Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Riis Admits It!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-07, 12:00 PM
Dubbayoo

Bikes: Pedal Force QS3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by VT Biker
That is no reason to allow Lance to get away with cheating. Good works do not cancel out essentially defrauding the public. He broke the law (allegedly) to win some of those tours, and has used that fame to not only raise money for cancer, but for his own financial earnings as well.
It worked out okay for Robin Hood.

Originally Posted by rruff
I think you are missing the point. Apparently nearly everyone in the pro peloton dopes, agreed? How many of these guys ever failed a positive test? So obviously testing isn't capable of "finding the cheaters", and therefore the riders *have* to dope to be competitive.

The intelligent approach is to admit that riders will (and must!) dope up to the point where they will trigger a positive test. Instead of banning the use of substances, make a positive test the *only* standard, and reduce the suspensions rather than increase them.

Next you'll be calling for public hangings for anyone caught driving over the speed limit...
That's why I say the fight against doping should be about rider health, not fairness. At least with the 50% hematocrit limit people have stopped dying in their sleep (I think). Maybe they should lower the limit to 48% and call it a day. I don't think anyone is going to keel over from microdosing.

Last edited by Dubbayoo; 05-25-07 at 12:59 PM.
Old 05-25-07, 02:02 PM
VT Biker

Bikes: Cannondale R700 (2005)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by donrhummy
There's only one way to minimize doping (note I did not say eliminate it): You set a minimum time to finish the race and anyone who's faster than that is elminated. So basically you're saying something like: "Whoever crosses the finish line first in 98 hours or more (and NOT less) wins the race. If you finish in 97 hours you're disqualified." And you'd do the same for every stage too. That's it. There's no other solution.

I can see it now. DiLuca and 5 other riders all wait by the finish line, just waiting for that time threshold to cross. Then, immediately, they all try to to a 1 inch sprint to the line.
Old 05-25-07, 02:03 PM
VT Biker

Bikes: Cannondale R700 (2005)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Dial_tone]It worked out okay for Robin Hood.

While both did wear tights, the fact that Robin also had a feather in his cap gives him the pass.
Old 05-25-07, 02:19 PM
bmike
Bye Bye

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by VT Biker
Originally Posted by Dial_tone
It worked out okay for Robin Hood.
While both did wear tights, the fact that Robin also had a feather in his cap gives him the pass.
And he did have a woman involved... not just a sport shoe contract.
Old 05-25-07, 02:24 PM
KramerTC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by El Diablo Rojo
Well finally the ones in charge are getting brought out into the light. They are just as guilty as the riders and it's time they pay the price along with them.

IMHO they should just cut a deal with the peloton and let them all confess and then get on with the testing and the racing.
This seems like the only logical outcome at this point. Finally! Doctors, and directors are coming out.
Old 05-25-07, 02:46 PM
bodaciousguy
faster than your mom

Bikes: R600, Specialized Tarmac Pro, Prophet w/ X0 components.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"I think the riders (and athletes in general) would be happy to stop doping if there a way to identify that other riders were staying clean."

I never thought of it that way. You could actually put some of the blame on testing because they are not doing a good enough job.
Old 05-25-07, 04:22 PM
erader

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"It's possible that I'm not a hero anymore," he said. "I'm sorry if I've disappointed people. And for those for whom I was a hero, I'm sorry. They'll have to find new heroes now."

it takes a real champ to come clean and we all know the only tour winner not to dope was greg lemond .

bjarne riis -- aka "Mr. 61% -- was still the best and those that couldn't follow were doping too.

ALL HAIL BJARNE RIIS!!

ed rader

Old 05-25-07, 04:27 PM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by erader
"It's possible that I'm not a hero anymore," he said. "I'm sorry if I've disappointed people. And for those for whom I was a hero, I'm sorry. They'll have to find new heroes now."

it takes a real champ to come clean and we all know the only tour winner not to dope was greg lemond .

bjarne riis -- aka "Mr. 61% -- was still the best and those that couldn't follow were doping too.

