Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cycling vs Multisport Sunglasses

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-23, 09:59 AM
AMoney

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts

I am looking to replace my prescription sunglasses and need to replace my sunglasses. Are multiport sunglasses ok? Or should I get cycling specific sunglasses? I primarily do road biking but occasionally do mountain biking.
Old 08-15-23, 10:27 AM
Mtracer

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 194 Posts
I've found no difference with the style of sunglasses I wear on road rides. This includes plain old wire rimmed sun glasses to a more bike specific, and some just generic wrap-around types. Of course, I've not done side-by-side comparisons. I know I've done some long fast descents in cold weather where my eyes teared up a lot. But I can't say this had anything to do with the style of glasses.

Common sense suggests that the more wrap-around and close fitting to the face, the less likely it would be to have air channeled near the eye.
Old 08-15-23, 10:32 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
There's another post here about this subject. I went from Tiffosi to Oakley to my everyday Maui Jim sport sunglasses. The MJs are working for me and they are the lightest. OTOH none of them are prescription.

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...-dont-get.html
Old 08-15-23, 10:41 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
If you don't already *know* that you need/want cycling-specific glasses, you're probably fine without them.

The additional coverage of cycling-specific glasses is great for high speed and unimpeded vision in aggressive/low body position. For some, those are nice benefits.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-15-23, 10:58 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Multisport work for me in all outside endeavors.
Old 08-15-23, 01:10 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
I use what are termed "safety glasses" which are available in a readers style with a + diopeter section at the bottom. I only need the magnification for my bike computer so these work very well.

The safety glasses wrap around and fit close enough to my cheeks to keep wind and dirt and bugs from coming into my eyes from below or the sides of the glasses. These also have thin arms so as not to interfere with my peripheral vision which is critical. There is no metal and with the plastic lenses there are no worries about a part breaking off in a fall and injuring an eye.

I have paid less than $20 for them and they are available with no tint, a light yellow tint, or various levels of gray tint. They also have 100% UV A B protection for the eyes.
Old 08-15-23, 03:22 PM
KerryIrons

Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 357 Posts
Originally Posted by Mtracer
Common sense suggests that the more wrap-around and close fitting to the face, the less likely it would be to have air channeled near the eye.
But that can also result in fogging issues in cooler, humid weather. Good glasses deal with both issues of keeping stuff from hitting your eyes and preventing/minimizing fogging.
Old 08-15-23, 03:26 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by Mtracer
Maybe, but is that a good thing? For me, I've found that some airflow around the lens helps reduce the amount of sweat in my eyes when I'm working hard.
Old 08-15-23, 03:31 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I use safety sunglasses which I get at Home Depot.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 08-15-23, 03:35 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
But that can also result in fogging issues in cooler, humid weather. Good glasses deal with both issues of keeping stuff from hitting your eyes and preventing/minimizing fogging.
Glasses fogging has been a life-long issue for me. The more seal, the more fog. I only use prescription glasses (contacts would probably cost ma an eye) so I've been unwilling to spend big bucks on the gamble. Rayban style frames and now bifocal polarized lenses work for me quite well.
Old 08-15-23, 04:01 PM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
I somethings wear sunglasses that were free from a trophy and engraving shop. I sometimes wear Maui Jims that showed up in the lost and found. I sometimes wear Oakleys bought new. I don't see much difference. Of course I am old and slow.
Old 08-15-23, 08:06 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
The biggest difference in my experience is that cycling specific sunglasses often ride higher on the face so that they don't block your view when you're in an aero tuck with your head down. If you never ride that way, you probably won't care.
Old 08-16-23, 03:12 AM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 127 Posts
Check out WileyX brand, they make all sorts of shapes and lenses and many have RX options. I personally wear the Saber Advanced, no r/x, just the glasses. These are my go to glasses for everything outdoor related in any season as I prefer their Light Rust lenses over anything else in any weather as the light transmission is still high @ 60% and the slight tint subtly enhances the environment but doesn't alter any colors. I wear them mostly to keep stuff out of my eyes in the wind as I don't need sunglasses to make things dark as the very concept never made much sense to me.

I find the WileyX's are not only more solid in construction than any brand of cycling/athletic specific glasses, their QC is excellent. The frames are straight and everything fits together as it should. Before I found WileyX I was brand surfing glasses trying to find a brand that offered a lighter lens and a frame that wasn't crooked fitting, and not one fit the bill. If it wasn't the frame, it was the lens quality or lack thereof. The WileyX lenses have no distortion. The replaceable nose pieces are bendable for adjustment. The lenses are thicker for sure as they are intended/marketed more as a shooting/safety brand, and that's fine by me as the clarity is excellent. Lens replacements are $25, that's my kind of great.
​​​​​​https://www.wileyx.com/saber-advanced-308t
Old 08-16-23, 05:02 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by AMoney
I am looking to replace my prescription sunglasses and need to replace my sunglasses. Are multiport sunglasses ok? Or should I get cycling specific sunglasses? I primarily do road biking but occasionally do mountain biking.
Amazon special $20 or so photochromatic cycling glasses. The changes in visibility with light conditions is nice and is affordable these days.

Rock Bros? One photochromatic pair is just $18.

Edit: just saw prescription. Scratched my post out for that. I cannot help with prescription. Above is for not prescription.
Old 08-16-23, 05:19 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by Garthr
Check out WileyX brand, they make all sorts of shapes and lenses and many have RX options. I personally wear the Saber Advanced, no r/x, just the glasses. These are my go to glasses for everything outdoor related in any season as I prefer their Light Rust lenses over anything else in any weather as the light transmission is still high @ 60% and the slight tint subtly enhances the environment but doesn't alter any colors. I wear them mostly to keep stuff out of my eyes in the wind as I don't need sunglasses to make things dark as the very concept never made much sense to me.

I find the WileyX's are not only more solid in construction than any brand of cycling/athletic specific glasses, their QC is excellent. The frames are straight and everything fits together as it should. Before I found WileyX I was brand surfing glasses trying to find a brand that offered a lighter lens and a frame that wasn't crooked fitting, and not one fit the bill. If it wasn't the frame, it was the lens quality or lack thereof. The WileyX lenses have no distortion. The replaceable nose pieces are bendable for adjustment. The lenses are thicker for sure as they are intended/marketed more as a shooting/safety brand, and that's fine by me as the clarity is excellent. Lens replacements are $25, that's my kind of great.
​​​​​​https://www.wileyx.com/saber-advanced-308t
Originally Posted by urbanknight
The biggest difference in my experience is that cycling specific sunglasses often ride higher on the face so that they don't block your view when you're in an aero tuck with your head down. If you never ride that way, you probably won't care.
I love my Wiley X Twisted model for my trail riding. My eye doc reccommended the brand (he is a mountain biker). They may not be ideal for some who need real cycling glasses that are higher on the face. For me they are a bit less than optimum for use on the road bike, but I can live with them. If I were inclined to ride the road bike more I would have picked something more bike specific, but I mostly ride the MTB these days.
Likes For staehpj1: