Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Is it safe to cycle on radioactive roads?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Is it safe to cycle on radioactive roads?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-23, 05:01 AM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 183 Posts
Eventually the paved surface will break down, this will begin within a matter of months, it does with every road. Then you have fine particles of aggregate which become airborne. Feel free to take chances with airborne particles of Uranium and Radium. You don't have to worry about riding on the roads any more than you have to worry about being near the roads and breathing, or being downwind. You may not want to drink the water after a few years. Buy the ticket, take the ride.
Old 05-12-23, 07:05 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by PhilFo
Eventually the paved surface will break down, this will begin within a matter of months, it does with every road. Then you have fine particles of aggregate which become airborne. Feel free to take chances with airborne particles of Uranium and Radium. You don't have to worry about riding on the roads any more than you have to worry about being near the roads and breathing, or being downwind. You may not want to drink the water after a few years. Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Really way too much speculation there to address in a cycling forum. The notion that the trace amounts of radium and uranium in the aggregate would be in such concentration that you'd inhale particles of it while riding or even living close to the road is extremely far-fetched. No idea about the water contamination, although the phosphate remaining in the aggregate appears to be the bigger problem there as you're essentially putting fertilizer into the water, hello algae, etc. The stuff clearly incudes too much radium to be used in building construction, but that's because of the tendency of radon gas to accumulate within structures. That gas would obviously dissipate from roads long before it reached any concerning levels.

A sensible discussion of this is going to require insight into whether the fertilizer of this kind should continue to be produced, and knowledge of how the impact of putting this stuff on roads compares with other methods of disposal/use.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-12-23, 07:31 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5787 Post(s)
Liked 2,580 Times in 1,430 Posts
Nothing here is about bicycling.

I'm not taking a position on the issue, except to say that it's about pollution and the environment, and this isn't the place to argue it.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 05-12-23, 08:15 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by FBinNY

I'm not taking a position on the issue, except to say that it's about pollution and the environment, and this isn't the place to argue it.

Even worse, it's about agriculture, pollution and the environment.

I know exactly enough about these subjects to know that no one should care about my opinion on them, and yeah, definitely not cycling-related in any significant way.
Old 05-12-23, 08:43 AM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

There is no low threshold for safe exposure to Uranium or Radium particulate. Paved surfaces wear down, they literally turn to dust over time. That’s all.
Old 05-12-23, 09:17 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

There is no low threshold for safe exposure to Uranium or Radium particulate. Paved surfaces wear down, they literally turn to dust over time. That’s all.

If that's true, never allow yourself to be exposed to sea water. That contains trace uranium and radium, and it tends to get blown into mist that can be inhaled.

The fact that you would make such an absolute statement tells us you really don't know much about this. Having an absolute zero threshold is not possible for pretty much any building material that involves any extraction. Maybe you're getting confused with plutonium which does not form naturally on earth and is one hell of a lot more radioactive?

I think you're making the case that this is not a forum suitable for or competent at discussing this question reasonably.

Last edited by livedarklions; 05-12-23 at 09:26 AM.
Old 05-12-23, 10:05 AM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Congratulate yourself for finding a little pedantic nugget of information to contradict my statement.
Regardless, Uranium is very toxic even if it emits safe levels of radiation (yes, Plutonium, more so). This is why the military and the VA have a registry for members who have been exposed to DU and the DU aftermath (looking at destroyed vehicles).
Anyway, I’m out. Feel free to continue at your leisure.
Old 05-12-23, 11:14 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Congratulate yourself for finding a little pedantic nugget of information to contradict my statement.
Regardless, Uranium is very toxic even if it emits safe levels of radiation (yes, Plutonium, more so). This is why the military and the VA have a registry for members who have been exposed to DU and the DU aftermath (looking at destroyed vehicles).
Anyway, I’m out. Feel free to continue at your leisure.
I really resent that "pedantic nugget" accusation. I didn't choose for you to post your obvious misinformation, you did. It was trivially easy to refute it, and I could have chosen any number of natural exposures that happen all the time. The point is this is low-level concentrations that are just above background exposure by a little bit and that whatever small amount of uranium and/or radium does get emitted is likely to be so diluted as to pose no real risk.. You're not going to get a toxic exposure by riding a bike on it, it's absurd. The article noted that the environmentalists are centering their claims on the possible effects on construction workers, which seems rather logical as they're the ones who would be scattering the stuff, jackhammering it, etc.

