Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

MF TZ06 bearing count help?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-19, 12:00 PM
WildRalph

Bikes: '85 Le tour Luxe, Puch Mixtie, Raleigh Gran Sport, Mystery Machine

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

Does anyone know the inner/outer ball bearing count for a Shimano MF TZ06 freewheel from around 1985, off the top of their head? Or a reference to find such information. Is there a search tool on B.F
For old threads? Was careful during removal, but apparently not careful enuff. I have recovered 66 total, 1/8th" i believe. I've seen other shimano hub info. Saying like 39/31. My count (66) suggests 39/27, or some other combo variation. Once 2 or 3 fall out, and your not sure which side they came from, your screwed. Unsure if the, "fill the race -remove one" rule applies here. Thanks.
Old 08-11-19, 12:20 PM
WildRalph

Found the search tool! Apparently, if you go to the home page, the big magnifying glass is a dead give-away! Didnt turn up anything on bearing count, tho.
Old 08-11-19, 01:43 PM
WildRalph

Figured out you can calculate circumference, adjust dia. for half a ball bearing width x2, and cumpute the # of ball bearings. Minus one, suggests 31 outer, 39 inner.
Likes For WildRalph:
Old 08-11-19, 05:41 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1950 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 1,110 Posts
I usually fill the races up and take one out. Often, I don't have enough because some escaped. I can often use the ones in a "left over parts bowl" that were found on the floor -- having escaped from a previous FW or headset rebuild.

Someone will have the exact count shortly. And then you can count them. And count them again...
Old 08-11-19, 06:50 PM
WildRalph

Thanks, Classtime! "Parts Bowl!?!?" That kind of talk will get you in trouble with the ball bearing police! Lol. Seriously tho, pretty confident in the math, and the numbers are in keeping with what i have seen on the web for a similar freewheel. No idea where those little buggers go. Like socks teleporting to another dimension in the dryer.
Old 08-12-19, 10:32 AM
WildRalph

I did find an interesting old B.F. Thread. A good read regarding bearing counts, spacing, etc. On these Shimano MF-TZ freewheels. Too dumb to know how to link it. Title: "Shimano MF-TZ 07 Freewhel Bearings," posted by "johnc19" on 1/3/18. Found it on Google, could not pull it up on B.F. search tool, i'm sure i am not doing it correctly.
Old 08-12-19, 01:12 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
Originally Posted by WildRalph
Thanks, Classtime! "Parts Bowl!?!?" That kind of talk will get you in trouble with the ball bearing police! Lol. Seriously tho, pretty confident in the math, and the numbers are in keeping with what i have seen on the web for a similar freewheel. No idea where those little buggers go. Like socks teleporting to another dimension in the dryer.
Those lone socks go missing when wrinkled clothes get whipped into shape before/after being in the drier. They fly out of shirts or shorts and land on top of cabinets, behind the drier, etc.
Dry socks are a potential fire hazard if they land on an incandescent light fixture.
Also dogs sometimes will carry a sock off, especially a dirty one, they like them for company it seems.

As for the bearing count, freewheels don't even need a full compliment of bearings, so one or three missing is of no consequence and I always leave space for at least two.

Last edited by dddd; 08-12-19 at 01:16 PM.