Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Rear rack recommendations, please

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Rear rack recommendations, please

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-23, 01:45 PM
travelinhobo

Bikes: I'm not a guy - brand doesn't matter.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Thank you all for the responses. Didn't expect so many! Thank you to the guy who corrected me and said its a Bontrager item. Will read the rest at camp and reply if nedded.
Old 12-02-23, 07:28 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4359 Post(s)
Liked 4,000 Times in 2,669 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
I'm touring with a Tubus rack at this very moment actually.

They are good racks, no doubt. Not the best price to performance ratio though.
Good good!

I mean they are an excellent price to performance ratio they work really well and last a long long long time I cannot really say they are poor price in that situation. They are quite lightweight and hold a ton of weight and have good support behind them that you probably won't need. There are tons of racks but for touring but none I would trust as much as those beyond custom made racks but those would be more expensive.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 12-02-23, 07:38 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
would one of you Americans give a realistic price for a tubus rack to this person, so they can have an idea of what you're all talking about. A rack of this value may not be something they would need on their bike, which could also have the risk of theft going on.

I'll leave it to the person in question to add a cost budget if they would like, but they may be surprised at folks suggesting a $200 bicycle rack.
Old 12-02-23, 10:09 PM
woodway
Squeaky Wheel

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 50 Posts
I've been riding with a Tubus Airy since 2008. I have ridden over 80,000 miles with the rack attached to my bike and have hung at least one pannier on the rack for the majority of those miles (full-time bike commuter, part-time bike tourer). I've used the rack so often that my pannier has worn a groove in the titanium. The rack is unbelievably light and strong. It's also eye-watering expensive (you can find them for about $270). I would buy another one in a heatbeat.
Old 12-03-23, 10:35 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 1,468 Times in 1,145 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
would one of you Americans give a realistic price for a tubus rack to this person, so they can have an idea of what you're all talking about. A rack of this value may not be something they would need on their bike, which could also have the risk of theft going on.

I'll leave it to the person in question to add a cost budget if they would like, but they may be surprised at folks suggesting a $200 bicycle rack.
I suggested the Tubus Logo EVO in post 2, so that is what I priced, used Google search for Tubus Logo EVO price.

Lowest price in USA, $150:
https://www.amazon.com/Tubus-LOGO-Re...dp/B007Y3D5LW/

Lowest price if imported into USA from a foreign seller was from BikeInn, they are very slow on shipping but I have bought from them before and would again, shipped from Europe, with shipping $120 (I have an account with them, so priced shipping cost to my location, Madison Wisc, cost may vary for shipping.)
https://www.tradeinn.com/bikeinn/en/...ck/136754135/p

Racktime as a brand and the Racktime Addit was also suggested in this thread, and I have two of those racks, so priced that too.
Lowest in USA, $67 but I did not check shipping price from this seller (Amazon has it for $80).
https://carsoncitybikeshop.com/bike-...e-addit-28-bk/

An Addit may be cheaper from Europe, I did not check. I own two Addit racks, I bought one of mine from Europe about six years ago.

Local retailers are likely more.
Old 12-03-23, 10:46 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
thanks tourist, I have my doubts if the person asking here is interested in a rear rack this expensive, they know what budget is realistic.
I hope they find a rack that will work suitably for their needs of living on a bike.
Old 12-04-23, 09:56 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6221 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I suggested the Tubus Logo EVO in post 2, so that is what I priced, used Google search for Tubus Logo EVO price.

Lowest price in USA, $150:
https://www.amazon.com/Tubus-LOGO-Re...dp/B007Y3D5LW/
$150 isn’t even close to the lowest price. Carson City has the Logo for $119. They have the Cargo Classic for $113. Amazon is about the worst place to go looking for good prices.

Lowest price if imported into USA from a foreign seller was from BikeInn, they are very slow on shipping but I have bought from them before and would again, shipped from Europe, with shipping $120 (I have an account with them, so priced shipping cost to my location, Madison Wisc, cost may vary for shipping.)
https://www.tradeinn.com/bikeinn/en/...ck/136754135/p
Again, that’s not the cheapest price. Rose Bikes has the Logo and a number of other Tubus racks for less than that. With shipping, the Logo would $101 from Rose.

