Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

So a Friend swung by with a bike that he wants to go touring on...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-11, 12:30 AM
shipwreck

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

This is an edit for all those who think that I am asking it this bike can be toured on, or how to do it. I am not. I was interested in its resale value so the owner could purchase something more fit for his needs. thank you.

I had to tell him it would be a tragedy. So, I talked him into possibly selling it, and using the money to get a better bike for touring. I told him I would post some pics and get some opinions as to its worth. Here it is.

Sorry about the pics of the messy dog bones and messy work area, he brought it to my workshop tonight so I could show him how to change a tire, shift and put racks and touring things on it. Please advise. I would like it, but kind of don't want a bike that would cost that much to maintain. Could it be turned into a decent tourer? By that I mean traded or sold for something better for touring. I would personaly credit card tour on it, but this guys WWII bedroll will not work. He got the bike a while ago, and has never ridden it. He just bought the pedals today.

Last edited by shipwreck; 09-01-11 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Spelling for the comfort of those who care.
Old 09-01-11, 12:52 AM
shouldberiding

Bikes: '08 Trek 7.3FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is just about the least ideal bicycle you could possibly choose for touring. Unless it's fully supported touring where you don't have to carry anything.

Pedals.

But then again maybe you're being humorous suggesting that one might use a beautiful titanium roadie like that for touring.
Old 09-01-11, 01:00 AM
shipwreck

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by shouldberiding
That is just about the least ideal bicycle you could possibly choose for touring. Unless it's fully supported touring where you don't have to carry anything.

Pedals.

But then again maybe you're being humorous suggesting that one might use a beautiful titanium roadie like that for touring.
Yeah, no kidding. I am asking if this bike is worth enough to finance the purchase of a tourer. Thats why I told him it would be a tragedy and I refused to help put a rack on it. I know old bikes, and touring bikes, but not the value of a bike like this one.

So let me rephrase the question. Any ideas how much could this bike bring? would it be enough to buy a used tourer? Just a ballpark on value, if anyone knows.

Last edited by shipwreck; 09-01-11 at 01:21 AM.
Old 09-01-11, 01:02 AM
justkeepedaling

Bikes: CAAD 10, Cervelo P2 SL, Focus RG-700, Quintana Roo #101

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry to be a little dense, but why the heck not?
Old 09-01-11, 01:05 AM
Elvo

Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Looks like DA7700 with Shimano R550 wheels? I'd say $700...didn't know Merlin engraved their frames.
Old 09-01-11, 01:24 AM
shouldberiding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shipwreck
Yeah, no kidding. I am asking if this bike is worth enough to finance the purchase of a tourer. Thats why I told him it would be a tragedy. I know old bikes, and touring bikes, but not the value of a bike like this one.

So let me rephrase the question. Any ideas how much could this bike bring? would it be enough to buy a used tourer? Just a ballpark on value, if anyone knows.
Ah. I misunderstood.

Well, after a search it looks like just the frameset alone retailed when new for at least $2000. I also found a listing for a NOS '08 Cyrene with Dura Ace but a different wheelset for $6,399.

I couldn't venture a guess as to what a fair price for that bike would be, but I should say that one could get a nice touring setup out of the deal. You said he got it a while ago. How much did he pay for it?
Old 09-01-11, 01:28 AM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by **********
Looks like DA7700 with Shimano R550 wheels? I'd say $700...didn't know Merlin engraved their frames.
From the description and pics it seems that bike is in pristine condition. I'm not sure what they market value if tht bike is but my guess is that $700.00US is a bit o the low side.

Old 09-01-11, 01:29 AM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by justkeepedaling
Because there are no drilled holes or braze-ons to attach a load bearing rack. AND once you did lash stuff to it would be tough to handle. The geometry isn't meant for touring.

Old 09-01-11, 01:35 AM
shouldberiding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Dopolina
Because there are no drilled holes or braze-ons to attach a load bearing rack. AND once you did lash stuff to it would be tough to handle. The geometry isn't meant for touring.
Plus, I bet popping spokes on low spoke count wheels like that sucks pretty hard. I can't imagine that would be a fun roadside repair, assuming you were carrying extras.
Old 09-01-11, 01:40 AM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Liked 25 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by justkeepedaling
Because the chainstays won't be long enough for panniers. Because a touring frame would give you much more stable steering with heavy loads. Because some touring frames like the Marinoni Turismo frame can take up to 45mm tires (they do sell frames). Even the cheap Nashbar touring frame can take 45mm tires.

