Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Another “Mystery” (Japanese?) bike

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-22, 11:35 AM
evwxxx
FalconLvr

Bikes: 62 Falcon, 58 Raleigh Lenton Gran Prix, 74 Raleigh Pro, 75 Raleigh Int, 75 Raleigh Comp, 76 Colnago Super, 75 Crescent, 80 Peugeot PX10, plus others too numerous to mention!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 68 Posts

So thanks to ‘02 nrs I saw this thing on the Ft Wayne Indiana facebook. Since I was driving thru Ft Wayne anyway I ended up with it to the tune of 40 bucks. The attraction was for the parts, but I am curious as to the pedigree of the bike. The parts bits include Suntour Superbe FD, RD, shifters, and front hub (rear hub is campy record, replacement?). Cranks are Sugino Super Mighty, brakes are Gran Compe, headset is Tange Levin alloy. BB is 68mm BSC, with Sugino cups and spindle. Rims are matching Mavic sew ups, 700c. Interesting points are the nice fluted seat stays (like my Colnagos!) and the number LS 1 under the bottom bracket. There is no indication of holes for a head badge. The seatpost diameter is 26.6. Drop outs are Tange “Pro”.

LS 1

Threaded seat clamp ear

Fluted seat stays

So, any ideas as to what this might be? Thanks!
Old 12-04-22, 12:08 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
-----

you might wish to also include the possibility of a Flanderland navtivity

CMAW non-fixie MauriceMoss
-----
Old 12-04-22, 12:25 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 788 Posts
couple more data points: is the 26.6 seatpost 100% the correct size for the seat tube?

If so the size is a bit curious: if this were JP then a seattube that size would point to something heavier-gauge such as Tange #3 or lower, yet given some of the details of this frame I think it's likely made of
"better stuff" such as metric seamless DB and of the lighter stuff than say 531C (which might take 26.4 more frequently, or this tube was reamed out a touch more).

Please check the outside diameters of the 3 main tubes with an accurate (digital is best) caliper.

In which case with metric tubing it could be of Benelux-origin, as juvela suggests, but still an oddball to find metric tubing there.

Pull out the fork and check for any stamping on the steerer. also check the interior base of that steerer for any "rifling"

One last point: looks like "LS1" might be just the part of a longer serial number, the rest of which was ground off....correct?

Last edited by unworthy1; 12-04-22 at 12:30 PM.
Old 12-04-22, 01:51 PM
evwxxx
FalconLvr

Bikes: 62 Falcon, 58 Raleigh Lenton Gran Prix, 74 Raleigh Pro, 75 Raleigh Int, 75 Raleigh Comp, 76 Colnago Super, 75 Crescent, 80 Peugeot PX10, plus others too numerous to mention!

Originally Posted by unworthy1
couple more data points: is the 26.6 seatpost 100% the correct size for the seat tube?

If so the size is a bit curious: if this were JP then a seattube that size would point to something heavier-gauge such as Tange #3 or lower, yet given some of the details of this frame I think it's likely made of
"better stuff" such as metric seamless DB and of the lighter stuff than say 531C (which might take 26.4 more frequently, or this tube was reamed out a touch more).

Please check the outside diameters of the 3 main tubes with an accurate (digital is best) caliper.

In which case with metric tubing it could be of Benelux-origin, as juvela suggests, but still an oddball to find metric tubing there.

Pull out the fork and check for any stamping on the steerer. also check the interior base of that steerer for any "rifling"

One last point: looks like "LS1" might be just the part of a longer serial number, the rest of which was ground off....correct?
yes there is definitely “flatness” after the LS 1 numerals,,, the frame feels very lightweight, so the 26.6 seat tube surprised me. As you can see from the pic of the whole bike the seat was jammed all the way in, so I was surprised that it came out at all, but it was in very snug. Tried another 26.6 seatpost and it too was nice and snug. Pulled the fork, original color black, marked Ishiwata. Outside diameters of main tubes are:

seat tube -28.9
top tube - 25.85
down tube - 29.0

these measurements done with mechanical caliper with cold fingers, so,,,
Old 12-04-22, 01:57 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
-----

Ishiwata 022 was the tube set expected

this fits in with a Flanders origin

also surprised by the pillar size; although it would fit in with a metric standard

be aware there are a few Flanders makers to use metric standard rather than BSC/ISO

-----
Old 12-04-22, 03:36 PM
evwxxx
FalconLvr

Originally Posted by juvela
-----

Ishiwata 022 was the tube set expected

this fits in with a Flanders origin

also surprised by the pillar size; although it would fit in with a metric standard

be aware there are a few Flanders makers to use metric standard rather than BSC/ISO

-----
thanks, at least the BB is standard!
Old 12-05-22, 07:08 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,038 Times in 1,876 Posts
The serial number format appears to be that used by Bianchi's Japanese source and, if so, would indicate a 1982 model manufactured at the end of 1981. The component mix is largely in accordance with a Bianchi Professional. The frame characteristics, for the most part, are consistent with a 1982 Professional, with concerns being the colour (repaint?) and seat post size. Like others, I was expecting an Ishiwata 022 tubeset and a 27.2mm seat post. The 26.6mm post is actually typical of a Tange tubeset. It's possible that they could have been building a similar model for another client but with a Tange tubeset. However, I'm not aware of any. It's worth noting that the seat post size would be correct if an Ishiwata 022 seat tube had inadvertently been installed upside down. Pending further evidence, a Bianchi Professional would be my leading candidate.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 12-05-22, 09:18 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
LS1? Well it's obviously then a Chevrolet.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 12-05-22, 12:32 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 788 Posts
So, thanks to T-Mar (again) most likely a re-sprayed Japanese Bianchi Pro with some very nice Sun Tour Superbe parts!
You did quite well for $40!

The builder for most of these JP Bianchis has remained a stubborn mystery, even stymied the Great Ones (like T-Mar), but they are certainly well-made and enjoyed by nearly everyone who rides one them.
Likes For unworthy1:
Old 12-05-22, 01:06 PM
Highmass

Bikes: 1991 Centurion Oxygen, 1997 Centurion Invincible, 1995+- Fondriest Wind, 1982 Grand Master Nissan Pro 2000, 1992 Olmo Racing (The racing part of the name HAS to be a joke).

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts
And it gets even better. That is not an ordinary Superbe RD. It is a Superbe Pro. A Superbe would have chromed steel for for the two big allen bolts (With engraving), and a hex nut for the cable attatchment. On a Superbe Pro, the cable attatchment is as shown, and the two large allen bolts are aluminium, making it 25 grams lighter than the regular Superbe. Score!
Likes For Highmass:
Old 12-05-22, 04:06 PM
evwxxx
FalconLvr

I love it when a plan comes together (ie stopping off in Ft Wayne on the way from South Bend to Blacksburg Virginia)!