Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

So now we have to look out for motorcycles too?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-09, 10:53 PM
droobieinop

Bikes: jamis xenith comp '08, trek 750 hybrid (w/drops) c.1995, centurian fixie, kona cindercone mtb c.2000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here are two articles about a bicyclist that was killed by a motorcyclist. This happended within a few miles from home, but not someone that I think I know. The comments following the first article are typical of what we face around these neck o' da' woods.
https://www.news4jax.com/news/2037638...mment-14821802
https://jacksonville.com/community/my...ounty_accident

Sorry no more to say for now (its past my bed time and I'd gotten distracted by the comments), discuss it amoungst yourselves.
Old 08-13-09, 11:03 PM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
I for one haven't had any real issues with motorcyclists. I did have some teenagers riding street/dirt motorcycles pass me a few weeks back, and one made a pedaling motion with his feet as he went by, other than that, motorcyclists have been respectful toward me.
Old 08-13-09, 11:42 PM
jspeezy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh man. That's terrible. Given the time of day that I ride, mid AM, I usually don't see many motorcycles for whatever reason. I ride all over Orlando and I can tell you that there is no love lost for cyclists. Florida is one hell of a place to drive a car let alone a bike. It really seems like a horribly unfortunate incident. There could have been so many factors. But in the end, in this state at least, the responsibility lies with the motorcycle. If it were two cars the one coming up from behind would be at fault. Unless of course the biker was right on top of Mr. Coulter when Anthony made his move. It's tragic.

PS- Don't have a link, but I caught a thread on here about a cyclist in the UK that was jailed for hitting and killing a pedestrian. It's like a f***in food chain, and I don't like my chances.
Old 08-13-09, 11:44 PM
sd_mike
Cyclocross - Go anywhere!

Bikes: 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0, 2008 Fuji Cross Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Screw motorcyclists. Tell them to get there fat arse off the bike and actually work to get up hills. I had some jackass do that "pedaling" thing while I was climbing a rather steep mountain pass. They are, well, quite stupid. It just gives me less reason to respect them or give them any room out there while driving. If their self esteem needs that much a boost, they truly are worthless in-duh-viduals. I've seen too many driving in bike lanes, parking on sidewalks - even locking to a BICYCLE rack, driving on the shoulder... I even had one turn in front of me and then tell me to "chill".

Last edited by sd_mike; 08-13-09 at 11:49 PM.
Old 08-13-09, 11:51 PM
jspeezy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's why I keep a pocket full of pennies. It straightens 'em right out. I don't take too kindly to mocking.
Old 08-13-09, 11:54 PM
jspeezy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My favorite is catching one of these "pedaling" MFers at a light. **** changes when the can't speed away.
Old 08-13-09, 11:56 PM
Joe_Mo
Still Believes In Joy

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail, GT Force

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
its really just so ignorant

"he shouldnt have been crossing with oncoming traffic!"

you gotta be a real idiot to pull something like that, ofcourse the cyclist waited untill it was clear, tried to cross, and BAM speeding motorcyclist.....................
Old 08-14-09, 06:25 AM
JohnBrooking
Commuter

Bikes: 2006 Giant Cypress EX (7-speed internal hub)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What do you mean, "now"?
Old 08-14-09, 08:28 AM
Mr Danw

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I don't think it is about looking for motorcycles as much as it is about looking before turning into traffic.
Old 08-14-09, 09:35 AM
Zachee
DRUNKDRIVER

Bikes: Kilo TT custom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I admit I have the stereotypical view of people who ride motorcycles.Even though really the only negative thing that has happened to me is last year during the harley 105 anniversary some guy called me sally (haha).

So the other day I was riding down this faster road that runs along the lake, pretty much as fast as I could in the headwind. Mostly because I don't want to get run over by some guy going 45. So this motorcycle pulls up next to me and the guy is saying something and I'm thinking oh man what the hell is he going to say to me and I start to hear him and hes saying "pick it up, pick it up, pick it up". I couldn't stop laughing, that was awesome.
Old 08-14-09, 10:35 AM
jspeezy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zachee
I admit I have the stereotypical view of people who ride motorcycles.Even though really the only negative thing that has happened to me is last year during the harley 105 anniversary some guy called me sally (haha).