Of course, 45mm is big. I'm now considering anything from 37mm to 42mm.

By the way, I sat on a Trek 520 and it was glorious. Too bad the bike shop did not allow test drives.
Old 09-01-11, 01:43 AM
shipwreck

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
This bike is indeed pristine. I got all hot and bothered when I picked it up. Almost makes me want a bike with brifters(Yeah, total retrogrouch friction downtube shifter guy here). The only thing is that the headset seems a bit stiff. I did not have time to look at it.
It was owned buy a guy who worked at the only shop I would ever let work on my stuff. He was a brilliant mechanic, but not so good with money. He gave this bike to my friend when he caught him skipping out on rent. It has been sitting in his storage room for about three years. I made sure that the tires were kept inflated, but thats it.
Honestly, when he brought it by, and told me he wants to "ride around camping on the coast on it for a few days" I almost crapped my pants. I told him about spoke counts, stay length, razor sharp handling that would be exhausting, pulled down all my tourers and randos to compare, let him ride a mountain bike(I am thinking about giving him a steel trek antelope that I toured on, just to save this bike) I had to tell him that a backpack was possible, anything is possible, but not advisable. I pretty much had him convinced after riding a couple of my bikes. The clincher was that my road is flint, and I pointed out that he could not ride the merlin on my road(I carry my delicate road bikes 3/4 mile to the pavement), but all my others were fine, and on tour, when stealth camping, you never know what you might have to ride on.

Ultimately it is his bike. He can melt it down for scrap if he wants. But I appreciate everyones input.

Last edited by shipwreck; 09-01-11 at 02:07 AM. Reason: my spelling is terrable
Old 09-01-11, 01:44 AM
fogrider

Bikes: Ron Cooper, Time VXSR, rock lobster, rock lobster, serotta, ritchey, kestrel, paramount

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think you're just trolling here...this is ti bike with da components and he never rode it? this should be a pretty nice riding bike. the real problem is the gearing. you can always get a 11x34 cassette, change the rear derailleur and slap a trailer on it and hit the road. https://www.rei.com/product/722504/bo...261-_-datafeed
Old 09-01-11, 01:49 AM
shouldberiding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fogrider
I think you're just trolling here...this is ti bike with da components and he never rode it?
Originally Posted by shipwreck
He gave this bike to my friend when he caught him skipping out on rent.
So you see, not Joe Uber-Cyclist. That explains why he didn't ride it. I guess that answers my "How much did he pay for it?" question too.
Old 09-01-11, 01:56 AM
shipwreck

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
So you see, not Joe Uber-Cyclist. That explains why he didn't ride it. I guess that answers my "How much did he pay for it?" question too.
Ok, did not really answer your question... The guy skipped out on three months rent, so about 1700 dollars or so...
Old 09-01-11, 02:00 AM
shipwreck

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by fogrider
I think you're just trolling here...this is ti bike with da components and he never rode it? this should be a pretty nice riding bike. the real problem is the gearing. you can always get a 11x34 cassette, change the rear derailleur and slap a trailer on it and hit the road. https://www.rei.com/product/722504/bo...261-_-datafeed
I discussed trailer options with him as well, and showed him my trailer, it was the first thing I thought of. But that was a bit intimidating to him. He is not a cyclist, but likes to camp. He knows that I tour a lot, and thought he would try it, thought hey, I have a bike, lets give it a go...
If I ever decide to troll, it will be a lot more fun and enraging a topic than this

Oh and the reason I will not buy it from him is I probably can't afford a fair price, he is a friend. Plus, I prefer triples and 40 spoke wheels, so while I find the bike sexy, its ultimately not my cup of tea.

Last edited by shipwreck; 09-01-11 at 02:05 AM.
Old 09-01-11, 02:06 AM
shouldberiding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You know, if he's just thinking about giving touring a try I'd look out for something cheap and used on Craiglist that has braze-ons for racks. A rigid mountain bike would work just fine. Put some slicks on there, a $20 rack, cheap panniers + plastic bags in case of rain. If he really likes it after that, I'd say look into a Surly Long Haul Trucker rig or something like that. It would be a shame to spend big money, since touring equipment can be a money pit, if he doesn't continue with it.

