Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shortening handlebars

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Shortening handlebars

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-21, 08:35 PM
Paulscmn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shortening handlebars

I recently purchased a Specialized Sirrus x2 with flat bars. I think I may want to shorten my bars. I'm going to slide my shifter and brake levers in first to see how l like it. What would be the best way to cut the bars, saw or tubing cutter? TIA
Old 03-07-21, 08:39 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
If you don't have a cutting guide use the tubing cutter, they work great. Unless they're carbon of course, then you have to use a saw.
Old 03-07-21, 08:41 PM
Peter Polack

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Use a tubing cutter. You will have to file off the flared end after the cut.

If you want to use a hacksaw, clamp a couple hose clamps on the bar to guide the blade through the cut.

If your a real techy, you can get a Park Tool SG-6 Threadless Saw Guide which is what I've used.
Old 03-07-21, 08:46 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
Originally Posted by Peter Polack
Use a tubing cutter. You will have to file off the flared end after the cut.
Not sure what flare is being referred to here as the blade will push the metal inward, not outward, but definitely use a tubing cutter if you have one available. Assuming it's a metal bar. BTW-you do realize that the trend in MTBing is going wide on the bars, even though it makes the trails feel a whole lot narrower haha.
Old 03-08-21, 01:52 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigbus
Not sure what flare is being referred to here as the blade will push the metal inward, not outward, but definitely use a tubing cutter if you have one available. Assuming it's a metal bar. BTW-you do realize that the trend in MTBing is going wide on the bars, even though it makes the trails feel a whole lot narrower haha.
It is a long time since I have looked at tube cutters, but in the past the ones I used had a taper on each side of the blade. When these finished the cut there was metal edge sticking out a bit as the tube end would have the same taper as the blade. If your tube cutter only has a taper on one side, then conceivably filling will be less significant, but even so I would probably still run a file around the inside and outside edges.
Old 03-08-21, 05:54 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
I also have found that I needed to file the outer edge of the cut. I used a rat-tail file on the ID, finishing with a machinist's deburring tool.
Old 03-08-21, 10:24 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Paulscmn
I recently purchased a Specialized Sirrus x2 with flat bars. I think I may want to shorten my bars. I'm going to slide my shifter and brake levers in first to see how l like it. What would be the best way to cut the bars, saw or tubing cutter? TIA
I shortened a pair of MTB flat bars for a S/S road runabout. Likely you're going to be putting grips on them, so the cut doesn't have to be as hairsplitting as you'd need for, say a steerer. I measured off the requisite 2" from each end, marked the spot with a Sharpie, wrapped the bar so the bench vise wouldn't mar it, then simply cut it with a hacksaw, eyeballing it to get a fairly perpendicular cut. It's a Al bar, so the saw went through it pretty easily. Cleaned up the ends with a file, reinstalled it (used a beercan shim so it fitted snugly into a 3T quill stem), fitted levers and grips, and done. This job doesn't really require that much thinking.

Last edited by Litespud; 03-08-21 at 10:31 AM.
Old 03-08-21, 11:14 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 246 Posts
I've shortened a few metal handle bars. A pipe cutter works great!
Remember.....measure twice, cut once. In this case, you'll have to do this 2x (for two ends)