So the other day I was riding down this faster road that runs along the lake, pretty much as fast as I could in the headwind. Mostly because I don't want to get run over by some guy going 45. So this motorcycle pulls up next to me and the guy is saying something and I'm thinking oh man what the hell is he going to say to me and I start to hear him and hes saying "pick it up, pick it up, pick it up". I couldn't stop laughing, that was awesome.
That rules.
Old 08-15-09, 12:01 AM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dynodonn
I for one haven't had any real issues with motorcyclists. I did have some teenagers riding street/dirt motorcycles pass me a few weeks back, and one made a pedaling motion with his feet as he went by, other than that, motorcyclists have been respectful toward me.
Same here. I was out yesterday and, a motorcycle shared the lane with me, at a light. I didn't like the fact that he did it. But, He wasn't bringing about the end of civilization as we know it.
Old 08-15-09, 12:09 AM
anticlimbactic
road plague

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sport bikes around here seem to like to buzz me and rev the engine really high right as they pass, regardless of which direction they're going... Looking for the "startle" but it just doesn't phase me.

You would think that motorcyclists would share our feelings on sharing the road...
Old 08-15-09, 06:50 AM
Skivvy9r

Bikes: Trek Allant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sd_mike
Screw motorcyclists. ... They are, well, quite stupid. It just gives me less reason to respect them or give them any room out there while driving. If their self esteem needs that much a boost, they truly are worthless in-duh-viduals.
More hate, a product of ignorance and stupidity.
Old 08-15-09, 01:49 PM
sd_mike
Cyclocross - Go anywhere!

Bikes: 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0, 2008 Fuji Cross Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
More hate true, but a product of experience. While bicycles can do similar things as motorcycles, the end result of things gone bad is usually worse on motorcycles, sometimes leading to other people getting killed. Those on motorcycles that have no regard for others lives don't deserve ANY respect. Again, as stated by a previous individual, you would think that motorcyclists would share our feelings on sharing the road.
Old 08-15-09, 02:28 PM
Skivvy9r

Bikes: Trek Allant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sd_mike
More hate true, but a product of experience. While bicycles can do similar things as motorcycles, the end result of things gone bad is usually worse on motorcycles, sometimes leading to other people getting killed. Those on motorcycles that have no regard for others lives don't deserve ANY respect. Again, as stated by a previous individual, you would think that motorcyclists would share our feelings on sharing the road.
Any time you paint an entire class of people with the same brush you're guaranteed to get it wrong, whether it's their religion, their skin color, or their mode of transportation. Many bikers do share the feelings of cyclists with regard to sharing the road. But it's a large group of folks and some will not. If all your experiences with bikers have been negative, spend some time in front of a mirror.
Old 08-15-09, 02:41 PM
Mitchxout

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skivvy9r
any time you paint an entire class of people with the same brush you're guaranteed to get it wrong, whether it's their religion, their skin color, or their mode of transportation. Many bikers do share the feelings of cyclists with regard to sharing the road. But it's a large group of folks and some will not. If all your experiences with bikers have been negative, spend some time in front of a mirror.
+1
Old 08-15-09, 03:09 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
So far bikers have been cool to me. Several times already, when a light turns green, they have ridden beside me (when I ride quickly) and given me smiles. The ones in all their leather seem to be the coolest.
Old 08-15-09, 07:55 PM
mandovoodoo
Violin guitar mandolin

Bikes: Wilier Thor, Fuji Professional, LeMond Wayzata

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SD mike and probably others seem quite as polarized as they cast others to be. Quite silly and uncalled for. Quite a few of us ride both, I imagine, just as most of us cycle and drive autos.

From my experience, very few motorcyclists intentionally harass cyclists. Certainly a little foot pedaling action hardly counts. At least the fellow saw you!! Buzzing - well. That's stupid. The fellow moving 50 is going to get lots more hurt than the fellow doing 15 if there's a little clip.

I might as well ask why cyclists are so rude; few of them return my wave or salute when I'm on a moto.

This accident seems like a variation on a dart out. Cyclist from shoulder swings across traffic and gets hit by motorcyclist alleged to be speeding. Was the motorcyclist speeding? We don't know. Even if he was, did that contribute to the collision? Again, we don't know. People fail to see cyclists and motorcyclists all the time. Cyclist could have just overlooked the motorcyclist and turned in front of him.

And hairnet, those of us in leather or armored cordura are indeed the coolest motorcyclists. Especially compared to those getting skin grafts!!

It is pretty funny. When I'm cycling I talk to the motorcyclists and they act funny at first, and vice versa. The funniest thing is to roll up to the Harley dealership or something or other on my road bike in full gear. Hysterical to watch! Separates the bikers from the posers. The bikers think my carbon bling bike is cool. The posers turn up their noses.
Old 08-15-09, 08:06 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I generally have no issue with motorcycles; get more respect from other two-wheelers than I ever do from car drivers. We even have a chuckle most times: "OK, yours is faster, but I get better mileage!" (One smartazz wanted to be cute: "Mine sounds better, too." Big whoop.)

