Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

re-cableing

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

re-cableing

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-23, 01:28 PM
metropical

Bikes: 2009 CAAD 9 - 6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
re-cableing

related to a previous post RE adding an extension to my steer tube.
The cables are original and 15 years old on my CAAD9-6.
The covers and cables look OK, but in thinking about adding this riser, they will get tight with existing cables.
They are not full cover. With little stand off beads under the top tube for the rear brakes.
I assume that I should replace with the same partial cover cables in the same manner and not try to cover the exposed sections?
I think these are the brake set, but not sure of the shifter set.
Amazon.com
Old 10-11-23, 02:11 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22609 Post(s)
Liked 8,930 Times in 4,162 Posts
I think it’s a great time to change/replace cables and housing for brakes AND shifters. The shift cables may be fussy but plenty of YouTube videos out there to walk you through the process.

The little beads are just to prevent rattle when cable slaps underside of top tube, they are not really necessary but your choice on that.
Old 10-11-23, 03:15 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 122 Posts
You got 15 years out of a set of cables. My hats off to you that is a complete record never heard anything like that in my life. But truthfully new cables and housing all the way around and you will be shifting and riding so much better with less force and smoother.
Likes For deacon mark:
Old 10-12-23, 05:13 AM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by metropical
related to a previous post RE adding an extension to my steer tube.
The cables are original and 15 years old on my CAAD9-6.
The covers and cables look OK, but in thinking about adding this riser, they will get tight with existing cables.
They are not full cover. With little stand off beads under the top tube for the rear brakes.
I assume that I should replace with the same partial cover cables in the same manner and not try to cover the exposed sections?
I think these are the brake set, but not sure of the shifter set.
Amazon.com
Wow. 15 years is wild. Have you only ridden in perfect conditions?
Old 10-12-23, 07:16 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by deacon mark
You got 15 years out of a set of cables. My hats off to you that is a complete record never heard anything like that in my life. But truthfully new cables and housing all the way around and you will be shifting and riding so much better with less force and smoother.
Yeah, especially if it's shimano's STI levers. Lots of them are eating cables because of their designs.
Old 10-12-23, 10:13 AM
metropical

Bikes: 2009 CAAD 9 - 6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by choddo
Wow. 15 years is wild. Have you only ridden in perfect conditions?
yup. pretty much. the roads here are too dangerous from inconsiderate drivers, so not worth taking a chance in anything less than perfect.
Used to ride to a local park and do 10 there for a daily of 20. Now I drive to the park and cycle there. But I still don't like slipping on wet leaves.
Old 10-12-23, 10:51 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,933 Times in 2,558 Posts
Before you cut the housing consider whether you want to do the exposed cable run. I am a big fan of full length runs for the rear brake. Has several advantages. It compresses a lot more than the much shorter front. So less power. (Good you say? I find locking up the rear brake to be bad. A more "squishy" rear brake is, at least for me, a far safer one in really hard stops. And over the years, both bike and parts manufacturers have worked deliberately to reduce rear brake effectiveness. Campagnolo with it dual pivot front brakes, side pull rear for a few years. Bike manufacturers have made many bike with longer reaches for the rear brakes, sometimes even spec'ing longer reach rear brakes. Some bikes now spec smaller discs for the rear.)

Second advantage. You will never scratch the paint picking the bike up by the top tube or ranging by the top tube on racks. Third advantage - you have just eliminated two entry/exit points and potential issues with water, grime and kinking.

True, your cable guides aren't right for full length run. (Actually some guides can go either way but I doubt you have them.) I've been known to skip brazed on stops and use of fashioned chrome cable clamps. Might be hard to find for the CAAD's big top tube but good old tape does the same thing.and now there are a bunch of quality tapes that hold up and look good. (And one of the joys of full length runs is nothing has to actually do any more than keep the housing where it belongs and looks good. It never has to resist your hardest lever squeeze.)

To me, the 1980s were the pinnacle of rim brake cable runs. Under the handlebar tape "aero" (I spent many hours on long rides in my racing days wishing they weren't emerging from the tops of my levers where I wanted to put my hands) and full length with attractive braze-on guides down the top of the top tube. Clean, looked "right" and worked very well.