Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Second hand Olympic Weights?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-24, 07:50 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,013 Times in 1,112 Posts

We’re looking for a deal on a quality set but I don’t know what to look for. $1 per pound seems pretty expensive for used but the prices don’t go much lower than that for anything my wife will let in the house (rusty). And the bar? Bearings? Bushings? Bolt on or circlip? If you know/use Olympic weights please advise.
Old 02-22-24, 08:57 AM
Speedskater

Bikes: Bob Jackson, Trek & Sampson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
During the COVID Lockdown, their prices went thru the roof. Shipping cost skyrocketed, so new heavy low cost items disappeared from the market.
Old 02-22-24, 09:07 AM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 175 Posts
Black Rustoleum would work wonders if you just need to make some weights look a little prettier.
Old 02-22-24, 10:17 AM
Classtime 

Ok.
But what about the barbell? Particularly the sleeve--Does it make much difference whether it is fastened with a bolt or a circlip? Whether it has needle bearings or just bushings? OR, is the difference akin to Ultegra vs. Dura Ace and Ultegra (or even 105) is fine?
Old 02-22-24, 10:35 AM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 175 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
Ok.
But what about the barbell? Particularly the sleeve--Does it make much difference whether it is fastened with a bolt or a circlip? Whether it has needle bearings or just bushings? OR, is the difference akin to Ultegra vs. Dura Ace and Ultegra (or even 105) is fine?
Honestly, if you are even asking the question (especially in a 50+ forum), you will most likely be fine with the cheapest available. Tons of people use barbells with no sleeves at all.
Old 02-22-24, 12:44 PM
Classtime 

I would likely be fine riding my 200 miles per week on a rusty Schwinn Varsity but I know better.

Last edited by Classtime; 02-22-24 at 12:50 PM.
Likes For Classtime:
Old 02-22-24, 01:53 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Why do people insist on responding when they have nothing useful to add?

New Olympic weigh sets are not all that expensive unless one buys "bumper" type. A new Olympic barbell can be bought for less than $100 and the primary consideration is its weight which can vary from 20 lbs for a "training" barbell to 44 lbs for a true Olympic barbell. A starter weight set can be purchased new for $167
https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle...&impID=6327063

Where you may be able to save some money is when an individual is selling a squat rack/cage along with a bench and then it is important whether you do not mind bolting it to the floor. I purposely bought a rack that does not need to be bolted to the floor in my garage and that has 1 inch holes for rack attachments and a 2x2 frame. The main drawback to the Titan rack is that the holes are not marked and this becomes a DIY project.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

At 73 I am not going to be exceeding the capabilities of the Titan T-2 rack and do not need 500 lbs of weights for my workouts. Lots of weight training specific websites where you can find useful information from people with hands on experience. There are thousands of youtube videos as well by people with useful information to provide - what a concept!

As one ages weight training is great as an indoor cardio training regardless of the weather and I can go into my garage three days of the week for a 60 minute workout. Training with free weights improves balance and increases bone strength and upper torso strength which helps with my hill climbing considerably early in the season.

The big advantage of a full squat rack is having safety pins and being able to add spotter arms so as to avoid injury. Too many videos of people failing with a squat and getting badly injured or dying when they mistake and the designated spotter in the gym fails to catch it in time. I spent $2,000 for my initial equipment but it is in my garage and so no monthly payments and no need to drive to a gym and no worries about getting some virus at the gym. At my local gym there is no one around to provide any assistance of any kind - been there and done that.

https://strengthlevel.com/strength-s...icep-extension

Likes For Calsun:
Old 02-22-24, 06:04 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
There is so much used (some of it even unused!) Covid influenced equipment floating around out there right now that it baffles me why the stuff is still selling for a buck or more a pound.
As for going high end or bare bones, it makes little to no difference except in your head.
Old 02-23-24, 08:46 AM
ArgoMan

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 22 Posts
Former serious powerlifter here. Don't worry about the mostly irrelevant distinctions, such as "bearing vs. bushing bars." Those things refer to how the sleeve of the bar (the end-part where the plates fit onto) are constructed. Unless you're very serious about developing the "fast" lifts, like the clean and snatch (98.8% of all lifters are NOT), then a good quality bushing bar is more than adequate. In fact, the old bolt bar is what we all grew up on, and what we find in the big box gyms. They're fine for most folks. I had a cheap CAPP Beast Bar that I cut my teeth on and it was great. $125 on Amazon. Bushing bar. But if you just want to get started, look online at York's website. They have a pretty good bar and plate set for about $400. 300 pounds of plates, which is more than most of us need. Iron Company has something similar. Private message me if you need any more help. Good luck!.
Likes For ArgoMan:
Old 02-24-24, 08:13 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
I would likely be fine riding my 200 miles per week on a rusty Schwinn Varsity but I know better.
The Horror…The Horror
Old 02-24-24, 04:32 PM
Calsun
Banned

Checking the Craigslist postings in my area I found only a few commercial racks being sold. These were probably purchased by small gym operators to be able to accommodate more customers during the pandemic. They are all too large for the space available in my garage and they all need to be bolted to the floor.