As far as the Merlin goes, it would be a shame for it not to be ridden. Tell him I'll give him 50 bucks for it.
Old 09-01-11, 05:31 AM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
He should tour with a friend who has a touring bike and will carry all his stuff.

You could do minimalist credit card touring on that bike, maybe get an Arkel Randonneur rack and a bag for the rear, handlebar bag for the front and don't stick any really heavy stuff into it. Just a change of clothes and toiletries, maybe a pair of sandals.

That bike looks to me to be worth more than $700.00.
Old 09-01-11, 07:32 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Liked 109 Times in 49 Posts
The only problem I see based on 40 years of touring experience is the tire size. I'd recommend 35mm or larger if you plan to load the bike. Why, because I've made many successful tours on skinnier tires, so it can be done. With that bike, I'd recommend using a trailer, keep the weight off the bike and have fun!

Marc
Old 09-01-11, 07:41 AM
big john

Liked 9,451 Times in 4,637 Posts
You could tour on it, or almost any bike depending on the load and gears you need. The last 5 day tour I did there were 8 of us and only 2 had touring bikes. 2 guys pulled a B.O.B. trailer, 1 with a Calfee and 1 with a Kestrel. 1 of the ladies rode a Moots with a seatpost rack and a backpack. This was credit card touring and the ladies were carrying around 20 pounds of stuff. So, 120 woman plus 20 equals an easy load for a race bike.
Old 09-01-11, 08:03 AM
Ratzinger
Buddy

Bikes: 80s Gardin. Green fixed-gear. POS mountain bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was thinking "what about a trailer?" and I see that irwin7638 mentioned it too. Is there a reason why it wouldn't be a good idea to just use one and tour with this bike?
Though it might be more comfortable to be on a more relaxed bike.
Old 09-01-11, 08:03 AM
JAJ0404

Bikes: 2004 Specialized Roubaix Comp 18

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
As far as the Merlin goes, it would be a shame for it not to be ridden. Tell him I'll give him 50 bucks for it.
I'll go halfsies with you for $25 - maybe we can create the first 'time share bike'.
Old 09-01-11, 08:07 AM
motobecane69
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
that bike is worth WAY more than 700 at least double that. he could sell it and get this https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/windsor/tourist.htm and have plenty left over.

or this
https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product..._10000__202339
Old 09-01-11, 08:17 AM
eippo1
I like beans

Bikes: Tarmac Pro, Bianchi Zurigo, Raleigh Gran Sport, Fuji Del Rey, Ironman Centurion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Seeing as a 13 year old Merlin Extralight just sold on ebay for 2K and this is a nicer bike (and more of a collector's item), I'd say he might be able to get $2500+ for it if he got the right buyer.
Old 09-01-11, 08:46 AM
Commodus

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
What the eff? If someone was selling that for $700 locally, I would buy it in half a heartbeat. It's gorgeous.

I'd tour on it, too. Put one of those big seatbags on it, make sure the credit card balance is at zero, and head off! Hell yeah.
Old 09-01-11, 09:29 AM
shipwreck

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
To everyone with suggestions on how to tour on this bike, thank you, but that was not really the point. This guy is not going to buy a carridice and stay in B&Bs. he has an old ten pound tent and an army surplus bag. He will probably want to take cans of soup and a lawn chair. I am actualy serious about that.

IF he decided to sell it, then it sounds like it could fund his whole trip, including a more user friendly bike, one with more spokes and bigger tires. This guy needs to take a bike that is waterproof and chewable. And as his friend, I want him to be comfortable, safe, and enjoy himself. I am not pressuring him to sell it, but told him that I would ask its possible value of people more likely to know than myself, and I thank you all. I did do some searches, but don't really know what depreciation would be from new.

My opinion is that this is not a Fisher Price my first touring bike. I put him on it last night because I had to teach him how to shift. I watched him wobble around my driveway on several really easy bikes. Thinking about him at speed with any load or even a trailer on a bike as aggresive as this makes me fear for his safety, and after riding it this morning, he agrees. The handling terrified him.

Last edited by shipwreck; 09-01-11 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Sort of sounded like a jerk before so I changed it.:o

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.