You do understand that blowing up a vehicle partially constructed of depleted uranium armor is spreading a hell of a lot more uranium at much higher concentration than anything that could be done with this material? You're comparing blowing up material that is 100% uranium (the armor) to something that contains trace amounts of the element. You are obviously googling things and interpreting them rather absurdly.

I'm not arguing one way or the other for its use or nonuse. I'm just pointing out that it isn't a slam dunk like you're trying to make it.
Old 05-12-23, 11:28 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 966 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 1,045 Posts
Is the future going to show a need for one of these...

amazon

Thing is that by the time it goes off... ITS TOO LATE... Ha
Old 05-12-23, 11:49 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by zandoval
Is the future going to show a need for one of these...

amazon

Thing is that by the time it goes off... ITS TOO LATE... Ha

Desperate attempt to make this cycling relevant:

Is there a device to mount it on your handlebars?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-12-23, 11:58 AM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Old 05-12-23, 01:01 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Careful what you put on it!

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/pin...alt-an-update/
Old 05-12-23, 03:26 PM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3773 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 790 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Seriously, this is definitely not the forum for a big debate on the green revolution.
Then why do you keep posting on this thread? Rhetorical

https://www.bikeforums.net/misc.php?...sted&t=1272106

Old 05-12-23, 06:48 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts

From the broader perspective, the safety of road surfaces is certainly of interest to cyclists in Florida who ride on these roads.

It may well be that the opinions expressed here are ill informed. And many are tongue in cheek. It's an internet discussion, that's the nature of the beast. But pointless though it may be, it is related to bicycling.
Old 05-15-23, 12:02 AM
tungsten

Bikes: 1962 Cinelli Mod. "B" / 1988 Bailey 531c /2 - '92 Rocky Vertexs' / Obed Baseline / Transition Scout/ Raleigh Willard

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 41 Posts
+ Three decades the EPA banned a radioactive, cancer-causing material called phosphogypsum for use in road construction. Now Florida Republicans have passed a bill to bring it back.
Likes For tungsten:
Old 05-15-23, 06:19 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,971 Times in 1,918 Posts
Originally Posted by tungsten
...+ Three decades the EPA banned a radioactive, cancer-causing material called phosphogypsum for use in road construction. Now Florida Republicans have passed a bill to bring it back. .....
exactly...
Old 05-15-23, 09:33 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Quote:
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
Seriously, this is definitely not the forum for a big debate on the green revolution.

Originally Posted by work4bike
Then why do you keep posting on this thread? Rhetorical

https://www.bikeforums.net/misc.php?...sted&t=1272106

Because people keep trying to debate things that have virtually nothing to do with cycling. Why do you think that disqualifies me from posting on the thread to note that? Rhetorical, it doesn't.

Nice try, though.
Old 05-15-23, 09:43 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by jon c.
From the broader perspective, the safety of road surfaces is certainly of interest to cyclists in Florida who ride on these roads.

It may well be that the opinions expressed here are ill informed. And many are tongue in cheek. It's an internet discussion, that's the nature of the beast. But pointless though it may be, it is related to bicycling.

The concerns with this particular material are groundwater contamination and health hazards to the crews working with it. There appears to be no assertion by anyone familiar with this issue that this material puts users of the road (drivers, cyclists, passengers, pedestrians) at risk of anything due to their use of the road.

If this is considered "related to bicycling", pretty much any ecological policy would be as we do ride our bikes in the environment.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-15-23, 11:02 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
But pointless though it may be, it is related to bicycling.
If the OP's issue is considered "related to bicycling", pretty much any issue or policy (social, financial, environmental, political, religious, etc.) would be "related to bicycling" as we ride our bikes in all these realms.
Old 05-15-23, 06:26 PM
jon c. 

Originally Posted by livedarklions
The concerns with this particular material are groundwater contamination and health hazards to the crews working with it. There appears to be no assertion by anyone familiar with this issue that this material puts users of the road (drivers, cyclists, passengers, pedestrians) at risk of anything due to their use of the road.

