Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What kind of mileage are you getting out of your rear tires?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-23, 02:10 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts

Over the last few years, I've constantly been getting 2500kms out of my rear tires. So far, I've tried 3 different brands and they all ended up squaring around 2000kms (1250mi) and wires showing after 2500kms (1550mi). The most distance I managed to get out of one (Schwalbe Pro One TLE) was 3000kms (1860mi) and it ended with a flat due to being shot, which is still less than its claimed lifespan.

*2018: Giant Gavia
*2019: Cadex Race
*2020-2022: Schwalbe Pro One TLE
*2023: Cadex Race

I am a medium heavy rider (170lbs / 77kg) that rides on fairly clean tarmac the majority of the time. Pressure is checked and adjusted before each ride (currently running 70PSI on 28mm - tubeless setup on hookless rims. Ran 80PSI on tubeless 25mm prior to that and 100PSI on tubed 25mm before).

My conclusion is that getting 2500kms out of a rear tire is normal. I am wondering if there are any riders here (similar weight, setup and tarmac condition) who are getting more mileage out of their rear ones?

Last edited by eduskator; 08-20-23 at 02:13 PM.
Old 08-20-23, 02:20 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
Over the last few years, I've constantly been getting 2500kms out of my rear tires. So far, I've tried 3 different brands and they all ended up squaring around 2000kms (1250mi) and wires showing after 2500kms (1550mi). The most distance I managed to get out of one (Schwalbe Pro One TLE) was 3000kms (1860mi) and it ended with a flat due to being shot, which is still less than its claimed lifespan.

*2018: Giant Gavia
*2019: Cadex Race
*2020-2022: Schwalbe Pro One TLE
*2023: Cadex Race

I am a medium heavy rider (170lbs / 77kg) that rides on fairly clean tarmac the majority of the time. Pressure is checked and adjusted before each ride (currently running 70PSI on 28mm - tubeless setup on hookless rims. Ran 80PSI on tubeless 25mm prior to that and 100PSI on tubed 25mm before).

My conclusion is that getting 2500kms out of a rear tire is normal. I am wondering if there are any riders here (similar weight, setup and tarmac condition) who are getting more mileage out of their rear ones?
I am very similar to you. 165 lbs, ride on mostly good pavement. I recently replaced a Schwalbe Pro 1 tubeless, which I ran at around 60 PSI but didn’t check religiously. I used it until cords just started to show, and I got something like 4000 miles out of it. Not sure what’s going on with yours. Do you skid your rear wheel?
Old 08-20-23, 02:42 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
I ride on decent pavement and use Conti GP 5000. I ride them about 1800 mile ( 169 pounds me) miles then rotate the rear to front as long as the rear has no issues. Then I just ride them till they wear out. I easily get 4-5200 miles not km on them. I think because I don't live in the mountains a generally try to ride smoother roads. Sheldon said not to rotate tires but frankly I do because then I wear a set out even or close. Then if the front still has a bit of life, I keep it for a spare and eventually use it on the trainer. Believe me you can get flat on the trainer too by going too long..
Old 08-20-23, 02:55 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,064 Times in 4,483 Posts
I'm 200 pounds and I get similar mileage to the OP. GP 5000 @ 100psi.
I think tire wear has a lot to do with climbing and hard cornering, in addition to rider weight.

The first time I did a long tour I was surprised when the rear tire wore through @1000 miles. My total load was 275ish pounds. I didn't pack a spare tire and had to boot it until we got to a town where I could buy a tire. The casing distorted and it had a weird "S" shape section in it.
Likes For big john:
Old 08-20-23, 04:12 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 523 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by deacon mark
eventually use it on the trainer. Believe me you can get flat on the trainer too by going too long..
I got flats on the trainer last winter from getting cabin fever and riding the bike out on the road and then only wiping the rear tire down before throwing it back on the trainer. Doesn't take long for the trainer to grind in a piece of rock or glass haha.