ALL HAIL BJARNE RIIS!!

ed rader

agreed.
Old 05-25-07, 04:40 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by bodaciousguy
I never thought of it that way. You could actually put some of the blame on testing because they are not doing a good enough job.
Sure blame the chemists. We have to work in the real world where many times the chemist/instrument can detect the compound but yet we cannot meet the statistical burden and have to accept the null. Furthermore, many of the doping agents are endogenous and highly variable so the “normal” range is large enough to drive a truck through.
Old 05-25-07, 05:04 PM
El Diablo Rojo
Banned.

Bikes: Ridley Noah-Scott Addict-Orbea Ordu

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

ALL HAIL BJARNE RIIS!!

ed rader

If said champ comes clean before he gets caught. Riis knew he'd be outed sooner than later, this was damage control not something to be commended. He would have taken his dirty little secret to the grave if he had thought that he could have kept it hidden. Real champ my arse.
Old 05-25-07, 07:49 PM
rufvelo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If said champ comes clean before he gets caught. Riis knew he'd be outed sooner than later, this was damage control not something to be commended. He would have taken his dirty little secret to the grave if he had thought that he could have kept it hidden. Real champ my arse.
Agreed. I'm trying to recall one name, anyone, who willingly admitted to doping AND had everything to lose AND would never have been caught - ever!
Old 05-25-07, 07:50 PM
erader

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
do you have ANY EXAMPLES of this ever happening ?

ed rader
Old 05-25-07, 08:49 PM
roadgator
raodmaster shaman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
at least he isn't denying to the bitter end like some other riders (hamilton, ullrich etc) he saw the writing on the wall, and gave a complete admission before he ended up getting sanctioned. and he very well may have never got sanctioned considering this was a decade ago. what could the doping boards do now?

and this wasn't some half assed "i was only preparing to dope" or "i only did it for a week". he said "i did it for 5 years and you can have my yellow jersey"

its not really news in that everyone already knew the peleton was doped to the gills during the 90's, but at least it lifts the secrecy. and to that i say bravo.

Now he just has to live up to the talk and enforce a strict anti-doping program at CSC.
Old 05-26-07, 05:40 AM
El Diablo Rojo
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
do you have ANY EXAMPLES of this ever happening ?

ed rader

Nope and that's my point. Everyone always talks about how David Millar came clean...well he only admitted to doping after he was caught...not exactly the most honorable way to come clean. He wasn't much better than the rest with his constant denials during the investigation into doping within Cofidas. Bottom line they all live in denial, acting as if they have never crossed the line and sure that they won't get caught. This is why I believe that the UCI should offer a one time amnesty to any rider who steps forward, admits doping and tells who provided them with the products. I think the last part is very important, I don't want to hear these guys come forward and say, "Yes I doped but I never saw anyone else dope and I got my drugs from the highschool kid down the street". I agree with VT that if you confess and are given this one time get out of jail free card, the next offense is a lifetime ban from competition.
Old 05-26-07, 05:46 AM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Nope and that's my point. Everyone always talks about how David Millar came clean...well he only admitted to doping after he was caught...not exactly the most honorable way to come clean. He wasn't much better than the rest with his constant denials during the investigation into doping within Cofidas. Bottom line they all live in denial, acting as if they have never crossed the line and sure that they won't get caught. This is why I believe that the UCI should offer a one time amnesty to any rider who steps forward, admits doping and tells who provided them with the products. I think the last part is very important, I don't want to hear these guys come forward and say, "Yes I doped but I never saw anyone else dope and I got my drugs from the highschool kid down the street". I agree with VT that if you confess and are given this one time get out of jail free card, the next offense is a lifetime ban from competition.

Maybe I'm just too understanding, but IMO Zabel didn't have to go to Germany, and confess. Fingers weren't being pointed at him.

The fact that he went, and sat alongside, and confessed with Aldag shows a level of class that you don't see very much in the pro peloton.
Old 05-26-07, 05:53 AM
El Diablo Rojo
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by botto
Maybe I'm just too understanding, but IMO Zabel didn't have to go to Germany, and confess. Fingers weren't being pointed at him.

