Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

IRD Wayback seatpost slipping?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-23, 08:00 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts

I'm thinking of getting one, but found on the internet a couple reports of it slipping fore/aft. Might there be some gritty paste or something that might address that slipping?

I want 30mm+ setback. I currently have a Velo Orange Gran Cru setback seatpost, but a piece in the clamping mechanism broke - it still works, but I'm a little worried it might be on its last legs.
Old 06-16-23, 08:44 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
funny thing.. i searched "30mm setback seat post" on ebay....a few nice options popped up.... none had annoying failing gizmos to worry about before you own them.... two were nice light Easton Carbon Fiber posts, in the roadbike-friendly 27.2mm size...................

why buy a possible problem when you don't need it?
Old 06-16-23, 09:05 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Wow...... that's a lot of setback. I 've never seen this one before. Brooks saddles need setback because of the way the rails are made. Campy works good with about 20mm setback. I bought Nitto... 24mm setback and it's enough for me. The good thing about Campy and Nitto.... there are 2 bolts... holds better and micro adjustment possible.
The single bolt is hard to adjust. If you do go for it.. maybe carbon fiber paste to keep it secure.
https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...2&category=167

We used to say... use Campy setpost and slam the Brooks saddle to the rear, and it was the right position.
Likes For trailangel:
Old 06-16-23, 09:17 PM
tyrion

Originally Posted by maddog34
funny thing.. i searched "30mm setback seat post" on ebay....a few nice options popped up.... none had annoying failing gizmos to worry about before you own them.... two were nice light Easton Carbon Fiber posts, in the roadbike-friendly 27.2mm size...................

why buy a possible problem when you don't need it?
No idea.
Old 06-16-23, 09:23 PM
tyrion

Originally Posted by trailangel
Wow...... that's a lot of setback. I 've never seen this one before. Brooks saddles need setback because of the way the rails are made. Campy works good with about 20mm setback. I bought Nitto... 24mm setback and it's enough for me. The good thing about Campy and Nitto.... there are 2 bolts... holds better and micro adjustment possible.
The single bolt is hard to adjust. If you do go for it.. maybe carbon fiber paste to keep it secure.
https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...2&category=167

We used to say... use Campy setpost and slam the Brooks saddle to the rear, and it was the right position.
For me it's use the Grand Cru seatpost and slam it all the way back (31mm). 25mm setback isn't quite enough for me.
Old 06-16-23, 09:26 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
There is this Nitto 40mm setback, but I don't know if you can get it anymore. It would be more secure than the IRD.......and I have a lot of IRD stuff and like the IRD line:
https://www.rivbike.com/products/nit...-2-x-250-11048

It's steel
Likes For trailangel:
Old 06-16-23, 09:49 PM
tyrion

There is this Nitto 40mm setback, but I don't know if you can get it anymore. It would be more secure than the IRD.......and I have a lot of IRD stuff and like the IRD line:

It's steel
Yeah that would definitely work, but at $184 I'd want to get some kind of secure seatpost clamp.
Old 06-17-23, 12:20 AM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
if you insist on owning the IRD problem child seat post, you could try putting a dab of Valve Lapping Compound on it before you clamp it down at 30mm... the emery in the gel will give traction to the too-slippery finish that IRD applied to the parts...
Likes For maddog34:
Old 06-17-23, 08:04 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 746 Posts
I would first contact Velo Orange to find out if they have any replacement parts for your clamp. They claim to have these made just for the VO brand and might have a line for spares from the place that makes them.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 06-17-23, 11:51 AM
tyrion

It's steel
I'm leaning towards the Nitto S84. Available for ~ $130 on ebay. I like the 2 bolt design and it's 150g lighter than the IRD Wayback (I'm not a weight weenie but I'll take the 150g bonus). Still want a way to increase security - maybe the super glue ball bearing trick.