Back to mileage though, barring anything weird happening to the tire like broken threads, I average around 5000 miles on the rear. I used to run strictly Vittorio's but am trying out a couple of Corsa Flex this year that were take offs from a new bike at an LBS and very cheap. I can tell already that I'm going to see fewer miles on them from the amount of wear and I barely have 3000 miles on them (rear). The front still looks good, but you can see some wear there too. I ride up and down hills but mostly flat land and smooth pavement. 20# bike and 150# rider. HTH
Old 08-20-23, 05:10 PM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 234 Posts
Maybe we have different replacement criteria. I usually wait until the wear dimples are almost, but not quite gone. That said, Conti 4000 or 5000 last me well over 5000 miles.

The specs: mostly good roads, 90psi, I weigh 142 lbs.

I typically change tires early in the Spring, worn or not, as a yearly refresh.
Likes For bblair:
Old 08-20-23, 05:16 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22608 Post(s)
Liked 8,929 Times in 4,161 Posts
Originally Posted by bblair
Maybe we have different replacement criteria. I usually wait until the wear dimples are almost, but not quite gone. That said, Conti 4000 or 5000 last me well over 5000 miles.

Same here.

Obviously YMMV.
Old 08-20-23, 05:29 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 265 Posts
Originally Posted by deacon mark
I ride on decent pavement and use Conti GP 5000. I ride them about 1800 mile ( 169 pounds me) miles then rotate the rear to front as long as the rear has no issues. Then I just ride them till they wear out. I easily get 4-5200 miles not km on them. I think because I don't live in the mountains a generally try to ride smoother roads. Sheldon said not to rotate tires but frankly I do because then I wear a set out even or close. Then if the front still has a bit of life, I keep it for a spare and eventually use it on the trainer. Believe me you can get flat on the trainer too by going too long..
I used to rotate 'em like you, but determined that we actually get more overall tire mileage by simply swapping out the rear for a new one.
And we avoid riding around with a slightly squared-off front!
My tire of choice, these days, is the Michelin Pro Endurance. Always less than 2,000 rear miles, unless I space and ride until the cords show.
Sometimes I find out with a mid-ride puncture. From my experience, softer rubber stops and corners better.
Old 08-20-23, 06:25 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,064 Times in 4,483 Posts
Maybe we have different replacement criteria. I usually wait until the wear dimples are almost, but not quite gone.
I wait until the cords are starting to show.
Likes For big john:
Old 08-20-23, 06:31 PM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
Originally Posted by roadcrankr
I used to rotate 'em like you, but determined that we actually get more overall tire mileage by simply swapping out the rear for a new one.
And we avoid riding around with a slightly squared-off front!
Yup. Just ordered a new rear in anticipation of needing to replace. Tread depth dots near gone.
Old 08-20-23, 07:02 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
When my rear is worn out, I always move the front tire to the rear, then replace the front with a new tire. Otherwise, the front lasts for years and years, accumulating cuts and cracking.

My rear GP5000 still had very shallow wear indicator pits, so there was a slight bit of tread left. But in slanting light, I could see the thread weave for the tire carcass under the minimal remaining tread. I don't track miles, but it's usually 3500-4000 miles. I do about 45-60 feet per mile of climbing on rides, but I don't need to stand on many of the climbs. That's easier on the tires.

I ride with a few riders that can crank out high wattage. I can hear the tires when they take off from a stop. That's got to wear out tires and chains too.

Spinning high cadence, rarely sprinting to catch other riders: high mileage.
Sprinting with big watts, grinding a very low cadence, lots of steep hills, very rough roads, or leaning into fast turns: low mileage.
Old 08-20-23, 08:40 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
i get 2,000-2,500 miles on a rear 28-32mm GP5000 S TR. 200lb total load including bike, lots of climbing, approx 200w average power over the full set of miles. mix of urban and rural roads.

front lasts around twice as long.
Old 08-20-23, 09:14 PM
msalvetti

Bikes: 2021 Trek FX Sport 4, ~1996 Mongoose Crossway 4.50

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 1,310 Times in 434 Posts
I'm doing better than I thought compared to you all. I'm at about 3000 miles on 32mm Conti GP 4 Seasons. Rear tread is worn pretty good, but no cord yet. Hoping to get another 400-500 miles, then my plan is to replace them both when I have the wheels off to install the winter fenders around late September. All pretty smooth pavement, and I weigh about 250 lbs.