Three types of weight plates, the bumper ones that are more expensive and take up more space on the barbell, the rubber coated plates that have a space for your fingers, and the cast metal plates. I bought these which have a plastic material applied to the metal. They sell for $2.58 a pound and all gym equipment usually has a price that includes free shipping within the continental USA.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

A rack with 4 posts and safety pins is going to be much safer that using a 2-post squat rack or no rack at all.
Old 02-25-24, 04:54 PM
Classtime 

OP here: Got a deal on a Rogue Ohio bar which should be our one and only bar along with 4 new rubber( to make my wife happy) 2.5 pounders from Johnson Fitness. While I perfect my form, I'll look for a deal on pretty bumper plates a pair at a time.
Thanks All.
Old 02-26-24, 01:54 PM
Speedskater

I just spoke to my son (he works at an equipment shop). He said that weights are available, but shipping costs make them a lot more expensive than in the pre COVID era.
Old 02-27-24, 12:13 PM
Calsun
Banned

My focus is on safety and not cost in putting together my garage gym. I do not want to injure myself with free weights and have a long recovery period or possibly death which does occur.

Whether one spends $400 for a set of weight plates or waits for months to maybe save $200, is not how I chose to operate at this point in my life. If I need to drive 100 miles to safe $100 with a Craiglist seller I know that I need to add the $150 cost to drive my truck 200 miles round trip to determine if I am really saving money. All the weight equipment resellers provide free shipping and they are getting very good freight rates with their shipping volumes.
Old 02-27-24, 12:22 PM
ArgoMan

Calsun, I don't know how old you are. But any sort of hard exercise can be really dangerous. I tore a muscle in my mid back about 8 years ago while doing a warm up squat set. I wasn't focusing, was out of form, and bingo! Unbelievably painful. Yet I'll say this. Take it easy, be mindful, and you'll do just fine. If you're getting into the barbell thing, I suggest that you take a look at Mark Rippetoe's "Starting Strength" book. He's all over Youtube. On my lifting days, I typically first take a spin on my road bike to warm up, then I hit the weights. Take your time, keep good form!
Old 02-27-24, 02:08 PM
Speedskater

Originally Posted by Calsun
. All the weight equipment resellers provide free shipping and they are getting very good freight rates with their shipping volumes.
My son just said the opposite and they sell lots of equipment.
Old 02-28-24, 12:42 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2496 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
An Olympic Barbell weighs 45lb. Starting with 2.5lb plates is insanity. Buying plates two by two is insanity. This thread is insanity. $413 for a power rack intended for use with free weights is insanity when the user eschews free weights. Useful information ahead: Join a Gym. Get over yourself. Join a Gym. Follow a real "Beginning Strength" Full Body Workout. Most times you are adding weight at 10lb/wk.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 02-28-24, 06:58 AM
Classtime 

Leisesturm That is some good info right there! 🤡
Old 02-28-24, 11:04 AM
ArgoMan

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
An Olympic Barbell weighs 45lb. Starting with 2.5lb plates is insanity. Buying plates two by two is insanity. This thread is insanity. $413 for a power rack intended for use with free weights is insanity when the user eschews free weights. Useful information ahead: Join a Gym. Get over yourself. Join a Gym. Follow a real "Beginning Strength" Full Body Workout. Most times you are adding weight at 10lb/wk.
Calsun , I have to tell you, it's statements like this ("get over yourself") that make me often avoid asking questions on forums like this. Be assured that all of your inquiries are welcome and legitimate. Now, Leisestirm does have a point: you can join a gym for as little as $10 a month (Planet Fitness), which will give you all the equipment you need. I personally built a home gym so that I can just walk into my garage and workout without driving anywhere. Whatever fits your needs. I am blessed enough to be able to afford whatever equipment I may desire or need. I understand that is not everyone's reality. But if you can afford around $750-$1,000, then you can obtain all your ever need for a home gym, especially if you can get some used equipment. But for $1,000 you can get over 8 years of membership at a Planet Fitness! Just b sure to figure in the gas....
Old 02-28-24, 01:22 PM
McFlyRides

Bikes: SuperCaliber, SuperSix Evo

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
I didn’t go super cheap, but waited for sales when I put my home gym together.