This whole incident sounds like two people in the wrong place at the wrong time; blame is pretty trivial.

Last edited by DX-MAN; 08-15-09 at 08:09 PM. Reason: my dumbness
Old 08-15-09, 08:38 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,705 Times in 2,524 Posts
I also get a lot of revved motors just as they pass, don't know what that's about. I could do without it. You have to look out for everyone. As much as I feel endangered by motorists, cyclists are also dangerous.
Old 08-15-09, 10:45 PM
droobieinop

Bikes: jamis xenith comp '08, trek 750 hybrid (w/drops) c.1995, centurian fixie, kona cindercone mtb c.2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My general experience is that, like anything else there are good and bad. Around here, a stone's throw from the accident, we have many different types a motorcyclists. Too many ride in shorts and flip flops without helmets on cruisers/choppers and crotch rockets. I love seeing the guys going by with their girls on the back and only one with a helmet. It makes you wonder how that went down, "Get on the back, and no I'm not wearing that helmet." Or maybe "Lets go to bike night, I'm not wearing a helmet, its not far and I don't want to muss my hair."

Anyway, I haven't had any more problems with motorcycles than other motorists. The annoyances have been pretty evenly shared, except that many of the cruiser/chopper rider don't have mufflers (loud pipes make me wanna play RoadRage) and even if they approach respectfully they often throttle up as they pass at a blaring volume (if not speed).

As for the accident above, it has come through the neighborhood grapevine that Culter was a pedestrial on a bicycle and the motorcycle swung out from behind a car at a section of a 6 lane road that goes out of suburbia and the speed limit increases from 45-55. Now why this guy was riding a bike down the shoulder needing to make an unregulated left, when there is a controlled intersection just back up the road, is beyond me.

As to the speed of the motorcycle, it has been said by known leos that it was excessive. Granted, I've not heard that directly from those involved with the investigation
Old 08-16-09, 04:22 AM
12bar

Bikes: Specialized, Felt, Surly, Masi,Giant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In my experience there are "bikers" and then there are "motorcyclists" Just like there are people who ride bicycles and then there are "Cyclists", I happen to belong to the Cyclist and Motorcyclist group. The difference is, I know what I am doing on either two wheeled vehicle and am constantly on the lookout for anyone or anything that could take me off my bike regardless of which one I am on. I also wear all the gear all the time (ATGAT) when on my motorcycle, dress for the crash not the ride. When some one finds out I ride a motorcycle the first thing they usually ask is what kind of Harley do I ride. Much to their surprise HD is not the only motorcycle on the road. The general public either thinks of us as leather wearing wanna be bad asses or dare devils on crotch rockets. Neither is necessarily accurate just as not all bicycle riders are drunks without a drivers license or spandex wearing racers. The bottom line is as long as there are people on two wheels sharing the road some of them will give the rest of us a bad name so let's not generalize either group, not all of us fit either stereotype. Oh yeah FWIW I have a lot more miles on bicycles than I do motorcycles and have been riding both for a very long time. I am sorry to hear about both riders going down and the death of the cyclist, it was clearly operator error on the part of the motorcycle my thoughts and prayers are with both families.

Last edited by 12bar; 08-16-09 at 04:29 AM.
Old 08-16-09, 08:30 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
A couple of days ago I had a motorcyclist rev his engine loudly when he was along side me, but it was not intended for me. We were both going down a slightly inclined roadway close together at about 30 mph, when a motorist pulled out in front of us both.

We both hit the brakes hard since the motorist took their time getting across the road, and the motorcyclist revved his engine, while looking a the motorist, to show his displeasure. Since I'm prepared for this type of incident on a daily basis, it was just another reflex action on my part, and even if I did yell at the motorist, it would have been a mute point.(literally, the Harley's twin pipes were not factory ones)
Old 08-16-09, 11:50 AM
Kevrob
Eternal Newbie

Bikes: Univega Trail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wiped out bicycling on the road the other day. Two people stopped to help me. One, driving his company's delivery truck, rides MTBs. The other fellow, in an SUV, was wearing Harley colors.

OTOH, I just took a ride with my brother in his car on the Merritt Parkway. Lane-splitting isn't legal in Connecticut, but there were two dimbulbs on riceburners passing everybody by weaving on either side of the lane lines. Jerks.

Moral: There's good and bad examples in every group.

Kevin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.