​​​​​​​Racktime as a brand and the Racktime Addit was also suggested in this thread, and I have two of those racks, so priced that too.
Lowest in USA, $67 but I did not check shipping price from this seller (Amazon has it for $80).
https://carsoncitybikeshop.com/bike-...e-addit-28-bk/

An Addit may be cheaper from Europe, I did not check. I own two Addit racks, I bought one of mine from Europe about six years ago.

Local retailers are likely more.
Carson City sells other Racktime racks that would be worth considering for around $40 as well.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 12-04-23, 10:04 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Sure, the listed weight limit may not be correct.
Not incorrect but wildly inflated.

That doesn't change the fact that it is structurally solid, a good value at its price, long lasting, and versatile.
It also doesn’t change the fact that the company is either lying through omission or purposefully. They are claiming that you can carry around a full sized adult on the rear rack which is obviously not true. I wouldn’t trust someone who makes that kind of claim.

​​​​​​​It easily handles fully packed touring weights in multiple mounted configurations and doesn't noticeably twist or sway. That's really all that is needed here.
Which makes their exaggeration all the worse. They could have a good product but they don’t need to overinflate its abilities.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 12-04-23, 10:18 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by bktourer1
MY Jannd "Expedition" has been good for many years

Expedition Rear Rack

Product ID: FREXP
Description: The Expedition Rack is the rack of choice for cyclists who require exceptional durability and expanded size, measuring a full three inches longer than our standard rack. Built from 3/8" 6061 aluminum stock, the Expedition Rack is intended to be used primarily with our Large Mountain and Expedition Panniers where additional rear clearance may be needed for large loads. However, the Expedition is also a good choice when more room is needed for carting the evenings firewood or portaging large containers of water. The secret to this racks tremendous strength is a third support strut which angles back 21 degrees from the main load bearing strut. In addition, the rear support strut offers a 6" long section for attaching the lower portion of your panniers suspension system to enable precise positioning of your load. All stress points are double-welded.
Originally Posted by robow
I think this is also the reason the Axiom Journey rack is so solid and can hold a lot of weight is the second complete loop to the rear.
One other thing I consider when buying a rack is does it have a top panel on it. Since I don't run fenders, the top panel on the Journey, the Jannd, and that Bontrager keep mud, water and debris from splashing up on my bag that rides on top of the rack and makes sure no material likely slips down to rub on the tire.
The Tubus Logo and Cargo racks have the same configuration and are made out of steel. They don’t over rate their capacity. The Cargo used to be rated to almost 90 lbs but has been down rated for the reasons Tourist in MSN gave in post 17. I’d still rate it at that value and it is much stronger than any aluminum rack can be.

The Vega, by the way, doesn’t have the extra leg on it and Tubus rates it at 55 lbs which is still a heathy weight rating for cargo carrying. Axiom rates their similar rack as being able to carry 110 lbs which is still in the small adult category and ridiculously high.

Old 12-04-23, 10:18 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Originally Posted by cyccommute
$150 isn’t even close to the lowest price. Carson City has the Logo for $119. They have the Cargo Classic for $113. Amazon is about the worst place to go looking for good prices.

Again, that’s not the cheapest price. Rose Bikes has the Logo and a number of other Tubus racks for less than that. With shipping, the Logo would $101 from Rose.

Carson City sells other Racktime racks that would be worth considering for around $40 as well.
Thanks.

I was not shopping for myself, so I just used a google search for prices instead of doing a thorough search, you clearly spent more time on this than I did.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 12-04-23, 10:58 AM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 194 Posts
The Tubus Logo and Cargo racks have the same configuration and are made out of steel.
Stuart, please don't misunderstand me, I'm not saying that the aluminum Axiom rack is as strong as the steel Tubus, I'm just saying that it's adequately strong for most people's needs, or at least has worked well for about 10 years now for myself and 2 others.
Likes For robow:
Old 12-04-23, 12:05 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10969 Post(s)
Liked 7,495 Times in 4,191 Posts
Not incorrect but wildly inflated.
It also doesn’t change the fact that the company is either lying through omission or purposefully. They are claiming that you can carry around a full sized adult on the rear rack which is obviously not true. I wouldn’t trust someone who makes that kind of claim.
Which makes their exaggeration all the worse. They could have a good product but they don’t need to overinflate its abilities.
- Is it wildly inflated? How much is it inflated? You are guessing and posting with confidence based on that guess. Lame.
- Is the weight rating a static or dynamic load? What other parameters exist for their claimed max weight to apply? I genuinely dont know, and I dont think you know either. You should look into it, if you care this much.
- My oldest kid sat on my rack. It was a couple years ago, so she was 50kg or so. The rack still works.
- Ok cool- you dont trust someone who makes a claim that you dont fully understand. Thats fine. It has 0 bearing on what I posted and my follow up. Once again- the rack has shown to be a good mix of weight, reliability, stiffness, cost, capability, and design(flexible attaching to frame and secure mounting). Its Ok that you dont trust it and prefer a different rack.

You are a man of science. You are a man of binary processing where gray almost never exists. Go find details for that specific rack before you post again with more guesses that are disguised as fact.
I have read reviews and comments online that claim 80#, 100#, a kid, etc were all fine to carry while riding. Who knows for how long. Who knows with how many turns or bumps or whatever. You can go search these answers down and get back to us with actual details instead of guesses.
Old 12-04-23, 12:28 PM
cyccommute 

- Is it wildly inflated? How much is it inflated? You are guessing and posting with confidence based on that guess. Lame.
Is a 170lbs load limit wildly inflated? Of course it is. Let’s put that in context. It’s more than two bags of dry concrete. It’s almost 3 medium sized dogs. Three 50lbs bags of rice. It’s about 1/4 of a full beef carcass. It’s a ridiculous claim.

- Is the weight rating a static or dynamic load? What other parameters exist for their claimed max weight to apply? I genuinely dont know, and I dont think you know either. You should look into it, if you care this much.
It doesn’t matter. I would assume dynamic load since that is what the rack is designed for. No other maker of similar racks with similar construction make that kind of claim. A maker of a rack that is obviously stronger…steel vs aluminum…doesn’t make that claim. The claim is disingenuous.

​​​​​​​- My oldest kid sat on my rack. It was a couple years ago, so she was 50kg or so. The rack still works.
Static load vs dynamic load. Do the same for just about any amount of time and the rack would bend. I’ve seen lots and lots of bent racks for just this reason.

​​​​​​​- Ok cool- you dont trust someone who makes a claim that you dont fully understand. Thats fine. It has 0 bearing on what I posted and my follow up. Once again- the rack has shown to be a good mix of weight, reliability, stiffness, cost, capability, and design(flexible attaching to frame and secure mounting). It’s Ok that you dont trust it and prefer a different rack.
I don’t trust a claim that is untrustworthy. I understand how the rack is made and what it is made of. It’s not a valid claim based on the materials and the dimensions used.

​​​​​​​You are a man of science. You are a man of binary processing where gray almost never exists. Go find details for that specific rack before you post again with more guesses that are disguised as fact.
I have read reviews and comments online that claim 80#, 100#, a kid, etc were all fine to carry while riding. Who knows for how long. Who knows with how many turns or bumps or whatever. You can go search these answers down and get back to us with actual details instead of guesses.
Yes, I’m a man of science. I don’t take wild claims at face value. It’s not up to me to prove the claims. It is up to the claimant to demonstrate how they reached those values if they have any validity. Since this rack is similar to many, many, many others of similar construction and materials that don’t make wild claims, it is up to them to show what they have done to make the rack several times stronger than others being offered.

Old 12-04-23, 12:32 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

outrage
You can go search these answers down and get back to us with actual details instead of guesses.
Old 12-05-23, 10:27 AM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1965 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts
170lb adult bouncing around on the back of the bike: when the passenger bounces left or right, the weight will momentarily shift to just one of the rack legs. When the bike hits a bump, the dynamic load is well above the static load. Both of these will happen at the same time during a ride. The longevity of the M5 bolts are in question even if the rack itself is made of magic diamond metal. It's not a reasonable weight rating for a rack.
Old 12-05-23, 10:54 AM
cyccommute 

You can go search these answers down and get back to us with actual details instead of guesses.
You mean like these reviews? It’s also not up to me to show that the Axiom rack can hold a ridiculous amount of weight. It’s up to the party making that claim. Tubus (and their subsidiary Racktime) are up front about testing their products. I can find nothing similar from Axiom.

