Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Scott windriver tire clearance

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-22, 07:19 AM
martonkaa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

HI! I have a vintage scott mountain bike, windriver sports. Right now I'm using with 26x2,1 Schwalbe Billy Bonkers. Anyway, I can't find out how much wider I can go. In the front the space is plenty, but in the rear it seems really tight. Does anyone using it with 2,2 or upper sizes?
Old 01-06-22, 08:37 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
Measure the distance between the chainstay. Should give you an approximate idea.
Old 01-06-22, 04:46 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
Measure twice, cut once! Check all the points where you would have rubbing and see what you can fit but also keep in mind if you are planning on doing some mountain biking you will want some clearance for mud unless you are lucky enough to live in a place that is always dry and won't ever encounter dirt. Ideally for mud usually 4mm or more is good if not I would at least give 2mm on either side or just say hey, I can't run super wide stuff and that is OK. Then get a bike that is more practical for the tire widths you desire and keep that one for having fun on because vintage MTB can be fun.
Old 01-10-22, 11:07 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
It is impossible for us to know. You have the bike and can see how much room there is. The problem is tires rarely measure what is marked on the sidewall.