I have a modest set of plates from Standard Barbell, 2x45, 4x25, 4x10, 2x5, 2x2.5. That gives me plenty in total and lots of small increments. I may have found the 2.5 plates on Amazon. Cheap clips from Amazon.

I did a factory second bar from Rogue.

Bells of Steel Light Commercial rack with the lat pull down attachment.

I forget where my adjustable incline bench came from.

I also have pairs of dumbbells up to 30 pounds or so. No kettles yet.

I’m 50+, and will never attempt a 1-rep max again, so that’s plenty of overall weight for my goals. No nearby gyms have the free weights I’m looking for, and their desirable machines are always busy. Plus I really like putting on my own tunes and working out whenever I want without driving to a gym.
Old 02-28-24, 01:27 PM
ArgoMan

[QUOTE=McFlyRides;23170176]I didn’t go super cheap, but waited for sales when I put my home gym together.

I have a modest set of plates from Standard Barbell, 2x45, 4x25, 4x10, 2x5, 2x2.5. That gives me plenty in total and lots of small increments. I may have found the 2.5 plates on Amazon. Cheap clips from Amazon.

That's all 95% of lifters will ever need. I was able to pick up 285 lbs of old school USA made Ivanko plates on Craigslist for $285. That was a crazy bargain, considering that a pair of Ivanko machined 45s now go for well over $200. I have Ivanko pressure ring collars, yet find myself using the cheapo clips all the time. Most guys can get it going with a cheap bar and a set of 45s, and work up from there.
Likes For ArgoMan:
Old 02-28-24, 01:49 PM
McFlyRides

Originally Posted by ArgoMan
I was able to pick up 285 lbs of old school USA made Ivanko plates on Craigslist for $285.
Nice score! As long as they are kept in a dry place, plates stay in good shape forever. A bar will never wear out really, unless you are a doing the Olympic lifts and dropping them from overhead all day (and in that case a good bar can be serviced if needed). If they are buried in a damp garage or outbuilding for years, they can get rusty, for sure.
Old 02-28-24, 02:57 PM
ArgoMan

Originally Posted by McFlyRides
Nice score! As long as they are kept in a dry place, plates stay in good shape forever. A bar will never wear out really, unless you are a doing the Olympic lifts and dropping them from overhead all day (and in that case a good bar can be serviced if needed). If they are buried in a damp garage or outbuilding for years, they can get rusty, for sure.
I bought one of those Rogue BnR bars. It's a "bare" steel bar; no chrome or nickel or any coating. I live in the desert with very dry conditions, yet rust will form on it becomes even remotely humid! It's developed a really nice patina.
Old 02-28-24, 06:15 PM
Calsun
Banned

Originally Posted by Speedskater
My son just said the opposite and they sell lots of equipment.
I have spent $2,500 on weight training equipment over the past 60 days and it all came with free shipping from the seller. That includes 3 barbells, a full complement of weight plates, spotter arms, safety straps, lat pull setup, J-hooks, and an adjustable weight bench. I have bought equipment from Titan Fitness and REP and Ritfit and Xmark and Amazon seller and never was I charged for shipping.

When I worked for a company that spent over $250,000 on air freight each year their FedEx rates were very low and it cost $80 to send an 80 lb printer sound enclosure from New Hampshire to California overnight. These companies realize that free shipping is important and so absorb the costs as part of their "cost of goods" as do all the people selling on Amazon.

There are hundreds of youtube videos showing how to properly do exercises to avoid injury. It takes an investment in time and in safety equipment, but it is much safer than going to a gym and trusting the people working there. I paid for a gym membership just prior to Covid and none of the people that worked there knew anything about free weight training and none of them were available to provide instruction on using the machines. The only thing that might have been of use was their spin classes.

One can get injured doing weight training but that is more true for riding a bike on the highway or on dirt trails.

This is an interesting article on a 93-year old rowing champion who has trained for the past 20 years using an indoor rowing machine and free weights.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/oth...ts/ar-AA1n7yhV
Old 02-28-24, 09:54 PM
McFlyRides

Originally Posted by ArgoMan
I bought one of those Rogue BnR bars. It's a "bare" steel bar; no chrome or nickel or any coating. I live in the desert with very dry conditions, yet rust will form on it becomes even remotely humid! It's developed a really nice patina.
yeah, I bet it looks cool broken in. 💪
Ive seen videos on how to treat them with 3 in 1 oil.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.