Old 12-05-23, 11:03 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by Yan
The longevity of the M5 bolts are in question even if the rack itself is made of magic diamond metal. It's not a reasonable weight rating for a rack.
That’s a valid point as well.

Old 12-05-23, 01:12 PM
Thulsadoom

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert, 2002 TREK 520, Schwinn Mesa WINTER BIKE, Huffy Rock Creek 29er, 1970s-era Ross ten speed. All my bikes are highly modified(except the Tarmac) yet functional, and generally look beat to ****. .

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 51 Posts
Having just stumbled onto this thread, I'm still trying to figure out what's wrong with the OP's rack. Is that tape holding it together?
Likes For Thulsadoom:
Old 12-05-23, 01:54 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 194 Posts
I can find nothing similar from Axiom.
and I doubt that you will. I have owned both their racks and their panniers for many years and everything has been of very decent quality but, try and contact them with a simple question , good luck getting an answer, their customer service sucks
Old 12-05-23, 10:40 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

You mean like these reviews? It’s also not up to me to show that the Axiom rack can hold a ridiculous amount of weight. It’s up to the party making that claim. Tubus (and their subsidiary Racktime) are up front about testing their products. I can find nothing similar from Axiom.
Wow, that had to have been a heck of a rabbit hole to go down. Strong work finding a couple of reviews from 13 and 14 years ago.

I had my fun with pushing back on the rack weight rating. In all seriousness, I wouldn't ever try to load 150# onto the rack because that would also likely screw up my wheel.
The rack has lasted years and carried panniers thousands of miles without issue. It has shown to be strong and stiff while being easy to mount to 3 different bikes. The price is great too.
I wouldn't trust it to handle 150#, but I wouldn't trust any rack to handle that weoght. And I wouldn't want to ride with that weight, so this is all quite academic and worthless in reality.

I salute you for your determination, no matter how meaningless it actually is.
Old 12-05-23, 11:49 PM
cyccommute 

Wow, that had to have been a heck of a rabbit hole to go down. Strong work finding a couple of reviews from 13 and 14 years ago.

I had my fun with pushing back on the rack weight rating. In all seriousness, I wouldn't ever try to load 150# onto the rack because that would also likely screw up my wheel.
The rack has lasted years and carried panniers thousands of miles without issue. It has shown to be strong and stiff while being easy to mount to 3 different bikes. The price is great too.
I wouldn't trust it to handle 150#, but I wouldn't trust any rack to handle that weoght. And I wouldn't want to ride with that weight, so this is all quite academic and worthless in reality.

I salute you for your determination, no matter how meaningless it actually is.
Well you seem to get my point. I don’t doubt that the rack is good enough for most applications. So why did Axiom inflate the weight rating to such stupidly high levels? No one…no one!…is going to carry that much of a load on the rear rack of a bicycle. Like I said above, it’s the equivalent of 2 bags of cement.

As I’ve said before, I suspect that someone got the unit wrong and Axiom just stuck with the claimed capacity even though it is a stupid claim. 70 lbs (which is a bit too high in my opinion) is perfectly adequate for a load limitation. If you are carrying more than that on a rear rack, you are doing something wrong anyway.

Old 12-06-23, 06:29 AM
Tourist in MSN

... Like I said above, it’s the equivalent of 2 bags of cement.
Last time I picked up a bag of Portland cement, it was 94 pounds. I have no clue why it is sold in that size bag.
Old 12-06-23, 12:22 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by cyccommute;23092173[color=#c0392b
]Well you seem to get my point.[/color] I don’t doubt that the rack is good enough for most applications. So why did Axiom inflate the weight rating to such stupidly high levels? No one…no one!…is going to carry that much of a load on the rear rack of a bicycle. Like I said above, it’s the equivalent of 2 bags of cement.

As I’ve said before, I suspect that someone got the unit wrong and Axiom just stuck with the claimed capacity even though it is a stupid claim. 70 lbs (which is a bit too high in my opinion) is perfectly adequate for a load limitation. If you are carrying more than that on a rear rack, you are doing something wrong anyway.
Well if I hadnt gotten your point the first 4 times you ranted, now that you ranted for a 5th time even after saying I seem to get your point, I now get your point.

The horse was beaten to a pulp days ago- put the stick down. I havent been actually disagreeing with you, Ive just been poking you because you were hyperfocused on something that doesnt even matter to this thread.