Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

IGHs & temperature

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

IGHs & temperature

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-21, 11:14 AM
anga

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 21 Posts
IGHs & temperature

How hot do IGHs get when used continuously?
Any differences between models?
Assume well lubricated.
Old 09-09-21, 11:37 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
I've never known any of my IGH's to be any temperature other than ambient.

Granted, all IGH's have some internal friction of some degree or another, but the difference in total system efficiency between an IGH & a conventional derailleur system is not that great, if there is one at all.

When you factor in chain angle & drivetrain lubrication, cleanliness, cog sizes, etc...between a broken-in Rohloff & conventional derailleur drivetrain, the Rohloff is actually more efficient in some ratios (direct, 1:1) & within a few percent in others. What's a 3% difference at 200 watts input? 6 watts? Certainly not enough to make a detectable difference in real world use.

Other IGH's aren't as efficient as a Rohloff, especially if neglected. But, certainly not enough to be concerned about from a thermal perspective.

All that being said, & being an owner of a N380, I'll tell you the Nuvinci is a wasteful friction box. Friction is actually it's method of operation. Though I never noted it to get warm, it is probably better suited to an ebike where drivetrain efficiency just doesn't matter. I had had high hopes for the N380 & was sorely disappointed. It has been removed from the non-ebike it was on & has been hanging in the garage for the last several years. Maybe someday...

Last edited by base2; 09-09-21 at 11:45 AM.
Likes For base2:
Old 09-09-21, 12:50 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
Ambient air temp is probably your greatest factor.
If it's WAAAAY below freezing, the hub probably won't get very warm.
Curious as to the why of the question.
Old 09-09-21, 01:40 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
No noticeable rise in temperature. With the stock lubricating grease, my Alfine 8sp hub in extreme cold was very stiff feeling, and no amount of riding would improve it.

A fit cyclist might be able to output 300W of power over some time, but it would take a significant fraction (>10%) of that power to heat up the hub noticeably.
Old 09-09-21, 05:44 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by anga
How hot do IGHs get when used continuously?
Any differences between models?
Assume well lubricated.
I can only speak about my Nexus 8 - no noticeable heat after 2-3 hours of continuous use.
Old 09-09-21, 11:29 PM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
It depends on whether your IGH contains a coaster brake. Without I do not know of any heat issues, while with you can toast one on long mountain descents without the addition of fins and lots of really high melting point grease.
Old 09-10-21, 01:27 AM
anga

Originally Posted by base2
I've never known any of my IGH's to be any temperature other than ambient.

Granted, all IGH's have some internal friction of some degree or another, but the difference in total system efficiency between an IGH & a conventional derailleur system is not that great, if there is one at all.

When you factor in chain angle & drivetrain lubrication, cleanliness, cog sizes, etc...between a broken-in Rohloff & conventional derailleur drivetrain, the Rohloff is actually more efficient in some ratios (direct, 1:1) & within a few percent in others. What's a 3% difference at 200 watts input? 6 watts? Certainly not enough to make a detectable difference in real world use.

Other IGH's aren't as efficient as a Rohloff, especially if neglected. But, certainly not enough to be concerned about from a thermal perspective.

All that being said, & being an owner of a N380, I'll tell you the Nuvinci is a wasteful friction box. Friction is actually it's method of operation. Though I never noted it to get warm, it is probably better suited to an ebike where drivetrain efficiency just doesn't matter. I had had high hopes for the N380 & was sorely disappointed. It has been removed from the non-ebike it was on & has been hanging in the garage for the last several years. Maybe someday...
Thank you for the detailed response.

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Ambient air temp is probably your greatest factor.
If it's WAAAAY below freezing, the hub probably won't get very warm.
Curious as to the why of the question.
I live in the south of India, where temperatures rarely go below 50F. Most of the year it exceeds 85F. Summers can be 122F +

Suggested grease for internal lubrication is NLGI 00.
Probably need to adjust NLGI grade for higher ambient temperature, given that most of forum experience is in much colder locations.

Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
No noticeable rise in temperature. With the stock lubricating grease, my Alfine 8sp hub in extreme cold was very stiff feeling, and no amount of riding would improve it.

A fit cyclist might be able to output 300W of power over some time, but it would take a significant fraction (>10%) of that power to heat up the hub noticeably.
Thanks

Originally Posted by Reynolds
I can only speak about my Nexus 8 - no noticeable heat after 2-3 hours of continuous use.
Thanks

Originally Posted by Geepig
It depends on whether your IGH contains a coaster brake. Without I do not know of any heat issues, while with you can toast one on long mountain descents without the addition of fins and lots of really high melting point grease.
Thanks. No coaster brake.
Old 09-10-21, 08:52 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 535 Posts
That’s the beauty of an IGH hub, never give it a 2nd thought, just ride it. Worked with my Schwinn growing up, works with my Schwinn now.
Tim
Likes For tkamd73:
Old 09-10-21, 12:49 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1670 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
Probably need to adjust NLGI grade for higher ambient temperature, given that most of forum experience is in much colder locations.
A good quality NLGI 00 should maintain stable properties and lubricity between -34ºC (-30F) to 177ºC (350F).
Old 09-10-21, 03:02 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
How much power are YOU going to put out when it's 122F?
The only thing that would possibly concern me temperature wise, is if you had a motor assist to that hub and rode it for somewhat "extended" periods.
Old 09-10-21, 08:10 PM
anga

Originally Posted by tcs
A good quality NLGI 00 should maintain stable properties and lubricity between -34ºC (-30F) to 177ºC (350F).
I am concerned about the possibility of leaking. Is 0 or 1 preferable over 00?

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
How much power are YOU going to put out when it's 122F?
The only thing that would possibly concern me temperature wise, is if you had a motor assist to that hub and rode it for somewhat "extended" periods.
Of concern is the power output of the sun! Even at 35C (95F), metal can get hot under direct sunlight.

Do higher ambient temperatures require higher NLGI grades to minimize leaks?

Read in a non-bicycle forum that NLGI grade decreases by 1 or 2 going from Florida to Canada.

Any experiences from Arizona?
Old 09-11-21, 05:38 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1670 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
I am concerned about the possibility of leaking.
If it's a Sturmey, fill the labyrinth seals with heavier grease.
Likes For tcs:
Old 09-12-21, 06:24 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Of concern is the power output of the sun! Even at 35C (95F), metal can get hot under direct sunlight.
The same bearing greases and oils experience much higher temperatures in automotive applications without failure. A lube's life in a bike hub is much easier.
You didn't say what sort of hub you have. My experience with Shimano Nexus-8 and Alfine-11 is that they may leak if the bike is stored on its side, especially drive-side down. Otherwise, leakage is not an issue.