Mark
Old 08-21-23, 12:40 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
I get similar lifespans as you OP. Live in the mountains, 250 lbs
Old 08-21-23, 05:17 AM
eduskator

Originally Posted by Broctoon
I am very similar to you. 165 lbs, ride on mostly good pavement. I recently replaced a Schwalbe Pro 1 tubeless, which I ran at around 60 PSI but didn’t check religiously. I used it until cords just started to show, and I got something like 4000 miles out of it. Not sure what’s going on with yours. Do you skid your rear wheel?
That's a lot.

No skidding. Barely no braking at all in fact. I ride in a national park with very clean roads, but there is a lot of hills (800m (2500ish ft) of total elevation in 50kms (30mi)). Not sure what's going on, but mileage has been consistent through a few different brands so it's either normal or I am the problem. lol

I wait until I see wires, which is well after the wear dimples are gone. This said, yours are less used than mine when we replace them.

That's what I usually do. I buy 3 tires and change the rear one mid season. Then, I keep the front one as a spare and buy 3 new tires next year. Never thought of swapping the rear tire with the front one before it squares off though. May give it a try and see if I get more overall mileage.

I want to try the GP5K S TR at some point, but everyone keeps telling me that they're a PITA to mount on tires which is something I genuinely hate to fight with. The Schwalbe Pro One can be mounted with fingers only and they can be seated on rims with a regular floor pump, and this why I stick with them!

Last edited by eduskator; 08-21-23 at 05:43 AM.
Old 08-21-23, 05:32 AM
eduskator

Originally Posted by rm -rf
When my rear is worn out, I always move the front tire to the rear, then replace the front with a new tire. Otherwise, the front lasts for years and years, accumulating cuts and cracking.

My rear GP5000 still had very shallow wear indicator pits, so there was a slight bit of tread left. But in slanting light, I could see the thread weave for the tire carcass under the minimal remaining tread. I don't track miles, but it's usually 3500-4000 miles. I do about 45-60 feet per mile of climbing on rides, but I don't need to stand on many of the climbs. That's easier on the tires.

I ride with a few riders that can crank out high wattage. I can hear the tires when they take off from a stop. That's got to wear out tires and chains too.

Spinning high cadence, rarely sprinting to catch other riders: high mileage.
Sprinting with big watts, grinding a very low cadence, lots of steep hills, very rough roads, or leaning into fast turns: low mileage.
I consider myself an aggressive rider for sure; I ride out of the saddle and sprint often, and I can hear my tires gripping. I think I may have found the culprit!
Likes For eduskator:
Old 08-21-23, 06:50 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
My conclusion is that getting 2500kms (1550 miles) out of a rear tire is normal. I am wondering if there are any riders here (similar weight, setup and tarmac condition) who are getting more mileage out of their rear ones?
I too am ~170lbs and ride 99.9% paved roads -- most adequately paved, some surprisingly nicely-paved, a few lumpy messes -- and 1550 miles is generally the lowest usage I will typically get before having to change a rear (or front) tire.

Over the past 16 or 17 years I have regularly & routinely gotten between 1,500 and 3,000 miles out of a tire. I think best case that I can recall over all those years was somewhere over 4,000 miles, and worst case was around 1,200 miles. But most sets fall comfortably into that 1,500-3,000 range, and so long as I get at least 2,000 I'm generally satisfied that I got my money's worth.
Old 08-21-23, 09:57 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
I have not accurately kept track, but the rear usually lasts a bit less than half as long. I ride mostly good to very good pavement, it is straight and flat, I do not do much braking on most rides, and I am about 150 pounds. Definitely not often that I do more than short stretches of really aggressive riding. The Panaracer GK slicks, 28mm, on my Airborne Zeppelin have at least 2500 miles, with the rear having maybe 1000 miles left on it., but likely to be replaced before that. The front is good to go for a while. This is set up as my 1 X, it is getting a lot of miles. I have a set of Hutchinson Fusion 5 Performance, also 28, that have less than 1500, the rear shows a lot of center wear, both look more worn than the above GK's, including the side wall and bead appearance. I used to really like the Fusion 5, but they had a big jump in price since the pandemic. I found a new pair on Ebay for low dollars, but am disappointed in the apparent low mileage, I had one flat with the rear. They do have a very nice ride, because of that, I would likely try them again if I found them with a decent price reduction. I've been a user of GK's for a number of years. I have one that has what I believe is an issue with the weld being a bit off. It is a slight irritation, only at times.
Old 08-21-23, 04:45 PM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 234 Posts
Just for the heck of it, I decided to try Schwalbe Pro One tires on my new wheels. Only 500 miles or so to date. But, and this sounds weird, they seem sticky and little pebbles seem to easily adhere, like chip and seal roads. Brushing off a tire is kind of old school, but they are noisy otherwise and I have minimal clearance.

