Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Gone 2 Look 4 America - a tour visiting some state capitols

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-23, 01:26 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 178 Posts

A little over a week until I start my next long distance tour. Plan is to start in Washington DC at the US Capitol and make my way to the west coast stopping past some state capitols along the way. My trip web site is - https://mvermeulen.org/gone2look4america/

Thank you for those of you who provided ideas on routes in the populated northeast corridor. on subscription services and related topics in those threads.
Old 04-21-23, 05:36 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
Mev, if you pass through the Grand Rapids, Michigan area on your way up to Lansing, you have a place to stay. In the house or pitch a tent in the backyard, my wife and I welcome you. PM me if we can be of service.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 04-22-23, 08:00 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,580 Times in 7,337 Posts
We’re going to get a dose of spring in Philly this coming week after above normal temperatures. People are going to think 60s are cold.

Rainy (we need it) tonight. Hopefully things will turn nice for you by the time you start.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-27-23, 09:31 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 194 Posts
Is your exact routing shown ? when you're within the Indy-Springfield corridor, you're in my wheel house so if you have any questions or need any help, let me know.
Old 04-28-23, 04:28 AM
mev
bicycle tourist

Originally Posted by robow
Is your exact routing shown ? when you're within the Indy-Springfield corridor, you're in my wheel house so if you have any questions or need any help, let me know.
No. Enough routing to establish a budget using Google Maps auto + avoid highways. As I go along, I might skip a capitol or two if I find myself behind budget. I might make a detour or explore an area further if I am ahead of budget.

Also, I haven't looked specifically at route choices but will do those as I get to them.

However it is a reasonable approximation and best guess.

Thanks for volunteering local knowledge, I'll ask as I go get closer.
Old 04-28-23, 05:38 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Have a great adventure!
Old 04-28-23, 09:33 AM
biker222

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
When I did the NT and Pacific Coast route in 2014 I rode with a guy and his daughter on a tandem for a few days riding down the coast who previously did a solo tour visiting all the state capitols in continental US during that year.
Old 10-15-23, 01:43 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

My trip has now come to completion in Seattle. By the numbers:
- 6604 miles cycled between Washington DC and Seattle Washington.
- 26 state capitols visited
- 47 motels owned/managed by a family named Patel. I carried a tent but slept in a bed every night (including a converted church, a travel trailer an AirBnb cabin in the woods).
- 224 counties cycled. Map below shows counties cycled in red (this trip) and purple (previous trips).
- One rim replaced, one pedal replaced. Wear items: two chains, two tires, brake pads.

This was my third east/west trip across the US. It was a bit more mellow than my first trip (1992) and I didn't have a day with more than 65 miles. Instead I typically would get out early and stop a little after mid-day with my sweet spot being 45-50 miles.

I experimented with routing including more trails (Northern Rail Trail, Erie Canal, OTET, Ellroy-Sparta & Wisconsin trails). I happened to catch one day of RAGBRAI along the way.

I had a few weather related days: one for heat in Iowa, one for smoke in Illinois, one for rain in South Dakota, one for rain in North Dakota, one for wind in Oregon. Also took time off for some family items. Otherwise out riding most days.

In total, five and a half months between my departure from Washington to my arrival in Seattle. I took a six month LOA from work and that comes to an end soon.

I feel fortunate I was able to do the trip and glad I took the time along the way for a LOA to make the ride.

Old 10-15-23, 05:56 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,841 Times in 833 Posts
Congrats. mob-rule.com map?
Old 10-15-23, 06:16 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

Originally Posted by RCMoeur
mob-rule.com map?
I created my own bicycling map with mapchart.net. Didn't realize there was mob-rule creating a comparison...
Old 10-16-23, 03:07 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,580 Times in 7,337 Posts
I’m sure it doesn’t go you, but it seems like you started only a couple of months ago,
Old 10-17-23, 10:37 AM
robow

Very neat ! Is there an actual route map that can be blown up ? I would like to see your Indiana-Illinois corridor route that I know so well. It looks like you may have caught some of the old Route 66 trail from Springfield up towards Chicago ?
Old 10-17-23, 12:54 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

Originally Posted by robow
Very neat ! Is there an actual route map that can be blown up ? I would like to see your Indiana-Illinois corridor route that I know so well. It looks like you may have caught some of the old Route 66 trail from Springfield up towards Chicago ?
At bottom of each page is an embedded map that is also a link to a Strava activity. So for example my first day in Indiana I was mostly on the National Road: https://mvermeulen.org/gone2look4ame...national-road/ Subsequent pages go from there ...

I considered several alternatives between Indianapolis and Springfield including by way of Turkey Run State Park. In the end, I ended up with a route not too far from cities along the interstate. This was also a spot where I took an intermission in Urbana/Champaign to take care of some things in Austin.

From Springfield to Chicago I bought Adventure Cycling Route 66 Map #1 and followed it except for last day into Chicago. This ended up being a fair amount of frontage roads. It also turned out busier than Indianapolis to Springfield where I was quickly on rural roads without traffic.
Old 10-17-23, 06:18 PM
robow

Thanks. Your ride took you thru my very neck of the woods, and I ride on many of those same roads and thru those same towns frequently. You're correct when you talk about the wind, almost always a factor in these parts. Well done !