The fact that he went, and sat alongside, and confessed with Aldag shows a level of class that you don't see very much in the pro peloton.
Look I'm huge fan of Zabel, but he didn't just come out of the big blue sky and confess. He knew, just like Riis, that he would eventually be implicated in the growing Telekom scandal. It was damage control plain and simple. Get your message out first and control the spin.

You are correct that Zabel could have taken the same route as most and denied, denied, denied. With his reputation he probably would have been believed by the majority of cycling fans. Still had he come out after Puerto and said, "For the sake of my sport I am coming forward with my doping" that would have taken guts and he'd be a hero for it.
Old 05-26-07, 06:03 AM
Lithuania
Oh The Huge Manatee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
EDR,

at this point could anyone come out and not look like they were admitting it because they would inevitably be caught anyway?

I would think a lot of people are pretty nervous at being outed at this point.
Old 05-26-07, 06:15 AM
El Diablo Rojo
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by riskus
EDR,

at this point could anyone come out and not look like they were admitting it because they would inevitably be caught anyway?

I would think a lot of people are pretty nervous at being outed at this point.
I think that are several big names that could come clean for the sake of the sport and be considered hero's. There are hundreds of lesser names that could do the same. If someone like Boonen or Oscar Freire just stood up and admitted to doping it would be huge. My point is that nobody except Jasper Skibby and a few others have admitted to doping with out first being implicated.
Old 05-26-07, 06:35 AM
DogBoy
No one carries the DogBoy

Bikes: Roubaix Expert Di2, Jamis Renegade, Surly Disc Trucker, Cervelo P2, CoMotion Tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Riis' admission is not brave. He has nothing to lose. I personally think he should be barred from a pro-tour team for 4 years just like riders that are caught. Maybe drop it to 2 years since he admitted it. It takes no guts to admit to something with no consequenses. For example. I admit it...when I was 7 years old and my mother couldn't find that $20 bill, its because I snagged it off the dresser. Had I admitted it then there would be some serious hiney burn to deal with, but now...who cares?
Old 05-26-07, 06:40 AM
Snicklefritz

Location: In the middle of horse country, in The Garden State
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DogBoy
Riis' admission is not brave. He has nothing to lose. I personally think he should be barred from a pro-tour team for 4 years just like riders that are caught. Maybe drop it to 2 years since he admitted it. It takes no guts to admit to something with no consequenses. For example. I admit it...when I was 7 years old and my mother couldn't find that $20 bill, its because I snagged it off the dresser. Had I admitted it then there would be some serious hiney burn to deal with, but now...who cares?
Old 05-26-07, 08:37 AM
rufvelo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DogBoy
Riis' admission is not brave. He has nothing to lose. I personally think he should be barred from a pro-tour team for 4 years just like riders that are caught....
Absolutely. Ban Riis for 4 yrs from running a pro team. So the deterrent is you can't get away today, or even 10 years later when if your not actively competing, you can't be intimately connected to the sport.
Old 05-26-07, 08:39 AM
rufvelo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
...Still had he come out after Puerto and said, "For the sake of my sport I am coming forward with my doping" that would have taken guts and he'd be a hero for it.
+1.

I would have a lot more respect for him had he done that. This was just a question of time when the truth would come out - a few former teammates probably also picked up the phone to ask for his 'support' and he knew the outcome if he didn't oblige.
Old 05-26-07, 11:27 AM
roadgator
raodmaster shaman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my point is that, at any time an admission is better than a denial. perhaps the circumstances make this particular admission less than noble, but its pretty refreshing to hear any cyclist say "i did it"
Old 05-26-07, 11:34 AM
Trouduc
NTM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roadgator
my point is that, at any time an admission is better than a denial. perhaps the circumstances make this particular admission less than noble, but its pretty refreshing to hear any cyclist say "i did it"
Absolutely. Cycling has reached the point where actually admitting that there is a problem is a good thing.
I'm just waiting for the three musketeers of U.S. cycling to come to terms with their cheating ways....
Old 05-26-07, 02:08 PM
erader

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roadgator
i hear you and to sanction a guy this long after the fact -- which is not possible from what i understand -- will guarantee that no one else will admit to doping.

ed rader

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.