Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

"No bag" policies at sports events

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-23, 10:31 AM
ericoseveins
I like cats.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 29 Posts

What do other people do with their belongings when they bike commute to a game, now that more sports arenas are refusing to allow bags into the venue?

At FedEx Field there's a cottage industry of mobile locker operators. The locker fee isn't a big deal but I get annoyed by the extra hassle of having to fight through a crowd and having to walk to the locker bank after a game. Tonight I'm going to Capital One Arena and thinking I probably won't be able to bring my vintage John Starks jersey because I'm going to just leave all my usual bike portage options at home. Are there any good options for bike luggage that's secure enough to sit on a locked bike on a busy urban downtown street for several hours? Or wearable luggage that can pass through an arena security gate?
Old 11-17-23, 01:56 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2496 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
Commute to a game? Like you are an employee of the arena? Lol. This belongs in LCF, but I don't blame you for posting here. I can offer some advice because I am pretty hardcore LCF, but I cannot offer too much sympathy. I mean ... WTF, they don't let bags in at games now?! And there is a cottage industry of mobile locker operators kicking back 20% of gross receipts to the Stadium that lets them take complete advantage of their captive audience? Say it ain't so. Sports customer abuse culture has a lot to answer for.

What, exactly, is allowed into the arena then? I'm sorry, if there isn't allowance for a decent size backpack that can be inspected, then carried in, there isn't any chance of me bothering to figure out alternatives. I'm not enough of a fan of anything to suffer complete privation just so they can sell me everything I need while I am a (temporary) hostage of their hospitality. What do you mean by 'wearable luggage that can pass through an arena security gate". Is that not the definition of a backpack?

Edit: you were good enough to supply your city in your profile, so I was able to Google (hint) this: "The Capital One Arena bag policy is strict and prohibits all bags larger than 5” x 7”. This includes backpacks, briefcases, and larger purses, so you'll have to leave them at home or store them somewhere else because there aren't storage lockers in the arena". Sacre bleu! This is indefensible. I'm not sure what I can tell you besides keep your filthy ticket fee in your wallet? There aren't any pannier securements that would survive hours unattended in an urban setting. Still not understanding why you can't just wear the joisy and leave everything else at home?
Old 11-17-23, 11:35 PM
ericoseveins
I like cats.

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
What do you mean by 'wearable luggage that can pass through an arena security gate". Is that not the definition of a backpack? Still not understanding why you can't just wear the joisy and leave everything else at home?
Well, arena security refuses entry to anything that looks like a bag. So by wearable luggage I meant something that looks like clothing but functions like a bag. Basically I think I mean... cargo pants.

Re: wearing the jersey to the game, I guess wearing the jersey didn't really seem like it would be functional for the weather or for carrying other items. You're probably right though - it could've worked fine as long as I didn't mind a fashion disaster. If I do this again I might try bungeeing one of those little Baggu bags to a rack or something and meeting my carrying needs thusly.
Old 11-18-23, 01:20 AM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 820 Times in 412 Posts
Don't carry a bag? I have never carried a bag to a sporting event or concert, and if I feel the need to sneak in something to eat or drink, a loose jacket works pretty well.
Old 11-18-23, 03:19 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by ericoseveins
What do other people do with their belongings when they bike commute to a game, now that more sports arenas are refusing to allow bags into the venue?
It's fairly rare that I head to large gatherings like that. But on the few occasions when I have it's simple enough to bring a thin, form-fitting "day" pack that fits underneath a light jacket. Can't be seen as a "bag" at a glance, due to being underneath the jacket. About the only way to get around such "security" theater.
Old 11-18-23, 06:24 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 1,593 Times in 739 Posts
Small clear pack for going to an NFL game? 10 balloons at AMZ
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 11-18-23, 11:33 AM
ericoseveins
I like cats.

Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
Don't carry a bag? I have never carried a bag to a sporting event or concert, and if I feel the need to sneak in something to eat or drink, a loose jacket works pretty well.
I didn't bring a bag last night. The general problem is I have lots of little items when I get around that I need to carry off the bike. The new arena policies are also disruptive if I'm coming from work or if I want to run errands after a game. It's not a huge deal - I only go to a handful of games a year - but I thought I'd see if anyone had a great solution. I should probably try modifying a Baggu bag to sit on a porteur or pannier rack.

Last edited by ericoseveins; 11-19-23 at 07:41 AM.
Old 11-18-23, 08:44 PM
krusty
Successful alcoholic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Odd. A few weeks ago, I took the train to a World Cup sporting event. My wife and I couldn't check into our hotel when the event was scheduled to begin, so we had our bags with us. One night stay, so we didn't have much. Next day, we had to check out of the hotel before attending the next day's events, so again we had bags. At no time did anyone question us or ask to check inside the bags. Nobody cared.
Old 11-19-23, 08:03 AM
ericoseveins
I like cats.

Originally Posted by krusty
Odd. A few weeks ago, I took the train to a World Cup sporting event. At no time did anyone question us or ask to check inside the bags. Nobody cared.
I think Leisesturm was right - everyone at the arena profits from a no bag policy unless the consumer just stops going to games entirely. Even then a causative relationship between the policy and a decline in attendance is probably hard to establish definitively. A negative relationship between the policy and the frequency of mass shootings is also probably impossible to establish, but may mitigate some liability in the event of one.
Old 11-19-23, 07:11 PM
Derailed

Bikes: Priority Continuum Onyx; Hunter CX

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I really feel your pain and frustration. I'm rarely in such a situation, but I have gone to university events (e.g., commencements, etc) and been taken aback by similar no-bag policies. The last college (American) football game I attended will likely be truly be my last, whether or not were I to go by bicycle, largely because I couldn't handle how much extra waste was generated simply because attendees couldn't bring their own refillable bottles for water.
Old 11-29-23, 08:02 AM
rivers

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 79 Posts
How about a packable backpack? Something like this. It packs way down into something pocket sized.
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/waterp...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 11-29-23, 11:45 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
Few have the gumption to change the post-9/11 rules.
Old 11-29-23, 06:02 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by Derailed
The last college (American) football game I attended will likely be truly be my last, whether or not were I to go by bicycle, largely because I couldn't handle how much extra waste was generated simply because attendees couldn't bring their own refillable bottles for water.
It boggles with that with all the bonkers things about college football, this would be your last straw. You are supposed to drink beer
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 11-29-23, 06:04 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
Few have the gumption to change the post-9/11 rules.
but how else do you keep the tortillas off the field
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 12-04-23, 09:50 AM
Derailed

Bikes: Priority Continuum Onyx; Hunter CX

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
It boggles with that with all the bonkers things about college football, this would be your last straw. You are supposed to drink beer
Ha! Fair enough...
Old 12-04-23, 09:54 AM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 377 Posts
I need to see this John Starks jersey! Go New York Go New York Go!
Old 12-04-23, 03:10 PM
ericoseveins
I like cats.

Originally Posted by john m flores
I need to see this John Starks jersey! Go New York Go New York Go!
Hahaha! Here's the jersey and my towel from the dunk game. A little wrinkled from being used as a welding bandanna a few months ago.

Old 12-04-23, 03:30 PM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 377 Posts
Originally Posted by ericoseveins
Hahaha! Here's the jersey and my towel from the dunk game. A little wrinkled from being used as a welding bandanna a few months ago.

Wait....you saw THE DUNK?!!!! Wow!
Old 12-04-23, 03:43 PM
ericoseveins
I like cats.

Originally Posted by john m flores
Wait....you saw THE DUNK?!!!! Wow!
Second best thing ever in my sports-watching lifetime! (Number one being the helmet catch. I was at a Super Bowl party and kept leaning further over through the play, then fell over a row of chairs onto the people sitting in those chairs.)
Likes For ericoseveins:
Old 12-06-23, 06:07 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
Well, HERE'S a way to get your booze in, at any rate.
"No, that's just gynecomastia."
Old 12-06-23, 06:45 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
My money doesn't go places that have policies I don't agree with.