If this is considered "related to bicycling", pretty much any ecological policy would be as we do ride our bikes in the environment.
If it actually poses a health hazard to crews working with it, I'd certainly prefer not to ride or walk on the surface. I'd want to know a good deal more and have input from a variety of sources before discounting any potential for danger. I don't actually know enough about it to have an opinion one way or the other, but the State assuring me it was safe wouldn't actually provide that much assurance.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 05-15-23, 07:47 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

If it actually poses a health hazard to crews working with it, I'd certainly prefer not to ride or walk on the surface. I'd want to know a good deal more and have input from a variety of sources before discounting any potential for danger. I don't actually know enough about it to have an opinion one way or the other, but the State assuring me it was safe wouldn't actually provide that much assurance.
There's a world of difference in exposure level between working with a toxic material, and the incidental exposure you'd see as a driver or cyclist.

One specific concern is radon, which is a gas and would blow off the road virtually instantly. The other concern to road users might be dust, but these are heavy metals and the dust unlikely to stay aloft.

So, while there are legitimate concerns in a general environmental sense, there's no specific issues for cyclists.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 05-15-23, 08:46 PM
jon c. 

There's a world of difference in exposure level between working with a toxic material, and the incidental exposure you'd see as a driver or cyclist.

One specific concern is radon, which is a gas and would blow off the road virtually instantly. The other concern to road users might be dust, but these are heavy metals and the dust unlikely to stay aloft.

So, while there are legitimate concerns in a general environmental sense, there's no specific issues for cyclists.
The OP's subject article certainly doesn't give me that level of assurance. One concern is radon, but it isn't clear that is the sole concern. The State hasn't even concluded it's own study and frankly I have little reason to have faith in their conclusions. The federal EPA hasn't weighed in.

Of course levels of exposure may be vastly different. But based on the information in this thread we don't know what levels of what byproducts might be problematic. If it passes federal EPA muster I would agree there is no concern.

I don't know enough at this point to think that it would pose a danger to cyclists. But I don't know enough to be sure that it would not. With the information currently available I don't see how any conclusion could be reached.
Old 05-15-23, 09:42 PM
FBinNY 

The OP's subject article certainly doesn't give me that level of assurance. One concern is radon, but it isn't clear that is the sole concern. The State hasn't even concluded it's own study and frankly I have little reason to have faith in their conclusions. The federal EPA hasn't weighed in.

Of course levels of exposure may be vastly different. But based on the information in this thread we don't know what levels of what byproducts might be problematic. If it passes federal EPA muster I would agree there is no concern.

I don't know enough at this point to think that it would pose a danger to cyclists. But I don't know enough to be sure that it would not. With the information currently available I don't see how any conclusion could be reached.
As I said, as a local drinking the water, od maybe eating local produce, I'd be concerned and want to know lots more. But as a cyclist, even one riding those roads daily, I'd rank any added risk so low as to not matter.

This is another example of worrying about the wrong things. We get worked up about all sorts of identifiable risks like this, yet slowly kill ourselves by diet and lifestyle.

FWIW I live in an older home with a concrete foundation, so I've been breathing radon for 40 plus years. A castly greater exposure than riding on a road like this could ever cause.

Old 05-15-23, 11:39 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
how smooth and buttery is it cycling on '23's? asking for a friend. it would hafta be the best scenery and pavement ever to bother visiting that underwater (very currently pending) state. considering the high point of said state is in the thereabouts of 342 feet, waay too many hoops to jump/ride through to drunkenly consider. warm during the winter but so is hell. nuff said.

Last edited by diphthong; 05-15-23 at 11:49 PM.
Old 05-16-23, 05:11 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Sorry, but I really think you're in "we should discuss NASA's plans for asteroid defense here because there's a nonzero chance that I could get hit by a meteorite while riding" territory.

No one here is competent to answer the basic questions you raise on this forum and I would suggest it makes a lot of sense to tell people to look elsewhere for answers rather than opening this forum for debates on the entire planet's agricultural system and other big proposals people have been trying to smuggle in here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.