomorrow ...
It was minus 5 or so yesterday in Chicago. I had pretty much every possible layer on.
Steve
Old 01-03-18, 11:03 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7351 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,439 Posts
I rode to the blood center and back yesterday, 2.5 miles each way. It was cold and windy. My ski helmet made it possible. It's so warm.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-04-18, 03:16 PM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
It's funny how your location makes a huge difference in how cold it really is.

I'm from Maryland. Summers in the 90's, couple of days over 100. Winters in the 30s and 40's with a week or two between 20 on average.

This is what I'm used to.

A few years back I was in Tampa in late October. It was unusually chilly for the area, maybe 58. I hadn't brought a coat with me because...Florida. So I'm walking around town in shorts and a t shirt feeling very comfortable and people are looking at me like I'm nuts while they are dressed like the "I can't put my arms down!" kid from A Christmas Story. At 58 degrees.

Conversely, another year I was in Maine South of Portland, near the Atlantic Coast around the beginning of April. It's probably 55-60 degrees there. Too cold for the beach for ever the locals. But all the French Canadians would come down from Quebec every spring and hit the beach in swim shorts. Crazy people were even going in the water!

So perspective is everything.
Old 01-04-18, 03:18 PM
snow_echo_NY

Bikes: Scott Genius, Surly Crosscheck, Yuba Mundo cargo, Specialized Dolce Triple (stolen 5/8/15)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
this is my experience. in NYC, this happens - it's really silly.
Old 01-04-18, 03:23 PM
snow_echo_NY

Bikes: Scott Genius, Surly Crosscheck, Yuba Mundo cargo, Specialized Dolce Triple (stolen 5/8/15)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Colnago Mixte

As a fellow Californian, I second this observation. What are these people thinking? I would much rather be slightly under-dressed than slightly over-dressed. Don't these people's bodies warm up at all when they start pedaling?

I have not ridden with covered legs for all of this fall and "winter". As winters go, this one has been a pretty darned tame tame one, even for California. One small rainstorm a few weeks ago is all we've had in the Fresno area.

And where do people get those day glow green jackets anyway? I've never seen them for sale anywhere. Also, what is the deal with those guys who pedal with their knees WAYYY out to the side? Is is bad knees, a beer gut getting in the way, or just really bad pedaling form? I have never been able to figure that one out either.
in California, it seems all my friends there are dealing with the fires. there's no cool weather to be heard of, only sweltering heat.
Old 01-04-18, 03:26 PM
snow_echo_NY

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
we had a thread here awhile ago (last year?) about the proper attire for 50F. everyone runs pretty different, with the average somewhere in there. it's a safe bet to go with the average and then adjust for yourself over time and experience.

i think there are a lot of people who are not daunted by winter. for example, those i know in edmonton canada would call 20F downright tropical. it's all what your experience is and your own personal comfort level. it is what it is.

but yeah. those that are wearing parkas when it is 50-60F out - i do not understand whatsoever. i've seen people in NYC bike like that. it looks so uncomfortable.
Old 01-04-18, 08:02 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by noglider
cold and windy. My ski helmet made it possible. It's so warm.
take a pic?
Old 01-04-18, 08:06 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

take a pic?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 01-04-18, 08:21 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by noglider
pic
don't need a helmet cover with that huh?
Old 01-04-18, 08:26 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

don't need a helmet cover with that huh?
Nope. I wear a thin cap and a tubular scarf under it. Now if I can just solve the hands and feet problems. I'll be trying silk glove and sock liners.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.