My tandem has Conti Gatorskins and get probably 1500 miles on those. They show a little wear, but not through the dimples. Tandems are hard on everything.
Old 08-22-23, 05:24 AM
eduskator

Just for the heck of it, I decided to try Schwalbe Pro One tires on my new wheels. Only 500 miles or so to date. But, and this sounds weird, they seem sticky and little pebbles seem to easily adhere, like chip and seal roads. Brushing off a tire is kind of old school, but they are noisy otherwise and I have minimal clearance.

My tandem has Conti Gatorskins and get probably 1500 miles on those. They show a little wear, but not through the dimples. Tandems are hard on everything.
I've always found them to be silent even at the end of their life. The compound is indeed grippy, but I never needed to clean them. It's a very nice race tire. Used them for 3 years in a row and I don't have any complaints aside from their short lifespan. As I said above, I guess my aggressive style of riding is the culprit.
Old 08-22-23, 12:06 PM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 131 Posts
Last replaced a Continental GP4000 SII last year at around ~3,100 mi - plenty of tread left, but had a sidewall tear/cut. Have since put nearly 1k on its replacement (my last GP4kS2), and it still looks brand new, as does my front tire - a Continental Ultra Sport 2 with 4,000 miles.

You must be laying down massive watts on a climb that just happens to have 100 grit sandpaper as a surface.
Old 08-23-23, 06:43 AM
noimagination

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
Warning: contrarian post (sorry).

I don't know, and don't really care. The only reason I can think of to measure tire mileage is to choose between tires - I'm assuming that minimizing the cost/mile would be the criterion. This would involve:
1. Putting on a new tire, and noting the tire brand, model, size (i.e. width), price, and mileage appearing on my cycle computer.
2. Recording the mileage when the tire was replaced, calculating the mileage and the price/mile.
3. Putting on a new tire of a different brand/model/width, and repeating steps 1 and 2, above.
4. Repeat for as many times as there are tires that you want to compare.
5. Once you have the data, and need a tire, look for the tire make/models that you've tested.
6. If prices are different, recalculate all of the price/mile values for all of the tires.
7. Select the most cost effective tire at the time you're purchasing the tire.

I suppose you could just want the longest lasting tire you can find, because you don't like changing tires or something, and the price is not the issue. Or you could just be curious. That would be much simpler, but would still involve noting the mileage when a tire was put on and again when it needed replacement and calculating the mileage.

I don't do that. It isn't hard, but I just don't see the reason for taking the, admittedly minimal, trouble. So, I have no idea how long my tires last. I just buy (based mainly on what's on sale, but also what I've liked in the past, what looks interesting, what I've heard is good, etc.), install, ride, buy again (may be the same tire make/model/size, may be different), install again, rinse and repeat.

I have had tires that I've liked more/less (mainly based on perceived ride quality and grip), and I've had days when I want to spend less on tires and days when I want a "good" tire. But, I've never had a tire wear out so quickly that I've noticed, and had to factor that into my tire purchase decision.
Old 08-23-23, 07:16 AM
eduskator

Originally Posted by aliasfox
Last replaced a Continental GP4000 SII last year at around ~3,100 mi - plenty of tread left, but had a sidewall tear/cut. Have since put nearly 1k on its replacement (my last GP4kS2), and it still looks brand new, as does my front tire - a Continental Ultra Sport 2 with 4,000 miles.

