Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Recommend tape to patch tubes?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-23, 08:04 AM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 274 Posts

I'm looking for tape that can be used to patch up tubes just for a few minutes as I continue soaking the tube in a bath to look for more holes.

Sometimes a hole doesn't reveal until the bigger hole has been patched first. Even the smallest pinholes can evade.

Sometimes I finish up a rema/patch, only to discover another smaller hole right after.

The tape would not only seal a hole, but also act as a marker telling me where to emery and rema it.

I would draw the line to toss the tube if I decide it has too many surprise holes.

Likes For soyabean:
Old 09-19-23, 08:46 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
FWIW, someone suggested marking holes with a silver Sharpie. Works like a charm.

I've put a thumb over one big leak to find a smaller leak, but I'll often just do a two-step. Fix one, let the glue set, and at least mark the next one if I'm too close to the end of the Patch Day to re-patch one at the end of the batch.
Old 09-19-23, 08:48 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 966 Posts
I never had that issue, all leaks are evident under water. If it's loosing air fast I'll just hold the leak spot, mark and continues the water test. Pump the tube up more is the only other suggestion I could have. It also could be that you have a failing tube, it does happen.
Old 09-19-23, 08:52 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
I can't imagine a tape that would hold well enough as air is added to the tube and the rubber stretches. If there was such, then it will likely be a pain to get off.

Do you flat so often that just putting a new tube in wouldn't be quicker and let you spend your time on other things.
Old 09-19-23, 10:32 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Patch the hole with permanent patch.. your going to fix it anyway... right?
Likes For trailangel:
Old 09-19-23, 10:40 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Tape? I saw somebody use that flex seal tape and it worked, but when I used it, it didn't... of course I may have used too much air. If you're patching a tube that many times, just replace the damn thing.
Likes For Jax Rhapsody:
Old 09-19-23, 11:13 AM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,839 Times in 832 Posts
Many of the tubes I patch are from donated bikes, where I don't know the history of that tube or what it's been rolled through. I like to identify all the holes in a tube prior to patching, because if a tube has 3 or more active leaks, I'm just going to toss it. Big holes can mask the presence of smaller holes, so yes, holding Mr. Thumb over the big hole (or rolling up the tube a bit) keeps enough air in it to locate the smaller holes. And yes, +1 on the silver Sharpie.
Old 09-19-23, 11:19 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
How are you going to clean the tape residue off to make sure the patch bonds?
Likes For Kontact:
Old 09-19-23, 11:34 AM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 173 Posts
Duct tape adhesive is rubber-based and could perhaps work, but I've never tried it. Probably compatible with the rubber cement patching prep in case of residue.

Might give it a try, anyway.
Old 09-19-23, 06:07 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4358 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
At that point just get a new tube. That is a lot of work to save a $5-10 item.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 09-20-23, 04:28 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts

This is almost good enough as a semi-permanent fix. It does still leak a little, and it doesn't bond to butyl so I'm not sure about longevity (if using as long term patch), but it's good enough to get me home, and basically it'll be a super slow leak with similar loss rate as a latex tube. You'll want to cut little pieces of it for your specific use case and it may not come off as easily as you would like. Not sure if it's worth the effort but it's an option.
Old 09-20-23, 05:57 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by soyabean
I'm looking for tape that can be used to patch up tubes just for a few minutes as I continue soaking the tube in a bath to look for more holes.
As I've probably written here before: I once patched a puncture with Super Glue (cyanoacrylate) and a bit of plastic bag. Not tape, but fast setting - might be worth a try, or I might just have been lucky (luckier would have been no puncture).