Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Jacksonville, FL - Family Stuff - UPDATE

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-07, 05:49 AM
Dick Rhee
Shoebomber

Bikes: 2008 Canyon CF Pro w/ Chorus, 2005 Moots Vamoots w/ Ultegra, 1988 Cannondale commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello all -

For those of you who wanted to keep updated on my progress in Jacksonville taking care of mom stuff, I decided to make a new thread.

Here is the OP:
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...t=jacksonville

Because my mother is a member of the Duvall Teacher's Union, I was able to use their lawyer and the man was more helpful than I could imagine. I obtained durable Power of Attorney before Noon on Monday, and he researched everything regarding my mom's insurance and work issues for me as well. Apparently someone at human resources already tracked my mother down at Ten Broeck (I have no idea how, it was hard enough for me to do so and I'm her son) and set my mom up on family sick leave, which keeps her insurance running until the end of September. Today I will be contacting Social Security to obtain paperwork to apply for disability, which she should be qualified for, but I am not sure if this will keep her insurance going or not.

So, that's the good news. I was able to have an extended talk with the charge nurse yesterday and she said that the likelyhood of my mother returning to normal was slim and that I should be looking into long term care. I was planning on bringing her up to Seattle once she was released to live in a nearby apartment, but it looks as though I will have to find some sort of home for her instead.

The ESU unit seriously looks like a scene out of Jacob's Ladder, and the nurse said that once my mother's insurance runs out she's going to a much scarier place. I need to figure some stuff out before September. My goal is to get her into a home in Seattle, where I can drop by frequently and keep her company.

Her house is a lost cause and we will likely let it foreclose. This place is a dump anyway.

I bumped my flight up to tonight (Wednesday) at 7:40 because I took care of everything that required me to be in Jacksonville, and am freaking out a little bit about missing so much school. I'll be glad to sleep in my own bed tonight.

Last edited by Dick Rhee; 05-09-07 at 05:57 AM.
Old 05-09-07, 06:20 AM
damocles1
The mods changed this...

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Family stuff sucks to deal with, but you're a good egg and you'll find that you will be stronger emotionally from it.
Old 05-09-07, 12:29 PM
KendallF

Bikes: Ever changing..as of 2-24-09: 2003 Giant TCR Team Once, Sampson titanium, 1992 Paramount Series 3, 2003 Cervelo P3, 70s Raleigh Record fixed gear, 70s Fuji SL-12 commuter, mid 90s Klein MTB. Plus two or three frames lurking, plus 5 wife/kids rides

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Glad you've made some progress, and hope that things work out for her to go to Seattle quickly. If you need any further help or someone local to call for anything, you have my numbers; feel free to call.

Regards,

Kendall
Old 05-09-07, 01:16 PM
BlessedHellride
S.D.M.F.

Bikes: Scott Speedster S1, Research Dynamics MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Keep your chin up. Life can be difficult at times.
Old 05-09-07, 01:27 PM
slowandsteady
Faster but still slow

Bikes: Trek 830 circa 1993 and a Fuji WSD Finest 1.0 2006

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Don't let the house foreclose. Sell it for whatever you can. No sense in ruining her credit. No matter how lousy that house might be, there will be someone, probably a slumlord, who will buy it. My grandmother got $10,000 for her house in Philly that was falling down.

Not to get too personal, but you did post this on an internet site....what is the diagnosis? What meds is she on?

You may be able to get her in-home care from the state. I know I was able to get behavior assistants and therapists in home for my mentally ill daughter. It was free. Well it is paid for through taxes and believe me I pay my fair share.... They also have things like partial hospitalization programs that usually go for 6 hours a day and provide transportation. Something to think about.
Old 05-09-07, 02:52 PM
Hardheadmandca
Brian L. Baker

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus - 2000?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 for not letting the house go into foreclosure. Someone will buy it, to flip it at a minimum. You can then use the cash to finance some of her care. If you had the wherewithall, you could get it cleaned up, and rent it. I'd be shocked if the rental income wouldn't cover any mortgage outstanding, plus some money for her care. Check with reliable realty offices in the Jacksonville area. They could manage the property for a small fee.

Cervelo Dual/Calfee Tetra Pro/Kestrel 200sc/Specialized Sirrus/Diamondback Ascent/Centurion Fixie
Old 05-09-07, 03:05 PM
Dick Rhee
Shoebomber

Bikes: 2008 Canyon CF Pro w/ Chorus, 2005 Moots Vamoots w/ Ultegra, 1988 Cannondale commuter

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey guys, thanks for the advice (and I am definitely taking note, so keep it coming). The problem with the house is that she has no equity in it and there is a severe prepay penalty. From what I hear from my mother (although I will of course research this out before coming to a definite decision) if we sell it at what it is worth we may still owe money for the property.

Anyhow, I will post more later, but I have to catch a flight! Thanks again.
Old 05-09-07, 03:53 PM
KramerTC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good to hear from you. Hang in there.
Old 05-09-07, 05:17 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 1,744 Times in 1,015 Posts
I took Dick to the airport for his trip back to Seattle and everyone needs to keep this kid and his mom in your prayers. I had a chance to talk to him for about 45 mins and he is a yound guy with a lot on his plate and really has his head on straight, very rare these days. I told him I would help him anyway I could in the future.

Last edited by jaxgtr; 05-09-07 at 05:24 PM.
Old 05-10-07, 04:24 PM
Dick Rhee
Shoebomber

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm home! Thanks again Brian!

My girlfriend picked me up from the airport and we made it to my house in time to get about 4 hours of sleep before getting up for class. I can't even begin to describe how great it is to be home and getting back into the normal routine of things. I have the paperwork required and a pretty solid plan for taking care of the majority of issues in the next month or so, although the house is still a rather large question mark.

Again, I appreciate everyone's assistance. Without all of the directions, legal referrals, research, and rides offered by members of this forum, I would still be stuck on my mom's couch in Jacksonville without having done half of what I've accomplished already. I still have a lot to take care of, but it seems as though the worst is over.

-Dick

PS: By the way, slowandsteady, her diagnosis is currently bipolar disorder, although some of her symptoms (garbled speech, forgetfulness, etc) from what I understand, and from what I have experienced in the past, is not normally associated with that condition. I'm looking forward to having a doctor in Seattle take on her case in a few months to see if he may have some insight on what may be causing those problems.
Old 05-10-07, 05:21 PM
JOEPIPPAS

Bikes: 1991 C'DALE- 3.1 , 2007 LEMOND - TOURMALET

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey dick, good luck with all that you have got going on right now. You are a great son and any parent would be proud to have someone like you in their family.... My and my family's prayers are with you. remember Have faith and all will work itself out.