You must be laying down massive watts on a climb that just happens to have 100 grit sandpaper as a surface.
As much as I would love to answer yes to putting down massive watts, I have a FTP of approximately 300w unfortunately. I do climb hard most of the time though, but it's all on good condition tarmac.

Originally Posted by noimagination
Warning: contrarian post (sorry).

I don't know, and don't really care. The only reason I can think of to measure tire mileage is to choose between tires - I'm assuming that minimizing the cost/mile would be the criterion. This would involve:
1. Putting on a new tire, and noting the tire brand, model, size (i.e. width), price, and mileage appearing on my cycle computer.
2. Recording the mileage when the tire was replaced, calculating the mileage and the price/mile.
3. Putting on a new tire of a different brand/model/width, and repeating steps 1 and 2, above.
4. Repeat for as many times as there are tires that you want to compare.
5. Once you have the data, and need a tire, look for the tire make/models that you've tested.
6. If prices are different, recalculate all of the price/mile values for all of the tires.
7. Select the most cost effective tire at the time you're purchasing the tire.

I suppose you could just want the longest lasting tire you can find, because you don't like changing tires or something, and the price is not the issue. Or you could just be curious. That would be much simpler, but would still involve noting the mileage when a tire was put on and again when it needed replacement and calculating the mileage.

I don't do that. It isn't hard, but I just don't see the reason for taking the, admittedly minimal, trouble. So, I have no idea how long my tires last. I just buy (based mainly on what's on sale, but also what I've liked in the past, what looks interesting, what I've heard is good, etc.), install, ride, buy again (may be the same tire make/model/size, may be different), install again, rinse and repeat.

I have had tires that I've liked more/less (mainly based on perceived ride quality and grip), and I've had days when I want to spend less on tires and days when I want a "good" tire. But, I've never had a tire wear out so quickly that I've noticed, and had to factor that into my tire purchase decision.
The problem with long lasting tires is that they don't usually perform as well. Lifespan and level of performance have always had an inverse correlation and it is completely logical when you think about it.

I would certainly love to figure out what is the longest lasting high-end race tire available on the market as squeezing more mileage out of a tire is better on your wallet, but at the same time I love the Pro One and swapping the rear one mid-season isn't that complicated.

Last edited by eduskator; 08-23-23 at 07:26 AM.
Old 08-23-23, 08:26 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10176 Post(s)
Liked 5,873 Times in 3,161 Posts
Using tubed GP5000s on the dry weather road bike, I get at least a year, which is over 5000 mi. and I tend to trash them with some wear dimple showing. We are talking 25mm, inflated to 80 psi, ridden on a lot of bad pavement in hilly country. I weigh in the low 150s (lbs).
Old 08-23-23, 08:41 AM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 131 Posts
I wish I had an FTP of 300w. A rough and optimistic estimate using Strava segments and bikecalculator.com suggests closer to 200w for me...

Anyway, I noticed that three out of the four tires you've listed are Giant house brand tires, so I would say that your sample set isn't that big. When I was riding on Vittoria Rubinos (and a Zaffiro or two), I would expect my 25mm tires to square off within about 1k miles, maybe 1,500 (~1500-2500 km), and I would change out rears around 2k miles - or more often than not, pop the old front tire on the back and put a new tire on the rear.

I haven't completely bought into the Continental GP4000/GP5000 hype, as my 'feel' from the saddle is that they're not quite as grippy as the Vittorias, but I'm definitely bought into the fact that they seem to last noticeably longer. 1k miles in, the GP4000 SII still has its wear dimples, and the other bike's GP5000 (put on for the last ride of last season) has ~350mi (>500km) on them, and could almost be re-boxed and sold as new.

I know someone who just put new Corsas on his bike last month, and I'll likely be seeing him in a few weeks - I don't think he's put many miles on those tires (most of his Strava feed is Zwift), but I'll report back if there's anything interesting there.
Likes For aliasfox:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.